General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman and Ironman Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-30 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Half Ironman and Ironman Nutrition
How do you go about finding the right nutrition during a half iroman and ironman. Is it trail and error or do you look at what other people use and go from there. How do you know if your nutrition plan is working or not.

2007-04-30 6:06 PM
in reply to: #782368

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Half Ironman and Ironman Nutrition
If you do a search of this forum under something like 'nutrition' I'm sure you'll get 100's of hits, but yeah, alot of it is trial & error. Seeing what tastes good to you, what your stomach can handle, etc. A good rule of thumb to start with is to take your body weight x 2 and that is how many calories you should aim to take in each hour on the bike. What form it takes is very personal. Some people can handle solid foods and some can only take in liquids. Search around, try some different products and experiment during your long training rides. You also want to find out what they will be providing on the course & see how that treats you. For example, if they are providing Powerade on the run, but you don't like Powerade yo uwill have to adjust your plan for that.

Edited by drewb8 2007-04-30 6:07 PM
2007-04-30 6:11 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I am still learning and recently picked up a very good book (Recommended by someone in the Nutrition Forum) called "The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition" by Anita Bean.

Has lots of very good info with plenty of science to back it up.

The info in the book seems fresh and up to date with the current science of sports nutrition.

It is not the only authority out there, but is definitely a good place to start
2007-05-01 9:09 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

From Gordo's g-tips:

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/nutrition_body_composition/ironman_nutrition.html

As said above, find out what your race is providing and try to train with it to see if you can tolerate it. good luck

2007-05-01 3:50 PM

New user

All of the IM veterans we know keep hammering home the importance of having and following a nutrition plan, since so many people screw this up on race day and end up bonking. We just did a duathlon this last weekend and found that, because we were competing at a higher HR than zone two, it was almost impossible to eat--another reason why IM will be so great!

I'm in the same boat as you--trying to figure out what works by trial and error. I figure that the only times I'll be able to eat will be in T-1, on the bike and in T-2. I practice my nutrition plan on our long bike/run brick workouts, with Payday bars and PBJ sandwiches in my Bento Box. I eat a little piece (like 1/10 of a sandwich) about every 20 minutes, and that works for now, but I know I'll have to increase it for later. It's good to figure out what doesn't work for sure, especially knowing what will be on the course and what you'll want to avoid. For example, my husband can't tolerate Power Bars at all, which will be on the course for IM CDA.

The other thing to try--it works for me, at least--are any other ergogenic aids you might want to use on race day. I take 400 mg of caffeine a few hours into my long workouts and it really gives me a boost without any diuretic effects, but it doesn't work for everyone.
2007-05-03 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

There is a really good article in the June issue of Triathlete about nutrition.

One take away I had is to train with what they offer on the course. If you bring your own nutrition and something happens to it like you drop it or it get spoiled, you are kind of screwed and have to use the course stuff anyway.

Simple is better. Train with what they have on the course is really the easiest way to go as the next aid station will have xxx if you need it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman and Ironman Nutrition Rss Feed