General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramp after Swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-02 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: Calf Cramp after Swimming?
At the races I've done, each time I get out of the water or go to put my feet down when it gets shallow enough, I've gotten calf cramps. Today I swam a decent but not overly hard workout, and had the same thing happen.

Am I kicking too much or not kicking enough at the end? Any thoughts or anyone have the same problem (somehow, that makes it better, right?)

Thanks!

2007-05-02 7:25 AM
in reply to: #784812

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Calf Cramp after Swimming?

I get them to mostly in the pool from pushing off.

The theory I stick with is our feet are naturally pointing down when we swim nice and loose and them bam you push off hard and it is shock and muscles have to work quickly and hard.

I don't kick much swimming only one kick each leg with each arm cycle...in ows I don't kick at all except at the end. I really think it is from change of doing one motion over and over and then suddenly changing it up. 

I have done a number of things to try and get this better...one is strength training of my calves as I also had an achillies tendon injury in both my legs which they felt was partially from not having balanced strength in my calves. 

Other thing I do is make sure I drink something with electrolytes in it while swimming which normally means adding nuuns to water. I also take electrolyte pill or pills before I swim. If I forget I cramp, if I remember I don't. I also take them before and during races.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramp after Swimming? Rss Feed