General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Busy moms/dads- finding time to train Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-02 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Busy moms/dads- finding time to train
I've got my end goal in mind (finishing a sprint triathlon), and I've broken that down into the more immediate goal of getting in one good swimming, one good biking, and one good running session in per week.

There are some scheduling issues I'm going to have to overcome though if I'm ever going to be able to stick to that. My husband is a paramedic and works a 24 hour shift, followed by 48 off. His "off" days though are often taken up with teaching (He teaches all kinds of First Aid and CPR courses, and has a really awesome wilderness first aid class- if any of you in the TN/AL area are interested, PM me!). I am a stay home mom, and none of my kids are in school yet. In addition to that I take care of my friend's two kids during the week.

Besides my husband, who is also very busy and who is supposed to be training for this tri with me, there are only two people who I can leave my kids with. My mother in law, and my friend. My MIL works part time, so her mornings and weekends are her only free time. She also has a busy social life between her friends and going to all her grandkids baseball games, so I try not to impose on her too much. The other babysitter is my friend who's kids I watch all week long. So her only available times are when she's off work in the evenings (three nights a week- the other two she works late), and an occasional free weekend day.

There are a hundred other little things going on on a day to day basis, but you get the picture. How do you all find the time to train with little ones around all the time? I'm determined to do this, but right now any time management/ training schedule tips would be a great help with the busy and erratic schedule I have. Thanks in advance, I know I can't be the only frazzled one out there!

2007-05-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #785100

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Busy moms/dads- finding time to train

It's a balancing act that you really need to sit down with the spouse and seriously talk about.  We live in a day and age where everything has to be scheduled when you have a family.

Me?  I either get up early or have worked out a way that I get to work later than usual so I can fit my swim in in the morning.  Not ideal, but it is the only way I can get pool time until the summer and/or the baby gets more independent.

Come Ironman training this summer for November I'll be bringing my running stuff to work to get my daily runs in during lunch.

2007-05-02 9:22 AM

Memphis

I'm a new dad but I do have the luxury of working out during lunch each day. So going to work actually ensures I'll get in at least one workout. A few other weekdays I can squeeze in a second workout. Weekends I just have to make it known to my wife that I have to have a 1 - 2 hour block to get in a workout. This is usually done via some sort of compromise, such as if she gives me 2 hours in the morning she can have 2 hours in the afternoon to do whatever she wants to do.

Basically, it just comes down to making this a priority. Schedule time to train. Explain to your husband this is important to you and you need his support so that you can train. During his 48 hours off, actually put something on his calendar blocking off time that he will watch the kids so you can train.

Good luck!

Edited by Monker 2007-05-02 9:23 AM
2007-05-02 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran

Training for triathlons is time consuming; especially as you begin to ramp up.  But with good time management you can do it without too much problem.  Build a schedule of your week.  Mark out all the time you are committed to already.  Find your windows of opportunity.  With your husband's 24/48 situation the schedule will probably vary a lot week to week, but I am sure that there is some time in there.  The key is to protect that time and not let other things rob it.  If you said you were going running at 1030 a.m. , then watch out for other committments that will seem to be a high priority also. 

Good luck

2007-05-02 9:33 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

YMCA's usually have great kid places where you can drop them for a few hours while you work out.  

A bike trainer's been good for me. 

You could run before hubby wakes up/leaves for work, or go to the gym if it opens early enough.

So many options.  Buy a treadmill, buy a bike trainer, let them play at Kid Care (or whatever they call it). 

2007-05-02 9:36 AM

User image

Broomfield, CO
You sound very busy! And no, you are not the only frazzled one here!

I have a 3 year old daughter, so I try to schedule my workouts so it wouldn't impact family time. I workout in the mornings before work when she is sleeping or in the evenings after she goes to bed. I will also run during my lunch break. On the weekends, I will workout during her nap. Basically, her sleep time is my workout time.

2007-05-02 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Early morning and late evenings are your friend.  I would think that your husband and you should be able to work out something for 3 days a week for sprint training.  You should not really need more than 3 hours a week it sounds like so I would think that should not be a problem.  Also look for gyms with kids clubs.  That should take care of you swim days.
2007-05-02 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

It is a major struggle to find make the time to train.  But like anything if you want it bad enough you will set aside the time to train.  Here is how I tend to do it.

Mondays - Swim after work 7:00 PM til done (lift IF I have time and feel like it.)
Tuesdays - Run (w/kids) after work 7:00 PM or later Bike when I can before or after run.
Wednesdays - Swim after work (Like mondays)
Thursdays - Run/Bike run is tempo or speedwork, bike on trainer or outside.
Fridays - Rest day (most weeks, run sometimes)
Saturdays - Swim and bike (both with kids)
Sundays - Bike and Long run - Kids bike along on the run, tandem on the bike.

Now that works most times, but with foul weather and other stuff popping up it can get pretty hairy to get a workout in.

Now understand, I work 45-50 minutes from my house, leave for work at 7:00 AM and get home many nights at about 7:00 PM (rarely earlier).  Running during lunch does not work for me, because I have no shower facilities and work in an office.  The closest workout joint is 5-10 minutes away and I can't justify spending the 40-50 bucks a month to join that ON TOP of the YMCA membership.  I know my boss would say something if I went running and DIDN'T shower.

For you it sounds like you need to look your husbands schedule and then plan out when you can get a run/ride/swim time in around that.  With the 24/48 it means he would be home at times when you can do something, he just needs to be willing to watch kids.  Bike trainers and treadmills are great investments and can provide that outlet for a workout when you can't work it out any other way.

2007-05-02 10:40 AM
in reply to: #785164

User image

Regular
Tahoe City, CA
Same as a lot of the above... Get up super early to swim, ride the trainer during naps, and run after they are down for the night. I also bring the little one with me sometimes (pull them on my bike or push them on the run) which makes for a great workout. And in the winter for cross training I pull him while skate skiing.
It's amazing when you're really into something how you WILL find time.
You can do it.
2007-05-02 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I have 3 kids and I work part time and I certainly know the challenges. Over the past year, I have found that making exercise  a priority is the number one issue I have to deal with. I take the kids to the YMCA one day a week with me (they don't love going so sometimes it is a hassle, but I remind them that I do lots of things for them and I need them to do this for me), I take the kids with me - ie, push the baby in the jogger, pull the kids behind in the burley or run while they ride a bike. I also have found that I can strength train with them around and make it a game, use the ball for sit ups while they are playing, do lunges in the back yard while we are outside, etc. It is amazing how much time I can find for exercise when I make it a priority.

Good luck, try to make small changes to your schedule and incorporate new ways to get your exercise in and definitely trade off with your spouse for watching the kids. 

2007-05-02 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
First, as you can see from all of the other post, you are not alone.

I guess the simplistic answer is you do what you can, when you can.

For me, I am currently doing a lot more than I ever thought I would be able to find time for. It has been partly a functing of priorities (just making exercise a higher priority), partly time management (still not my strong suit). Also I now do things that I was unwilling to do in the past. I am not a morning person and I used to be unwilling to wake up early to exercise (now I am one of 5:00 am regulars at the pool twice a week). I also used to be unwilling to run on a treadmill or ride a spin bike or a trainer (I now have both in my basement and while I still far prefer to be outside, if I need to use either to get my workout in, I don't hesitate).

Good luck

2007-05-02 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Lots of great ideas! I have 4 boys, and for the first itme ever they are all in school at the same time! Woohoo! I thought I would have so much time, but I also work at home, and it is a challenge to fit everything in. I did a sprint when my kiids were little, though, and the gym was my best friend! I could drop them off at the children's area of the gym and get 2 sweet hours of training each day. Also I would put the two little guys in a bike trailer when the other two were in school. Lots of good leg work there. Long rides/runs on weekends were great beacuse my husband was home with the little ones. Do what you can and don't stress about it - have fun!
2007-05-02 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks everyone, you have given me some great advice to think about. I'll definitely look into the pricing at the Y. It's 30 minutes away, but if I can fit it into our budget, it would be TOTALLY worth it if I could drop the kids off and get in a really good swim. The gym we're members at is right across the street from us, which is good, but it is a smaller gym with no pool, track, or stationary bikes. It is good for treadmills and weight training, though.

I think it would be a great idea to actually write out a schedule on a calendar. We'd probably be a lot more likely to follow something that is written down than something that is abstract.

Also, my husband is always willing to watch the kids for me, but I need to make sure he gets his time, too. He's training for this tri with me, as well as getting in his usual bike routine that he does to try and drop a few pounds.

Again, thank you all. It's very encouraging to know that there are folks out there with lives as hectic or more hectic than mine who still manage to succeed at this!
2007-05-02 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
Up at 5am most mornings to get my runs in before the rest of the house is even thinking about getting up. Commute to and from work on the bike. Swim 2 times per week from 7-9. After I get the girls to sleep of course. The wife hated my training schedule leading up to my first tri back in March. As soon as I got off work, for at least 2 hours, all I did was train. Now that I have a base built, all I have to do is get up really, really early. An added benefit is that since I have been getting up earlier, my family gets a hot breakfast prepared by Dad. They love me now!
2007-05-02 5:04 PM

User image

I feel for your situation - although I only have one daughter (7 yrs old).  My husband is a flight paramedic and an avid/addicted triathlete. He works 3 24 hr shifts every 6 days and I work full time.  My lifesavers have been the childcare program at the gym ($1.50/hr for ea kid) open until 8pm, the trainer so that I can ride the bike at home while life continues at home, and going to the gym for swims at lunch.  This way I can get my workouts in without impacting my husband's work/training schedule. 

Good luck.  Enjoy your training time!

2007-05-03 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Tri4good- How cool that your husband's a flight medic. Mine has been in EMS for 13 years (medic for 11), and really wants to be a flight medic. BUT, they have a weight limit for their crew and he's got some weight he needs to drop before they'll take him on. He's not extremely overweight, but he's got some chub, and the fact that he's 6'3" and very muscular doesn't really help. I'm hoping that training for this tri with me will get him in shape to get the job he really wants.

Thanks for the advice!

2007-05-03 9:39 AM

User image

Teamwork and a joint change in lifestyle (primarily exercise and nutrition) have made the biggest impact on our lives.  Our daughter is loving it too - hoping to do a kid's tri late this season.

Keep up the good work and log your training so we can send you inspires!!  Is your hubby using the site too?  The site is wonderful and I get inspiration from watching others logs too.  You/hubby can also see my husband's log and training - his screename is "Bill". 

Good luck to you and your sweetie.  Send me a note if I can help!

2007-05-03 9:45 AM

Master
STL
Everyone has pretty much said what i do...one thing i plan on doing this summer, is taking the kids to the track with me (every now and then). they can either play in the sand pit (long jump), run around the track with me or bring some balls and play in the field.
2007-05-03 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Tri4good- thank you! I will definitely check your logs out. Unfortunately I don't have much to log yet- all I've managed to squeeze in was a 1 mile jog yesterday.

I'm really excited to show hubby this site, but when he's not working, he's teaching, and when he's not teaching, he's been working on his website, so I haven't really had much of a chance yet. Hopefully things will slow down a little bit soon though, and I'll get him hooked on here

That's really cool that your daughter is into this too. I didn't even know that they did kids triathlons. I'm looking forward to introducing this to mine as soon as they're old enough.

goobergirl- I could take the older kids to workouts with me, but my 18 month old is a real challenge!

Edited by dylanslovey 2007-05-03 9:57 AM
2007-05-03 10:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
YMCA. I have two girls and one on the way. Without the Y, I'd have a hard time getting any workouts in. You can drop the kids off for an hour to 90 minutes so you can workout.
Your other option is a jogger stroller, there are double jogger strollers out there. Its a pain to push two kids but its better than not working out.
Between using the Y and a jogger stroller, its not a problem getting 200+ minutes in each week.
I usually try to get one child free workout a week in so that way I'm not confined by time or place.
Good Luck.
2007-05-03 11:42 AM

User image

Master
NJ
definitely not the only frazzled one - as hectic as it can be, I find that Im less frazzled after managing to squeeze in a workout. Do you have a gym with childcare avail.? Now that it's finally nice out, kids go in double jogger and we're off. They're expensive but worth the investment. There have been a few used ones on CL (Craigslist) in my area so maybe check that out if you want - sticking to a schedule for working out is the most difficult but best things I've done - even though the laundry's still there, dinner isn't ready, beds are unmade some days, it all seems easier to finish if I've had some time to myself to exercise and train. Good luck on your tri!!

2007-05-03 12:59 PM

Pro
Andover
Even though my wife and I don't have any kids, I still find it hard to get my workouts in some days. On several occasions I've said to her, "Man! I don't know how Aaron/Seth/Others with kids do it!"

And, now that I've read how you folks do it, I say again, "I don't know how you do it!"

Hats off to all of you for your dedication!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Busy moms/dads- finding time to train Rss Feed