Other Resources My Cup of Joe » how do you grade/rate a public school? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-02 11:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-05-02 11:34 AM
in reply to: #785348

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: how do you grade/rate a public school?
Lara, Here in Texas, each spring they publish the reports on how the students did on the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge Skills) last spring and based on those scores the schools are rated. We moved specifically to our house due to the district being highly rated for special education and also our home school being highly rated on the TAKS score for multiple years What state are you in again -Oregon or Washington?
2007-05-02 11:36 AM
in reply to: #785405

2007-05-02 11:55 AM

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Here is a good site comparing the different school districts and schools within the district. I would probably start by looking at the dropout rate and the on-time graduation rate. Then look at the WASL results. Just from doing a brief overview of each district, Olympia and Chehalis are pretty close in dropout and on-time graduation rate with Chehalis being slightly better. Centralia has really bad scores. I would probably go with Chehalis.
2007-05-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: #785413

Master
http://www.centralia.wednet.edu/ (Under school improvement is the report card)

http://kids.osd.wednet.edu/for_parents/school_performance_reports

http://www.chehalis.k12.wa.us/csd/asr.php(about mid way down a link to state figures)

I'd also look at the district budget and see how much they spend on teachers and library support

it's a difficult decision deciding where to live for our children... the best we can do it look at the numbers and visit the schools in question. The school in Olympia may be "better" academically but how involved will you be in your sons education with that longer drive to work - field trips, last minute teacher conference etc.... maybe being closer will enable you to be more involved thus making centralia better. You know all this though, you're a great mom and will make the right decision.

Hope this helps... yes, I'm bored this morning, waiting for Iz to wake so we can go shopping.

Cathleen

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2007-05-02 12:08 PM
2007-05-02 12:09 PM

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

One of the tools I'm using to compare potential schools to teach at is GreatSchools

It has a parent commenting ability that might give an additional barometer on how a school is without being statistics. It's kind of handy to see a teacher breakdown by degree and a student-teacher ratio in addition to the average test scores compared with the rest of the state.  

2007-05-02 12:22 PM

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
It is difficult to gauge how "good" a school is based on standardized test scores and drop-out rates and such. I work in public education in Dallas and our school is not rate very highly according to state standards, but we have a great faculty, staff, and administration. Most of our problems stem from lack of parental involvement and cultural expectations to get a job rather than graduate HS. As for my family, I spent $9000 on Kindergarten this year for my oldest and we are now considering Homeschool for next year. My brother-in-law (16) goes to Lake Stevens High School in Lake Stevens, WA. His grades would not show the school as being a great school but it is. Student motivation is a huge determining factor too. But then again, statistics do tell a story. I am just very passionate about my job and don't really care if my school is labeled the best or not. I am going to try and change as many lives as possible each school year and hope for the best!
2007-05-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: #785487

2007-05-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #785542

Master
Colorado
Do just what you are doing... ASK.  Ask a realitor.  Call a reality office or two and just tell them you are moving to the area and wonder what areas are good based on schools.  Word of mouth is everything.  They will know because you are not the only one wanting to live somewhere based on schools.  good luck.
2007-05-02 12:55 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
I'll give this thread a 'C+', and a 'D' in conduct.
2007-05-02 12:56 PM

Runner

Look at teacher pay rate.  If a school district pays better than the others, they can usually pick and choose what teachers they hire.

That's how it works around here, at least. 

2007-05-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #785542

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
Lara - 2007-05-02 12:50 PM

i agree 1000%..  things like parental involvment, ciriculums used, etc. are way more important than a statistic..  i've thought about going to the school and meeting the principal and getting a feel for the school.. but i also assumed that our school administrators are so busy i had better not drive them nuts by being an over protective parent

HotRod - 2007-05-02 10:22 AM It is difficult to gauge how "good" a school is based on standardized test scores and drop-out rates and such. I work in public education in Dallas and our school is not rate very highly according to state standards, but we have a great faculty, staff, and administration. Most of our problems stem from lack of parental involvement and cultural expectations to get a job rather than graduate HS. As for my family, I spent $9000 on Kindergarten this year for my oldest and we are now considering Homeschool for next year. My brother-in-law (16) goes to Lake Stevens High School in Lake Stevens, WA. His grades would not show the school as being a great school but it is. Student motivation is a huge determining factor too. But then again, statistics do tell a story. I am just very passionate about my job and don't really care if my school is labeled the best or not. I am going to try and change as many lives as possible each school year and hope for the best!

If the administrator does not have time for you, what makes you think he is going to make time for your child? Bug the hell out of them, that is what they are paid for!
2007-05-02 1:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
The town I live in has 2 counties side by side (Richmond and Columbia County).  One school district has a very good reputation and the other not so much.  Within Richmond county there are a few good schools. I grew up in what was considered the "better" county (Columbia) and I don't feel like my education was any better than the one my children are getting now.  I live in Richmond county now and I'm lucky that my children have an excellent elementary school to go to, not all of them are, but ours is.  When middle school comes I may have to consider moving or pay for private or pray that my kids get into one of the few magnet schools in the county that are great.  So if the elementary school in your area looks good and your kids are 5 years or so away from middle school, you might consider living closer to work.  (think of the gas money you will save).  You can't go by testing always either.  You need to get opinions from real people and visit the school if possible.  If a principal is willing to open the school up for you to check it out on a school day, that's a good sign.  See what the school library looks like, find out if they have an accelerated reader program that promotes book reading (and see how the kids are doing with it), talk to the teachers, And talk to parents, (what is the PTA participation like?)  and people in the community around where you want to live.  Good luck!
2007-05-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #785552

Master
regimom - 2007-05-02 12:54 PM

Do just what you are doing... ASK.  Ask a realitor.  Call a reality office or two and just tell them you are moving to the area and wonder what areas are good based on schools.  Word of mouth is everything.  They will know because you are not the only one wanting to live somewhere based on schools.  good luck.

Realtors CAN NOT steer you towards a particular school district - against state laws, here in TX and PA I know for sure and I'm sure it's the same everywhere. You need to do the leg work on schools districts.
2007-05-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: #785805

Master
Colorado

houston-tri-mama - 2007-05-02 1:53 PM
regimom - 2007-05-02 12:54 PM Do just what you are doing... ASK.  Ask a realitor.  Call a reality office or two and just tell them you are moving to the area and wonder what areas are good based on schools.  Word of mouth is everything.  They will know because you are not the only one wanting to live somewhere based on schools.  good luck.
Realtors CAN NOT steer you towards a particular school district - against state laws, here in TX and PA I know for sure and I'm sure it's the same everywhere. You need to do the leg work on schools districts.

Really?  I wonder if THEY know that.  When moving to CO we consulted a couple agents and they were very forthcoming with the info.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » how do you grade/rate a public school? Rss Feed