General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Chicago? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-02 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Running in Chicago?
Hopefully some Chicago people will read this and can clue me in. I'm going to be in Chicago tomorrow and Friday - I'm staying at the Marriott across from Rush Medical Center. Is that a decent area to run in? Are there some better places near there that might be worth going to for a run? Thanks for any suggestions!

2007-05-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: #785991

Subject: RE: Running in Chicago?
The medical campus district is kind of a dead area especially at night. I would not consider it a great place to run either. You would be a couple of miles from the lakefront and that is a good place to run for a variety of reasons including the scenery (nature and human). If you want to change your hotel, then you can stay at a location closer to the lake such as the Westin Michigan Avenue, there a W hotel on the near north side with a lake view, or there are places a little further south off of Michigan Avenue that are close to the lake and also close to the new park. I would suggest being a little further north in one of the first hotels I mentioned, but you probably can't go wrong either way. These locations would be further away from the medical campus, but a cab ride away.
2007-05-02 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Maine
I'm stuck with the Marriott - I have a meeting at Rush at 8 am on Friday so it's pretty convenient for that. Would you suggest taking the subway to the waterfront? Is there some kind of park there, or just trails all along the water?
2007-05-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #786093

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

huskyboy - 2007-05-02 5:33 PM I'm stuck with the Marriott - I have a meeting at Rush at 8 am on Friday so it's pretty convenient for that. Would you suggest taking the subway to the waterfront? Is there some kind of park there, or just trails all along the water?

or just cab it.  It probably won't cost that much.  Take a cab to Oak Street Beach and he'll let you off there, and you can run miles along the lake ... and you won't be alone trust me   You can easily run 5 miles north and 5 miles back with a nice crowd of people and all along the lake which is very pretty.  The lakefront doesn't have trails, but a paved path.... which hosts rollerbladers, bikers, walkers, runners, etc   If it's nice there will be a lot of people, but even when it's chilly, you will still find plenty of riders and runners.

You could take the subway but if you come back late on it, you might be more comfortable with a cab.  The subway is great, but if you ride it at night, it's probably best to know where you are going   For an out of towner I'd recommend a cab, I think that would be fine for you.

Have fun!!  There's lots to do in the city.  Also when you're done running, you can go into the city there and have a great bite to eat somewhere.  If you need a recommendation, let me know.  If you need more tips or help, let me know

Edited by pigfinn 2007-05-02 6:58 PM
2007-05-02 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Thanks for all the info! I'll probably be running tomorrow afternoon and/or EARLY Friday morning, but taking a cab still sounds like the better way to go. 

I'm flying in tomorrow and leaving Friday night, but I am planning on having some fun (except for the meeting Friday morning). I'm going to see Wicked tomorrow night, and I'm going to the Cubs game Friday afternoon. Any good recommendations for places to eat by the theater (I guess it's the Ford Center)?

Oh, and is the running path marked for mileage?

Edited by huskyboy 2007-05-02 7:05 PM
2007-05-02 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Ruth's Chris!

2007-05-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #786197

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
huskyboy - 2007-05-02 7:04 PM

Thanks for all the info! I'll probably be running tomorrow afternoon and/or EARLY Friday morning, but taking a cab still sounds like the better way to go. 

I'm flying in tomorrow and leaving Friday night, but I am planning on having some fun (except for the meeting Friday morning). I'm going to see Wicked tomorrow night, and I'm going to the Cubs game Friday afternoon. Any good recommendations for places to eat by the theater (I guess it's the Ford Center)?

Oh, and is the running path marked for mileage?

wow, you're doing a lot for being here for a few days!!  Wicked!!, I haven't even seen that and I walk by the theater every day!!, LOL!!  Good for you!

I am not sure if the lakefront is marked, it's been a while since I ran it.  I live on the outskirts of the inner city, so I don't run there regularly, but I do run there during the summer some. I want to say it is marked, but I can't be sure.  If you stop someone they will know the mileage... as you will undoubtedly see many other runners who probably know the mileage by heart, LOL!

Well what kind of food do you want... steak, sushi, or pizza, LOL!!   There's a fun place called Ed Debevic's which alot of tourists like to visit.  Old style hamburger place that is alot of fun and has awesome burger and fries... here's the link.  This place is about 5 blocks north of the theatre.. http://centerstage.net/restaurants/ed-debevics.html

If you want pizza, I would recommend Pizzeria Uno... which is 29 East Ohio Street... that is about maybe 6 blocks northeast of the theatre   There are so many options in Chicago, I couldn't write them all, LOL!  I say go have yourself some good pizza and a beer before Wicked... and then after the Cub's game, follow the crowd to the bar

2007-05-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: #786218

User image

Master
Maine
Well what kind of food do you want... steak, sushi, or pizza, LOL!!   There's a fun place called Ed Debevic's which alot of tourists like to visit.  Old style hamburger place that is alot of fun and has awesome burger and fries... here's the link.  This place is about 5 blocks north of the theatre.. http://centerstage.net/restaurants/ed-debevics.html

If you want pizza, I would recommend Pizzeria Uno... which is 29 East Ohio Street... that is about maybe 6 blocks northeast of the theatre   There are so many options in Chicago, I couldn't write them all, LOL!  I say go have yourself some good pizza and a beer before Wicked... and then after the Cub's game, follow the crowd to the bar

Both of those sound great - I'll be there by myself, so I get to choose whatever I want.

Thanks again for the tips!

2007-05-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #786241

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
huskyboy - 2007-05-02 7:41 PM

Both of those sound great - I'll be there by myself, so I get to choose whatever I want.

Thanks again for the tips!

that's great!!, have a good time   If you need anything, just pm me

2007-05-02 8:55 PM

User image

Cincinnati Area
Hi, I also answered your CHicago post. Yes, absolutely figure out how to get to the lakefront and run. It is well marked for milage, every 1/2 mile is marked. And as someone else said, you will not be alone.

As for the other things you are doing. Depends on mood for food but still, go downtown and not where you'll be. Go to Rush St./ State St. area for nice dining, or just grab a drink. You can usually spot a celeb, Michael Jordan hangs out at Tavern on Rush. A billion other places on Michigan depending on mood, what do you want? Steak, Ruth Chris's a good choice, Mike Ditka's is fun and if a football fan, he is there once in a while.

Cubs game, my hood. If first time in Chicago or a Cubs game, you have to grab a beer a Bernie's and at Murphy's, very fun. Food, mostly bar stuff around there but all good, or venture a walk up Clark (head South, anyone can and will tell you where), and you'll see a ton of stuff, again, depends on mood.

If you can't tell, I LOVE Chicago. Lived in 13 other cities in country, but moved here 5 years ago and will NEVER leave.

Have fun!
2007-05-02 9:22 PM
in reply to: #786372

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
kwrumming - 2007-05-02 9:55 PM

Go to Rush St./ State St. area for nice dining, or just grab a drink.

Have fun!

Blue Agave Restraunt right by Rush Street has the best Fajitas and Margaritas. I've come from Indianapolis to get fajitas more than once. It was helpful I was dating someone who lived around the block from there, but, really, it has the best...

Geja's Cafe on Armitage is a Fondu restraunt that is fun and really tastey.

These are my two fav. places to eat there. Geja's may require reservations - and it may cost $100 for dinner for 2 (without alcoholic drinks) but it is well worth it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in Chicago? Rss Feed