General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim - making progress, but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-03 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: swim - making progress, but ...
OK, let me first start off by saying that I have read TI (twice) and I have taken lessons at the Y. I'm committed to swimming and plan 3-4 days in the pool this month.

I'm starting to make some real progress - swimming this morning I actually felt like I had balance most of the time, that my body was rotating to breathe, and that I wasn't out of breath all of the time (mental, I know). But here are my 2 questions -

1. I understand the slow swimming thing. If I can balance slow, I can balance fast and I won't exert myself. So today I swam SLOW. No, I mean really slow. Like the ladies doing water aerobics in the lane next to mine were passing me. I rested a bit at each end of the pool, but still, I don't think I have ever swum that slowly. My understanding is that is a good thing - it means my balance is catching on, but my question is - when will I get faster? I don't want to break any records here, but I'd like to beat the water walkers. Is it just something that will click?

2. With the balancing, I still feel like I need to kick a little. I'm OK with that, and I've been working on kicking properly. When I do kicking drills, that's great, but when I'm swimming, it seems like I devolve into this goofy little flutter kick. Other than wasting some energy, is that a problem? Does it mean my balance isn't as good as I hope? I feel like my head is tucked and hips are up in the right place, but my feet don't feel right unless they're moving.

Thanks!

Kristen

2007-05-03 12:45 PM
in reply to: #786703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Subject: RE: swim - making progress, but ...
Well I am no "expert" but having gone from terrible swimmer (could not do 3-4 laps to start) to long distance in the past 16 months I have some experiences to share. Slow is good as a drill to get the feel, the speed will come once you start getting the roll and pull (together ) kinetic chain linked. How many strokes are you taking with your slow journey (per 25 mtr). I use my leg very little if at all save them for the run and bike, they add less than 5% to your propulsion and eat up tons of O2 (use them just a bit for balance especially on your side). Do not try to get d=faster by just pulling harder work on the rotation, good catch (bend elbow early) and a long glide (hold the speed from the pull) all TI basics. To develope the speed you need to do lots and lots of mileage building the muscle memory (continue drills in each set to reinforce specific areas) and smooth form ( you will also tone and build the muscle). After thousands of meters of swimming you will find your times drop by themselves then you can start increasing your stroke rate a bit, keep the form, and the speed will come. As a concrete example I was swimming with another triathlete who is working on his swim last night. He was doing 30 sec / 25 mtr with a SR of about 25 per length, I swam along side him to demonstrate to my brother ( I am teaching him to swim) and it was startling to him to se the difference. I was doing 25 sec /mtr with a SR of about 15 and my brother said it was so strange I looked like I was in slow motion compared to the other swimmer but I was just cruising by him.  TI keys long reach and glide, more powerful pull using core muscles, longer stroke (long reach) all combine for a fluid faster /slow stroke. It does not happen in a few weeks, My biggest breakthrough came in Jan after I did 28,000 mtrs in Dec. (after 6 months of drilling and practicing)  that etched the form into my body and then I could focus on more speed in each stroke.  I do most of my practice in the pool or OW in my wetsuit, i never intend to do competitive swimming other than tri's and none of the tri's in Canada ban them ( water never gets that warm) so I figure why struggle more to "perfect" the swim I practice the way I race. I does not make you swim better  but it does make  the whole balance thing eaasy so you can focus on stroke form etc. Yes it might be a cruthc to the purists but like I said I train the way i race and never expext to race without it so why prolong the training curve. I would suggest trying your wetsuit out in the pool, if you don't have on rent one for a week or two and try it out. Good luck drop me PM anytime and I will help with anything I can, I have some good clips of Popov & Haskett I can share as well. Sorry for the long resonse hope it helps
2007-05-03 1:31 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
Good information. Could you share the Popov & Haskett clips?
2007-05-03 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

I like to watch other people at the pool and the two most common things I see people doing are, starting their catch too early and crossing the mid-line with their reach. Try not to start your catch until your other hand hits the water. That will help keep more weight out front and help with balance. Better balance = faster swimming. On your reach, think about your arms out on railroad tracks. I think the best way to appreciate this is to have someone video you. Not crossing the mid-line = faster swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzBaSiWdRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZdx_WVnG_M&mode=related&search

2007-05-03 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
here are the clips a bit different than the ones above
2007-05-04 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

Sorry the clip would not load up, to big, I will figure out a better way to get you guys access if you PM me with your email address iwill zip and send them to you. The two links posted are good but don't show the right things they are analyzing race pace swimming. Remember two things these guys are the best in the world and have efficencies & natural capacities and millions of meters of practice. some of the footage I have is more training pace practice which is what we need to be watching so you can see the similarities FQS, long glide rotation etc, the building blocks.  There was a similar discussion on the worlds best form on the TI website and Terry reminded all to watch the masters in practice ...they use FQS, rotation long glides etc so that when they hit competiion and drive for speed they will retain more  of that form and whoever holds more form will get faster. You can't look at 1 min of top speed swimming and understand how they got there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim - making progress, but ... Rss Feed