General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any nutritionists out there who wanna give free advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-04 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: any nutritionists out there who wanna give free advice
I have recently lost 55 pounds (From 233 to 175) by watching my calories and making better food choices. However, I am now having a hard time keeping my energy at a good level in order to train. I often feel tired legs while training and I feel recovery is getting more difficult. I am at the beginning of a training cycle and do not feel this should be happening.
I try to eat 5 - 6 small meals a day. I usually train early in the morning. In addition to feeling "Loagy" I am also starving by 3PM and could eat until 3 until 9 NONSTOP. which is what I did when I was 233. So I force myself not to eat and have tried to eat more at different times a day. I really need some tweaking.
Does anyone have any suggestions for food choices, timing of food, what I should eat when?

2007-05-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: #789017

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: any nutritionists out there who wanna give free advice
First, congrats on the weight loss!

Second, I'm not a nutritionist (but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ).

But, my hubby and I have lost over 100 pounds between us over the last year and we're both a little psychotic about the whole education thing, so I've tried a ton of things and read a lot more. 5-6 meals a day is great (and what we do). My question would be WHAT are you eating? Are you actually eating enough healthy carbs to supply your energy? (See the Trying for WeightLoss thread for many discussions on this...) Are you eating enough? Just because you are eating 5-6 times a day does not mean you're eating enough. (My hubby had to track his eating for a while and we finally figured out he wasn't eating enough. Me - not so much a problem. ) Also, is it possible you're burned out/overtraining?

Kristen
2007-05-05 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
I am not a nutritionist but I would suggest eating more fibrous foods with good carbohydrate and protein content. The fiber will help to stave your hunger faster (not to mention keep you regular!)
2007-05-11 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Hi. Just like the other replies, I am not a nutritionist (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn lastnight). However, I am in the midst of pursuing my masters in Sports Nutrition. So anyways...thats besides the point. I would do a food log for a few days if I were you. Make sure you are getting enough calories first off, and then take a look at what kind of calories you are getting. Depending on your period of training and racing, your carbs should occupy 60-70% of your total calories. Obviously, protein is a small source of energy and huge for recovery. Fats (good fats) are also absolutely necessary.

I would say the lack of carbs is probably why you are feeling not so energetic. You don't need to eat non-stop between 3 and 9 at night, but, listen to your body. If you are starving, then eat. If you are hungry, because you're bored, then you might not have to. Without greater detail, if you're trying to eat, so you dont feel hungry real soon...protein is the best for that.

Anyways, there are my thoughts. Sounds like you are doing great though. Good luck and ask anyone if you need more help! Were all here to give you our personal insight.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any nutritionists out there who wanna give free advice Rss Feed