General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Tire Recomendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-09 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Subject: Tubular Tire Recomendations

With my newly purchased wheels (Renn 575 and Hed 3), cassette, and tools I now need to buy tires.  I searched the old forums and found a varied opinion on which tires to get.  In summary some loved the Tufo S3 lites - another hated tufo.  Some recommended Contis and Vittoria another stated they were average etc.  Also recomended were veloflex, vrendestens, micheln krylions and kenda koncepts.

I'm doing a HIM and 2 olys.  These tires will be almost race only.  I place a premium on durability because I just dont want to stop.  I'm not really sure one tire is more durable than another, after all won't pretty much any tire pop if they hit a sharp object?  But I'm open.  I don't want to cheap out but I don't want to build the space shuttle either.

So anyone willing, please state which tire you have, your opinion to durability and if you have a comparision to other tires or related experiences.

2007-05-10 6:26 AM
in reply to: #795393

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Tubular Tire Recomendations

Tires will pop regardless of model ..... but some are a little better than others if you believe their literature.

I've always been a huge fan of Continentals and when I buy tires, that's all I get (whenever the stock tires wear out).  So when I buy my tubulars I go to www.biketiresdirect.com and get Continental Podiums.  They are 19mm and can be pumped to 170 psi, are light and three ply so they are fairly decent in the strength department, and not too expensinve for what you get.

I'd personally stay away from Tufos as a lot of people have had issues with them (whether it is loose on the rim before gluing, or other poor fit issues).

2007-05-10 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
I use Conti Sprinters. They are not the top of the conti line but they are prob 2 or 3. I like that bc it seems that they have a bit more puncture resistence than the Competetions. For my spare, I have a Conti Giro, the reason is that it is cheap. If I flat, I will use this and then throw another Sprinter on after the race.
2007-05-12 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

What, agreement?  This looks too easy.  No other disenting opinions?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Tire Recomendations Rss Feed