General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 6'3" 260 lb former U.S. Marine....trying to turn life around Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-10 12:50 AM

New user

Kansas City
Subject: 6'3" 260 lb former U.S. Marine....trying to turn life around
hey triathlete.com....

2007-05-10 1:59 AM
in reply to: #795408

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: 6'3" 260 lb former U.S. Marine....trying to turn life around
Welcome. I'm a former Marine myself and I kind of let myself go once I got out. I'm slowing but surely turning my life around. You've picked a great place to come to to get any help, motivation, or advice. Good luck.
2007-05-10 2:19 AM
in reply to: #795414

New user

Kansas City
Is there a particular type of bike people use on their triathlons? I have a mountain bike, but figured people might use road bikes most of the time. I suppose it depends on the trail, but I would also imagine you could get away with a mountain bike even on a road course...(but obviously not visa-versa)
2007-05-10 6:48 AM
in reply to: #795416

Well, you came to the right place to find out, brother!

I am not a very accomplished triathlete (yet), but you can use the MTB all you want for the time being. Most folks will ride a triathlon-specific bike or a road bike simply because you get more speed through less effort. At many on-road races, you will find people on mountain bikes, hybrids, road bikes, and tri bikes. As the races get longer, more people are going to be on tri bikes because they've made the commitment to the sport. Of course, if you're doing off-road tris, the MTB is just what you need!

Take a look through the various forums, do searches with the search function, and read through the various articles and FAQs.

Thank you for your service. It is not lost on me or most of America.

S/F
Dave
2007-05-10 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Welcome to the gang.  When I started this I was your exact size.  THis is a great commuity and I hope that you enjoy it.
2007-05-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: #795467

New user

Kansas City
buckeye66 - 2007-05-10 7:05 AM

Welcome to the gang.  When I started this I was your exact size.  THis is a great commuity and I hope that you enjoy it.
how long have you been at it and what do you weigh now?

what types of tri's do you run? ironman or sprints?

2007-05-10 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey Matt, welcome aboard BT.  Don't worry about the kind of bike you will be using at this point.  Just pick out a training program that suits your needs from the "program" site here and do your best.  Once you have reached a point in your triathlon endeavours when you feel that you might need a road bike or a tri bike then you will know.  In the meantime, shop around, compare the various bikes and grouppos and ask lots of questions.  Good luck and I do hope that you enjoy yourself.
2007-05-10 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Brandon, MS
Welcome Matt. I'm an old offensive lineman. Pick a training program and stick to it. Also sign up for some race to do and that will keep you motivated.
2007-05-10 11:35 PM

User image

Regular
Northern California
welcome aboard. you have come to the right place there are many stories here that start with a very similar line. mine was 5'8" 205 and depressed. now 55 lbs lighter i have found my marrage is better so is work and play. this is a great site, one that you cant throw a gel pack without hitting 10 good and helpfull people. good luck and happy training
2007-05-11 9:01 AM

User image

Welcome to the a great start. BT is the reason I have lost 18 lbs in 6 wks. Congratulations on taking the first step to a better, healthier lifestyle. You will find a lot of great and encouraging people here. Make some specific goals and stick with them and don't give up!!!

WELCOME!

2007-05-11 11:45 AM

New user

Kansas City
ok goals..should I start a whole new thread for this?? I really everyone's like input if you haven't noticed. And I'm really getting motivated.

Right now I can bike 10 miles with the biggest problem being pain in my "seat".. heh heh

I could probably run 2 miles in about 20 minutes, but I'd be in real pain to go further just yet.

I have no idea how far I could swim. I had a pool in my back yard growing up, I was a pretty fast swimmer, but I haven't swam for speed since I moved out of my parents house in 1993. I have ran and biked since then.

If my first event is June 16th, what type of goals should I set..

Week 0 - Today - May 12th
Yesterday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs) + 30 min elliptical machine
Today: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + 40 min elliptical
Tomorrow: regular workout (legs/abs) + 25 minutes stair stepper

Week 1 - May 13th - 19th:
Sunday: Rest (I am driving to Dallas for work)
Monday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs)+ swim at 24 hour fitness - Irving
Tuesday: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + stationary bike for cardio
Wednesday: regular workout (legs/abs) + 1.5 mile jog for cardio
Thursday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs)+ swim + 20 min elliptical
Friday: work then driving back to Kansas City - no workout
Saturday: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + 1 mile jog + xxx meter swim

Week 2 - May 20th - 26th:
Please fill in the rest, I'd like to see some of your idea's.
Go easy on me until about midway through week 3

I rotate my weight training as such:
1) chest/tri/abs
2) back/bi/abs
3) legs/abs
repeat

Sunday:
Monday: I own a decent bike, so throw in a bike day or six...
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Week 3 - May 31st - June 2nd:
Sunday:
Monday: Driving to Dallas
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday: Driving to Canoe Trip (6 hours)
Saturday: Canoe Trip

Week 4 - June 3rd - 9th:
Sunday: Driving to KC (3 hours)
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Week 5 - June 10th - 16th (Race on the 16th):
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday: My First Triathlon!

2007-06-15 3:12 AM
in reply to: #797187

New user

Kansas City
vqman - 2007-05-11 11:45 AM

ok goals..should I start a whole new thread for this?? I really everyone's like input if you haven't noticed. And I'm really getting motivated.

Right now I can bike 10 miles with the biggest problem being pain in my "seat".. heh heh

I could probably run 2 miles in about 20 minutes, but I'd be in real pain to go further just yet.

I have no idea how far I could swim. I had a pool in my back yard growing up, I was a pretty fast swimmer, but I haven't swam for speed since I moved out of my parents house in 1993. I have ran and biked since then.

If my first event is June 16th, what type of goals should I set..

Week 0 - Today - May 12th
Yesterday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs) + 30 min elliptical machine
Today: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + 40 min elliptical
Tomorrow: regular workout (legs/abs) + 25 minutes stair stepper

Week 1 - May 13th - 19th:
Sunday: Rest (I am driving to Dallas for work)
Monday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs)+ swim at 24 hour fitness - Irving
Tuesday: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + stationary bike for cardio
Wednesday: regular workout (legs/abs) + 1.5 mile jog for cardio
Thursday: regular workout (chest/tri/abs)+ swim + 20 min elliptical
Friday: work then driving back to Kansas City - no workout
Saturday: regular workout (back/bi/abs) + 1 mile jog + xxx meter swim

Week 2 - May 20th - 26th:
Please fill in the rest, I'd like to see some of your idea's.
Go easy on me until about midway through week 3

I rotate my weight training as such:
1) chest/tri/abs
2) back/bi/abs
3) legs/abs
repeat

Sunday:
Monday: I own a decent bike, so throw in a bike day or six...
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Week 3 - May 31st - June 2nd:
Sunday:
Monday: Driving to Dallas
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday: Driving to Canoe Trip (6 hours)
Saturday: Canoe Trip

Week 4 - June 3rd - 9th:
Sunday: Driving to KC (3 hours)
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Week 5 - June 10th - 16th (Race on the 16th):
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday: My First Triathlon!
the day after I wrote this, I had a sore throat. a week later I was sidelined with a 100.1 fever. It ended up being pneumonia and I am still not 100%. It looks like I'll be setting new goals for a different race. ugh.
2007-06-15 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Sorry  you got side lined. 

You should go into your first tri knowing you can do the distance but that it's not going to be easy.  Go to learn and not necessarily with time goals.

Building your training.  I highly recommend looking at the plans on this site or others.  You should be following a plan that incorporates periodization.  Each week builds on the other for three weeks in intensity and distance and then you get a recovery week.  That doesn't mean your off, just that your either not having as many workouts or the intensity is decreased.  Also, before races we taper so that our bodies can rest and be ready. You will also want to include brick workouts (once or twice a week- after you've trained for a month or so).  A brick workout are two workouts right after each other.  Example: Bike 10 miles Run .5 mile.  It is a huge eye opener for your knees to do these combos and takes time to get use to it. 

Remember that all this training takes time.  I would encourage you to keep reading the different articles here too.

Last but not least. Nutrition is really the fourth sport wheather you want to loose weight or not you have to pay attention to how you fuel your body all the time not just 5 min before you walk out the door. 

Good Luck and hope you get back on track soon.

K

2007-06-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #845366

New user

Kansas City
tri-chic - 2007-06-15 7:23 AM

Sorry  you got side lined. 

You should go into your first tri knowing you can do the distance but that it's not going to be easy.  Go to learn and not necessarily with time goals.

Building your training.  I highly recommend looking at the plans on this site or others.  You should be following a plan that incorporates periodization.  Each week builds on the other for three weeks in intensity and distance and then you get a recovery week.  That doesn't mean your off, just that your either not having as many workouts or the intensity is decreased.  Also, before races we taper so that our bodies can rest and be ready. You will also want to include brick workouts (once or twice a week- after you've trained for a month or so).  A brick workout are two workouts right after each other.  Example: Bike 10 miles Run .5 mile.  It is a huge eye opener for your knees to do these combos and takes time to get use to it. 

Remember that all this training takes time.  I would encourage you to keep reading the different articles here too.

Last but not least. Nutrition is really the fourth sport wheather you want to loose weight or not you have to pay attention to how you fuel your body all the time not just 5 min before you walk out the door. 

Good Luck and hope you get back on track soon.

K

oh yes, nutrition is extremely important, I am a believer in Bill Phillips book, "Eating for Life". I dropped from 260 to 230 back in 2004 before, you guessed it, getting sidelined by pneumonia then too. These are my first two cases of pneumonia in my life, and both happened after I started working out and eating right. I wonder if my body is so busy recovering from hard workouts that my immune system is weakened..

no telling...
2007-06-17 2:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
From a Navy Nurse in Yokosuka, Japan, I'm proud of you for your goals. Keep at it: It doesn't really matter weight or size but motivation: You can do it Marine!
2007-06-17 1:54 PM
in reply to: #847321

New user

Kansas City
drtrouta - 2007-06-17 2:12 AM

From a Navy Nurse in Yokosuka, Japan, I'm proud of you for your goals. Keep at it: It doesn't really matter weight or size but motivation: You can do it Marine!
If I ever get over this illness, I will!!

2007-06-19 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

During a half marathon I followed a guy with a really short hair cut that made me think military.  He had this odd, giddy up in his step but was rock solid on pace.  I had to let him get ahead of me.  After really turning it up I caught up to him and passed him.  I commented that I was envious of his pacing.  You military guys have good mental fortitude.  This will be easy for you when you set your mind to it.

2007-06-20 3:46 AM
in reply to: #851664

New user

Kansas City
bikingbruise - 2007-06-19 10:47 PM

During a half marathon I followed a guy with a really short hair cut that made me think military. He had this odd, giddy up in his step but was rock solid on pace. I had to let him get ahead of me. After really turning it up I caught up to him and passed him. I commented that I was envious of his pacing. You military guys have good mental fortitude. This will be easy for you when you set your mind to it.

thanks for the motivation Bruiser!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 6'3" 260 lb former U.S. Marine....trying to turn life around Rss Feed