General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Softride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-10 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, NJ
Subject: Softride
I currently have a 2002 Softride that I bought used a while ago. I love the ride, feel and look and want to upgrade to a newer model. Having said that though there doesn’t seem to be many dealers in my area (only two in NJ) but there’s heaps of dealers that sell the other tri bikes like Cervelo, Trek, Cannondale, Orbea, etc. So my question is why? Is there something wrong with Softride or are the other bikes superior/favored for some particular reason?

My goal is to do 2 Olympics a year but I love bike riding in general and try to do at least 10 hours a week in the saddle when the weather is nice regardless of any tri’s. I’m not apposed to any other brand I just happen to have an affection for Softrides and was wondering if there’s anything I wasn’t aware of.

Thanks in advance.

2007-05-10 2:44 PM
in reply to: #796213

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: Two reasons
(1) Softrides are strange looking to most folks, so they have this idea that it's bad because it's different. Not only that, but they're not legal for ITU or UCI racing, so the distribution is virtually ALL in USA. So... That means that, no matter what, Softride is destined to be small.

(2) Softride was looking for a buyer for their bike division last year, and didn't find one. So they're not currently making bikes. They're servicing their current customers for parts, as best they can (and they're pretty responsive), but no new bikes until some one steps up to buy the division.

I have nothing against Softride (I have 3 of them), but they've got some strikes against them in the bike and economic world. I don't see them lasting long.
2007-05-10 4:05 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Softride
I also wondered why nobody ever seems to talk about them.  Too bad they seem destined to be a part of history.  They look awesome and are supposedly a great ride.  Not that I'd ever be able to afford one.
2007-05-10 4:13 PM

User image

Elite

I have a 03 Softride that I love to death. 

As for your question, here's what little I have first hand about Softride problems.  I know they started having problems with their TT models, I don't know if it had anything to do with their decline.  The beams started snapping left and right (according to the dealer I got mine from) and initially they were real good about replacing them without much static.  However, I think the problem got a bit expensive and they gradually started being progressively more sluggish about support until the guy dropped them.

Personally I think they're maybe a bit too specialized for their own good.

bts

2007-05-10 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have one and haven't ridden it in a year and should sell it.

Dealers didn't like dealing with them...tried to push them to inventory bikes instead of ordering when someone wanted one.  They started selling a cheaper mountain bike beam bike thru I think Costco.

They never sold many bikes and tried to push to get larger instead of accepting their size and try to make money at the size they were. 

2007-05-11 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
how much is an entry level trek or felt state side?
im about to buy a trek 1000 for 600 euro , but after looking at soft rides web site i might reconcider.

the soft ride "it" comes in at 850$ delivered to ireland.
thats not much more than the trek ,with the strong euro.

great looking bikes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Softride Rss Feed