General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I admit it...I don't know how to clean the chain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-11 9:41 PM

Regular
chicago, Il
Subject: I admit it...I don't know how to clean the chain
Sure, I lube the chain with White Lightening. About every two weeks or so I break out the degreaser and go to town, careful not to get any drips in the crank and hubs. But the chain, what's the best approach? one of those chain washer things? I just did a two day 160 mile bike trip and need to do a thorough bike cleaning. How about the rims and brake pads? Do those need to be cleaned as well? And what is the best technique for getting the grime out of the cassette and shifters? Should I put my wetsuit and googles on then ride through a car wash? (...hmmm...kinda sounds like fun...)

I appreciate any info! Thanks!

R

2007-05-11 10:35 PM
in reply to: #797893

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: I admit it...I don't know how to clean the chain
Unless you're a proficient bike mechanic, and it doesn't appear that you are ( no offense intended), then I'd spend $20-$30 and get a chain cleaner from your local bike shop.  It's a little gizmo that hangs from the rear derailleur with the chain strung through it.  You freewheel the chain through a series of little brushes/cleaner and it does the trick.  The same cleaner and a gear brush (yup they make a little thin brush just for cleaning the cassette) will do the trick on your cassette. 
2007-05-11 10:42 PM

Regular
chicago, Il
Thanks Bubba! I keep looking at those chain cleaners every time I go in to my lbs. I'll get one tomorrow.
2007-05-12 8:34 AM

User image

Elite

Even the proficient bike mechanics use those little gizmos because they are fast, neat, and really get the chain clean.  It helps to have a bike stand while you are cleaning the chain, but a bumper rack on a car or other makeshift support for the bike will also work.

I am a bike washer.  I particularly want to get the brake pad gunk off  the rims, pads, wheels, forks pretty regularly.  Some people are not bike washers.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

TW 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I admit it...I don't know how to clean the chain Rss Feed