General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yo. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-12 9:20 PM

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Subject: Yo.
Hello all.

I'm making the jump to get back into being the athlete I use to love being. I have worked out (lifting, elliptical, basketball) on and off for the last 5 years, but nothing has lasted. Kids, work... It seems many that have posted here understand. For me I also have one other huge motivation, is to indirectly show my children how to live life and eat healthy.

Spare the rest of the story. I haven't yet picked a tri to run, and may not do so till next year. I am 6'5" and 285 lbs, and I don't plan on running till I get down to 250. I have had one knee surgery (played college basketball) and very conscious of damage I can do to them. I hope to lose weight as I do this, and goal weight will be 220. I think anything under 220 will be very hard for me, as playing weight was 215.

I have ordered a CAAD8 Optimo 2 and waiting on it to come in. I am very excited to get the bike (as you can imagine) and hit the road. I've been doing a ton of elliptical and soon be hitting the pool. Plan on focusing on those two items, as I've ran plenty of times in the past to lengths of 10 miles. So to me the running will be the easiest as my fitness level increases.

Anyway. If you read this far, you must be bored. haha

Good luck all. And hope to join the ranks of finisher within the next 12 months.

bugeater

2007-05-14 7:56 AM
in reply to: #798381

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Yo.
Welcome - sounds like a good plan. Good for you for finding that extra motivational factor. I'm slightly smaller, but still have ambitious weight loss goals for my tri training. Based on my limited personal experience, as well as a few years of coaching middle and long distance (high school) running... I'd recommend some light (low weight, high reps) circuit weight training as well. That, coupled with a sensible diet and your cardio on the bike and in the pool, and the pounds should be falling off...

Totally my own personality, but I hear some of it in you with the "nothing has lasted" comment... but picking a race, putting together a training calendar to be prepared for that race, and posting it on my refregerator is very helpful with consistency. Being an example for the kids may not always be as tangible of a motivation as it should be in an ideal world... but it's hard for me to ignore the training plan that says "go run for 45 minutes" when I'm tempted to grab a snack from the fridge.

Best of luck,
Josh
2007-05-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: #799293

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Thanks for the info, and I plan on doing just what you have said with the low weight/high reps. Excellent idea with the schedule on the fridge, I follow the rule that I have seen here as well as make it an appointment. One that can not be missed.

The biggest hurdle for me seems to be stop drinking soda/beer. Soda to wake up, beer because it tastes good.

2007-05-14 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Bugeater - I, and so many others I trust, feel your pain on the beverage issues.

I don't miss soda as much as I thought I would... I'll often have a chug from my wifes can, but rarely do I just down one myself anymore. A crisp run will wake you up better anyway.

The beer... ask my "love machine fuel tank" of a beerbelly if I'm qualified to give advice there and I'll be shutting up quick.

JK
2007-05-14 2:16 PM

User image

New user

Pewaukee,WI(right near the lake, not on, but near)
I've had some success in losing weight by eating healthier and watching my portions. I snuck up to a little over 260. I joined a great little gym in Pewaukee, WI and starting working about again and eating better. I am now down to 229 and hopefully will lose another 29 pounds. Running my first Tri and training for it will hopefully help as motivation. Good luck.
2007-05-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: #800049

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Excellent. I hope to have some of the same success.

Good luck in your first Tri and hope to hear the results.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yo. Rss Feed