General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-13 9:39 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists

From "Scientific American":

Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists

"Last September a plucky psychologist at the University of Bath in England announced the results of a study in which he played both researcher and guinea pig. An avid cyclist, Ian Walker had heard several complaints from fellow riders that wearing a helmet seemed to result in bike riders receiving far less room to maneuver—effectively increasing the chances of an accident. So, Walker attached ultrasonic sensors to his bike and rode around Bath, allowing 2,300 vehicles to overtake him while he was either helmeted or naked-headed. In the process, he was actually contacted by a truck and a bus, both while helmeted—though, miraculously, he did not fall off his bike either time.

His findings, published in the March 2007 issue of Accident Analysis & Prevention, state that when Walker wore a helmet drivers typically drove an average of 3.35 inches closer to his bike than when his noggin wasn't covered. But, if he wore a wig of long, brown locks—appearing to be a woman from behind—he was granted 2.2 inches more room to ride."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleid=778EF0AB-E7F2-99DF-3594A...

Discuss.

2007-05-13 10:51 PM
in reply to: #799080

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists
I think this "study" has been posted before. There are so many things wrong with it I don't even know where to begin. Here's the bottom line - if I were driving down the road and I saw a man on a bike wearing a blonde, long-haired wig, I stay as far the h*ll away as possible, too! I bet little old ladies walking on the sidewalk clutched their purses a little more tightly, too, leading to the conclusion that wearing a helmet makes a cyclist appear less like a purse-snatcher.

Edited by MikeTheBear 2007-05-13 10:54 PM
2007-05-13 11:48 PM

Orange County
The reason why cars seem to buzz more helmeted riders is because they assume helmet=experience.

Experience="It's safer to pass the guy close without worrying about him swerving into my lane and having me hit him or crash."

At least that's what I've seen bandied about on bicycling-based internet forums. As for us, well, in the triathlon, you are required to wear a helmet anyway, or you get DQ'ed. Period.
2007-05-14 5:58 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I think I saw something about this on 20/20.  I would think it is pretty accurate as far as helmet=experience at least in the eyes of motorist.
2007-05-14 6:53 AM

Champion

It's apples and oranges.  Perhaps it's not the helmet, but the perception of a woman that causes the discrepancy.

2007-05-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: #799201

Orange County
kproudfoot - 2007-05-14 3:58 AM

I think I saw something about this on 20/20. I would think it is pretty accurate as far as helmet=experience at least in the eyes of motorist.

Oh, right. I remember seeing that 20/20 show as well. Who woulda thought that Jon Stossel was a bicycle commuter?

Anyway, as for my personal experience, I have noticed absolutely no difference when *I* ride with a helmet vs. when I ride without. Maybe I should try wearing a wig and seeing if drivers will respond accordingly...if not, I'm sticking to my helmet, no matter what any "scientific" report says. What's the point of going helmetless if drivers will still treat me the same way?

2007-05-14 10:07 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Just for kicks, and kind of a hijack, but it comes to mind every time I see or think of someone riding without a helmet...

The absolute WORST cycling injury I ever saw as an ER doc (to date) was a woman on a lazy ride around a lake with a paved 10 foot wide path. They rented bikes and were not wearing helmets...hey, it's a bike path, right? She went off the side of the path with a small, 6" drop from the cement to the dirt, landed on her right shoulder (they thought) and started complaining of shoulder pain. A bystander recognized that somethingn was not right, and brought her to the ER. She compained of right shoulder pain, then said, "Something's not right," repeatedly. THen she siezed. Turned out she had a rapidly expanding epidural hematoma (a bleeding artery) inside her brain.

Bike paths are supposed to be safe, right?

I don't care if it's cars that are passing me or little kids on trikes or fisherman walking on a path, I always wear a helmet without fail at all times because of that lady. She lived, by the way, but could have easily died had her problem gone unrecognized. Funny that it took a strnager to she she wasn't right and her own family believed it was her shoulder, even after she siezed & was intubated. "How's her shoulder?" her family asked.

2007-05-14 12:40 PM

Orange County
Well, that's interesting.

You know, wearing a helmet is actually a good idea when you're going slower, say like 10 MPH and below, because it's a lot easier to fall off the bike at those speeds than people might think. And I do not think that bike paths are really all that safe, either, because the bike paths that I mostly use are based near rivers (like the Santa Ana River and the San Gabriel River in SoCal). Now, falling into a river is bad, but how about portions of the river trail where the water is drained so that it turns into a concrete ditch? That's why I get really nervous whenever I'm riding on the right-hand side of the trail, since there is no railing to stop you from plunging into the ditch.
2007-05-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #799542

User image

Champion
Butler
AdventureBear - 2007-05-14 10:07 AM Just for kicks, and kind of a hijack, but it comes to mind every time I see or think of someone riding without a helmet... The absolute WORST cycling injury I ever saw as an ER doc (to date) was a woman on a lazy ride around a lake with a paved 10 foot wide path. They rented bikes and were not wearing helmets...hey, it's a bike path, right? She went off the side of the path with a small, 6" drop from the cement to the dirt, landed on her right shoulder (they thought) and started complaining of shoulder pain. A bystander recognized that somethingn was not right, and brought her to the ER. She compained of right shoulder pain, then said, "Something's not right," repeatedly. THen she siezed. Turned out she had a rapidly expanding epidural hematoma (a bleeding artery) inside her brain. Bike paths are supposed to be safe, right? I don't care if it's cars that are passing me or little kids on trikes or fisherman walking on a path, I always wear a helmet without fail at all times because of that lady. She lived, by the way, but could have easily died had her problem gone unrecognized. Funny that it took a strnager to she she wasn't right and her own family believed it was her shoulder, even after she siezed & was intubated. "How's her shoulder?" her family asked.
Amen to that.  I don't leave my house without it.  I started one ride without it on while on a bike path after 100 yards I felt funny.  I actually considered going on but went back.  But I also know my handling skills.  I habe only biked for about 8 months and have wrecked twice.
2007-05-14 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=133934

Maybe someone attracted the car a little too much. Although not sure if I believe the tire went squarely over his head. Bike helmets aren't made to be that strong.
2007-05-15 12:13 AM
in reply to: #799157

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
DBear - 2007-05-13 9:48 PM

The reason why cars seem to buzz more helmeted riders is because they assume helmet=experience.

Experience="It's safer to pass the guy close without worrying about him swerving into my lane and having me hit him or crash."

While I agree that drivers can probably identify experience and adjust their driving to it, my recent fixed-gear/tri bike experiments on this topic would suggest the opposite result. I commute to work on a fixie, wearing regular clothes (and a helmet, of course...which apparently isn't cool when riding one of those). Over the past few weeks I have noticed that drivers take way more risks when I'm out on that thing than when I'm all spandexy on my tri bike, even though my speed and riding style don't change. I decided that drivers had more respect for serious/experienced cyclists, and so they were more likely to share the road. On the other hand, a bike commuter is an annoyance to drivers, because they're slow and they break all the traffic laws (at least in my town) and they generally get in the way. So, maybe drivers have less patience with them and they make close passes and stuff to express their frustration or send a signal to get off the road. Thus, when I'm undercover as a bike commuter, drivers do more dangerous things to get around me.

2007-05-15 1:39 AM

Orange County
That's interesting. I don't really notice a difference in any sort of clothing setup I wear, but the commuting-thing sure makes sense, considering that you live in...Seattle? Hmm, fixed gear. Maybe they mis-identify you as a bicycle messenger? People really really hate bicycle messengers, and here's the reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IllCH8v9WDo
2007-05-15 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
The problem with the study is that "Maybe" cars will give more room, but the one time you go down, due to car or self, you better have a helmet or the result could be aweful....
2007-05-15 7:28 AM
in reply to: #800213

User image

Master
Madison, WI
climbin5414 - 2007-05-14 3:31 PM

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=133934

Maybe someone attracted the car a little too much. Although not sure if I believe the tire went squarely over his head. Bike helmets aren't made to be that strong.

There's video that shows the helmet here. Looks like it went over the back of his head.
http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/7503012.html

This is the route I bike home every day. Hits a little close to home, especially considering this is what almost happened to me last week along the same bike path (different intersection).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists Rss Feed