General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit issues v. temp issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-14 1:36 PM

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Wetsuit issues v. temp issues
Hi All,

I'm in my first race (sprint) on sunday. I fully expect it will be hillarious and full of silly mistakes -- I can't wait! I'm looking for opinions/suggestions on wether or not to wear a wetsuit... here's my story...

I'm a swimmer, so no issues with ability but... two weeks ago I did an ocean swim with my surfing wetsuit and had tons of issues (not being able to breathe, claustrophibic, stroke impairment etc...), I sorta freaked out. I did finish the 1 mi. swim but felt really bad about it (see previous posts).

This last weekend I went to a swim clinic where they set up the actual course I'll be doing on Sunday. With temp's in the 60's I decided to forgo the wetsuit and give it a shot. The temp was fine once I got used to it and started swimming, I felt much better with the majority of the swim, the issue now was the entry. As soon as I took my first dive under the first wave, the water was cold enough it took my breath away. I had to stand in the surf and slowly walk my way out to catch my breath before starting to swim regularly.

Now I'm torn; I'd rather not battle claustrophobia for the 750m swim, but I'm also not crazy about giving everyone in my wave a 5 minute head start while I get used to the water, so my questions are:

Does anyone have a suggestion for avoiding or quickly getting through the initial shock of the first dive?
Is there any product that would help with the shock (rash guard or the like)?
Has anybody dealt with this or even just have an opinion? What would you suggest? Wetsuit or not?

I will have the opportunity to practice a bit this week but I would love to hear from people who actually have some experience with Tri's.

Thanks!!!

2007-05-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #799993

User image

Subject: RE: Wetsuit issues v. temp issues

1.  I would suggest wearing a wetsuit.  It's a little early in the season to be going without, IMO.

2.  If you're ok tempwise without it, get in the water before your wave starts and acclimate yourself then, there's no time for acclimation once the gun goes off.

3.  You will also be giving a little time away without the wetsuit, everyone, even good swimmers, are at least a little faster in a wetsuit.

4.  Do you have a swimmin wetsuit?  Sized correctly?  I used to have stroke impairment issues as well until I learned how to properly put a swimming wetsuit on.  Since then, no problems.

5.  Rash guard won't provide warmth

2007-05-14 2:13 PM

User image

Buttercup

I've done OWS clinics where I started with the wetsuit on and after an out/back or two, once I had gotten acclimated to the temp, I ripped the wetsuit off and was very comfortable without it. I can't stand swimming in a wetsuit (swimmer here, too); it's against my religion. If the temp merits it, I'll wear one though.

Maybe you could warmup before your tri with a wetsuit - or without it - to get acclimated, then you'll be ready for your swim.

Edited by Renee 2007-05-14 2:14 PM
2007-05-14 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
The biggest mistake is that you attempted to take a long swim in a...

• .. "surfing wetsuit".... That had to su ck.

• That had to be one of the most uncomfortable swims a person could make...

Swim specific wetsuits are cut VERY differently and are typically made of different material (or at least the material is applied radically different than how a surfing wetsuit is designed).

Try the swim in a wetsuit designed for swimming AND IT MUST FIT PROPERLY.

With a properly FITTED tri-specific wetsuit... you will see an instant difference in the ability to breath... stroke reach... floation... comfort... neck comfort... etc.

Until then, your better off without a wetsuit.... assuming the water is warm enough relative to the distance you will be swimming.

Joe Moya
    2007-05-14 5:18 PM
    in reply to: #800265

Regular
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Joe M - 2007-05-14 2:02 PM

The biggest mistake is that you attempted to take a long swim in a...

• .. "surfing wetsuit".... That had to su ck.

• I know that swimming wetsuits are preferable but as this is my first tri I am not willing to shell out a bunch of cash at this point. I'm stuck with what I've got access to; which unfortunately is a surfing wetsuit or nothing...

If I decide I like this and will commit to doing more races I will most definitely be looking to invest in an appropriate wetsuit and bike - since currently I'm borrowing my mom's mountian bike... But untill then, I'm working with what I've got...
    2007-05-14 5:28 PM

User image

Master
    Reston, VA
    I am a former swimmer as well and am not a huge fan of wetsuits. I would go without one. Usually they have a place where you can warm up before the race - if they do, get in the water before your race and get used to it.

Best of luck and have fun!

2007-05-14 5:38 PM
    in reply to: #800396

User image

Extreme Veteran
    SW part of US
    My first triathlon was about 22 or so years ago... and, while wetsuits were available... many were pretty much poorly designed and used the wrong material... at any rate, I did my first triathlon without a wetsuit (... mostly because I was poor... uh...no make that po'... I couldn't even afford the extra "o" or "r".) And, to be honest... it wasn't that bad... eventhough I was a pretty bad swimmer.

I learned a lot over the past few decades of doing hundreds of triathlons... but, one thing I miss is the simplicity of the old days... the days when a lot of races didn't even have bike racks... you just laid your bike down on the ground or against a fence or tree... also... support? That meant some person who happen to have a home along the bike or run course left his water hose out for you to get a drink or refill your water bottles.

So... when I read your post about your problems with a wetsuit and a borrowed mountain bike... I had a flash back to the good old days. And... the good old days of working with what I had just can't be replaced by todays high (over) priced tri-gear. In a lot of ways, I envy your first triathlon attempt

Good Luck...

BTW, I don't know where you live... but, you may find a place close that will rent you a wetsuit. Also, If you can... if the mountain bike has knobby tires... it would be very good idea to change the tires to a road tire.

Again... Good Luck with your race... and, I hope you like this sport... one thing for sure, no race is the same... something ALWAYS make each race different challenge. Which is why decades later... I am still learning.

Joe Moya
    2007-05-14 6:21 PM

Regular
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Will smooth road tires make that much of a difference? The bike is certianly my weakness (to put it mildly) we're talking 12 mph or so - sad I know... On hills I can literally run faster than I can bike.

If the road tires will make a significant difference I will look into them. Why would they make such a difference? (just curious)
    2007-05-14 9:17 PM
    in reply to: #800415

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I am going to do my first triathlon in a borrowed wetsuit and a 7 year old mountain bike with new tires!! I am considering whether to swing for the water bottle that I can put on the bike or if I should just go thirsty!! And I am a 45 year old mother!

I want to do this sport simply, at least at first. My swimsuit is not even a swimmer's suit!!!
    2007-05-14 11:31 PM
    in reply to: #800609

User image

Extreme Veteran
    SW part of US
    Well...like they say... it's not age... but, it is mileage that makes the difference...

A few suggestions...

• .. if you haven't already... make dang sure you try out that wetsuit before the race. Nothing is worse than a poorly fitted wetsuit to make a swim really tough (...specially if they fill up with water because of poor fit...ugh.) You probably figured out by now that wetsuits are defined predominatedly by Fit and not water temperature (assuming the water temp. allows no wetsuit in the first place.)

• And,... finally have fun and finish... the two f's of your first triathlon.

Also, TAKE THE WATER... dehydration is not fun.

Good Luck.

Joe "Punching 50 in June" Moya
    2007-05-14 11:43 PM
    in reply to: #800454

User image

Extreme Veteran
    SW part of US
    ... a few reasons...

But, the BIG reason is that knobby tires will beat you up... more specifically your bum...

A mountain bike is designed more for a lot of out of the seat riding... while road bikes are designed for in the seat riding... i.e., you sit most of the time. Knobby tires assume more out of the seat riding than a road tire... plus, knobbys are designed for traction... i.e., more friction between the tire and the ground. For road biking friction is an enemy of effort. Knobby's will drain not only your energy but they have a tendancy to cause more general fatique.

Perhaps someone else can post more details about their experiences... but, I have never done a road race triathlon with knobbys... but, I did do a mixed terrain cross country triathlon once. They had a short stretch of payment for the bike portion...hmmm... as I remember, it was only about 4-5 miles... and, I remember that short distance like it was yesterday... man,... that short distance brought a whole new meaning to the term "uncomfortable" for the butt/whole crotch ensemble (...if you know what I mean).

The best tires will be the narrowest and smoothest tires you can put on that bike.

Joe

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit issues v. temp issues Rss Feed