General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper GI Issues on the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-14 10:28 PM

Subject: Upper GI Issues on the Bike
For my races this season, I've been having a really hard time with my stomach on the bike. Whether it is a sprint or a half ironman my stomach is so upset that I can't stop burping when I'm riding and it's even causing me to vomit. I've tried changing fuels, taking smaller sips and eliminated my usual pre-race gel. I've also gone to all liquid fuel. This isn't a problem I had last year or that I have in training, so what gives? Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

For my last HIM, I used Perpetuem and HEED on the bike for just over 200 cal/hour (I'm about 120 lbs). I drank three bottles of fluid in my bike, which was just under 3 hours.

Help! Any ideas?

2007-05-14 11:07 PM
in reply to: #800667

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: RE: Upper GI Issues on the Bike
I remember reading an article saying this has to do with breathing on the swim. Do you have this problem on training rides, or only after a swim?
2007-05-14 11:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Does this occur outside of training?

If so... you might consider seeing a doctor.

There could be a lot of reasons... from a serious illness to something as simple as allergies or misuse (or lack of tolerance to NSAID's.)

If you are taking any NSAID's, you may re-consider this practice.

There are a ton of ideas... but, you have to rule out the more serious problems first.

Joe Moya
2007-05-15 10:01 AM

This actually only happens when racing. I don't have this problem when training or during regular life. I also don't use NSAIDs. Granted in training, I seldom do a swim/bike brick, but I do keep a bottle on the side of the pool that I drink from while swimming, which doesn't give me any problems.

Any other thoughts?
2007-05-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: #801026

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
It could be the bike position... your horizontal while consuming acidic fluids.... this allows stomach acids to move up into the throat (... that is bad and can cause some serious problems in future if you allow this to become chronic.)

To correct this problem can be simple (medication) or complicated (surgery)... dependening on the cause of your GERD like symtoms.

The only REAL solution is to go to a gastro-intestinal doctor.

Anything less is only wishful thinking... any medications taken to moderate the symtoms could make the problem worse in the long run (specially if it is cancer or ulcer-like stomach issues).

One visit to the doctor and a few tests later will definately be the right answer... unfortunately, you could probably buy a nice new set of wheels for that may cost... (heavy sigh).

As it stands, your not going to need those nice set of racing wheels because you can't ride without getting sick... so, the best solution is to see a doctor.

Joe

Edited by Joe M 2007-05-15 10:17 AM
2007-05-15 10:41 AM

Now you might be on to something. I'm on a new bike this season. Went from a roadie to a tri bike... Although if it were just the bike, it seems like I'd still have the problem when training. Maybe it's the combo of additional intensity and position my system can't handle. This sucks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper GI Issues on the Bike Rss Feed