BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-09-10 11:42 AM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
Hey Dave, did you race yesterday too?? I don't bother to look at your logs because you don't post on them, so I'm a little in the dark about your race shedule

2007-09-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #958119

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-10 11:42 AM Hey Dave, did you race yesterday too?? I don't bother to look at your logs because you don't post on them, so I'm a little in the dark about your race shedule

No race for me.  Next will be Longhorn HIM on Oct 7th in Austin, TX.  I rode 72 miles @ 18.9 mph solo on Saturday, and I wanted to do a long run on Sunday, but I actually listened to my body and took the day off.  My legs were pretty sore, tired and "heavy" from 2 weeks of higher intensity build workouts.

I went out to watch and support Ken at his HIM.  I was the first time I actually went to a race just to watch, and it was a lot funner that I thought it'd be! 

Did you go volunteer/watch IMMOO?

2007-09-10 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Nope. My little girl has been giving me fits lately with her attitude. I actually had to ground an almost 7 year old because she was playing too much with the neighbor girl who is barely 5 and apparently teaching Micah to be more demanding and sassy than I've ever seen her. I decided I couldn't really justify getting a babysitter for Micah and Mose and take Noah with me as that would just make things worse. Micah just needs some momma attention these days and some good limits! Kids actually need and respect discipline. I thought (briefly) about taking all three along to "help". I think the IM people will be grateful that I didn't try that!

But I did run a 5K race in town on Saturday and it went pretty well for me. A lot of hills. Good practice.

And I went back on a diet. So I'll be pretty crabby for awhile. But I can't see lugging my huge azz around on a half marathon--it will just make running sooooo much easier to drop a few!! So I'm actually using the nutrition log on here. Good God, I had NOOOO idea apple pie had THAT many calories!! Geesh. I made pie for the kids and had to try some.........next time I'll just make apple sauce instead!
2007-09-10 8:39 PM

User image

New user
I'm alive

My only advice, ride lots, then ride lots more.
2007-09-10 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Aww, come on, where's the post race euphoria, Ironman??? You are supposed to be on cloud 9 and so full of happy chemicals that you feel like taking on the next impossible challenge and loving each person so much that you single handedly achieve world peace! Or at least that's how I get for a brief day or two after I do something I didn't truly know for sure I could pull off.....

I am glad that David suggested I concentrate on the bike this summer. Geesh. It's harder than I thought and I have surprised myself with my progress, even though I am still pretty slow. If the run went half as well, I'd have signed up for 08.

Matt--did you sign up for moo next year? Or will you concentrate on Law School? Either one is more challenge than 99% of the world would care to take on
2007-09-10 11:26 PM
in reply to: #958118

User image

Champion
Butler

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-10 11:41 AM Awesome Ken!! Cramps and rain = major suckage! What did your son think of his tuff daddy?? I bet he's super proud Congrats!
Thanks, actually the rain was a nice relief from the rain.  Trust me if you saw the run course you would have welcomed the rain.  13 miles and almost all was unshaded and over a Dam (Damn, Dam!!!).  Only about 20 people went sub 2hrs on the run out of 200 hundred, I don' t know if that is bad or good but I am guessing bad.  Unfortunately my son is still at the age where he is clueless of what is going on.  He was upset the day before when he found out he was not going though. 

Oh well, probably no more long distance stuff.  Need to take it easier and try and get in good graces of the wife again.  At least that is my plan for now but we will see how long it will last.  My goal for now is sprints but work on my time.  I actually would like to PR my open 5K time but at the end of a sprint so I need to get sub 22:00 but I still want a good bike split.  I plan on redoing my first tri ever at the end of October if plans workout to see how I have progress the last year.  The race is a 300m pool swim, 12 mile bike and 5K.  Last year I went 1:12 with 6 mo of swimmin about 5 bike rides.  I redid the same course in April in 1:11 but took it easy.  I think sub 1:10 is definately possible but I am going to take if fairly easy the next 2.5 weeks.  I have to take a manadatory 2 week vacation starting next week so come October I will start training again but a little less time and more intensity to see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for their support especially David who braved the rain on Sunday for his first spectating experience.  I hope I can return the favor sometime soon.

2007-09-10 11:29 PM
in reply to: #957932

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-09-10 10:13 AM

Congratulations to Matt and Ken who both completed their A races yesterday. 

14:05 is an awesome time for a first IM, especially on a tough course like MOO!   Well done, Matt.  You should be very proud.  

Ken did very well to finish his first HIM yesterday despite extremely tough conditions.  It was very, very humid and the run course had no protection from the sun as it is on a dam!   He had some severe leg cramps that prevented him from running as well as he hoped to, but he pushed through the pain and ran the last 3 miles strong, finishing like a true triathlete.  He'll post a RR soon, but in the mean time you can see him finishing strong in the rain here and here.  These pictures aren't the best, but it was raining really hard and they're the best I could get.

Man I look fat in the first Pic.  It is probably the fact that I have chicken legs.  Seriously though, Thanks for coming out and for all your help.
2007-09-12 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Matt and Ken--please write your race reports!! Seriously, you can't imagine how valuable they are to beginners like me! I wish very strongly to not have to make more mistakes than necessary and being Norwegian, I tend to learn things the HARD way! If you want to read a really fun IM race report, check out PeterAK's report. I found him awhile back and have studied his nutrition and mileage, etc. and appreciate his details.....he even talks about how many poops he took that day!! Gotta love us cheeseheads and our bluntness! (though I'm from Minnesota originally)

You guys should just be posting in glee these days--come on--I want to read some sappy emotional euphoria!!!

And Matt, chicks DIG poetry When I become an Ironchick, I'll be thinking about that miles to go line the whole darn way!! If I was musical, I'd do a Gwen Stefani type song using that poem and putting it to some rockin ironman tunes and blast it on the finish chute!!

Ken, I bet your lovely wife will let you do an IM sooner than you think. Women are more supportive and understanding than we let you believe we are She probably secretly loves being hitched to a tri dude! Hey, it beats being married to a drunk azzhole with a beer belly
2007-09-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #962551

User image

Champion
Butler

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-12 8:25 PM Matt and Ken--please write your race reports!! Seriously, you can't imagine how valuable they are to beginners like me!

Ken, I bet your lovely wife will let you do an IM sooner than you think. Women are more supportive and understanding than we let you believe we are She probably secretly loves being hitched to a tri dude! Hey, it beats being married to a drunk azzhole with a beer belly

Here it is.  Unfortunately I don't know if it will help much.  One thing that I did not put in the report that I am so glad I did was bring a garbage bag to put my transition bag in during the race because it looked like rain.  Well it poured and my bag and it's contents were nice and dry.

As far as an IM and it happening sooner than later I really doubt it.  I already told her basically only sprints next year since I can compete in those without little planned training.  I will probably do some long run (marathon or longer next year though).  Really the only thing she really does not like about Tri's other than me talking about them all the time is the bike and that is the biggest part of a HIM or IM.  Plus there is the $ aspect.  I have a very inexpensive but usable bike.  Ask David it is a tank, I think it' s new name is "Sherman" (like the tank).  So if I do an IM I want a new bike so $1500 min, $500 for the race and 5 days in a hotel plus travel is just money I don't have.  We really want to have another little toad next year so we will really have no money.  In a few years I might start ramping up mileage to where I could do one with minimal training but part of me does not just want to finish. 

As far a her prefering a tri dude over a beer belly drunk a$$hole, I have been a drunk with a beer belly just not the a$$hole part and she complained about that too.   I always joke with her that she just likes to complain which usually gets me hit but oh well.   She has admitted in the past that part of her dislike of me training is that she loathes going to the gym and is slightly jealous and that is where part of the problem lies.

So for now short races but get faster.   I just have to decide if I think my body can handle another ultra.  I am thinking 50 miles but man my knees cringe at the though.

2007-09-13 10:20 AM
in reply to: #962573

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-09-12 8:47 PM

Ask David it is a tank, I think it' s new name is "Sherman" (like the tank).

Ken does not lie.  I had to wheel that beast from the TA back to his car after his race, and I'm still feeling the effects of that effort!  I didn't even attempt to put on his bike rack for him; I'm not sure I could lift it that high! 

2007-09-20 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Hey superpeople...how ya'll doing???

I miss you guys! Talk to me. I'm going through posting withdrawal and need my fix

I don't have a lot to report, but a sort of miracle has happened. I'm gaining some fitness. I can now maintain a 19mph average for an hour at a time and that wasn't possible a month ago. A month ago I would glimpse 20's but couldn't hold them for more than a minute and would end up with a 15 mph average. And even though I didn't swim for more than 2 weeks, I did 2100 yards today no sweat. I felt like I could have kept going, but I had other errands to run before getting back to pick up the kids from school, and there was a fellow sharing my lane (which is good actually). No bodies to crawl over or feet to kick me in the head, but it was a good swim anyway. The run.......well, it's still not my thing. I keep trudging along though, hoping the fitness miracle occurs with that as well and I can actually outrun a snail one day

I even met an ironman dude who lives up in Michigan. He's exactly my age, has a daughter with him full time and keeps talking about stuff like: he has a building I could relocate my practice to for free, he's got clearance from the bank to remodel his house to add three more bedrooms, a second bathroom and a playroom for my kids, and his daughter is old enough to babysit for us to go train together! He's retired army and has an amazing pension and owns 2 houses and this commercial building. He doesn't drink or do drugs (an improvement over my prior relationships) and has 2 master's degrees and is a dissertation away from his Ph.D. in Health Psychology. He did the Floridian iron distance in about 13 hours and runs a 14 mile loop almost every day. And he's even tall enough for me at 6'3". He hasn't actually talked to me the way most guys do--no requests for fish nets and high heels, or comments about my bra size--he's actually an old fashioned fellow that believes in waiting til it's serious first! Miracles. They are wonderful things!

Keep the faith, dudes!!!!

2007-09-20 8:17 PM
in reply to: #973426

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-20 7:19 PM Hey superpeople...how ya'll doing??? I miss you guys! Talk to me. I'm going through posting withdrawal and need my fix I don't have a lot to report, but a sort of miracle has happened. I'm gaining some fitness. I can now maintain a 19mph average for an hour at a time and that wasn't possible a month ago.

WOW! Pene.  19 mph for an hour ROCKS!  That is quite an improvement for you.  Way to go! Won't be long before you're able to hold 20s!   

I even met an ironman dude who lives up in Michigan.

That's great.  I know it can be tough to meet people at this stage in life, so congrats. 

As for me, good news and bad news I suppose.  I was doing pretty well in my build phase in prep for my last race of the season, the Longhorn HIM in Austin on Oct 7th.  I have been doing bike intervals (4-5 x 12 mins at high Z3) and even a few track workouts (4-5 x 800s), and I've also been trying to finish the last 10-30 minutes my longer rides and runs at a faster than normal pace.  Things were good, and then this past weekend I went up to the DC area to visit some friends at the end of my rest week, and decided to run in a half-marathon last minute.  I wanted to get a long run in while I was there and this race went right by their house, so I figured what the hell.  BIG MISTAKE.  I ended up pulling/tweaking/somehow messing up my left hamstring and I haven't been able to run all week.  DAMN!!  I went too hard and too far at the same time.  I broke a cardinal rule: Don't increase intensity (speed) and volume (distance) at the same time!

I did however set a PR = 1:37:11 (7:25 pace), but only by 30 seconds.  It's nice to set a PR, but trust me it wasn't worth missing a week or maybe even more of running with my big race less than 3 weeks away!

Still learning...

Thank god I can still bike!   

How's everyone else doing?  Does anyone else have races left?

Matt, where's your RR?  I'm dying to read it! 

2007-09-20 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
I'm dying to read Matt's IM report, too! I just have a feeling the super dude is busy with school and has forgotten all about us here

Dave--I have FULL empathy for you with your hamstring deal! A physician's assistant/triathlete friend of mine also pulled her hamstring early in the season and had the following advice for me: ice, ice, ice, DO NOT stretch it at all until it is sufficiently healed (4-8 weeks, dude, sorry!), and just quit running entirely until it feels stronger. If you jog on it and it hurts, you gotta stop. Period. And it might take up to 6 months before it is 100%. But let's hope it is just a mild strain and will be all better in a few days........ But hey, congrats on the PR! And yep, you should be able to bike and swim like a fiend no problemo, cuz I did, and mine was pretty bad. It is still a bit weaker. And that's been about 12 weeks now, I think. Oh well. At least you didn't break an ankle or chip a tooth!!

Ken--maybe we should take up an offering for you so you can get a bike more deserving of your talents! I can't believe you achieve such speeds on such a tank! Bet you will be Lance-like on a lighter bike. We could throw you a benefit.......
2007-09-20 9:17 PM

Connecticut
Hey all, my first and last race of the year is on Sunday. It is a short sprint. I feel like I am ready for it and can't wait for the day to come. I will post a race report as soon as possible. Kevin
2007-09-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #973513

User image

Champion
Butler
[Ken--maybe we should take up an offering for you so you can get a bike more deserving of your talents! I can't believe you achieve such speeds on such a tank! Bet you will be Lance-like on a lighter bike. We could throw you a benefit.......
Thanks for the offer but it is actually fun on a cheap bike flying by the $5K ones.  Maybe someday I will get a tri bike.  I could probably afford one but wife says no.  I finally convinced her to let us get a new HD Tv but no bike since it is just for me.  Oh well, TV is better than nothing especially during football season.  Now I just need the HD service.
2007-09-23 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Hey kids! I discovered I'm out of juice these days because my darn anemia is back. Bah!!

Noah did his second Du today and came in third!! His race report is as follows: "I could have got second if I had kept my helmet on. I lost a lot of time with that." So there you have it--in a duathlon, keep your darn helmet on!!

(medal.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
medal.bmp (95KB - 32 downloads)

2007-09-24 10:26 AM

Connecticut
first triathlon officially in the books!!!!!! I cannot wait for the next one. The race was a .4 mile swim, 13 mile bike and 5k run. Overall unadjusted time was 1:31:42. I started in the first timers wave and had a decent swim. The transition was about .20 miles from the swim. T1 was interesting, I knew what I had to do but wasn't very smooth in how I did it. I think I can definately make up some time there with a more efficient routine. The bike was relatively flat and I averaged 18.3. I was happy with the bike portion. then came the run. I had done some bricks leading up to the event but it took me almost a half mile before I settled into a good rhythem. Overall, I was pleased with my performance but now I know where I need to improve. I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here and provided any bit of knowledge or information. With your assistance, you help make this a successful day. I only wish I did one early in the season as I cannot wait until next year. Thanks again and a race report will follow once the split times are posted.
2007-09-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: #976572

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-09-24 10:26 AM first triathlon officially in the books!!!!!! I cannot wait for the next one. 

Awesome race, Kevin.  Congrats on "becoming a triathlete".   I'm sooo glad you had a good time and want to do more, but be careful; they're addicting.

18.3 mph avg is not bad at all, but what's more important is that you had a good time.  Don't worry about transitions especially in your first race.  I'm still working on mine after 3 years!  Also, I'm not surprised that it took you a while to get your running legs despite having done some bricks.  People typically ride and run races at a higher intensity than they train and thus your legs were not used to running hard after riding hard.  But again, don't worry about this now. 

Enjoy the off season, keep some level of training going, work on your "limiters", try not to put on holiday weight and you'll be in great shape for next season.

Please do write up a race report and let us know about it here when you're done. 

2007-09-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #976086

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-23 9:48 PM Hey kids! I discovered I'm out of juice these days because my darn anemia is back. Bah!! Noah did his second Du today and came in third!! His race report is as follows: "I could have got second if I had kept my helmet on. I lost a lot of time with that." So there you have it--in a duathlon, keep your darn helmet on!!

Sorry to hear about the anemia, but please give my heart felt congratulations to Noah.  3rd place is AWESOME!  It's so funny that he's already obsessing about losing a few seconds messing with his helmet.  Pretty soon, he'll be asking you for racing flats and a disc wheel!  

2007-09-25 12:17 PM

Connecticut
Okay, the updated times and splits are in. This race did not use timing chips so the transition times are lumped in with the event times. .4 swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run, Overall I finished 87th out of 204, seven out of eleven in my age group, (30-35). My swim time was 12:56, 88th overall, my bike time was 48.28, 91st overall, and my run time was 25:18 8:10 per mile, for a total time of 1:26:42
2007-09-25 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Woo hoo! Good job!! Are you still on your post-tri high? Gotta love those!! You should be very pleased with those times!

2007-09-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: #978407

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-09-25 12:17 PM Okay, the updated times and splits are in. This race did not use timing chips so the transition times are lumped in with the event times. .4 swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run, Overall I finished 87th out of 204, seven out of eleven in my age group, (30-35). My swim time was 12:56, 88th overall, my bike time was 48.28, 91st overall, and my run time was 25:18 8:10 per mile, for a total time of 1:26:42

Nice results.  They sure are motivating aren't they?!   87/204 is top 43%!  You were faster than way more than half of the people!  8:10 pace is really good too after hard bike and swim. 

Race report? 

2007-09-26 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Hah!! This is just tooo funny!! My sister just brought me my 3rd place medal for the Cashton Fall fest 5K I did a few weeks back! I didn't remember my watch and didn't really think I did very well, but just had fun anyway and thought of it as hill practice. So I didn't stick around for the awards ceremony. This is amazing! I've never won anything for an athletic endeavor in my LIFE! And for the RUN, no less! Well, now, I'm expecting pigs to fly!!
2007-09-26 11:48 AM
in reply to: #979883

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-26 11:43 AM Hah!! This is just tooo funny!! My sister just brought me my 3rd place medal for the Cashton Fall fest 5K I did a few weeks back! I didn't remember my watch and didn't really think I did very well, but just had fun anyway and thought of it as hill practice. So I didn't stick around for the awards ceremony. This is amazing! I've never won anything for an athletic endeavor in my LIFE! And for the RUN, no less! Well, now, I'm expecting pigs to fly!!

WOW!  Congratulations, Pene.  Your first piece of hardware!  That's so awesome.   I'm very happy for you!  Now use it as motivation to keep up the training!

Next time, stick around for the awards ceremony! 

2007-09-27 8:25 AM

Connecticut
The race report is complete, how do I get it on the forum?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36