Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-09-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #980936

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL

kevdia - 2007-09-27 8:25 AM The race report is complete, how do I get it on the forum?

Click Race Log at the top and then "Go To your Race log" button and then click add a race 

2007-09-27 12:05 PM
in reply to: #801094

Connecticut
2007-09-27 12:17 PM

Connecticut

Edited by kevdia 2007-10-01 12:19 PM
2007-10-05 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Not sure if anyone is there here but wanted to wish David good luck at his HIM in Austin, TX on Sunday.

Also, I will be revisiting my first ever Tri from 1 year ago on 10/28.  It is a short sprint in a pool, 300m swim, 12 mile bike and 5K.  It will be 3rd time doing the course and the race company does 2 races a year on the course.

My first race was around 1:12 and the second (in april) was 1:11.  Did not get much faster but really did not train hard for either race.  Swim time was dramatically improved the second race (2min faster), bike was slightly slower but I wanted to save some legs and run was pretty much the same.

Goal is sub 1:10

Swim - 5:30
Bike -  38:00
Run - 23:00

That will leave me 3.5 minutes for transitions and since I plan on the shoes on bike trick (provided I get my new shoes in time to practice) I think this is doable.  All time are pretty aggressive since I have not biked much much and the run is about 1.5min faster than my tri 5K and :45 seconds slower than my stand alone 5K.

We will see.

2007-10-05 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Just had to check in witcha. Let's see....the movie Elf Bowling is a riot. Totally stupid and right up my alley. Of course I rented it for my kids.......they are having a bowling party tomorrow as Micah turned 7 in September and Mose turns 5 this month. I'll be logging bowling! This cracks me up. Have you ever watched professional bowling on TV? The dudes are all skinny greasy haired bad teeth fellows and they high 5 everyone within reach after every throw or bowl or whatever the proper terminology is....they act like they are super hot and it cracks me up!!! I should take up professional bowling

I got out on my mountain bike yesterday. New dude. Not the Michigan one. Yee Gads that one was a nutcase. He had it all planned--the wedding, the ring, the new house addition and adding us onto his dental insurance--all on the first date. I was sooooo NOT attracted and was acting all defensive and I had nothing to say (for like the first time in my life!) and he just went on and on! Well, I had driven over 4 hours to meet him, so I tried to endure it, but it was CREEPY! So, on to the next (half) iron dude. Who was completely normal, thank God. Well, okay, we went for a 3 hour mountain bike ride on the first date and then didn't have time for lunch as we both had to get back to pick up kids from school, so obviously, it would only be normal for a tri person Well, he gave me a peanut butter clif bar! He went slow enough so we could talk the whole way and we went on trails and road so it was fun. I have completely lost all my bike conditioning though. That was a wake up call! I decided to concentrate on the run and trying to drop some pounds (which I have!) and just pay more attention to my life in September, so I didn't bike much after the century. And I lost my endurance! Poop!!

I invested in some under armour. That is some cool stuff! Figured if I wanted to play it safe for the half mary the end of October, I'd better be prepared and that stuff wicks away moisture quite effectively. Now I'm debating new running shoes. They are starting to wear on the outsides of the heels. My tri habit is getting expensive
2007-10-05 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Ha! Ken and I were posting at the exact same time--funny!

Good luck David and KSH this weekend! Can't wait to read the race reports!

And Ken, I'll be doing my half that same day, so I'll send you some good sprint vibes if you send me some endurance vibes! I just hope to not embarrass myself too much with all the walking I'll be doing on my "run". I guess it is just fun to see how much you can progress from year to year!!

2007-10-05 7:58 AM
in reply to: #993051

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-10-05 7:49 AMthe movie Elf Bowling is a riot.
Does this movie have anything to do with the online video game "elf bowling"?  I love that game.

Edited by kproudfoot 2007-10-05 7:58 AM
2007-10-05 8:01 AM
in reply to: #993061

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-10-05 7:54 AM Ha! Ken and I were posting at the exact same time--funny! Good luck David and KSH this weekend! Can't wait to read the race reports! And Ken, I'll be doing my half that same day, so I'll send you some good sprint vibes if you send me some endurance vibes! I just hope to not embarrass myself too much with all the walking I'll be doing on my "run". I guess it is just fun to see how much you can progress from year to year!!
Good luck on your half.  You are doing a half-mary correct?  They are fun because they are not a sprint like a 5K.  Just enjoy yourself the first time and that way your time will be slow an easier to beat the next time.
2007-10-05 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Ken and Pene, Thanks for the remembering and the well wishes!  I haven't been swimming as much as I should and it'll be too warm for wetsuits, so I'm predicting my swim won't be as fast as the 39 mins at Timerbman.   The bike should go well as the the RD told me that he course isn't as tough as Timberman.  I should be over 20 mph again.  The run as usual will be the big question.  It's been 95 degrees down in Austin and if it's in the 90s around noon on Sunday running fast will difficult to say the least.   8:30s if I'm lucky, but probably more like 9 min miles.  I'd love to break my 5:20 PR at Timberman, but with the heat, lack of wetsuit and an extra 0.6 miles on the bike course 5:30 or 5:40 is probably more likely.

Ken, Good luck at the Monster tri.  I bet you'll beat your PR.  

Pene, Good luck at your half marathon.  

2007-10-07 4:42 PM

Connecticut
good luck Dave!!!!!
2007-10-08 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

David,

How was longhorn?

Are you planning on doing the rockledge rumble this year?  I think I might do the 15K since I have not been training the 50K is out this year.  I am still thowing the Grassland 50 miler around but have not decided yet.  I figure I will have to bike less and I really don't want to give that up to run all the time.

2007-10-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: #996638

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-10-08 12:09 PM

David,

How was longhorn?

Are you planning on doing the rockledge rumble this year?  I think I might do the 15K since I have not been training the 50K is out this year.  I am still thowing the Grassland 50 miler around but have not decided yet.  I figure I will have to bike less and I really don't want to give that up to run all the time.

Longhorn was good.  I'll write up a full RR soon, but I went 5:34, 14 minutes off my PR, but the run course was really hilly and it was hot and humid so I only ran a 2:05.   I'm still happy with my performance given the heat and the other circumstances that I'll tell you about in the RR.  Lots of BT'ers were there. 

I'm not sure about the Rumble.  I toying around with doing a spring marathon and limiting myself to strict base training where I keep my HR in my aerobic zone 2 ALL THE TIME for about 12 weeks.  This is supposed to really help your fat burning abilities and help you become faster at your aerobic pace.  However, it requires patience and dedication to keep your HR low for everything you do.  Which means no races!

We'll see.

2007-10-08 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

David,

Great job at Longhorn.

I need to start Z2 training more myself.  I did a LT test the other day and am going to start trying to train in those zones more religiously going forward no matter how slow I have to run. 

2007-10-08 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Way to go David!! That time seems amazing to me. No wetsuit, hills, heat, humidity and the end of the season blahs (oh, yeah, that's me not you). And you are still smokin fast!

Looking forward to your report

I have the urge to eat everything in sight and go hibernate. Must be part bear. I have no drive to go fast whatsoever. I did 11 miles Saturday and was almost embarrassed to post the time. It's just one hair above a slow walk pace for long legged fellows. But now I can pretend that I'm seriously doing Z2 training! So thank you Maybe my slow old body is smarter than I think? I need a race to train for after this half marathon. I've been looking, but no 2008 tri's are posted yet anywhere in the midwest. And I can't really afford to go flying across country too often. The PF Chang rock and roll marathon in January is darn tempting though. Or at least a half. Hmmmmm......snow in Wisconsin or music and fun in AZ..........anyone wanna flip a coin for me?? Or come up here and babysit for me?
2007-10-17 11:38 AM

Connecticut
Dave or anyone with the info for that matter,
I know you (Dave)went up to Timberman this year and I was looking into it for next year. I know registration filled up by January last year so I wanted to get some info before then. Where did you stay and would you recommend it? How far from the course, rates, etc..Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin
2007-10-24 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Quick update:

Signed up for the 8 mile Turkey Trot(11/22)
Still working with the running coach
Still training for the White Rock Half(12/9)
Still waiting for my car(11/17?)
Still waiting for my apartment(12/1?)
Still dating the hottest woman on the planet
Still wondering how I pulled that off

Edited by JBrashear 2007-10-24 8:11 AM

2007-10-24 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Many congratulations!! It's pretty cool to hear a guy publicly declare his love for a woman. I shall call you Romeo henceforth

Here's my update:

I have my half this Sunday. I fly out Saturday because I realized the ferry is closed in October and so I can't go across Lake Michigan, I have to go all the f-ing way around it--NOT!

I'm dating a hot lawyer dude who is 38 no kids, no ex, and gave me a ride on his red motorcycle (he has a Honda and a Ninja). He is a certified ski coach which is good, because I've never gone downhill and need all the help I can get. He's just as weirdly nonconformist as me and acts like a bad boy, but looks great in a nice suit. (irresistible!)

My ex, whom I fondly refer to as Darth Vader because people have actually given me voodoo dolls that they stuck with pins as he was that nice to them, has unbelievably moved back to Wisconsin. So I'm pretty sick about it. However, he will be available now to actually babysit his kids and so I may be able to pull off training with less hassles. He is just soooooo pleasant to deal with though.........and I'm the Queen of sarcasm here.

I lost about 10 pounds and so am now about 5 pounds from where I was when I started all this stuff in January and wanted to lose 10 pounds. Yep, some how I gained a bunch of weight and then finally realized it just couldnt all be muscle, I must have been porking out. So I log every dang thing I eat and I'm losing it. Finally.

Any advice for a half mary in October? Brrrr. I must have been nuts to sign up for this........everyone pray for Indian summer, please.
2007-10-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1021959

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-10-24 8:40 AM  Any advice for a half mary in October? Brrrr. I must have been nuts to sign up for this........everyone pray for Indian summer, please.
  It might be cold at the beginning but not by the end.  You can always wear a cheap long sleeve shirt to the race and then drop it at the start line.  I have heard alot of time they donate clothing laying around to charity.  Or just wear it for part of the race and drop it at a rest stop.
2007-10-24 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

My update is that I am training probably half as much as I used to and thus have gained about 10 lbs.  Fortunately this does not hurt me much on my frame.

I am racing a sprint on Sunday (300m-12.5m-5K).  This is the site of the first tri I ever did 1 year ago.  Hoping to take at least 3 minutes off my time from last year.  Hopefully I can do more than that though.  I think I can do that with the swim and transitions alone.

I am still contiplating signing my 4yr old son up for the kids race the day before.  For him it is a 25m swim, 1mile bike and .33 mile run.  Kids can wear life jackets and use training wheels or he would not be able to do it.  The lady I spoke with said the swim is not even 25mtrs probably half of that and I can be in the water with him and run next to him on the bike/run.  It is more about participation than anything.  My concern is really the bike and whether I can get him in the water.  Plus the race starts at 7:30, WTF?? I would think noon with 4 year olds.

Anyways, I will update after the races.

2007-10-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1012038

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-10-17 11:38 AM Dave or anyone with the info for that matter, I know you (Dave)went up to Timberman this year and I was looking into it for next year. I know registration filled up by January last year so I wanted to get some info before then. Where did you stay and would you recommend it? How far from the course, rates, etc..Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

Sorry for the delayed response.

My wife and I stayed on the Sun Valley Inn  in Weirs Beach.  It had a decent view of the mountains, and was about $100/night if you booked 5 nights.  This is probably about as cheap as you're going to find it during the summer.   Weirs Beach was a decent location, about 15 minutes from the race site.  The small town of Meredith is a little further from the race site, but is really nice.  If I go back, I'd probably look into staying there.  

This site is the best I found for finding places to stay.  

2007-10-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1021914

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-10-24 8:11 AM Quick update: Signed up for the 8 mile Turkey Trot(11/22) Still working with the running coach Still training for the White Rock Half(12/9) Still waiting for my car(11/17?) Still waiting for my apartment(12/1?

Thanks for cheering us on on Longhorn, Johnny.  I'm glad to hear that you're still working with a running coach and that you've signed up for some fun races.  

Still dating the hottest woman on the planet Still wondering how I pulled that off

I guess Karen has a thing for nerds!  

2007-10-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1021959

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-10-24 8:40 AM

I lost about 10 pounds and so am now about 5 pounds from where I was when I started all this stuff in January and wanted to lose 10 pounds. Yep, some how I gained a bunch of weight and then finally realized it just couldnt all be muscle, I must have been porking out. So I log every dang thing I eat and I'm losing it.

Congrats on the weight loss.  I've never been able to consistently log anything (as you know), but I know that logging your eating works really well for a lot of people.  So good job.  Like Ken, most of us tend to pack on a few extra pounds over the winter/holidays.  This isn't all that bad, but if you can minimize it you'll be just that much ahead when the season starts next year and you want to start reaching optimal racing weight.   

Finally. Any advice for a half mary in October? Brrrr. I must have been nuts to sign up for this........everyone pray for Indian summer, please.

I agree with Ken.  Running races in cold weather is great.  It really helps keep your HR down.  Ken's idea of using an "throw-away" long sleeve shirt is a good one.  You might also consider using a trash bag.  You've probably seen people do this when they poke their head and possibly arms through a plastic trash bag.  I've done this a couple of times and works pretty well by trapping the heat and shielding you from the wind.  I'll either throw it off right before the start or after 3-5 minutes of running.

2007-10-24 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1022279

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-10-24 10:52 AM

I am racing a sprint on Sunday (300m-12.5m-5K). This is the site of the first tri I ever did 1 year ago. Hoping to take at least 3 minutes off my time from last year. Hopefully I can do more than that though. I think I can do that with the swim and transitions alone.

Good luck at Monster, buddy. I'm sure you'll beat your time from last year.

I am still contiplating signing my 4yr old son up for the kids race the day before. For him it is a 25m swim, 1mile bike and .33 mile run. Kids can wear life jackets and use training wheels or he would not be able to do it. The lady I spoke with said the swim is not even 25mtrs probably half of that and I can be in the water with him and run next to him on the bike/run. It is more about participation than anything. My concern is really the bike and whether I can get him in the water. Plus the race starts at 7:30, WTF?? I would think noon with 4 year olds.

I say go for it especially if you can run along side him. He'll love it.

Let us know how it goes.

2007-10-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1022326

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-10-24 11:07 AM

JBrashear - 2007-10-24 8:11 AM Quick update: Signed up for the 8 mile Turkey Trot(11/22) Still working with the running coach Still training for the White Rock Half(12/9) Still waiting for my car(11/17?) Still waiting for my apartment(12/1?)

Thanks for cheering us on on Longhorn, Johnny. I'm glad to hear that you're still working with a running coach and that you've signed up for some fun races.

Still dating the hottest woman on the planet Still wondering how I pulled that off

I guess Karen has a thing for nerds!

Don't get your hopes up, she's already got a nerd. :p
2007-10-24 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

My quick update:

Done racing for the year!   I'd love to a popular trail race called the Rockledge Rumble and/or the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon.  But, I've already decided that one of my A races for next year is the Austin Marathon on 2/17.   Thus, I've committed to doing strictly base training (Z1-Z2 only, run and bike) for 12 weeks solid.  This implies no racing for me, b/c I have a tough time racing "just for fun".

I've also registered for the California 70.3 race in Oceanside, CA on 3/29/2008.   My sister lives in San Diego and I can stay with her for the race.  Assuming her and the race site are not burned to the ground by then.  (J/K, she's fine)

Not intentionally, I've lost 5-10 pounds in the last few months.  I'm close to 170 lbs. these days and while that's great for running, I'm afraid that I might be losing muscle too.  Thus, I'm trying to increase my protein intake and want to get serious about lifting 2-3 times week in hopes of maintaining muscle mass while continuing to lose body fat.  My goal is to get to single digits next year.  I'm at about 12-13 % now.  We'll see. 

Keep posting everyone.  Sorry, I've been AWOL recently.  I'll try to post more! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36