Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-10-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL

Dave, Sorry you won't be able to run the Rumble.  I still have not signed up but will probably do the 15K only, may the 30K, but definately not the 50K.

Now to brag a little.  I made a swimming breakthough today.  I have been trying to learn to bilateral breathe the last week or so and made my mind up today to do a 30min straight swim and breath bilaterally the whole way if possible.  I had been getting better so I did not know if 30minutes would be possible.  Well I went 1750yds in 30min.  I started looking back at my logs and this is pretty much the faster 100 pace (1.71) I have ever done for a whole workout.  For comparison in Jan and Feb I was doing 1500 in 30min with only right side breathing.  In April I did 1775 in 34:47 and in June I did 1750 in 32:30.  I still do not feel completely comfortable when I look to the left but it is getting better.  I just need to learn how much air I need.  It seems if I take too much in I can't get it all out.  I also get a sinking feeling if I don't pul with my right arm when I go left.

I just need to keep working on it.  I will probably still go right only this weekend but might throw some bi in along the way.

2007-10-27 10:37 AM

User image

New user
Almost done racing for the year, CCIW Cross Country Championships are Today, in 2 hours.

Then if anyone is in the Chicagoland area in early December I think it is, there is the Cross Country Challenge open to everyone, its a crazy awesome race with tons of mud and tons of water (not the kind you drink).

Rockin' 07 Kids.
2007-10-27 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Well my son completed his first Tri today.  They did not time the race it was all about competing.  I was slightly worried mainly about the bike but he was a champ.  25meter swim, 1 mile bike and 1/3 mile run.  It was alittle cold out today, high 40's low 50's so that sucked for the kids.  I litterally wrapped my son in a beach towel after the swim and carried him to transition and layered the clothes on.  Except I forgot to bring gloves so I had to take my socks off and let him wear those.  He had a blast.  I will post pictures later, except my wife was so excited she kept forgetting to take pictures.
2007-10-27 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Nice to hear you are still alive, Matt! Go kick butt with your CC race! I'm in Grand Rapids Michigan for my half mary....gulp.

Ken, Awwwwww.....how cool that your little triathlete finished! He's definitely your "mini me"!

Not that any of you care, but it's therapeutic for me.....lawyer dude wrote me that he's gonna date this lady he knew awhile back but just found out is recently single again...but he'll still teach me to ski if I want.....typical....so I went on an emailing spree and found a mountain bike dude/firefighter/EMT/ IV therapist at a hospital who actually has a blue Trek the same shade as mine! And he only lives 30 miles away Ha! She takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!! We were on the phone til 2 a.m. so I am just a weeeee bit goofy today from lack of sleep
2007-10-28 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Quick results.  I was hoping to go under 1:10.  I did 1:07:25 (tied for 17th, with another Bter).  Not sure how many people raced but probably over 250 so I am pretty happy.  Placed 2nd clyde so got hardware.  I will put a full race report out soon.
2007-10-28 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Yah Ken!! You smoked it! Nice job on the hardware dude!! Hope you had fun

Well kids, I did it! I'm in the airport in Grand Rapids and I have a loooonngg wait. I don't know WHAT I was thinking when I booked this flight??? I coulda walked the full mary and had time to spare!

I finished the half in about 2:44, which, believe it or not, is great for me! My previous attempt to do 13 was in 3:02 so I kicked the snot out of that time. No cramps, no asthma attack, and I had fun! Most of the miles were just under 12 minutes, but the last 2 miles I bonked. Not nutritionally, but psychologically. I just didn't really care about time any more. It was a beautiful fall day, there were still some pretty leaves and at one point there was a groovy fog over the river and it was really cool to run through that. The race was wonderfully managed. Took 4 minutes just to cross the start line! I think there were about 3000 for the full and half that for the half. I got this cool huge honking medal and the t-shirt is pretty nifty too! They fed us a nice pasta dinner the night before and chili after the race--not too spicy, and hit the spot! I forgot my gloves, but people discarded enough clothing along the way, that I got mismatched gloves and that helped a bunch. There was an older gentleman who took me under his wing and talked with me about a bunch of mindless stuff and that helped a lot! then he had to go off to do the full course and I missed the distraction! If I do a full, I intend to invite some character to do it with me and keep me distracted! Anyone wanna take me under their wing??? Hey, you can walk and I'll run and you'll still finish before me,but you would be doing me a huge favor God would smile upon you Yep.......bored in the airport and still on my post race euphoria kick

2007-10-28 10:33 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Here is the race report I wrote for my son's race yesterday.  I will hopefully have mine tomorrow.
2007-10-29 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1027296

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Pene,

Congrats on beating your PR, and having fun while doing it.  Picking up used gloves...Nice!

I know what you mean about having someone to talk to during a long run.  I ran a trail marathon in Feb, and I ended up talking with a women almost the whole way.  It really helped pass the time.

2007-10-31 12:58 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

David,

Questions about HR training.  I know you are well versed on this are doing now yourself.

I did my LT test a few weeks ago and determined my Z2 is 152-161.  How should I now train using this.  My goal is to run 4-5 miles 2-3 days a week and then a long run on the weekends.  Should my goal be to get to this range as quick as possible and then maintain it at that rate or work to that point slowly?  I guess I am just confused.  How often should I train in Z1?

Thanks - Ken

2007-10-31 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1031680

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-10-31 12:58 PM

David,

Questions about HR training. I know you are well versed on this are doing now yourself.

I did my LT test a few weeks ago and determined my Z2 is 152-161. How should I now train using this. My goal is to run 4-5 miles 2-3 days a week and then a long run on the weekends. Should my goal be to get to this range as quick as possible and then maintain it at that rate or work to that point slowly? I guess I am just confused. How often should I train in Z1?

Thanks - Ken

First of all, I'm doing what I call strict MAF training (MAF = Maximum Aerobic Function) which is essentially Z1-2 training only.  Nothing above Z2.   Some people might just call this base training or the base or prep phase.  But I've seen many base training plans that had at least some anaerobic components or intervals mixed in.  I'm not going anaerobic at all.  The reason is that even small amount of anaerobic training (i.e., HRs above Z2) can negatively affect aerobic base building.  See this excellent article about this theory.

I'm trying to improve my performance at an aerobic effort/pace, not at a effort near LT. For example, my Z2 is near yours at about 148 - 159.   I want to improve my pace at that HR, not at 175.   Also, I want to teach my body burn a higher % of fat at Z2 pace.  This is done by staying at or below Z2.   

I know you're not going long next year, but if want to base training in the winter then you can do something similar to me.  Personally, I've recently started setting my HRM to beep when I'm over 156 (near the middle of Z2 for me).  In other words, I try to stay below 156 the whole run.   I'm not too concerned about how low it is and I'm sure I'm in upper Z1 are fair amount but I think that's fine.  If I'm running at any respectable pace, I'm above 135 and most of the time I'll be above 140.  So I basically I'm trying to maximize my time in upper Z1 and lower Z2.

Did this answer your question in a round-about way?

BTW, have you decided what your A races for next year will be? 

2007-10-31 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Thanks and yes it did answer my question.  One more though.  What formula did you use to determine your zones?  I initially used my avg HR of 165 and used BT's zones which gave me the 152-161 number but if Mike Ricci's formula's it is closer to 141-150.  Not sure what is true.  152-161 seems too high as today I ran 5miles at 160 average (over z2 part of the run) and averaged 8:00/miles.

I have not really thought too much about next year.  Since I am not doing any long course stuff maybe just an olympic I will not follow much of a training plan.  Since I am not doing any long course I would like to do more short races though but we'll see.  I am still toying with the idea of doing Grasslands but don't know if I want to commit to the training.  If I do I will probably start around December.  It also depends on how next weekend goes.  If I pull that off pretty easily and recover quickly I might keep doing a long run every couple weeks to maintain.

2007-10-31 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1031775

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-10-31 1:48 PM

Thanks and yes it did answer my question. One more though. What formula did you use to determine your zones? I initially used my avg HR of 165 and used BT's zones which gave me the 152-161 number but if Mike Ricci's formula's it is closer to 141-150. Not sure what is true. 152-161 seems too high as today I ran 5miles at 160 average (over z2 part of the run) and averaged 8:00/miles.

I have not really thought too much about next year. Since I am not doing any long course stuff maybe just an olympic I will not follow much of a training plan. Since I am not doing any long course I would like to do more short races though but we'll see. I am still toying with the idea of doing Grasslands but don't know if I want to commit to the training. If I do I will probably start around December. It also depends on how next weekend goes. If I pull that off pretty easily and recover quickly I might keep doing a long run every couple weeks to maintain.

Like this article discusses, there are many ways to define your zones.  From this article, I like the MAF and Freil methods which produce similar results for me.   Remember zones are ranges and are not hard and fast limits.  If I go 157 instead of 156, I'm not immediately anaerobic.  Also remember what we're trying to do is get a good measure of the intensity.  This can (and should) be done with HR and pace for running.   HRs will be higher in the heat and if you're stressed out for some reason.  Pace will be slower on hills and into a stiff headwind.  You really need both. 

For pace-based intensity guidelines or zones, I like using the popular Daniels' popular VDOT values.  Use this site to enter a recent race time, and it'll compute your Easy pace (E pace) which is roughly lower Z2 or upper Z1.    Also, you can use Training Peaks Pace Zone Indices (PZI)  in which case PZ3 is roughly Z2. 

I hope I'm not confusing this issue.  All these methods are essentially trying to capture the same thing: your aerobic intensity.  Plug your info into these different methods and take an average of them or find where they overlap and that'll be very close to your aerobic zone. 

You're now experienced enough where you probably have an intuitive sense as to where your aerobic zone is anyway.  However, from the little I know about you, 160 HR and 8 min miles sounds a little fast to truly be aerobic and in Z2 for you.  I'd probably try to stay closer to 150 or 155 (or 8:30 - 9:00 pace) if I were you.  See what the pace guides tell you, and let me know.  It's better to be a little conservative and spend time in Z1 or lower Z2 than to be in Z3.   I've heard many coaches say Z3 is a "no mans land": too fast to get all the benefits of aerobic training but too slow to get the benefits of training near LT.

2007-10-31 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

I used an average of the formulas and got 140-150 so you number of 150-155 sound better than what I calculated.  I will try and stay in that range for now. 

Unfortunately, I really don't know terminology, but should like you mentioned.  I really just run/bike based on how I feel and honestly couldn't tell you if I was aerobic or anarobic or really what either of them mean off the top of my head.  I know the general concept of what they are but not too much.  I really need to read up on both of them.

2007-10-31 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1031746

User image

Champion
Butler

BTW, have you decided what your A races for next year will be? 

Alright, I was looking at different race calendars and here is tentative schedule for next year but next year will probably be pretty laid back.  I have 2 weddings to go to out of state and my wife and I are thinking about having another kids so I don't want to have anything set in stone.  I know I won't be doing any long course tri's but would like to do at least 1 ultra run.

March - Grasslands 50miler
April - Playtri sprint or Oly (probably oly) but not sure if this is a good idea at all with running the ultra  month before or possible the DA St. Patricks day tri
June - Ironhead mini-sprint
September - Stonebride ranch Oly
October - Monster Tri
November - Rockledge Rumble 50K

I figure I will keep swimming 2 to 3 days a week throught he winter and next year and throw in a few bike days a week even if on the trainer.  Maybe a long ride every 2 weeks of 40-50 miles.  This will allow me to concentrate on running and training for the 50miler in March starting in December sometime so as not to get hurt like the last time I tried and ultra.  After that I will try to bike more though out the summer, not longer rides just hopefully I can get more rides in to give the legs a break from the pounding and then add mileage before the 50K in November.

How does this sound?  The only thing that worries me is the race in April.  The entry fee is cheaper through 11/30 so I will definately sign up by then if I decide to race.  Chances are 50/50 that I will even go through with the ultra so worse case is I do the ultra and sign up for the oly and then cannot race in the olympic because I am too tired and I am out $50 or I ask to go to the sprint since it is cheaper they should not mind.   If I sign up for the oly and don't race the 50miler the olympic should be no problem.  I really want to do a wetsuit race since I have mine (at least once) and that is why I am leaning towards the race at all.

Let me know what you all think.

2007-10-31 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1032060

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-10-31 3:49 PM

How does this sound? The only thing that worries me is the race in April. The entry fee is cheaper through 11/30 so I will definately sign up by then if I decide to race. Chances are 50/50 that I will even go through with the ultra so worse case is I do the ultra and sign up for the oly and then cannot race in the olympic because I am too tired and I am out $50 or I ask to go to the sprint since it is cheaper they should not mind. If I sign up for the oly and don't race the 50miler the olympic should be no problem. I really want to do a wetsuit race since I have mine (at least once) and that is why I am leaning towards the race at all.

Let me know what you all think.

The Grasslands 50 miler tore me up pretty good this year.  The sand was really, really tough on my ankles, but I also have flat feet which affects my ankles too.   The training is equally tough as you should probably try to do some doubles on the weekend (i.e., run long on both Sat and Sun).  I did one long weekend of 11,29,10 for a total of about 50 miles in 3 days.  Brutal, but important I think. 

What I'm trying to say is that you obviously won't be in peak condition for the PlayTri OLY just 2-3 weeks after a 50 miler!  You won't be able to get in any fast bike work or run intervals b/c you'll be running long most of the time.   Plus, you might not be fully recovered in 2 weeks.  (Although, you do recover faster after trail runs as opposed to road runs). However, you can still do the OLY just for fun as long as you're not expecting to post an awesome time. 

2007-10-31 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Definately won't be going for time at either race.  I am actually more worried about my knees than anything.  They are a little sore now but I am hoping that the HR training will slow me down which seems to help.  Definately will be doing back to back long days if I go for it.  Luckily I can do that while the family is sleeping so that helps.  Cycling is usually what gets me in trouble not swimming or running.

We will see what happens.  Chances are I will not do one of the two races though.

2007-11-01 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Superdudes! I'm taking a break from my pitiful run this morning to have a little pep talk with myself. Today I need to do 14. Because.......I signed up for a full marathon in Arizona January 13. The PF Chang Rock-n-Roll mary. 70 bands...one every half a mile or less. Right up my alley!! They even have Reggae and Indie rock. Soooooo....I have a lot of work to do in the next 9 weeks. I figure add a mile a week to my long run, go for 20-25 miles per week. And the bike and swim will just have to take a back burner for a bit. The run is my nemesis...I never ran a whole mile in my life until last February. When I did my first little indoor tri last March it was a 2 mile treadmill run and I hung on for dear life, all red in the face and panting so hard the lady nearly made me stop because I looked like a cardiac arrest in progress....and that was a whopping 24 minute run! Last Sunday I did 11 twelve minute or less miles and stopped to walk a lot, drink and talk with the older dude who kept me distracted. That is progress! I don't want to lose that progress...so I elected to push myself to do the one thing in life I never truly thought I ever could accomplish...a marathon! There---pep talk over, Pene--go get your azz back on the treadmill and then outside on the track and then do your hill route so you don't get bored. Variety is the spice.....

What challenges are you all up for these days?

2007-11-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1033053

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-11-01 9:55 AM Hey Superdudes! I'm taking a break from my pitiful run this morning to have a little pep talk with myself. Today I need to do 14. Because.......I signed up for a full marathon in Arizona January 13. The PF Chang Rock-n-Roll mary. 

Wow, Pene.  That's awesome that you're going to do a marathon.  I came fairly close to signing up for that very marathon, but I think I'm going to do the Austin Marathon a month later instead.  My parents live in Austin so I'll have a free place to stay.  

Adding a mile/week to your long run sounds perfect, but be sure to try to run a fair amount of shorter runs during the week including one "medium" run that will probably build up to about 7-8 miles.  

2007-11-11 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Today I ran 10 miles for the first time. I'm tired.
2007-11-11 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Good Job!! Now do 11 next week! One success builds upon another! {she says whimping out on her long run this week doing 11.5 when I was slated to do 15! } But I did a long swim yesterday and my breathing and endurance has never been better, so I think all the stupid running I am attempting to do is actually helping my overall conditioning. Finally!
2007-11-11 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1047790

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-11-11 12:31 PM Today I ran 10 miles for the first time. I'm tired.

Great job Johnny.  You're going to do well at the WR Half.  

All,

FWIW, I'm finally logging.  I know it's little late, but better late than never, huh!?

2007-11-20 10:24 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
The Precious is here!

2007-11-20 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
{sound of a long appreciative whistle}

too kewl!!

so where is the pic of you and your hottie luv making out on the hood of said Precious????

(well you have to cristen her, right?)

Yes, I'm still alive.

No I'm not running much these days....sinus infection....fell in love (again) except this time it's reciprocated....actually cleaned my house, had company over, and cooked!!! OMG Phoenix is almost living a NORMAL life??? I'll get back on it, don't worry. Josh is coming with me to Arizona So I have to follow through now with training or I'll severely embarrass myself!

Whatcha all up to?
2007-11-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1063414

User image

Pro
Texas
phoenixrising404 - 2007-11-20 10:38 PM

{sound of a long appreciative whistle}

too kewl!!

so where is the pic of you and your hottie luv making out on the hood of said Precious????

(well you have to cristen her, right?)

I like the way you think.
2007-11-27 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

I am doing a 5K this weekend. Anyone else racing?  Hoping to PR my 5K and then go hang at David's and watch Kona.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36