2007-05-15 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: David Gillen's Group - FULL

USERNAME: dgillen
NAME: David Gillen
STORY:
I started running in early 1997 when I'd have to run a minute then walk a minute. By 1998, I ran my first marathon. I ran another in 2001 as a clydesdale, weighing in at 252 lbs. I'm 6' 2". Then in 2002, I took control of my eating habits, continued running, and lost about 50 lbs in 9 months. In 2004, I did my first sprint triathlon and I've been hooked ever since. In 2005, I worked my way up to the half-ironman distance. In 2006, I became an Ironman (Redman) and set a personal record at ALL the standardized distances (OLY, HIM, IM, 5K, 10K, HM, FM)!! Through triathlon I've been able to maintain my weight at about 180 lbs for 2 years now.

The past few years I've read a lot about triathlon training. I searched the internet for every article I could find about training, nutrition, pacing, and racing. Through personal study and experience, I consider myself well versed in heart rate zone training and endurance nutrition, especially hydration. Besides helping you in these areas, I think I can:

1. Offer you tips and advice by analyzing your training logs
2. Refer you to some of the best research/articles I've found on the web.
3. Help you plan the rest of your 2007 season
4. Help you think long term
5. Perhaps train or race with you if you're in the DFW metroplex

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 attention craving dogs
CURRENT TRAINING:
I train technically in the sense that use my Polar S625X to monitor my HR, speed, and distance while running and riding. However, I've never strictly followed a BT or any other training plan. I basically feel that I have enough experience and I understand the basic periodization principles well enough to create and follow my own training guidelines. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I'm getting better. I love trail running and long bike rides. I love pushing my limits. For me, triathlon is all about the challenge.
LAST YEAR'S RACES:
Besides the obvious highlight of becoming an Ironman, some of my other race highlights were setting a 22 minute OLY PR at CapTexTri, beating my stand-alone marathon PR at the end of an Ironman, and beating my half-marathon PR by 11 minutes at the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon.
2007 RACES: Cross Timbers Trail Marathon (done), Grasslands 50 mile ultra (done), Flower Mound RunBiTri Sprint, Escape From Alcatraz, Disco Olympic, Timberman HIM, maybe Longhorn HIM.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently trying to lower my body fat percentage, more than my weight. But see the above comments about my historical weight loss.

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-17 1:57 PM

2007-05-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Somerset, England
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - OPEN
David,

I've been 'surfing' the BT site for the last week or so and came across your thread and am interested in the mentor scheme. I have literally just started to consider starting Tri after completing my first marathon in London this year. I have been running for over 2 years and have focussed on this area almost in isolation. I have had trouble with overuse injuries and this is the real reason that I have now looked at Tri to add variety and hopefully injury proof myself to a greater degree.

For the rest of the season I am looking to complete a Duathlon initially as my swimming is really poor with a view to improve this area over the winter for an early spring Tri. Also, for this year, I want to break 1:30 for a Half Marathon (PB 1:35). I am also very scientific in my approach and use a HR monitor but could benefit from a more targetted approach. For all my training I have used online accessed programmes and this seemed to work well, especially for the Marathon (3:43). I could also use some advice on building the cycling base and on the way the HR monitor should be used to optimise this training.

Am I the kind of person that you are looking to assist? If not, no worries. If so, for background I am based in England (might make joint training interesting!), am 35 years old, weigh 140lbs, am 5'6'' and currently train between 4-6 days a week albeit at a relatively low intensity due to recovering from a hip injury that should be okay to re-start running in a week or 2. Why do I train? Because I enjoy the challenge and also the tremendous sense of achievement I get from attempting things I didn't think I could do and succeeding.

If you need more to make up your mind let me know and I look forward to reading your views.

Cheers

Mike
2007-05-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: #801422

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I'd love to help you out anyway I can. Welcome aboard!

I too came to multi-sport thru a desire to add variety and minimize my risk of injury. I have really bad flat feet and after training for my 3rd marathon back in 2004, my ankles were killing me. My wife and I bought bikes to reduce the pounding of running and the rest is history!

I should be able to give you some good advice and guidance on how to build a cycling base. Additionally, I hopefully can help you maximize your use of your HR monitor.

To get started, can you please answer a couple of questions:

1) If you have a duathlon already picked out, what is the date and length? If not, what length duathlon are you considering?
2) Also, do you have a target race date for breaking your 1:30 in a HM?
2) Can you give me the URL address of any online training programs you've followed?

Thanks and I look forward to working with you,

David

2007-05-15 2:14 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Dave,

Thanks for the swift reply. In answering your questions....

1. I hope to take part in the London Duathlon 09 Sep 07. The distances are 10 K Run - 20 K Bike - 5 K Run.

2. I have tried to attach the marathon schedulem (MS Word Doc) I followed for this year... hopefully you can access it as the http link won't work as you need to be a subscriber to Runners World mag. If you are a subscriber already (?) its the 3:30 sched.

3. As for a half marathon, I don't have a specific event in mind but am looking at the beginning/end of October after the Duathlon.

My main focus at the minute is to fully recover from the hip injury picked up on the run in to the marathon. As a result I am focussing on the bike element and making a start on the swimming but find this is a mega tough workout. Once the injury is fully healed (physio reckons it won't take long) then I should be able to pick up running again albeit from a low intensity starting point to build up again.

Thanks for offering to help - much appreciated and look forward to exchange ideas/progress over coming weeks.

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments
----------------
Marathin Sched.doc (38KB - 90 downloads)
2007-05-16 8:16 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Hi David,

I have just recently decided to tri, I was hoping that the mentoring program would open back up. I am in the early stages of the learing curve. I come from a running background. I am using the sprint tri program on BT. I hope to do a Sprint Tri in the fall somewhere in the DFW area, or maybe Austin ( I like road trips).
I would really like to join your group, as I certainly need direction and information.

Thanks
Dave.
2007-05-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #802367

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Dave,

Thanks for posting.  Welcome to my group.  

Triathlon has really gotten a lot more popular in DFW area over the past few years.  During the spring and fall in particular, you almost have a race every weekend!  It's great.  Austin is getting more races too.  I grew up there, and I might be doing a race or 2 there this year.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your running background?  Have you done a lot of races?  If so, what's your preferred distance?  Also, can you please let me know if there are areas of triathlon training where you'd like the most help?

Thanks,

David 

2007-05-16 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Hey David, I noticed the DA jersey in your avatar. Are you out at many of their training events?
2007-05-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #802750

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Jonathan, 

I don't make it to as many Dallas Athletes (DA) workouts as I'd like.   I try to make it to their Wed evening ride from Standbridge stadium, but a lot of times I can't make it due to time constraints or different workout scheduling.

Since I'm not doing an IM this year, I might have a little more time for these group workouts though.  So, hopefully, I'll make it to more of them this year. 

Which ones do you go to? 

2007-05-16 1:07 PM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Hey David,

I have done a couple of marys and some halfs some runs at the shorter distances. I like the idea of the marathon distance, but my body likes the half a lot more.

As far as needing the most assistance, I think probably the bike. I picked up a bike at a sale recently. An old Miyata (who knows how old) it seems to be in pretty good shape. I am in the midst of replacing tires, tubes etc. It has a slight wobble in the rear wheel. I may look into a used one from a bike store if I find one. I just don't have the bucks for a new one.

Swimming, I just started swimming again. I have kind of looked at the TI books for advice on how to advance and train swimming wise---any thoughts on TI?

Thanks
Dave.
2007-05-16 1:13 PM

Veteran
Hi David

My name is Tim George and I would like to join your group if you don't mind. I am in the US Air Force currently stationed in Germany; however, I am moving to San Antonio in November of this year. I ran my first marathon in Zurich Switzerland on 01 Apr in 4:14:23 and now I have decided to try something a little different. It took a little while to get over the pains associated with the marathon but now I am in full swing and loving the training.

I have come pretty far with my swim in that I can now comfortably swim 1500 meters non-stop (big improvement from gasping for air every 50 meters 45 days ago). I just bought a used road bike off of Marvarnett and am currently having a bike shop put it together for me. I have been avoiding my mountain bike and so most of my bike training has been indoors.

I have signed up for three events for the year; an olympic in July, a 70.3 in September, and another marathon in October.

Tim
2007-05-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: #801422

Veteran
Hi Mike,

I'm an American stationed in Germany but my Mom is British and all my family still lives there. Great job on your marathon this year, I was wanting to do London but it was just too much of a pain to register for it. How did you like the course, I am thinking about trying to time my next visit right so I can do the race while I'm there.

Thanks

Tim

2007-05-16 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
I'm usually only at the Wed ride, but I won't be able to make it for the next couple weeks due to work.
2007-05-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: #803047

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Tim,

Thanks for joining my group.  Congrats on your finishing your first marathon, and I know what you mean about getting over the pains.  Marathon training is tougher than triathlon training in a lot of ways.  Also, great job with the swimming.  1500 meters non-stop is awesome.  It took me longer than 45 days to reach that level. 

If this is your first year in triathlon, it sounds like you have quite an aggressive race schedule this year with an OLY and HIM on the calendar!   We'll probably have to be careful that you don't start "over-training".  I can help you with this.

As I've asked the others, what areas of triathlon training can I try help you with?  In other words,  besides general advice, what are you hoping to get out of this mentoring program?

David 

2007-05-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: #803136

Veteran
There are a couple of things that I need help with such as:

1 - What's up with drills for swimming, these make no sense to me? I have a hard enough time trying to count laps normally much less 25 of this and 4 of that with 3 of these thrown in after every 7th of these. Everyone does them and so there has to be a reason, but I am obvious clueless on why and how to do it properly.

2 - All things bike related. I know this is too general to really be a question, but I need a lot of help in this area. I was on a run one morning a few months back and saw a couple "real" cyclists sitting on a bench next to their bikes eating pastries, drinking coffee, and smoking. Ever since then I kinda lost respect for the sport but I'm sure they don't represent the types of folks here and so I need to get spun up on how to train on the bike (minus the coffee and smoking).

3 - Triathlon etiquette. How do the little things work, are there any unwritten rules or standard practices that a newbie is unlikely to know?

Thanks and I look forward to "getting to know you" over the next couple of months.
2007-05-16 2:28 PM
in reply to: #803177

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Timo - 2007-05-16 2:06 PM There are a couple of things that I need help with such as: 1 - What's up with drills for swimming, these make no sense to me? I have a hard enough time trying to count laps normally much less 25 of this and 4 of that with 3 of these thrown in after every 7th of these. Everyone does them and so there has to be a reason, but I am obvious clueless on why and how to do it properly.

I'll admit right off the bat that I'm not a strong swimmer, and any advice I give should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I too have worked my way up to from barely being able to finish 50m without dying to the 2.4 open water swims of the IM distance.

Since swimming is so much more technique oriented that biking or running, there is a lot to remember with every stroke. And I think the whole idea of drills (as you probably know) is to isolate one area to focus on so that all the other things don't distract you. However, I totally know what you mean about "not getting" drills? I can't do a lot of them very well myself, but do think they're important and thus maybe all of us (including me) in this group can learn more about them together. More coming soon...

2 - All things bike related. I know this is too general to really be a question, but I need a lot of help in this area. I was on a run one morning a few months back and saw a couple "real" cyclists sitting on a bench next to their bikes eating pastries, drinking coffee, and smoking. Ever since then I kinda lost respect for the sport but I'm sure they don't represent the types of folks here and so I need to get spun up on how to train on the bike (minus the coffee and smoking).

I agree that most triathletes are too health conscience to smoke, but I do love the occasional pastry! I should be able to help you with most things bike related as this the one area I really focused on last year, putting in more than 4500 miles.

3 - Triathlon etiquette. How do the little things work, are there any unwritten rules or standard practices that a newbie is unlikely to know? Thanks and I look forward to "getting to know you" over the next couple of months.

I'll definitely be able to help you here too as there will be some tips/trick/etiquette issues that you'll have know way of knowing until you do a few races.

Looking forward to it...

David

2007-05-16 2:42 PM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
David and all:

I too need some etiquette training. I know probably just enough to get me into real trouble. Bike etiquette for sure. I have also read some real horror stories about the open water swim "fun" too. Thanks in advance for the help. And also in advance, sorry for the dumb questions.

2007-05-16 3:17 PM

Regular
Indiana
David,
I would like to join your group. I just finished my first half marathon and my first tri is this weekend. My goal is just to finish. I could use help in all the fields. I have not logged any workouts on line but have them all in a book. I will try and get up to date on line as time permits. More about me and my training later.
Thanks
Kevin
2007-05-16 3:28 PM
in reply to: #803356

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Welcome Kevin!

Congrats on the half-marathon.  I read your race report.  It must have been really neat to run around the Indy 500 speedway.  I hope to do that HM some day!

Can you tell me a little bit more (can be brief) about your training thus far?  Also, can you tell me about your triathlon this weekend?  What are the distances?  Is in an OWS? (Open Water Swim

I could start in on all kinds of advice for you for you first, but do me favor:  Ask me some questions or tell me some of your concerns.  No question is stupid.  This could be a great start for some of my etiquette and racing tips.  If you have a question, others in this group will probably have the same one.   So ask away!

David 

2007-05-16 3:36 PM
in reply to: #803064

User image

Somerset, England
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the positive remarks ref the London Marathon and I would highly recommend it. It was a fantastic experience to be part of such a massive event. The organisation was faultless despite the 36000 field and the service you got as a runner made us all feel like international athletes. As for the course, I guess its the same for any big city marathon in that it was great to run around such iconic sites without the hassle of traffic. The crowd were awesome and worth at least 6 miles in the tank. All in all a magnificent day and would really recommend it if you can bend your training/racing schedule to be in England at the time. As an aside I am serving in the Royal Navy here in England although due to stationed on one of our ships in late August. I hope this won't affect the training too much as facitilties onboard are not to bad.

Good luck with your training and congrats as well for completing your first marathon.

Cheers for now,

Mike

P.s. Sorry to Dave for hijacking the thread for a couple of messages......
2007-05-16 3:42 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Dave,

The others have also highlighted some areas that would be of interest to me as well. Etiquette and swimming advice would be very welcome in due course. Believe me when I say that the 50m swim feeling like swimming the Atlantic is exactly where I am and any advice at all on technique would be welcome. I think that progress in line with Tim's is well beyond me but building strength slowly will be the only way as I have neglected the upper body in my marathon training.

Mike
2007-05-16 3:42 PM

Regular
Indiana
David,
My triathlon is this Saturday in Terre Haute, IN. .5 mile OWS, 24 mile bike, 5 mile run. My plan is 25 min swim, 1.5 hour bike and 40 min run. My only concern is the swim, I will have a wetsuit so that will help. I took it to the pool on tuesday just so I would know how it feels. It will be tough to do the breaststroke with the wetsuit. So any thoughts/advice for the wetsuit swim will help. I will list more info about me tomorrow as I am running short on time. I look forward to your help.

P.S. - It was cool running around the track, everyone was telling me before the race that the track was the worst part. As I was running through the tunnel to the track the adrenaline was pumping and the run around the track was easy, out of the track and you hit mile nine and at that point the adrenaline was gone and I switched to survival mode. But it was fun, I finished, and I will definately sign up for next year.

2007-05-16 5:49 PM

Connecticut
If there is room, I would like to be in your group. I am a first timer, 33 yo, maried father of two who just recently started training for a sprint tri in sept. More on me later. Hopefully there is room, I could use some direction in my training!!
2007-05-16 7:05 PM

User image

New user
Hey David, I was just curious if I could join your group. I'm signed up for Ironman Wisconsin in September and could use all the help I can get. I've noticed you already have a few people, so I just thought I would see if it was possible for you to take on another.

MT
2007-05-16 7:15 PM

Regular
Indiana
More information about me. 41 YO, 175 lbs. Married with 4 kids. I started weight training to lose weight January 2003, was 230 lbs. Started running March 2005. Started triathlon training March 2007 (My training log is now on line). Nutrition was in check from 2003 until 2005. I still watch what I eat but am not as restrictive as I used to be. I have ran several 5K's and one 1/2 marathon. As I stated earlier my first tri is this Saturday, from there I would like to start training for a HIM in 2008 and do 2-3 more sprint/oly tri's this year. My training has suffered the last couple of weeks due to recovery from the 1/2 marathon.
2007-05-16 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
A little of my background: I started training for a duathlon in December of '05 and did my first duathlon in April '06. Since then I've done a few sprint tris, another duathlon, and the 8 mile route at the Turkey Trot. I do about a 2:00/100m swim, about a 26min 5k, and on the Wednesday rides I stick with the intermediate group and average anywhere from 18-20 mph depending on the ride.

David, let me be plain. Right now my motivation to train is at an all-time low. My girlfriend thinks it's due to me stressing out about the upcoming oly in Austin(CapTex, my first oly) plus the new job I started and I think she's probably onto something. The end result is that training is a whip these days, I'm not enjoying it like I used to(mainly the swimming, I still like riding & running). I'm interested in the mentor group, but I don't want to take up a valuable spot someone else could occupy if you don't want to deal with trying to motivate me. So I'll leave the decision up to you: would you rather spend your time & energy on someone else who's more amped to train or do you want to take me on as a challenge? Either way is perfectly fine by me, and I won't be offended if you say you'd rather take someone else. This is your time and I want you to make the decision that's best for you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36