BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-06-25 9:18 PM
in reply to: #859957

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Subject: RE: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed
I've never been there, but I hear it is wonderful. There is a group here in Fort Worth(12) that signed up today. 8 of them have done an Ironman before, and the ones that have done Coeur D'Alene, say it is the best. I don't know if I'm over my head or not, but I like a good challenge, so it should be fun. My kids are still pretty young, so I better do it now before they get involved in every activity under the sun.

2007-06-26 5:19 PM
in reply to: #801902

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Oh man! I've missed so much! I need a computer at home!! Argh.
Drew. I'm sorry to hear about you latest decision. You sound really bummed about it, but whatever you need to do, you need to do.

And Derek! WOW! You go!! I couldn't do it! Heh. I'm currently trying to get my race day changed from this weekend to August 25th. It means 2 triathlons one weekend after the other. I just don't feel I am ready enough for Saturday. Wish me luck.

I just got back from 2 hours of kayaking! What a blast it was. 1st time I've done that since I was a teenager. My shoulders are aching as are my legs from gripping the kayak to stay afloat. I had my camera with me and I didn't want to tip in. I obviously need more paddling practice! Oh my. I think I'm burned too. Factor 50 I had on! Sheesh.

Another thing. I found a complete bargain today! I am totally in love with TYR's reversible swimsuits and lo and behold BIG5 sports are selling them for $30!!!!!!!! Half price!!!! Ok. I am babbling now. See you all soon!
2007-06-27 9:42 PM
in reply to: #859481

User image

Brookfield
You are my idol!!!!! We're not worthy, we're not worthy!
2007-06-27 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
2 hours in the kayak eh?  That's quite a bit of time.  Wait until tomorrow!  The best aching is yet to come.  Where were you kayaking?
2007-06-27 11:01 PM

User image

Pearland, TX

An IM, huh?  I'm so impressed!  I can't even imagine doing that.  It will be fun to watch you go through this process.  The whole thing sounds a bit overwhelming, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach this with your training group.  I was traveling last weekend & I'm in St. Louis all week on business, so I'm behind on blogging & checking blogs.  Apologies to all of you.  I hope to be back on track next week.  Welcome back, Lynne!

2007-06-28 1:21 AM
in reply to: #863764

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Drewwhite - 2007-06-27 7:47 PM

2 hours in the kayak eh? That's quite a bit of time. Wait until tomorrow! The best aching is yet to come. Where were you kayaking?

I went swimming with a friend later that day in the lake. I think it helped. I was kayaking down by Renton Airport, where the Cedar river flows into the Lake. It was gorgeous. My pictures are too big to add here but I'm going to put them in my album if anyone wants to take a peek

I am not doing my sprint tri this weekend. I managed to get my registration transfered to another tri ran by the same people. My next one is going to be Danskin on August 19th, then Lake Sammamish on August 25th. So one weekend after the other. *gulp*. I really have done something to my knee so it's probably for the best.

I can imagine an IM either. Even a 1/2 IM. Gasp. How do people find the stamina for that? I'm in awe.

Edited by ScotinSeattle 2007-06-28 1:24 AM

2007-06-28 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jamie, we'll forgive you this time .  Lynne, you're making me homesick!  I keep telling myself "just three more years before I go back to Seattle permanently."  I think that you made a good decision on the race.  If you're not feeling good about it, there's no need to rush yourself into a race.  Obviously, we're never going to feel perfectly ready for races, but it seems like you had some legit concerns and made a wise decision.
2007-06-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: #863887

User image

Extreme Veteran
By the way, my favorite race venue ever is Lake Sammamish.  I ran a cross-country race there every year in high school.  That's the first place that I ran a sub 16' 5k.
2007-06-28 9:55 PM
in reply to: #865396

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
OK everyone, I've been in business meetings this week, and headed to Florida for a family vacation on Friday, so I'll check in every once in awhile, but I probably won't get much training in. I hope everyone has a good weekend, and go Cubbies!!!
2007-07-01 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I hope that everyone had a great June.  My June was fine, considering the twist the my training future took!  I spent Friday and Saturday up at Bear Lake at a triathlon that my friends' race management company put on.  I was their run course manager.  It was a lot of fun!  If you're familiar with the authors Richard and Linda Eyre, we stayed at one of their cabin's for the evening.  They're very successful people and own multiple properties up there.  I'm friends with one of their kids, so we were fortunate enough to make a fun little getaway out of it.  I'm fried now though.  The sun was not nice to me!

I just wanted to check in and wish everyone luck in July.

As for my July goals:

Drop weight to 176

Swim twice a week

Bike twice a week

Run no more than once a week  

2007-07-05 5:27 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
I haven't kept any of my goals for June and I'm feeling very behind.  I've got to start swimming more.  OK, I need to start doing everything more, but the swim is still my poorest area.

2007-07-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: #873612

User image

Extreme Veteran

trymoretri - 2007-07-05 4:27 PM I haven't kept any of my goals for June and I'm feeling very behind. I've got to start swimming more. OK, I need to start doing everything more, but the swim is still my poorest area.

I didn't do so hot with my June goals either.  That's the beauty of not being pro though.  We don't have the pressure that they have.  I had to shift my goals in the middle of the month, so I was still training, just not how I had initially intended. 

2007-07-06 10:25 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Goals? Goals!??????? Oh football. Mmmmmm.  Yeah I suck at goals. I have some new ones for July. RUNNING x 3 a week. More bricks also. I'm doing a swim/bike brick today. Now I would run but you know what? Where the hell are my running shoes? Honestly, you get your significant other to clean up and you can't find ANYTHING!

So there it is. Running........think running.  

2007-07-06 7:56 PM
in reply to: #874417

User image

Extreme Veteran
ScotinSeattle - 2007-07-06 9:25 AM

Goals? Goals!??????? Oh football. Mmmmmm. Yeah I suck at goals. I have some new ones for July. RUNNING x 3 a week. More bricks also. I'm doing a swim/bike brick today. Now I would run but you know what? Where the hell are my running shoes? Honestly, you get your significant other to clean up and you can't find ANYTHING!

So there it is. Running........think running.

Well, that's always an excuse to make a trip to Greenlake to Super Jock n' Jills for a new pair of running shoes!  I swear that's my favorite store! 

2007-07-07 1:46 PM
in reply to: #875322

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Goals, I forgot about goals. My vacation is almost over, and we head for home on Sunday. With my busines meeting, and then a week in Florida, I havent done much training so I'll have to start slowleyonce I get home. I had race scheduled for the 15th, but I will probably skip it and just start training for my HIM in September. It has been nice relaxing and sitting by the beach, but I'm ready to get back into my training mode again.
2007-07-09 2:20 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
OK, I've been totally off of my training, so I'm doing the most illogical thing possible.  I'm setting longer distance goals.  (Never claimed to be sensible.)  There's a 50.5 in The Woodlands (North Houston) in November that I THINK I can do.  1ish mi swim, 40ish mi bike & 9ish mile run.  If I pace myself, I know I can do the bike & run slowly.  The swim is still what scares me.  However, this swim is no worse than an Olympic, and I'm signing up for one of those in October.  That said, I've never done an Olympic distance swim in race conditions, and I totally freaked out during my last 1/2 mile open water race and had to sidestroke & backstroke 2/3 of it.  It's so much nicer in the pool where nobody is touching you.!!!  I'm thinking therapy would be more useful than swim training at this point.  I've just got to learn to calm down!

2007-07-09 3:08 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I just found out today that the swim for the Seattle Danskin next month has been change from 880 yards to only 600!!! I am dutifully disappointed now.  On another note. I still cannot find my bloody running shoes. I have no idea where on earth I could have left them. SO needless to say tonight...I am going riding. Pants!!! PANTS!!

Plus the weather here is a complete bonus at the moment. Why it couldn't have been more like this when I was on vacation I don't know!!!

2007-07-09 9:32 PM
in reply to: #877736

User image

Extreme Veteran

trymoretri - 2007-07-09 1:20 PM OK, I've been totally off of my training, so I'm doing the most illogical thing possible. I'm setting longer distance goals. (Never claimed to be sensible.) There's a 50.5 in The Woodlands (North Houston) in November that I THINK I can do. 1ish mi swim, 40ish mi bike & 9ish mile run. If I pace myself, I know I can do the bike & run slowly. The swim is still what scares me. However, this swim is no worse than an Olympic, and I'm signing up for one of those in October. That said, I've never done an Olympic distance swim in race conditions, and I totally freaked out during my last 1/2 mile open water race and had to sidestroke & backstroke 2/3 of it. It's so much nicer in the pool where nobody is touching you.!!! I'm thinking therapy would be more useful than swim training at this point. I've just got to learn to calm down!

I think you could make it through it right now.  After reading your feature on the Toyota Engines of Change page (hot picture, by the way ), I understand your anxiety in the water much better.  I really think that's you're capable of not only finishing, but performing well.  I say full steam ahead!!!

By the way, here's a shameless plug for a team member: if you haven't seen Jamie's feature on the Toyota website, there's a link posted in her logs.  Go check it out, it's way cool.  We've got a definite celeb in our midst, team!

2007-07-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #877846

User image

Extreme Veteran
ScotinSeattle - 2007-07-09 2:08 PM

I just found out today that the swim for the Seattle Danskin next month has been change from 880 yards to only 600!!! I am dutifully disappointed now. On another note. I still cannot find my bloody running shoes. I have no idea where on earth I could have left them. SO needless to say tonight...I am going riding. Pants!!! PANTS!!

Plus the weather here is a complete bonus at the moment. Why it couldn't have been more like this when I was on vacation I don't know!!!

Lynne, two things: 1) I reiterate that you have an awesome opportunity to go to Super Jock 'n Jills for a pair of running shoes now   It's only the best store in the state!

2) Seattle summer days are unbeatable, period.  When the sun shines in Seattle, there's nowhere in the world that's prettier.  I want to be back there right now! 

2007-07-10 10:55 AM

User image

Brookfield
I'm racing on Sunday in Pewaukee Wisconsin, is anybody else racing this weekend? My goal is 1:25:00. If I had a "home" course this would be it. I ran the course yesterday a little hilly. I bike it almost every week although it's backwords from the way I usually go. I have done one OWS there and will do another tonight. This is a crowded race 2000 participants. I don't know how large the waves are yet so I'm a little nervous that I'll panic again in the water. Although I have swam in open water lots since my first race and I have practiced raising my head to spot direction. It just hard to simulate that burst of nervous energy that feels like a punch in the gut the minute you dive in.
2007-07-10 10:56 AM

User image

Pearland, TX

Fine, Lynne.  Rub it in!

TODAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAY
Partly Sunny with Thunder Showers
Temp: 95 F
Hum: 71%
P: 30.02 in
Wind: 9mph SSE

Partly Sunny with Thunder Showers High 90F Low 76F

Partly Sunny with Thunder Showers High 94F Low 76F

Partly Sunny High 93F Low 75F

Intermittent Clouds High 91F Low 73F
Check the Past 24 Hour Conditions
High 91F Low 76F

By South Texas standards, this weekend will be "gorgeous."  It's rained every day for as long as I can remember now.  We've got a family of tadpoles on the sidewalk by our house because the puddles have been there so long.  Of course, as soon as it hits "partly sunny" on Friday, I'm leaving town.  Not all bad, though.  I'm having the first ever "New 30 Girls' Weekend" in New Orleans with a couple of girls I grew up with in Louisiana.  We've been BFF since Jr. High, but live all over the country, and never see each other.  We're celebrating all of us turning 40 by ditching the kids and husbands and flying to New Orleans to re-live our glory days this weekend.  I'm sure the recovery will take longer than in college, but as long as Pat-O's has a piano bar, life is good!  Probably won't train this weekend, though.

2007-07-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: #879058

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Good luck on your race Mike, I was going to race, but had a little incident on the way home from Florida. We stopped off in New Orleans on Sunday, and were going to spend Monday there and head home on Tuesday; but then I had to take my wife to the ER on Monday morning, and she had her gall bladder removed last night. I'm sitting in a hotel right now with my four kids resting and my wife will probably be released tonight, or tomorrow morning. It may take us a little while to get home, but we are looking at all our options.

I haven't done any training in 2 weeks now, but hopefully next week I can get back in the swing.
2007-07-10 2:22 PM

User image

Pearland, TX
OH MY GOSH!  I'll keep your wife & family in my prayers.  What a way to end a vacation!
2007-07-10 2:55 PM
in reply to: #879792

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
At least it happened at the end, so we were able to enjoy a week in Florida. I sure was looking forward to some Cajun food in the quarter though.
2007-07-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: #879779

User image

Brookfield
Geez I hope everything is OK and works out for you guys. How scary!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11