BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-05-15 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed
NAME: Drewwhite / Drew
STORY: I ran competitively in High School. I considered running in college at a few different Universities (mainly Pac-10 schools) before deciding to just pursue my college education. I recently graduated college and am about to enter law school. I now train because I love endurance sports and pushing myself to new limits in my "second fitness life" (I count my high school running PRs as being from a different life because I will never devote enough time to endurance sports to drop to those times again.)
FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for just under two years to the greatest girl in the world! (yes, I'm a bit biased)
CURRENT TRAINING: This year, I am more focused on running and cycling than swimming. I focused on swimming quite a bit last year, but this is the year of the marathon for me!
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I competed in one duathlon, one sprint triathlon, and four olympic distance tris. Olympic distance was by far my favorite distance for the summer and my top time was a bit under 2:30 for the Telos Olympic distance triathlon
2007 RACES: My main race will most likely be the Provo Canyon Trail Marathon. Other than that, I'm spending the summer helping my friends' race production company manage their races. My "races" for the summer will be a series of solo mountain runs as the snow starts melting.
WEIGHTLOSS: Since getting married, I have lost 25 pounds (kind of counterintuitive huh?). I hope to drop another 10-15 pounds, which would put me at my high school race weight.

Edited by Drewwhite 2007-05-18 4:42 PM

2007-05-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: #801902

User image

Brookfield
Subject: RE: Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - OPEN
Drew,

I would like to join your mentoring group.

I'm 36, married and have 3 boys (7, 7 & 4). I played football in High School and Club Rugby in college. In my mid 20's I got on a running kick which lasted a few years. Then came the twins and all my free time was gone. I coach soccer and quite honestly the other dads I met through the soccer club were very active and I felt like a couch potato.

About 6 months ago I bought a treadmill, some dumbells and started working out at home to loose my gut. I'm 5'9, when I started I weighed 190 and I'm now about 175. In February I started swimming at Bally's. Soon after a friend gave me the Total Immersion Book and DVD. About a month later I found this site and on April 25th I statred the 20 Week Balanced Olympic Distance program. I'm trying to keep the weight lifting up twice a week. I was riding a borrowed '82 Bianchi 10 speed but recently upgraded to a Trek 1000. It's made riding much more enjoyable.

I have signed up for 3 Sprint Distance Events this summer - 2 in July and 1 in August. My goal is to run an Olympic Distance Event in September. I'm looking forward to any training tips, racing advice or triathlon knowledge you can share.
2007-05-16 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Hi Drew.

I would like to join your mentor group.

I've been married now for 9 years. No children yet, just a dog and a bird. I love swimming and biking and I was part of a swim team out of school, not competitive however. I really miss that 50 M pool. I also did gymnastics and biked to work everyday in the early 90's.

I'm 30ish lbs overweight but I know that's party due to my bad diet and love of chocolate covered gummy bears, pho and indian food. I'm also an ex smoker too, I quit in January. Disgusting habit, I know. I'm currently doing mostly running Couch to 5k in my training and I have the biking and swimming pretty much down. My last run was 3.1 miles and I did it in 31 minutes. I walked for about 8 minutes of that.

My goal is to complete 3 miles without stopping, lose the 30lbs and get down to a size 10. I also need to fit more strength training in and I recently started yoga too.

I just started getting into Triathlons last year, I even signed up for one but had to drop out due to a back injury. I think you'd be a great inspiration and motivator for me in running. Something that pains me...a LOT! I did my 1st tri in April. All indoors but it got me hooked. I am signed up for another 5, 3 of them outside, one half and half.

Hope I haven't missed anything out. Please feel free to yell at me anytime during the course.

Edited by ScotinSeattle 2007-05-16 6:40 PM
2007-05-16 5:22 PM
in reply to: #802852

User image

Brookfield
Hi Lynne,

I'm looking forward to supporting and inspiring each other. By the way I love chocolate too!
2007-05-16 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's great to have the both of you on board!  I'm excited to have the chance to work with both of you!
2007-05-16 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

By the way, congrats on the breakthrough run Lynne.  Running has always been a love of mine.  I hope I can share the enthusiasm so that you learn to love it.

Mike, the weight loss is excellent!  The weight that I lost represented two years of hard work in Spain eating pastries, so I definitely deserved the weight that I gained.  I sure don't miss it though.  I'm sure that you feel the same way huh?

2007-05-17 8:07 AM

User image

NOVA
Hi Drew,

I was wondering if I could join your group. I'm 22 years old and graduated college in 06 and will be going to get my masters at some point in the next year. I did track and field in highschool, had the option to run in college - but chose not to. I slacked off a lot in college and ddin't run so much but completed a half marathon in May 06 with terrible training. I signed up for another one this year and shaved 30mins off my time as well as a few other races. I am really interested in triathalons and would like to complete an Olympic distances one Sept 9. Seeing how I have no experience in this field I have a ton a questions and could definately use some mentoring and would appreciate any advice given

Thanks,
Jessica
2007-05-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: #803980

User image

Brookfield
Drew,

You're totally right about the weight. I have more energy, my clothes fit and just feel healthy. I actually have a bet going with 2 other guys in my office to see who could loose the most weight by Memorial day. The second part of the bet is to see who can keep it off during the summer. Our first weigh in is in a couple weeks and then again on Labor Day.

Healthy eating is hard work. I have been trying to eat at least 180 grams (or 720 calories) of protein a day. I limited my calories to about 2000 a day. Do you Drew, or anyone else, follow a specific nutrition plan while training?
2007-05-17 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Hi Drew, I would like to join the group.

I grew up playing sports as a kid and got through college on a basketball scholorship. Joined the Marine corps out of college, where I learned to enjoy endurance training. Ran a couple of marathons back in 95-96, then started having kids.

I am now 40 years old and have four kids(Boys 8 and 15mo. and girls 7 and 4. The 2 girls are adopted from China) I have been out of shape for the last 8 years, so I decided to get back in shape before I get too old. I was watching the Ford Ironman Championships back in December, and told myself that I was going to do that someday!!

I started training in December and have lost 38lbs so far and want to lose about 10 more and get down to 178.

I did 2 duathlons this year and finished my first triathlon just a few weeks ago. It was a pool swim sprint and now I'm looking at doing some more this spring and summer.

6-10, Metroplex Sprint
7-15, Ironhead Oly.
8-12, WoolCapital Oly
9-9, Prairieman HIM
6-08 IMCDA

Thanks

Derek

Edited by tri-golfer 2007-05-17 12:50 PM
2007-05-17 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Jessica and Derek!  I will write more when I get home from work, but I just wanted to check in and say hi and welcome to the team!
2007-05-17 3:09 PM

User image

NOVA

Thanks Drew,

I'm going to start in with my first question - As I stated before, swimming will be my weakest leg by far.  I have been looking into options for places to practice and possibly join a club.  If you could give me your opinion on which options seems best, I would really appreciate it.

Option 1 - Reston Community Center
3-month pass - $162; open 6am-9pm/7pm Tues and Thurs
The director said it's usually pretty full before and after work
no coach
can swim whenever I want permitting there would be a lane open
Option 2 - Reston Masters Swim Club
USMS fee - $40; $130 per quarter (prorated when you come in) 2 free workouts before paying
Tues/Thurs practice - 7-8:30, Sat 7-8 or 8-9am, Sun 7-8pm
closer to work, but in the middle of the night so kind of inconvenient and far from my house (I could run, bike or lift weights beforehand-just worried that I might get too tired)
can't swim whenever I want - would have to go to the practices
Option 3 - Fairfax Masters Swim Club
USMS fee - $32; 3-month umlimited - $150 or 20 workouts - $100
M-Th 8-9pm practice, Sat 8-9am practice
can't swim whenever I want - would have to go to the practices
closer to my house, but later at night
Option 4 - Reston YMCA
Program membership - $55; $145 for the club
MWF practice 5:30-6:30am for 8 weeks; starts June 25
Closer to work and in the am so it wouldn't mess with my time after work, but I would have to get up crazy early.
Most expensive
Only for 2 months and I don't think I can use the pool otherwise (but will have to check)
I found a 0-1650m swim training schedule that I might be able to do on my own, but as one friend who used to swim competitively - it is nice to have a coach critique and help with technique and breathing and whatever else has to do with swimiming.  I would definately rather get up in the am and go before work or right after work instead of waiting till later at night, but my 2nd option seems to be the best one. 
Thoughts? -sorry this was such a long post.

2007-05-17 4:00 PM
in reply to: #805365

User image

Brookfield
jeslin,

A friend let me borrow a book called Total Immersion Swimming. I also bought a DVD by the same people called Freestyle Made Easy. They both helped me out tremendously. The focus of TI is on swimming more efficiently rather than harder. It teaches you how to position your body in the water, how to use midesction for propolsion rather than arms and legs and most important how to breathe.

Before reading TI I could only do 25 meters without stopping and the whole time I was worried about drowning. Now I can make it 400 meters before I have to rest, I don't feel like I'm drowning and I enjoy being in the water.

As for where to swim. I swim at a Bally's Health Club during lunch. It's close by my office and the price is right. I was surprised by how helpful some of the other swimmers had been. The pool only has 4 lanes so sometimes I have to wait.

I pasted to link in Amazon for the Total Immersion stuff I mentioned. Good Luck with your decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/d...

http://www.amazon.com/Freestyle-Made-Easy-Terry-Laughlin/dp/B000FDK...

"The water is your friend...you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move." -Alexander Popov Olympic Gold Medalist

2007-05-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: #804518

User image

Brookfield
tri-golfer,

38 lbs?? That's awesome! Please share with us how you did it! I would also like to drop 10 more to be at my ideal weight.

I have been eating massive amounts of Tuna, Chicken, Egg Whites and Cottage Cheese. I swear the tuna has helped with my swimming! LOL.
2007-05-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #804335

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mike_in_WI - 2007-05-17 7:58 AM  Healthy eating is hard work. I have been trying to eat at least 180 grams (or 720 calories) of protein a day. I limited my calories to about 2000 a day. Do you Drew, or anyone else, follow a specific nutrition plan while training?

Great idea to have a little competition with your friends.  That's always a great was to keep up the motivation.  I personally don't follow a specific nutrition plan.  I just try to watch what I eat (i.e. eat the healthy crap), and I am very vigilant in eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day rather than 3 larger meals.   I have found that following the food pyramid has been the trick for me.

2007-05-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: #805365

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jessica,

That's a really good question.  I think that the most important thing is to spend as much quality time in the pool as possible without tiring your muscles too much or burning out of the pool time.  Lots of people on this site have had similar success stories to Mike with Total Immersion Swimming.  That might be something to look into purchasing.

I'll share you a little story about Drew.  I am very athletic.  I have always picked up sports very quickly.  However, when I tried to pick up swimming, I was horrible.  I spent over a year in the pool 3-4 times a week on top of running trying to learn how to swim.  One day, I finally had a breakthrough and went from swimming 250m without resting to swimming 1200m straight.  The next time in the water I did a mile straight.  I have swam up to 3600m without stopping.  It just takes time in the water and focus on developing good form.  If you feel that you accomplish that without a coach or a team, go for it!  I never had a coach, which is probably why it took me so long.  I was just stubborn and wanted to do it "on my own"  In actuality, I was always speaking with others in the pool to get tips and watching them swim to mimic their motions.

I guess my answer to your question is, figure out what your priorities are (save money, have a coach, swim with others, location, schedule, etc...) and then evaluate the options and pick your best option.  I think that all of them are great options. 

2007-05-17 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Mike,

The biggest reason for the weight loss was portion control and cutting out Dr. Pepper. I love to eat(Tex-mex and BBQ) and I still eat what I want, just in much smaller portions. I have also cut out all soda's that have sugar. I drink water, milk, coffee and green tea. I think my workouts helped also. I went from zero exercise to working out 4-7 hours a week, with a lot of endurance exercise keeping my heart rate down. I'm still in the learning phases, but still trying to ge these last few pounds off.

Also I no longer take my blood pressure or cholesterol meds, and my BP and bloodwork is the best its been in 10 years.

2007-05-17 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Jessica,

I found that if you get to the pool enough you will find others that are doing triathlons also. When I first started swimming I was thinking of getting a coach, but I kept finding other more experienced triathlete's at the pool, that were always ready to help and give a few tips. I've already met 4-5 Ironman triathletes that were more than willing to help me out and give encouragement. I hope this helps you make decision.

Derek

Edited by tri-golfer 2007-05-17 7:00 PM
2007-05-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #805643

User image

Extreme Veteran

tri-golfer - 2007-05-17 4:37 PM Jessica, I found that if you get to the pool enough you will find others that are doing triathlons also. When I first started swimming I was thinking of getting a coach, but I kept finding other more experienced triathlete's at the pool, that were always ready to help and give a few tips. I've already met 4-5 Ironman triathletes that were more than willing to help me out and give encouragement. I hope this helps you make decision. Derek

I have had a similar experience as Derek.  There's one specific guy that I share a lane with on occasion that swam in college.  He's 55 now but still swims circles around me. 

My priority in choosing a gym/club would be availability of the pool.  I'm a member of 24 Hour Fitness, which gives me constant access to the pool.

2007-05-17 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok, time to get down to business...

First, make sure to add each of the group members to your "Other Blogs" list.  This is a good way to track each other's progress as we prepare for our races.

Second, use the BT training log so that we can see how you're doing.  It's also a great way to motivate yourself.  I like to look back to see what my training was like in the past to see how I am progressing.

Finally, let me know what you specifically want to get out of this mentoring group.  You can do it on the board or via a personal message.  I just want to know how I can best help you guys achieve your goals this summer.

Thanks!

2007-05-18 8:18 AM

User image

NOVA

Thank you all for your advice.  I am going to purchase the TI book and hope that helps me.  I have been reading the Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel and that has helped me understand triathalons a bit more.  As far as my decision goes, I have taken all of your advice and decided which things are most important.  I think that I could over time teach myself to swim, maybe not well -but decent.  I think that I could benefit from a coach and others who are in the"same boat" as me.  I am a little on the shy side and pretty stubborn at times when it comes to asking for help.  So I'm not sure how much I would ask for advice from other random swimmers - something I am continually trying to work on.  While I like the flexability of the first option, the 3-month pass does not last the course of my training.  And while I hate the time for the second option, it's cheaper and comes with a coach.  So before I make my final decision I am going to go to a practice and talk to a coach.  I figure I can get a short run, or bike, or even a little bit of lifting in before I would go to a practice during the week -I'm just worried about tiring myself beforehand.

I'll keep you posted!

2007-05-18 9:29 AM
in reply to: #805803

User image

Brookfield
How do you get your picture to load next to your posts? I think I have added everyone to my Training Blog.

2007-05-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: #806259

User image

NOVA

in the control panel, you can download your picture on the bottom left side. 

...I'm working on the training blogs

2007-05-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #806259

User image

Brookfield
Figured it out!
2007-05-18 10:57 AM

User image

Pearland, TX
Are y'all still taking new members? I just joined BT and am enjoying getting involved. I've been training with a group by me in Texas, but we're breaking up after the Tri this Sunday, and I need to stay motivated. I'm turning 40 this year, so I just moved into the "Masters" category, which has really pushed me to get better. (I'm not one for aging gracefully -- I'm kicking & screaming the whole way!) I have two kids -- ages 10 & almost 5. Supportive husband who I finally dragged on the MS150 this year, but he's otherwise not into anything aerobic. I've got a great big mutt who also doesn't run more than a few yards. I was always the last kid picked for any sports team growing up, and I flunked the president's physical fitness test in high school because I couldn't run a mile in 12 minutes. I bought a bike in college and fell in love with it. I started running because I needed a cycling partner, and a runner I knew needed a running partner, so we helped each other out. I got into tri's in 1999 with the Danskin. It was a huge turning point for me in self-perception. However, I side-stroked every triathlon I tried until last year. Then I got coached in Total Immersion. It was like learning how to walk all over again. It still took a lot of practice, but like Drew, I kind of had a breakthrough one day. I went from sucking wind and splitting headaches after 300 meters to swimming a mile or more without much effort. I almost cried, I was so happy to finally feel like I "got it!" However, I'm still MUCH slower than I want to be. I also downright stink at transitions, so all tips are welcome.
2007-05-18 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Jamie, welcome to the group, what part of Texas are in? I'm just south of Fort Worth. Great job with the TI swimming. I've been swimming for almost 5 months now and I'm still trying to get it. I'm starting to feel more relaxed in the pool, but still slow. I'm hoping like you and Drew that it will hit me one day.

Mike, those Brewers are starting off red hot! This might be their year. Unfortunately, I'm a Cub fan.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Drewwhite's Mentoring Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11