of 13

2007-06-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: #844326

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - FULL!
Thanks for the info Scott.

I guess I'll aim for the outside front and just go at it. I know another guy that is a pretty decent swimmer that I might recruit to help stake out our space.

I'm pretty surprised at the swim times from last year. That can't be normal is it? I'm guessing that it must be skewed because its early in the tri season here in MI, or maybe a lot of beginners enter this race. I regularly get smoked at my local pool. Mostly by women too. Not many guys swim during lunch. Its pretty foreign for me to think that I'm in the top 10-15% for the field.

BTW, you mentioned that you have a homebrew Gu recipe. Do you mind sharing it?

2007-06-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: #801922

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Scott,
That picture is crazy. it looks more like a Waterpolo match in a small pool. It looks like fun
2007-06-15 5:21 PM

User image

Parker
Scott-
Just looking into bikes. What are your thought on this one as an entry level bike. I'm not sure this is what I want but I want to start learning what would be a good bike. There is a lot of stuff on this one that I don't know anything about. Any thoughts?
Laurie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110139207486&fro...
2007-06-15 5:46 PM
in reply to: #844525

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

matt3liv - 2007-06-14 11:12 AM BTW, you mentioned that you have a homebrew Gu recipe. Do you mind sharing it?

My simple recipe is just to buy brown rice syrup, which is what Clif Shot is made from. I buy the flavored and unflavored stuff from this website and mix them together according to taste.

I've also experimented with adding in maltodextrin powder mixed with water to a gel consistency. It tastes a bit better than just the brown rice syrup, but it's a lot more work. Usually I just dump some blueberry BRS into a gel flask and I'm good to go. No electrolytes in there (adding salt makes it taste weird) so I take salt tablets for long/hot rides and races. 

2007-06-15 5:52 PM
in reply to: #846555

User image

Hi Laurie,
It does not look like a good deal. Trek's website lists the 1000 for $709 and it is just a road bike with aero bars. If it lists for $700 you can probably buy it new on sale for 600. (my bike lists for $1200 and I paid $839 on sale)

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1413000&f=3

Also, The componenets are bottom of the line (see below) You want at least Shimano 105's.

SORA.
SIS is not found on many road bikes now.However Sora is extremely popular. Many general commuting and entry level road bikes will be Sora equipped. Sora has STI levers and a very reliable gear and braking system, without being to pricey. Sora is a 8sp group set and will come on bicyles ranged between $700-$1200.

Tiagra.
Tiagra is the first road group set that is 9sp. Tiagra is used a lot by road cyclists that want the reliablity and smoothness of 9sp without the price tag.

This is a very commonly used component set a lot of top road bikes and training bikes will be equipped with 105 as it is exceptionally smooth in its changes and a very durable and reliable group set. 105 is a 9 or 10sp group set and its body predominantly made of alloy, thus making it very light.People who want good stuff that will last this is it.

ULTEGRA.
Once again used a lot for top end racing. Not often used for training bikes, however it is durable enough to do so. Very smooth and very light on its actions. This means changes with little effort.

DURA ACE.
The top of the line. Fairly expensive for the general rider, but verrrrrry nice.Dura Ace has been converted into a 10sp system, with massive changes to the levers and crank sets, both so much smoother and lighter to use.Ride it and you will understand.

Keep an eye out on sales from your LBS (I get tons of email and paper fliers from performance bike that allow me to see the Fluctuation in pricess while learning what I can get for my money)

Hope this helps

Mauricio
2007-06-15 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
How much do you want to spend, Laurie? My Giant OCR1 (2006) was about $1300 CAN, (so it would be cheaper in the states.) It's a good entry level road bike with a full Ultegra groupo (see Mauricio's info.) I am very happy with it and think I cna wait at least another year before I buy a full carbon bike in the $2500 range. My giant has a carbon seatpost and forks too.

2007-06-16 1:06 AM

User image

Parker
Mauricio - thank you for all that information. I am starting a file on all the great info I'm getting on bikes. I will hopefully become better informed as I look and ask questions.

Barb -
I don't know what my price range is yet - still need to convince hubby that it is a necessity and not a whim or a want. I have looked briefly at the Giant - had a bad experience in the store though and haven't been back.

Thanks guys,
Laurie
2007-06-18 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Morning all.

I made it through my first race. It was fun. I posted my race report and I'll warn you, its not very positive, but its true. I had a good time, made some BIG mistakes, learned a lot, and I can't wait to redeem myself for this poor performance.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm likely going to take the next couple days off of training to kick this cold, let my knee get some more rest, and plan out training for the next couple of months. I have an Olympic coming up in August, and I'm thinking about an Xterra in July. Meanwhile, I'd like to squeeze in another sprint to prove to myself that I can do MUCH better than this first effort.

Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration this last week. I really appreciate it.
2007-06-18 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
I started piecing my schedule together and I realized that I only have seven weeks to get trained up to the olympic distance. A month ago I would have thought that it was no problem, but my running fitness has taken a big hit. If I had to do it right now, I could gut out the ride and swim, but the run would end up being more of a 1:1 run:walk. I don't want that.

For you runners: Assuming I don't have anymore knee trouble, do you think I can get worked up to enough endurance in that time? My longest run before the knee was 9 miles at ~ten minute miles. That was my longest single discipline training session ever. I'd be essentially doubling that for the race. The goal of the race is just to finish now.

Although I originally registered for this race as the sprint, then switched it to the olympic, I'm thinking that I might need to scale it back to the sprint again. I'm not exactly thrilled with that prospect. Also, I'm having trouble finding another sprint close to home in the next month. On the other hand, this is a really flat course, and I think I could do it. I'm so confused.

thoughts, comments, incoherent rambling like I've posted above???
2007-06-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #848219

User image

Way to go Matt. Congratulations in your first tri. I am sure you will continue improving from here. The bike ride was pretty solid.

Have a good couple of days off.

mauricio
2007-06-18 11:21 AM

Veteran
Ontario
good work Matt!

2007-06-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #848219

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hey Matt- don't get down on yourself- it sounds like you had a pretty decent race overall. You didn't meet some of your expectations/goals, but you can just use that as motivation to improve on those things (which I think you will!) For a first race, you did great! Any time I do a first race at any distance, I try to just concentrate on finishing in decent form - if I can do that, I'm happy.

Anyway, looks like you did some good self-analysis and know what you need to work on in the future - I'm sure you'll look back on this before long as a fond memory of your first race, and all the little things that didn't go according to plan.

Keep up the good work - you've got a great attitude and I think it will take you far!

Scott 

2007-06-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: #848598

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove

matt3liv - 2007-06-18 11:38 AM I started piecing my schedule together and I realized that I only have seven weeks to get trained up to the olympic distance. A month ago I would have thought that it was no problem, but my running fitness has taken a big hit. If I had to do it right now, I could gut out the ride and swim, but the run would end up being more of a 1:1 run:walk. I don't want that. For you runners: Assuming I don't have anymore knee trouble, do you think I can get worked up to enough endurance in that time? My longest run before the knee was 9 miles at ~ten minute miles. That was my longest single discipline training session ever. I'd be essentially doubling that for the race. The goal of the race is just to finish now. Although I originally registered for this race as the sprint, then switched it to the olympic, I'm thinking that I might need to scale it back to the sprint again. I'm not exactly thrilled with that prospect. Also, I'm having trouble finding another sprint close to home in the next month. On the other hand, this is a really flat course, and I think I could do it. I'm so confused. thoughts, comments, incoherent rambling like I've posted above???

Matt, great job this weekend! Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience and let the "times" take a second-place. The experience is what counts the most.

For what it's worth regarding moving from a Sprint to an OLY later this season, I would possibly stick with another Sprint first. I would be careful with the knee and see how it reacts. it's tough enough to add milage every week/month, let alone without a nagging injury or recovering from one. I guess it depends on if you're looking to just complete it, or to be at the top of your game for it. Plus if it is "too much" for your knee, and you don't realize this until the race you might have to take a full month or more off of training. Obviously it's a little better to take time off them if it's the end of your planned season, but the months after the season is when you can really start getting a good base in for your running if the knee is healthy. Slowly increasing the miles in the offseason will definately help your endurance and running for next season. Either way I don't think any of us will disagree with your decision to do another Sprint or OLY. Just listen to your body/legs and see if it's too much. There's no deadline in trying to get races done, especially for all of us being our first years. Good luck with the decision!

I've had the same thing come up today (see my log today) regarding canceling races and altering goals. Lucky for me it's more of a scheduling conflict than injury. Hope the cold goes away soon!

2007-06-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #848598

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

matt3liv - 2007-06-18 8:38 AM I started piecing my schedule together and I realized that I only have seven weeks to get trained up to the olympic distance. A month ago I would have thought that it was no problem, but my running fitness has taken a big hit. If I had to do it right now, I could gut out the ride and swim, but the run would end up being more of a 1:1 run:walk. I don't want that. For you runners: Assuming I don't have anymore knee trouble, do you think I can get worked up to enough endurance in that time? My longest run before the knee was 9 miles at ~ten minute miles. That was my longest single discipline training session ever. I'd be essentially doubling that for the race. The goal of the race is just to finish now. Although I originally registered for this race as the sprint, then switched it to the olympic, I'm thinking that I might need to scale it back to the sprint again. I'm not exactly thrilled with that prospect. Also, I'm having trouble finding another sprint close to home in the next month. On the other hand, this is a really flat course, and I think I could do it. I'm so confused. thoughts, comments, incoherent rambling like I've posted above???

Hey Matt - I think you should go for it. I really think that in seven weeks you can get to the point where you can do the run, maybe with some walking. If necessary, as you get closer, you can adjust your expectations accordingly - maybe you'll need to take longer walk breaks, or something - no big deal.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with doing another couple of sprints - there's no reason to rush into the Olympic distance right away - sprints are fun too

But if you decide to go with the Oly, I think if you make a systematic plan to get your run mileage up, you'll make it - assuming your knee is OK. 

2007-06-18 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it. I'm sure in a week or so, I'm going to look back on my "knee-jerk" reactions to the race and the future races as pretty silly. At least I know that already ...

I suppose nothing is going to keep me from switching back to the sprint if I can't get my endurance up in time. I'll just have to approach the training smart and carefully. If the joints start barking, I'll have to lay off. I suppose that could keep me from reaching my max potential in such a short time, but it will also reduce my risk of a worse injury. I'm going to have to mark it down for posterity right here and now..

THE LANSING LEGISLATOR OLY GOAL IS TO COMPLETE IT AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT ANYONE ELSE DOES COMPARED TO ME.

... one of my weekend workouts over the next week or two is going to be a return to Big Fish. This time I will conquer it, even if I'm the only one out there! (well, not on the swim, I wouldn't do that solo...)
2007-06-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #849032

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Sounds reasonable Matt. I would definitely take Aaron's words to heart though - if your knee continues to bother you at all, definitely back off - don't try to push through it. My advice of "go for it" was in response to your hypothetical "assuming my knee is fine..." - otherwise, as Aaron so wisely suggested, it's just not worth risking injury - and no matter how much you tell yourself "I'll just go easy" - we all know that in the heat of competition... things change!

2007-06-18 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove

If that knee is all good, go for it man. I think my opinion came off as a negative thing, when first off I think you've rocked by increasing your milage in the past, endurance is up in all levels, etc. I didn't mean to sound like "don't do it", i guess mine was more of a cautious b/c last time I kinda gave words of advice of increasing milage on runs quick if you feel ok. Well i feel kind of responsible for the knee if you took my words of "wisdom" (if you can call it that )

Anyways man, you know we total support either decision.

Scott, I was reading your logs... 6 hour bike rides with climbs?!? Now that is awesome!!

2007-06-18 5:10 PM
in reply to: #849412

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
arieth81 - 2007-06-18 1:49 PM

Scott, I was reading your logs... 6 hour bike rides with climbs?!? Now that is awesome!!

Ha- thanks! I've been trying to figure out why that ride kicks my butt so badly... earlier this year, I was regularly doing a different ride, of similar proportions - about 6 hours riding time, 8000 feet or so of climbing, and about 80 miles... but that ride was MUCH easier for me than the ride I did the last two weekends. The main difference is that the "newer" ride has a HUGE climb at the beginning - 5 miles, 2200 feet of elevation gain, whereas the other ride has the climbing more spread out (with one significant climb in the middle, but not as tough). So, either I'm very overtrained (unlikely) or that long hard climb at the beginning just completely drains me for the rest of the ride...

Anyway, I've been pondering this on and off all day...

2007-06-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #849532

User image

Well, I just added another Sprint Tri to my race schedule. It is a Tri that my work puts together every year during the "Intel Games". It is a work olimpics type of environment and it is fun. I did soccer a couple of years ago but this year i am going for Thirathlon. It is a bit shorter that the other sprints but it is not a super sprint (500yds S, 13m B, 3.1 m R)

My goal is going to be to improve on my average speeds,

Edited by MrSolis 2007-06-19 12:39 PM
2007-06-19 2:15 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Sounds like a good race.  Thats actually about the standard distance for a sprint around here.

I am still not sure when to do another tri.  The water hates me, and I am really trying to focus on my run as of late.  It would be nice to do a triathlon again, without having all the "first timer" worries and concerns.  Just that added confidence of having done one before you know.

Blah, I should stop complaining about it and go jump in the pool already. 

2007-06-19 2:49 PM
in reply to: #850732

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
MrSolis - 2007-06-19 1:38 PM

Well, I just added another Sprint Tri to my race schedule. It is a Tri that my work puts together every year during the "Intel Games". It is a work olimpics type of environment and it is fun. I did soccer a couple of years ago but this year i am going for Thirathlon. It is a bit shorter that the other sprints but it is not a super sprint (500yds S, 13m B, 3.1 m R)

My goal is going to be to improve on my average speeds,

That's really cool. I wish I could get my employees off their butts to do some cool stuff like this. I'm lucky if I can get everyone to play a game of horseshoes at the company picnic.

I'll also echo Robb's comment. That is just like a sprint around here. In fact, its the same as I did this past weekend.

2007-06-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: #849412

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
arieth81 - 2007-06-18 4:49 PM

If that knee is all good, go for it man. I think my opinion came off as a negative thing, when first off I think you've rocked by increasing your milage in the past, endurance is up in all levels, etc. I didn't mean to sound like "don't do it", i guess mine was more of a cautious b/c last time I kinda gave words of advice of increasing milage on runs quick if you feel ok. Well i feel kind of responsible for the knee if you took my words of "wisdom" (if you can call it that )

Anyways man, you know we total support either decision.

Ah shoot, no worries. PM sent.
2007-06-19 5:19 PM
in reply to: #850732

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

MrSolis - 2007-06-19 10:38 AM Well, I just added another Sprint Tri to my race schedule. It is a Tri that my work puts together every year during the "Intel Games". It is a work olimpics type of environment and it is fun. I did soccer a couple of years ago but this year i am going for Thirathlon. It is a bit shorter that the other sprints but it is not a super sprint (500yds S, 13m B, 3.1 m R) My goal is going to be to improve on my average speeds,

Do you work for Intel? Do you know Sinclair Yeh? He's one of my main training partners, and I think he helps organize that triathlon for Intel every year...

2007-06-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: #851325

User image

Scott,
Yes I work for Intel but I do not know her. i am going to keep an eye on her during the Tri to see if I can meet her. if she trains with you , she will probably be the one finishing way ahead of me.

2007-06-21 10:56 AM
in reply to: #853252

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

MrSolis - 2007-06-20 3:34 PM Scott, Yes I work for Intel but I do not know her. i am going to keep an eye on her during the Tri to see if I can meet her. if she trains with you , she will probably be the one finishing way ahead of me.

Sinclair (a guy, actually) is really fast. I don't think he usually races, but he helps organize it (I think - not sure if he's doing it this year or not). He's a small Asian guy - about 5'8 or so, probably 140 pounds (which is one reason why he always kicks my butt on the long hard hilly rides!) He's a very nice guy, and very knowledgeable about triathlons, especially long distance stuff (he's training for Ironman Korea right now.) Say hi if you see him!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 13