General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water temp and wetsuit question.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-12 8:51 PM

User image

New York
Subject: Water temp and wetsuit question....
OK, my first tri is next Sunday and I never wanted to buy a wetsuit just in case I don't race again. Although, from what I've seen on these boards I fear it might become an addiction.

So, I was supposed to rent one today and the store I was dealing with sold all of their rentals for the season. So, my question is this....

How many of you actually wear wetsuits and what's the coldest temp a person can withstand without one, since that will be me!

From what I can gather, the water temp should be 65-70. It's in the bay in NJ.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

2004-09-12 9:47 PM
in reply to: #60579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: Water temp and wetsuit question....

I think it in part depends on how long the race is and how long you anticipate the swim taking. I did a 3km swim (windy, open lake) in 17C (62 F) with out a wet suit and it was foolishly cold for the distance- but I just knew I could finally beat the 1hr mark - and felt it would be cheating if I wore a wetsuit when none of my previous races were in one ..... oh the ego will get us every time     (btw - time was 56:56 - so I did it!)

But I also did a sprint tri in the same temp and was ok.  There are certain temps when it is manditory to wear a suit - (16 C and lower?) and 21C is the max I think.

2004-09-12 10:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

It is really an individual question.  For me, under 78 degrees and I am in one but I am not a fan of the cold weather let alone cold water.  Best thing to do is swim in water at different times of the year and see what you can deal with and what you can't.  Today at my race I would say 80% had wetsuits and it was 76 degrees. 

The best thing about renting is you can try out different suits and find what you like and don't like.  For instance I have used two different suits, Orca Predator II and the Orca Speedsuit.  The difference?  About $100 give or take.  The difference to me?  I believe the Predator II is more flexible in the shoulders and was a lot easier to swim in.  Now this could be in my head since I really don't know if one is more flexible or not, I will definately be researching it before I buy but I did notice a difference in the suits.  Both kept me plenty warm and bouyant.

2004-09-13 9:02 AM

User image

New York
2004-09-13 9:15 AM

I will wear my wetsuit whenever it is allowed. I wear my suit as much for bouyancy and swim help as for protection against the cold water. Most average to poor swimmers will benefit from a wetsuit.

I would try one if you have the opportunity. However, if at all possible, try it out in practice before a race. Most people take a few minutes to get used to the tightness of the suit (especially around the chest). It is not uncommon for people to exerience a minor panic attack when first getting in to the water with the suit on.

2004-10-31 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
How much does a wetsuit actually keep you warm?

I have never worn one, so lets say the coldest water I could get into and swim confirtably would be 72F, how much colder a water temp would I be able to swim with a wesuit? Also, doesn't the cold water affect your feet, hands and head?

2004-10-31 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
65-70 is a bit cold, but you will probably be fine if its a sprint. The only time I ever swam in a wetsuit was at Discovery Cove (swim with the dolfins place) It is surprizingly bouyant and kept me warm both in and out of the water. The water temp thing kind of depends on what you are used to also.
2004-10-31 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
You can swim in 65-70 degree water without a wetsuit, no problem. It WILL be chilly getting in, but once you get moving you'll be fine. Just make sure you get your whole body wet before you start swimming so you're adjusted to the temperature.
2004-10-31 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
This question comes up a lot. As has been pointed out, you can do it without a wetsuit, but it will be cold. I take pity on those racers standing waist-deep in the water - goosebumps breakin' out all over - waiting for the start. Losing body heat is a definite energy zapper. Personally, I will always swim with a wetsuit unless prohibited under USAT rules. The evidence is indisputable - you're faster.
2004-10-31 6:52 PM
in reply to: #77626

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
H13 - 2004-10-31 2:18 PM

How much does a wetsuit actually keep you warm?

I have never worn one, so lets say the coldest water I could get into and swim confirtably would be 72F, how much colder a water temp would I be able to swim with a wesuit? Also, doesn't the cold water affect your feet, hands and head?

Wetsuits provide quite a bit of warmth, bouyancy, and reduced drag. Like others have said, its a personal decision. Extreme cold can lead to cramping and a truly miserable swim and issues while working all the cramps out during the bike. You are right that even with a full wetsuit, the head, feet, and hands will still be exposed, but your core is still nice and insulated. You'll still have nice warm blood pumping to the extremities. Personally, anything in the 72 and below range I'm packing a suit.
2004-10-31 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I concur with much of what has been said. I bought and received my wetsuit two days before my first triathlon. This is not a good plan...I needed much more practice with it. I did have that tight chest problem that caused me to panic. Read my race report and you can read more about how I felt and how the swim effected my whole race.

Here are two article that are helpful in undertanding about triathlons and wetsuits.

http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=23

http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=22

My biggest suggstion is if you think you need/want a wetsuit, go ahead and order one sooner rather than later. I was trying to be cheap and not get one. Reality was swimming made me nervous, so the wetsuit would help me feel better and I should have gotten one weeks earlier.

Kathy

2004-11-01 12:10 AM

User image

Haven't yet done a tri, but I dive a lot, and from a physiological standpoint, a westuit can only help you (as long as you are used to it). Your body - which is 98.6, a lot warmer than 70 degrees - will lose a LOT of heat , i.e., energy, in 70 degree water. Your body loses heat in water something like 6X faster than in air.

Add to that the buoyancy effect.

Chris
2004-11-01 5:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had two races this year where it was wet suit legal (78 degree or colder) the first one was a 1 k lake swim I wore the suit and it helped with bouancy and warmth. The second one I took the suit but because of the shortness of the swim (400 yards in a lake) I decided not to, I figured any time I saved swimming I would loose taking the suit off.
2004-11-01 11:05 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Well, my first tri's water temp was in the 68 range and it SUCKED! I couldn't get my breathing stable until the last 100 meters or so (out of 750 m), so I had to breast stroke and back stroke. It was just no fun. You may be able to survive it, but you probably won't enjoy it. I say beg, steal or borrow, but get yourself a wetsuit!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water temp and wetsuit question.... Rss Feed