BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-20 7:33 PM
in reply to: #808752

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: What to Wear? What do I really Need? and Transitions
pepalley - 2007-05-20 5:26 PM

What are the GOT TO HAVES and OPTIONAL apparel I should consider?

For your first tri (with your husband doing the swimming, you'll probably be okay with your normal running/biking clothes. Bike or tri shorts definitely are more comfy to ride in, but running shorts are definitely serviceable.

For the second one, you're going to want to have something you can swim in. For my first race, I raced in a pair of bike shorts (tri shorts would have been better) and a surfing rashguard. I pulled on a T-shirt for the run. You're not allowed to change clothing during transition (even if you can do the neat towel trick)... I'd recommend picking up a pair of tri shorts.

As for other stuff, the only things that you have to have are: bike, helmet, shoes to run in. Sunglasses are nice on the bike to keep from getting a bug in the eye. Goggles are nice on the swim because you're not dealing with water in your eyes when you're trying to see where you're going. Most races will provide brightly-colored swim caps for safety's sake. It's much easier to see a neon-yellow head that's in trouble than a head of black hair. 

Equipment

Helmet is the absolute most important thing! I use a decent Bell helmet that I picked up from Walmart. If you want to go higher-end, lots of folks have good things to say about Giro helmets. 

Usually the next step in cool bike stuff will be having a way to attach your feet to the pedals. Most folks go with a "clipless" pedal system (which is counterintuitive given the name...) You have special bike shoes that have cleats that click into your special pedals. The benefit of having your feet attached to the pedals is that your pedaling motion is more economic - you can use the upstroke and the downstroke to get you going. There is also a cheaper option of buying "Toe clips", which you just use your normal shoes in.  

If you want to keep track of your mileage/speed/etc, a bike computer is the way to go. I picked up a cheap Schwinn version from Target for around $20. It tells me my speed, average speed for the ride, time elapsed and distance covered. The one thing that it doesn't cover is cadence (how fast you're spinning those pedals). For a good computer, most folks go with Cateye.

Transitions

Transitions are tricky at first! You're not allowed to change between stages in the race (unless it's a big long distance event like an Ironman), so you want to wear something that you'll be comfortable doing all three sports in. Generally tri shorts and a top or a triathlon suit are what folks go with. Some people also will pull on a shirt before the bike or the run.  In general, you're aiming to get in and out as quickly as possible. 

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=115 is a good article explaining transition setup. Basically you're given a small spot in which to set up everything you're going to need.    

At T1 (between the swim and the bike) - I generally have my swim cap and goggles off as I'm getting to the transition area. I run to where my bike is, toss the swim stuff down. I have my helmet balanced on my handlebars with my sunglasses in it. I put on the glasses and then the helmet. Buckle the helmet, then unrack the bike. Then I run my bike over the timing mat and to the mounting line. Get on the bike and go.

At T2 (between the bike and the run) - I'm usually wiped. Dismount before the dismount line, walk bike over the mat and back to my rack. Rack the bike, then take off the helmet. Put on my race belt (it's an elastic belt that has my race number on it... before I had it, I had a shirt that I pinned my number to), put on my hat and head out. I like to carry a water bottle for this too, but most folks don't.

Another word to the wise, when you get there on race morning, after setting up your transition area, make sure to walk through from where you'll be coming from the swim, and the bike portions to make it easier to find your bike/rack spot when you're racing. Just about everyone has a special way that they mark their area. I have a bright pink towel that I set my stuff on that cues me in.

Hope that helps!  

2007-05-20 9:26 PM
in reply to: #807691

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
Bonnie - thanks for your post - most helpful information!  I will try to incorporate much of your advice into my training plan.  Thank you.
2007-05-22 6:29 AM
in reply to: #802279

User image

Veteran

Hi girls.....I hope everyone is doing well. I am trying to refocus my efforts on weight loss and need some help. 

Bonnie do you have some helpful tips that worked for you? 

I have WW at home kit so I'm thinking of recommitting to that. Should I write down everything I eat? I used to be a huge diet soda fan but have now successfully switched to water....which was a big step for me. I generally eat pretty well in terms of healthy foods but portion control still poses significant problems for me......

Any advice would be great to get me back on track.  Thanks! 

2007-05-22 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Quick post for me as I'm back in Denver this week.

Kate - Great list you gave to Alley!!! I'll add a few things to it later but for the most you got everything I would have written

For tri wear I recommend:

www.terrybicycles.com (Great selection of tanks, shorts and jerseys in sizes up to 4X, which I used to wear)
www.rei.com (They carry the Danskin triathlon gear which also comes in bigger sizes)
www.teamestrogen.com (Cool website with again lots of sizes and lots of deals)

Nathalie - I write everything down, even if I'm having a milkshake or something. I use BT to track all my calories and I log them every single day. I try to "snack" throughout the day so I'm eating 5-6 meals of 2-400 calories to add up to 1800 calories a day (I weigh 190 right now). I also faithfully go to my WW meetings. This helps keep me motivated and get good tips. I've found if you committ to writing everything down and drinking all your water, you will start to see changes You can do it!!!!

Off to the hotel gym for a workout, waving to you all!
2007-05-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: #808884

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: What to Wear? What do I really Need? and Transitions

Hi Kate - Wow - thank you so much for the time you took to help me out with my questions!  I have taken your advice on the helmet and Cateye - thank you!  I'll need to look into the triathlon shorts which sounds like a good idea.  Thanks for your suggestions and "words of wisdom"!  I'll be referring to your email often! 

Most appreciately,

Alley

2007-05-23 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Hey gals! -

I just managed to get a (shortened) bike-run brick in just before the bottom dropped out. Was nice and cool with a good breeze. Definitely made some progress on getting into the toe clips too. Also ended up raising my bike seat a little, and my quads aren't aching as bad.

Other than that, I did start my temporary job working as a custodian at the college arena. It's tough work! I've been seeing calorie deficits way too large for my tastes, but I can't manage to eat much more that I already am! I guess I've figured out why my husband hasn't lost the weight he thought he would while working here! Good news is that it's definitely working as strength training for us both. And once we move, we're going to look into getting a weight bench. Other bonuses to the job? Well, yesterday I came home with a 19-lb medicine ball  that had cracked. Nothing a bit of duct tape didn't fix.

Next race is coming up a week from Sunday. Planning on getting what I can this week, then a 10miler on the race course bike course for the weekend for extra confidence. Still not going to be the fastest. Once I bike the course this weekend, I will come up with my specific goals for the race.

2007-05-23 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Nathalie-
As far as WW goes-do write down everything. I lost 30 pounds last winter and gained back 10 already. I can attribute it to sneeking an extra thing or two that I wouldn't eat had I had to write it down. My portions also became larger. If there is anyway to go to meetings, I would encourage it. It a great way to stay motivated. There's nothing like having to weigh in every week and have that sticker go in your little book. It makes you accountable and can be a huge motivator. There are great suggestions members give too for food that will fill you up without costing you too many points.
2007-05-27 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Hope everyone's having a good long weekend. I rode my bike yesterday (I think I finally have a handle on the toe clips now) and then ran today. Specifically the run today was perfect!

2007-05-27 6:03 PM

User image

Louisiana

Hi gals!

Made it back from Santa Fe yesterday. See ya'll have been active here. Training schedule and nutrition took a dive on vacation. Did a lot of hiking, a little biking, and no running (at 7000ft!). But maintained weight, so I'm pretty happy. Oh, and found the cutest size 12 skort at Walmart in Vernon, TX. Doesn't get much better than that.

Kate:  Loved your list. I got a pair of tri shorts a couple of weeks ago. Did a swim/bike transition in them and was amazed at how comfortable they were.  Have joined local tri club since and got their uniform last week. Serves the purpose of what to wear. I figured I may be last across the line, but I'll look good. What's your upcoming race?

Hey, and that goes for all of you! What's your next race or what are you training for?

2007-05-27 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

"What's your next race or what are you training for?"

Flint Hills Triathlon is my next race. Then I'm off on the move to Georgia. And depending on the money situation, the next race after that will be the women's tri in Atlanta (on the anniversary of my first race in August) or in September.

2007-05-28 4:45 AM

User image

Louisiana

I need encouragement puhleez!! My back is worse today. I injured it somehow riding in a pickup on the way home. I got up at 4:30 to get in a run before work and I could hardly walk. Sitting is a real challenge. Ran one step in the kitchen and right buttock went into horrible spasm. Took 1/2 ultracet to get to work, and I never take medications. Usually I work it out through stretches, heat, etc.

I know the injury will heal; has before...takes about 6 weeks. In the meantime, running is out. I already have the distance for the swim and bike for my first tri at the end of August. Please tell me it will be OK to walk the run if I have to. And tell me others survive nagging injuries and still manage to get back on track.

Did I say I was bummed???

2007-05-28 4:48 AM

User image

Louisiana
Oh, so sorry Kate. So full of myself this AM, just noticed your post. Went to the like on your tri. Which length are you doing?
2007-05-28 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Twylite - You will get through this!!!! Lots of people walk the run portion of triathlons for a variety of reasons so you will not be alone. I had knee surgery in the summer of 2005 and spent the entire summer on crutches. I was really freaked about running again but with time and gradual build up of running intervals I got better.

Hugs though because being injured is never fun.

How's everyone else doing? What did everyone do this weekend?

I drove up to CDA for the weekend to do my last weekend of peak IM training and it was a blast. I rode 117 miles on Saturday and then ran 2.5 miles and then yesterday ran a 1/2 marathon. Whew, it was a crazy weekend.

Heading down to CA this weekend to visit my sister who's about to have her 1st baby. WOO HOO!

Hope you all have a great week!
2007-05-28 8:38 PM
in reply to: #819087

New user

St. Louis, MO

Oh Twylite!   I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  I think it is AWESOME that you are NOT thinking about cancelling your participating in the tri (like a lot of people would)... but instead you are thinking about how you CAN do it... maybe not in the way you had hoped, but participating none-the-less.  Good for you

Take care of yourself, Twylite.  No shame in walking, although I know you are disappointed. 

Best,

Alley

2007-05-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: #819460

New user

St. Louis, MO

Bonnie,

Congratulations on losing another 3+ lbs!  (I read your training log.)... YEA!!!!

I cannot imagine ever being able to ride over 100 lbs, then run a 1/2 of a marathon the next day... Wow!  Very inspiring!!!

Alley

2007-05-29 5:27 AM

User image

Louisiana

Oh gals, ya'll are so encouraging. Big hugs to you all. I woke up at 3 AM struggling to walk, wondering how I was ever going to get to work today, much less tri. And there were your words of encouragement! I know I can make it now. Was going to just call in (pretty much an impossibility in my work), but will go on.

Bonnie, you are such an inspiration. Here you are preparing for an IM, and after a knee problem. Do you know how many doctors would have told you that was impossible??? Yeah, I guess you do. I'm drafting in your wind, gal. Watching you for June 24.

Alley, have a great day in St. Louie. We've got rain, so I'll bet you do too. Oh, and congrats on your 5K run!!! WooHoo! You'll have to let me in on some of your secrets once I beat this back thing.

Kate, where are you, and how's the running going? Is it a wet day for you, too?

Gotta run gals, correction, limp.

Twylite

2007-05-31 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hi all! Whew, I'm so late getting back here! Yay Bonnie - 3 lbs?! Excellent!

My next tri is June 17th and I'm a little nervous. I hate my hybrid, it's just so heavy! Makes it tough to power up those hills! Am wondering if it would help to have toe cages installed?

I really haven't been training that well for the tri, marathon training has taken up so much of my time. I am going to try and get in a few bricks so that I can feel comfortable with that part. I pretty much feel like my swimming is hopeless! I'm just not sure how to get better with that, I feel like a kid - I can put my face in the water, but am a mess when it comes to freestyle. I either forget to breath, don't kick my legs...ahhh! It's frustrating!
2007-05-31 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran

hi girls....

sorry to be MIA...work has been rough this week.  

Sarah....keep at the swimming....practice and it will become easier.  You may also want to get a few lessons to help on your form.  

Twylite...hang in there with the back pain. I know its tough but you will get through it.  I separated my shoulder last summer before my tris and while I was disappointed in having to slow down and change up the swim....it felt good to just get out there and do it.......

I weighed myself this morning and am starting to write my meals down in a journal like I should....need to start keeping track and becoming accountable!   

2007-05-31 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

"Kate, where are you, and how's the running going? Is it a wet day for you, too?"

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as training goes. Work has been leeching a lot out of me lately (though I think that my overall fitness, specifically strength and general endurance, is improving). I'm going to get through Flint Hills on Sunday and then plan on taking the training down a notch. At the moment, I'm not meeting my expectations thanks to really tough workdays. So I'm going to change my expectations. Really going to focus on my nutrition in the next month before I leave for Georgia, and get runs and rides when I can. Right now it looks like my next race will probably be in September, so I can afford to slack a bit on training in favor of working, writing my thesis (if I can get it done and defended before leaving KS), and of course, moving.

So right now, I'm chilling til Sunday. Plan on putting in a good effort at Flint Hills. Then getting what I can and working on what I can until I'm in Georgia. Then back to training again (because I will have time and not be drained)  

2007-06-01 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Nathalie - I'm very online centric so I love writing down my food in the BT food log.

Kate - One day at a time girl and you will make it through. Last year I spent 60% of my time traveling for work and sometimes exercising was the last thing I wanted to do after flying all day or being in meetings. Rather than get stressed because I was supposed to do a 1 hour run or whatever I'd just start my workout with the goal to do 20 min. Most days I'd end up going a little longer but a lot of days I did my 20 min and that was it. 20 min a few times a week can go a long way towards relaxing you and keeping you happy. Hang in there! Good luck with your tri this weekend!

Twylite - Hope your back feels better soon

Becki/Alley - How are you both doing? Any questions before your big day?

Heading out of town this weekend to my sister's baby shower in California so I'll be off line a lot. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!!!
2007-06-02 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Flint Hills is tomorrow. 500yd swim, 10mi bike, 3.1mi run. Here are my goals:

Happy
- Finishing with a smile on my face and knee not hurting

Ecstatic
- Finishing sub 2:00:00 (*my last sprint distance was last August, 2:07:58)
- Strong bike
- Run/walk the run

Awed
- Close to 1:45:00
- Strong bike
- Run all of run

My knee decided to be screwy today. But when I took a really abbreviated bike ride, it loosened up.

Wakeup is 5am tomorrow. Race starts at 8:30. I am much calmer right now that I probably should be.

2007-06-03 6:47 AM

User image

Louisiana
GO Kate GO!!!
2007-06-03 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Rrrgh!

Back from the race. I DNFed (did not finish).

The water was freezing! They claimed 71 degrees, but I'm not convinced. No chance for a warmup before the gun because some of the long course swimmers were still out there almost until we had to line up. Took in a gulp of lake water unexpectedly on the first leg of the triangle. Then I put my goggles on top of my head and started swimming "commando-style" so I could sight bouys (they were on the left, I breathe on the right. I need to learn to bilateral-breathe). The water was so cold that I felt like I would call myself out after I finished the swim. But I didn't... I finally warmed up and make it to T1 and then the bike route.

The bike route basically started with this really steep mile-long hill. I walked most of it. But I didn't feel too bad about it, because a couple of other women were walking it as well. Got to the top of the dam and raced down the faster part of the course and out to the main highway. Legs got tired, I walked the corner. Then started up the next hill. Passed the 5 mi marker, but didn't make it to the 6th.  I was attempting to get my right foot back into my toe clip and finally joined the club at the worst time possible. I went down on my right side, with my right knee taking most of the impact, right into gravel. That knee has been injured in the past, and was hurting a lot yesterday. I had made the decision last night (while icing it) that if it hurt the least bit beyond normal during the race, I would do the right thing and bow out. A race finish (even my A race) isn't worth ending up back on crutches or needing physical therapy without insurance. The sweep vehicle came by and I loaded my bike up and got a ride back to the transition area.

When I got out of the vehicle, my mom and husband came walking over. I stepped out of the car and looked down at my leg. Racked my bike, turned in my chip to the race director, and then got it cleaned up a bit in first aid. Mom did get pics of the wound before cleaning though. It's nothing really deep, thankfully. The swelling will probably be the worst part.

Thank God this wasn't my first tri. I just simply need more time on the bike. It still beats the socks of off Rose Brooks last year (my first race) - this time I was riding a bike that fit me and wasn't having random muscle cramps from that. I'm not worried about picking myself back up and getting back to it, really. My results didn't get posted because I DNFed, and I neglected to start my watch when I entered the water. Oh well. Dead frickin' last is better than did not finish is better than did not start. I started and gave it a good go. And I still feel like I made a good decision. So it goes.

2007-06-03 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Kate....sorry about the DNF but you made the right decision......it's not worth finishing the race and suffering a more severe injury that knocks you out of the season or that makes your day to day activities unbearable....hang in there and better luck next time!

I hope your knee feels better soon.....  

2007-06-04 7:18 PM

User image

Louisiana

Hope everyone's enjoying their Monday. I'm back in the land of the training with the help of the exceedingly expensive wonderdrug, Celebrex! Swam today while #5 child was at swim lessons, then headed off to work. Sucked at form and endurance, but it was a swim, and that felt good.

Kate, so sorry about your DNF. Was browsing the race reports and ran across yours. You had me completely sucked in, right there beside you, and then you fell. My heart went out to you, not only for the DNF, but for the injury. You definitely made the right decision to care for your body. Speaking from the roster of "recently-injured-in-training ", your body comes first. Glad you got back on your bike today, but take it easy.  One day you will hear, "Kate Koepp, you are an Ironman. " Maybe I'll be there beside you! Who knows?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3