BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-05-20 9:45 PM
in reply to: #809013

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL
kylerboys - 2007-05-20 10:23 PM

darn! I was lurking on this group yesterday and went to join but you are already full!

I'm jenn (34) and the mother of six boys ages 9 to 5 months. I completed my first tri right before I got pg with #5 and didn't sqeeze in another one before #6 came along (they are only 19 months apart). But we are done having children now, so I'm back at it!

If you have any openings can you please email me? [email protected]

Sure, we can take one more. I have energy to spare. Weird, huh?

Kristen

2007-05-20 10:11 PM
in reply to: #804237

User image

Veteran
welcome jenn and karen!
2007-05-20 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
YAY! Thanks for letting me in!

Here is my little profile . . .

Name: Jenn

Story: I've always been active and worked out, but was never into running or racing at all. I'm part of a mothers online forum and one of our posters ran a triathlon in Spring 2004. I asked her a bunch of questions and before long, I was say, "Hey, I can do that!!". I had just suffered a miscarriage and was in an emotional funk and needed something else to focus on. So I trained and trained all summer long and ran my first tri that August . The next day I concieved baby #5! He was born at the end of April 2005. I really wanted to do another Tri, but having him so late in the spring sidelined me. So I sat out the summer of 2005. We've always wanted six children, so we decided to add one more sooner rather then later. I concieved #6 last April which sidelined me once again last summer 2006. I had our last son in December. So now that the babymaking stage of life is over, I'm ready to start racing again!! I've been working out since the end of January and it feels sooooo good to have my body back again!

Family Status: I have six boys ages 9, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 5 months. Yes, they keep me very very busy and working out keeps me sane! lol!

Current Training: I'm mostly focusing on biking and running right now. I hurt my shoulder my first time back in the pool this spring. I'm totally laying off it right now in hopes that I'll completely heal and I'll be ready to swim again.

Last Year's Races: I was pg all summer long!

2007 Races: I completed my first 5K in March, a second 5K last week, and I have a short course duathlon this Saturday (1 mile run/8 mile bike/ 1 mile run). There is a 10K at the end of June I'm shooting for. If my shoulder holds up I'd like to do the Y-Not-Tri in Aug. I"m also planning on doing a long course duathlon Sept 15th. That should keep me busy this summer! lol!

Weightloss: I started weight watchers at the end of January and I've lost 23 pounds so far! 2 more pounds until I hit my goal weight!!

I'm excited to join this group! I have several friends that run, but none of them do the multisport thing. I'm hoping to change that, but for now I'm the loner of the group! lol!

Edited by kylerboys 2007-05-20 10:12 PM
2007-05-20 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran

holy busy-ness!

you are truly an inspiration...no more complaining about finding time to workout for me (or at least not to you)!  my sister and i were just discussing that we need to be able to log "marathon mothering" here!

first, i love your avatar, daisies are my favorite!  second i am one of six children, all a year apart and we are all so close, what a great gift to give your kids lifelong friends aka siblings. 

hope the shoulder feels better soon. 

2007-05-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: #809068

User image

Newberry
Wow Jen,

I'll never complain about not having enough time. Way to go.

Michael
2007-05-21 4:49 PM

New user
Portland, OR
No doubt, Jenn. Here I was wondering how I could possibly train with two kids. Wow.

2007-05-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: #808811

User image

Champion
OK, I've edited the table to add our newest member - Jenn!

mosc11/enders_shadow mentoring group

Carol -mosc11
Kristen - enders_shadow
Michael - tigerrocker1969
Marie - marieq
Jessica - gorjess
Cindy - cgardner
Karen - momandmd
Jenn - kylerboys
2007-05-21 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
Wow! I peeked at our logs and it looked like we had a great weekend! Good work everyone.

We've talked a little about the sports we don't like or struggle with, but what is everyone's favorite sport (or the one you're best at, or are the two the same thing????)? Why do you like it? Sometimes its nice to hear a different perspective...

Without a doubt, swimming is a struggle for me, but after I read someone who loves swimming talk about how peaceful & rhythmic swimming is and how you can't really think about anything except 1-2-3-breathe, it kind of sounded like yoga for type-a personalities and it gave me a new perspective.

Anyway, my new favorite sport is biking. (It used to be running, but that's turning into more of a struggle, a story for another day). This weekend when I was biking and flying down the hills (and even while dreading the uphills), I was smiling. SMILING, while training! Yikes! I'm sure people thought I was losing my mind. I like the free-falling, yet partially mortifying, feeling of the rush. And I like how strong I feel when I pedal back up the hills. And I love that I'm going fast enough not to be bored but slow enough to notice the scenery that you never see when you drive. And I love that I went places this weekend I've never been before and saw some great old horse farms less than 10 miles away from my house that I never knew were there. So cool. (Although - public service announcement - smile with your mouth closed or you'll get some extra-buggy protein. I'll stick with gels, thank you very much )

Kristen
2007-05-21 5:36 PM

User image

I have been a fair weather runner since I was 18.  On again off again the entire time.  I know that I have to suffer from seasonal mood disorder and I live in Texas... imagine what I would be like somewhere like Wisconsin.  Running has been very therapeutic for me over the years. 

I like my bike, but I have a fear - a fear of being hit by a car, a fear of wiping out, a fear of having a flat and having NO IDEA how to patch it.  I still have cages on my pedals due to the fear of clipless pedals and those funny shoes.

The swim.. I loved swimming as a child and excelled in it - often times winning local meets.  When I was 16 I went tubing at a lake with my boyfriend and his family - confident in my swimming abilities I removed my life jacket in the water and through it towards the boat because it was choking me.  I still remember thinking that if I just let my body go under I would come back up after a brief rest. I was so tired from treading water and trying to swim to the boat.  My boyfriend's Aunt whose claim to fame is Olympic Trial swimmer dove in and rescued me.  Needless to say - I have a tremendous respect for the water and you guessed it... another fear.  But I worked really hard on it last year and finally found that joy in the water I had as child.  Unfortunately - endurance in the water didn't come with it. And neither did swimming in the lake.  I took some OWS clinics but just can't get over the fact I can't tell how deep the water is, or not being able to see.

2007-05-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: #810642

User image

Champion
marieq - 2007-05-21 6:36 PM

I like my bike, but I have a fear - a fear of being hit by a car, a fear of wiping out, a fear of having a flat and having NO IDEA how to patch it.  I still have cages on my pedals due to the fear of clipless pedals and those funny shoes.

OK, I guess there is that part of the bike. I am afraid of being hit by a car or wiping out. I did fear having a flat, but I only go on long bike rides when my hubby is within telephone distance (I keep my cell in my pack under my seat) and I also feel a lot better now that I got someone to show me how to change a flat. More than once. (It was somewhat embarassing - I'm a college prof and I had to get one of my students who I knew was a cyclist to bring her wheel/tire assembly to school and show me...but I'd do it again in a heartbeat just to have someone show me how those stupid tire levers worked.)

AND, I still wear toe-cages. My brother who bikes sent me some of his discarded pedals...all I need to do is suck it up and buy the shoes, but I keep coming up with new excuses...right now, I can't change because I'm doing a race in 2 weeks and you can't make drastic changes before a race. Wait until June 4 and I'll come up with another excuse. On the other hand, toe cages & running shoes make for a quick 2nd transition!

Kristen
2007-05-21 10:42 PM
in reply to: #810649

User image

Veteran

i LOVE the swim! i could swim forever and day after day. don't even know where it all started because i have never competed in swimming or been trained or coached. probably way back when splashing around in grandma's pool racing my brothers from one end to another. either that or it is genetic cause my mom is quite the fish!

i did invest in the shoes and pedals for the bike this year and they are great. i got spd pedals, you can clip in on either side...and i got mountain bike shoes instead of road or tri shoes because the clips are recessed and you walk in them. i bring the shoes to the gym and clip in on the spin bikes and have no problem even walking up and down stairs in them.

Edited by mosc11 2007-05-21 11:34 PM

2007-05-21 11:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, life is crazy at my house, but I love it! Well most days! lol!

My favorite sport is the bike. Its just not really hard for me like running and swimming. That said, I'm still a total rookie on my bike. My first tri I trained almost exclusively indoors on a spin bike. For my race, I rode a crappy Target Mountain bike. I was hooked though and the next summer, I bought my first road bike (too bad I hardly got a chance to ride it with a newborn around!). I LOVE MY BIKE! Its not fancy, but it is so fast and light--unlike the Target Special!! I've been riding a lot this spring and I'm still trying to figure things out, but I feel like I could ride forever some days. I'd really like to know how to ride better. I'm sure I'm doing the gear thing all wrong!

I'm not a really strong runner, but I can do it. The swim, I REALLY stink at!! I took lessons as a kid, but never was on a swim team or anything like that. I've tried and tried to figure out the freestyle stroke, but it just wipes me out. With my first tri, I finally gave up and decided in the last few weeks to just breast stroke the entire distance (actually ended up side stroking and back stroking a bit too! lol!). I'd really like to take lessons and really learn how to swim. We have a pool and I've hired someone to come teach my kids lessons this summer. I've been thinking I should hire the instructor to teach ME as well!! I'm dead serious! And in the privacy of my own pool it shouldn't be as embarrassing, right? lol! If I could swim the freestyle stroke then entire part of the race, I would feel like the coolest girl around!
2007-05-21 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
I have mountain bike shoes too. I still get nervous at intersections having to unclip and I've fallen a few times too. Thankfully not in front of too much traffic! I'm afraid of cars too. I decided to take my bike out early during the week instead of a weekend like usual. I thought I was going to get ran off the road!! This weekend I maped out a route where I"m in the least amount of traffic possible. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week and I'll get to try it out!

mosc--you'll have to give me your swimming tips!

Has anyone used a wetsuit? I have one for wakeboarding, but it probably isn't great to swim in. My sister (who I introduced to tris and kicks my butt now! lol!) loves her wetsuit because it helps keep her afloat. I would get one just for that reason alone!! I'm so scared I'm going to drown, seriously.
2007-05-22 3:42 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Right now my favorite is running. (I can't believe I just typed that.) I'm not up to running without walking yet, but I am running 5 min then walking 2. I just like it that I can do it anywhere, without a lot of gear and stuff. It makes me feel athletic, too. I've always put runners up on this pedestal, so I feel really cool when I can do it too!

I also share Marie's fear of biking, but that is counteracted my my joy for my new bike!!! I got it about 6 weeks ago. Nothing fancy, but like Jenn I was riding around a Target mountain bike before...now my road bike lets me fly...(too bad I've been stuck at the gym that past week and a half!)

I need to discover some of the joy of swimming that Carol has. Right now I can do it just fine, but it feels like I'm just puttin' in the time. Not getting faster or anything, and it's just the same thing over and over again.
2007-05-22 6:17 PM
in reply to: #810606

User image

Newberry
Hi everybody. Thanks for all the words of encouragement about my race.

My favorite tri sport is biking. I guess it is because that is what I'm best at. I have mountain biked for years, but I' learning to like road bikes. It feels great when the sun is behind you, and you can see your shadow pumping away at the peddles.

As much as it is a struggle for me, I'm starting to like running. Every once in a while I'll have a dream about running real fast. When I wake up, I cannot wait to go for a run. Its funny how much the mind can affect the physical output of your body.

About biking shoes... I have toe clip (the cage) peddles on my road bike. I don't use them out of fear, but it cuts my T2 time down. I do use clipless (the kind you clip into) on my mountain bike. Once you get used to them, they are no problem to get out of.

I use a wet suit and it help a good bit. It almost feels like swimming on a boggie board. I do recommend getting a sleeveless wet suit. I have full sleeves and it feels like I am fighting to push them down in the water because they want to float. On my deep water start this weekend, My shoulders were out of the water when I was just floating with no effort.

No word about the Ga fire yet. I'll keep yall posted.

Michael
2007-05-23 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Does anyone have big plans for the Memorial Day holiday weekend?

I'm going to my brother's house in Minnesota...flying the whole family up for Friday-Tuesday, so don't worry if I'm a bit AWOL. I'm not deserting you!

I won't have access to a bike, but I'll bring my running gear and I found a Y near his house that will let me come as a guest, so hopefully I'll get at least one swim in. (I'm kinda obsessing about swimming now that I am seeing some improvements - I never thought that would happen.)

Other than that, my vacation/training will consist of eating, visiting, and sightseeing!

Kristen

2007-05-23 7:45 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Everyone! 

I like running- I've dabbled in running since I was a teen, but never been able to run very far or very fast.  I've done an occasional 5K race, sometimes even with a respectable time.  This spring has been very fun- I've cut quite a bit off my average times, and I'm really enjoying the runs so much more.  The only problem is that I have had surgery on both my knees, so they don't love running nearly as much as I do!

I am also a bike chicken.  I do love biking on the open road with no hills and nothing but pavement.  I have always been, and now I recently switched out my SPD mountain bike pedals for Look roadie ones, and I promptly fell off the bike (in front of the bike shop guys) and did something very painful to my butt, from which I am still recovering.  (the butt, and the pride).  So now I am not only afraid of being hit by a car or a deer, bitten by a dog, catching an errant rock and doing an endo, being caught out in a thunderstorm and hit by lightning, but I'm also afraid of falling over clipped in, or unclipping and having the big slick cleat slide my shoe right out from underneath me, causing me to fall over sideways and have to catch myself on a stopped car (this actually happened on my first, and so far only, day out).  I am also afraid that I'll get on a hill and not be able to go fast enough to stay upright, and then not be able to get unclipped before I crash to the ground (and have a semi truck run over my head).

Can anyone say "ativan"???  Or "generalized anxiety disorder"?

I enjoy swimming- the relaxed rhythmic strokes are kind of calming.  However I am pitifully slow.  Fortunately it is the shortest leg .

We are going to our cottage on a nearby lake this weekend, so I'll have quieter roads to bike on.  I'm planning on a 5ish mile run, and a bike if my butt feels OK.  Swimming will have to wait until the ice on the lake melts .

2007-05-24 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
momandmd, ACK! Thanks for reminding me of all the things that could happen on my rides! lol! No, I'm ok as long as I"m not in traffic. THen I REALLY panic!! I stay on the country roads as much as I can.

I'm doing my first duathlon Satuday. Its been a big goal of mine since I started working out again after having my baby. Its just a short one (1 mile run/8 mile bike/1 mile run) but it should give me a good comparison between tris and duathlons!

If the weather is nice, we'll take the boat out and go wakeboarding. My boys are so excited to finally take the boat out. Its been on and off cold here so I haven't been too excited about hitting the lake yet.

2007-05-24 5:53 PM
in reply to: #815858

User image

Champion
Good luck on your duathlon, Jenn! Sounds like a great way to get back into racing.

Kristen
2007-05-25 11:58 AM

User image

Here is a question for everyone.

I don't belong to a gym.  I was hoping you all could help me with some sort of at home workout with hand weights or anything else I could use at home. Your help is appreciated.

~Marie

2007-05-25 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

bet y'all didn't know that today's your mentor's birthday?

carol is celebrating X numbers of years on this earth and as her older sister I'm proud to say I'm thankful for every one of them!

2007-05-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #817661

User image

Newberry
Happy Birth day to you Carol. Thanks for starting this group.
2007-05-26 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Happy Birthday Carol!!

Well, I did my first duathlon today. I didn't die! Almost though! Here is my little race report.

I ran the Camel's Back duathlon today! I did the short course which was a 1 mile run/8 mile bike/ 1 mile run. That sounded easy enough! I never map out the race course ahead of time, but I started to get a little nervous yesterday, so dh and I took the kids out last night to map out the course. I almost died when I realized that the first part of the bike race was UPHILL!! Not just a little hill, but the HUGE long switch back MOUNTAIN on the way up to the local ski resort (Bogus Basin Rd)!!! I have hardly practiced on hills at all (I live around total farmland!). But dh pumped me up and told me that I could do it. I was still nervous though!

So, dh and I get to the park. I didn't bother to map out the run part because it was only a mile. big deal. WRONG! It was a trail run through the foothills. LOTS of hills! ugh! But I made it! Then I get on my bike and start pumping myself up for the big hill. It was HARD! But not as bad as I thought, until we passed what I thought was the turn around. Dh and I totally messed up on the course!! So I kept climbing and climbing and climbing thinking we HAD to be to the turn around soon!! Nope! I thought I was going to die. Seriously, it was the hardest I've ever had to push myself physically (except child birth! lol!). I was soooo close to getting off my bike to walk (and cry!). FINALLY I saw the turn around! It was three miles uphill, not the 1 we thought! Thankfully it was downhill after that! But, since I"m such a chicken I rode my brakes down most of the way. I am too scared to go that fast! Then we finally got to the flatter part. That part was nice (and what I expect the whole race to be! lol!) and gave me a bit of a break before my next run.

The run was fine. I wanted to walk, but was able to keep running. Then finally the finish line! YAY!

So it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fun either! I still love that "after race high", so I'll be hitting the road monday morning to train for my next big race in Sept. THis time I want to do a long course (3.1 mile run/11.5 bike/ 3.1 run) and this time I'm going to actually ride/run the course before I show up for the race! That should help! lol!

2007-05-26 9:15 PM
in reply to: #818365

User image

Veteran

thanks for all the birthday wishes guys!

jenn, i am so proud of you for that awesome race today!  you really stuck with it and pushed yourself GREAT JOB! 

2007-05-26 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
ok, I'm going to attempt to post a few pics . . .

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Edited by kylerboys 2007-05-26 10:07 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4