BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-05-26 10:08 PM
in reply to: #804237

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL
yay! It worked! One more . . .
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2007-05-26 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Yes, I really did want to beat the old guy in front of me, but he kicked my butt! I passed him once on the bike, but that was it. I love old people like that! I hope I'm still at it when I'm his age!

So, I'm not going to workout tomorrow. I'd really like to do a long run monday since dh will be home. Am I crazy or should I let my body rest more?
2007-05-28 5:58 PM

New user
Portland, OR
AWESOME JOB, JENN!!!!

Congrats on finishing- and what a race! Three miles up a gigantic monster mountain of a hill? You done good, woman!

2007-05-28 7:24 PM

User image

Expert

Congrats on your finish!  You did great (and looked good doing it )!

Did everyone have a nice holiday weekend?

2007-05-29 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY, Carol!!! Sorry I wasn't around to wish you well on the day. Leave it to Mary to out you!

And WHOO WHOO! Awesome job, Jenn!!! The pics were Excellent! So cool. I love the old man part of the story.

I had a great weekend away - we flew from VA to MN to hang out with my brother, his wife & his dog. My daughters have never spent anytime with a dog, so it was a hoot. They went from being petrified to kissing and hugging the dog. (We want to get one, but we've been moving/working too much the last few years...things look to be settling down, and it looks like the girls would do fine.) I ran a few days and swam at their Y one day (and had a great swim, can I brag!)

Anyway, I'm back!!!! And I'm racing this coming weekend! YEE HAW!

Kristen
2007-05-29 2:42 PM
in reply to: #818442

User image

Newberry
Way to go Jenn

2007-05-29 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran

welcome back kristen and by all means BRAG!  so proud of your awesome swim.  looking forward to hearing about another great race this weekend!

and jenn, how is it someone gives birth to 6 children and looks as awesome as you? 

2007-05-30 3:41 PM

User image

Newberry
Scroll down to Clydesdales and look who is #2 in South Carolina Palmetto Series.

http://www.setupevents.com/files/Spreadsheet.html
2007-05-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #822893

User image

Champion
tigerrocker1969 - 2007-05-30 4:41 PM

Scroll down to Clydesdales and look who is #2 in South Carolina Palmetto Series.

http://www.setupevents.com/files/Spreadsheet.html

AWESOME!!!! That's cool.
2007-05-30 11:57 PM
in reply to: #823008

User image

Veteran
VERY COOL!
2007-05-31 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Things have been quiet - I'm sure it's because you are all out training (and getting listed in the standings sheets - Whoo whoo, Michael!)...

So, question 1 of the week... What piece of triathlon or training gear do you wish you had?

I think the piece of gear I've been thinking about most recently are bike shoes. I think it's time to graduate to the clipless pedals (from the toe cages). After my tri this weekend, I'll go shoe shopping - always a favorite task - and see what I can find. I have the pedals, I just haven't installed them.

Question 2... What piece of triathlon or training gear do you have questions about? I probably don't know the answer but it won't stop me from trying - and maybe one of you can answer my question.

What in the world do you use the hand paddles for swim training?

Hope you're having a good week.

Kristen

2007-05-31 2:40 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Awesome job, Michael!

I wish I had a new pair of runners. That is what is most in need right now, although there are lots and lots and lots of other things I wish for ;-) I need to get a new pair of shoes for sure, though. The ones I have I picked up at Costco for less than $30- no fitting or anything. Hmm, could that be why I may be having problems with my calf? :-)

I have questions about wetsuits. How much do they really help/hinder? If it's my first race at the end of July (water should be above 70) do I want to rent one? I'd like to go without and save the hassle of figuring it all out for my first race, but if it's that much of a difference...

And I'm also puzzled by the water toys/tools.

Jess
2007-05-31 8:00 PM

User image

The one piece of equipment I wish I had...... A pool.

Questions -all the bike jargon

I'm having issues right now with BT.  I can't log in any of my workouts - my internet explorer closes out when I click on logs- grrr).  Rest assured I'm staying on schedule.

2007-05-31 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran

i think the paddles are supposed to help with hand form when slicing into the water...thumb side down and then turning your hand for the catch under the water...i have never used them though.

i wish i had a wetsuit so i could do tri's for a longer season. the water here doesn't get warm until july/august. wetsuits are great for added bouyancy. you can afford to kick less if at all and save your legs for the rest of the race. apparently if you lube yourself up enough before you put it on, getting it off is not so bad.  i might skip it for your first race if your swim is decent.  

as far as other water toys...i love the pull buoy.  that foamy thing that looks like an 8 when you look at it from the side.  hold it between your thighs and swim with just your arms.  its puts you in the proper position (much like a wetsuit would) and you can concentrate on your stroke and form

i actually want to know more about heart rate monitors and heart rate monitor training but i feel like it is too much "math" (i know that's silly)

Edited by mosc11 2007-05-31 9:37 PM
2007-06-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: #823994

User image

Newberry
Well I'm down in Ga on forest fire. So no training for 16 days. Talk to yall later.

Michael
2007-06-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #826460

User image

Veteran

tigerrocker1969 - 2007-06-01 10:24 PM Well I'm down in Ga on forest fire. So no training for 16 days. Talk to yall later. Michael

stay safe! 

2007-06-04 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Hey, all -

Hope all is going well.

Ditto the stay-safe, Michael.
Marie - is there any particular bike jargon you have questions with?
Carol - I use an HRM for training, but more for my amusement...I haven't taken the time to figure out my real max HR (y'know, by running up hill fast and killing yourself) - I just use one of the lame formulas. I keep telling myself I will figure out my real max HR someday, but I don't have the motivation.

I did my 2nd ever sprint tri yesterday and am moving from back-of-the-pack to middle-of-the-pack, or at least the back of the middle, which was very exciting for me. I also maintained my fastest ever speed on the bike, in the middle of a rainstorm, so I'm pretty happy with my time. Plus, I was shooting to beat 1:30 and did that too! (1:29:17)

Here's a link to my race report: Power Sprint Triathlon

Kristen
2007-06-07 11:17 AM

User image

Hey everyone!!

I'm still here. As I had mentioned in one of my previous posts, I am having problems with my computer allowing me to access the training log.  When I click on it, internet explorer just shuts down. I tried to do some catching up today on another computer.

Basically, I'm up to 9 minutes of running.  I've joined a gym (ouch) and I am continuing to do something active everyday. Thanks for checking in on me.

2007-06-08 5:34 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Hey there guys! Does anyone have any tips for shaving some time off the swim? I'm getting kind of frustrated, and I can't yet fork out for a coach. Do people do fartleks in the water? Is that one way?

Hey Marie, sorry about your computer problem. I totally forgot you were having issues with it!

Jessica
2007-06-08 5:43 PM

New user

CA
Regarding gear, I am curious about wet suits. Since I am just doing sprint tris this summer I really haven't looked into getting one, but I am wondering if it really helps with lake swims (buoyancy).

I just got a new tri suit that I am anxious to try next weekend at my 1st tri of the season.
2007-06-08 11:01 PM
in reply to: #836820

User image

Veteran

gorjess - 2007-06-08 6:34 PM Hey there guys! Does anyone have any tips for shaving some time off the swim? I'm getting kind of frustrated, and I can't yet fork out for a coach. Do people do fartleks in the water? Is that one way? Hey Marie, sorry about your computer problem. I totally forgot you were having issues with it! Jessica

sprints are important in the swim.  you start by timing some 25s and then move up to timing some 50s in your sets.  someone told me about swim golf.  you take the number of strokes it takes you to finish the distance in your 25 and add it to your time.  so if it takes you 25 strokes and 25 seconds, your score is 50.  then your goal is to lower your score by either taking less strokes or going faster or both.

watch videos and make sure your form is correct, that can really help your time as well 

2007-06-08 11:56 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Hey thanks loads!
2007-06-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #836827

User image

Champion
cgardner - 2007-06-08 6:43 PM

Regarding gear, I am curious about wet suits. Since I am just doing sprint tris this summer I really haven't looked into getting one, but I am wondering if it really helps with lake swims (buoyancy).

I just got a new tri suit that I am anxious to try next weekend at my 1st tri of the season.

I haven't had a chance to do a wetsuit swim, but apparently they are awesome for buoyancy...kinda like wearing a pull-buoy but better.

So what kind of tri suit did you get??? And of course, the important question - what color is it?

(Mine is boring black, but I got a sweet deal thanks to one of Carol's sister's mentees...(how's that for roundabout?)...)

I haven't tried the swim golf or intervals that Carol talked about, because I'm still so bad at swimming, but other advice I've gotten is that speed will increase with proper technique and practice (more so than with running or biking).

I got my clipless pedals installed yesterday and my shoes are here, so I'm going to go practice in a parking lot (at least) tomorrow. I'll post pictures of my skinned knees!

Kristen
2007-06-11 11:39 AM

New user

CA
I got a Zoot Tri Suit. It is boring black but it does have some pink trim. Took me a while to figure out how to get it on with the built-in bra. It should come with directions. I am anxious to try it out with my first tri this weekend. Well, let me say anxious and nervous. My body is a little tired, so I am backing off of my workouts this week to rest up. What kind of schedule is recommended the week before a tri. I know you should do a little of all three sports, but how much?

Thanks
2007-06-11 11:22 PM
in reply to: #839025

User image

Champion
cgardner - 2007-06-11 12:39 PM

I got a Zoot Tri Suit. It is boring black but it does have some pink trim. Took me a while to figure out how to get it on with the built-in bra. It should come with directions. I am anxious to try it out with my first tri this weekend. Well, let me say anxious and nervous. My body is a little tired, so I am backing off of my workouts this week to rest up. What kind of schedule is recommended the week before a tri. I know you should do a little of all three sports, but how much?

Thanks

My thoughts for the week before are to do all three, but to keep the heavy running on the early side of the week (because it's hardest on me) and I try to do swimming very close to the race (to get my confidence up since I'm a lousy swimmer)... Definitely rest up - what everyone says is that all of your "training" is done already, you're just sliding up to the starting line...you can't improve your position now, but you can definitely worsen it by working too hard.

GOOD LUCK this weekend! You'll do great & we look forward to hearing all about it. (And keep the questions coming if you have any more - that's what we're here for.)

Kristen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4