BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-05-17 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL
We would like to offer you two mentors for the price of one - one of us (mosc11) is both an experienced triathlete & mentor, the other one of us (enders_shadow) is an enthusiastic beginner with one tri completed and bunch of weightloss experience. We're both moms/wifes who work and tri. We look forward to providing some support & encouragement for new triathletes out there!

** I'll let mosc11 introduce herself, but here's my bio: **

NAME: enders_shadow (Kristen)

STORY: I have been tri-ing basically for a year (or at least seriously considering it), although I just completed my first sprint in March. I'm doing my next sprint in 2 weeks. I come from an on-again/off-again running background and as of January 2007, I could barely swim. (Not sure if I can say I'm much better, but I'm improving!) I started doing triathlons because I like the challenge, I like the variety of doing the sports, and to be honest, I like the folks I've met here at BT. I also lost a lot of weight in 2006 and my new tri-lifestyle is part of the new me. I work full-time and I'm a mom & a wife, and although it's sometimes a challenge, I think that training fits well in my schedule. Mosc11 was my mentor last term & she got me through my first tri with flying colors - I even placed in my category!

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 kids (ages 2 and 5). My husband & I both work full-time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I don't really follow a program, but my main focus is building my endurance and learning how to swim. Generally I'm in the pool 3-4 x a week, run 2-3 x a week, and bike 2-3 x a week. I also try to lift 1x a week.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: None. (I'll leave this expertise to mosc11.)

2007 RACES: I completed my first sprint on 3/24/07, placing in Athena! (For more on this, see weightloss section below.) I am doing my second sprint on 6/3, and I'm eyeing at least 1 more sprint this summer. I am considering a half-mary this fall sometime. I also run 5K and 10K races for fun.

WEIGHTLOSS: In 2006, I lost 47 pounds through clean eating and running. Towards the middle of 2006, I bought a bike and joined a gym, and started thinking about triathlons. I'm trying to keep the 47 pounds off (which has been good except for a 5-pound up or down plateau that I'm stuck in), but my ultimate goal is to lose that little nagging 5-pounds plus another 20 or 25. That would be a sweet fighting weight for me. As it is now, I'm on the cusp of being out of the Athena category, which would be great. I'm a huge advocate of clean eating, grazing, and except for my odd obsession with Clif MOJO bars, I try to eat in a modified-Paleo style (with only moderate success, since I have kids who love whole-grain rice & bread).

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-05-20 3:20 PM

2007-05-17 10:35 PM
in reply to: #804237

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - OPEN

First, I am so excited to be doing this WITH Kristen this time around! 

Name:  Carol

Story: I started tri training in June of 2006 after I had joined a gym in yet another attempt to loose weight.  In the locker room I overheard a conversation between two women in their 50's about the triathlon they had just completed.  I thought if they could do it, so could I.  I trained from June 18th through the summer and did my first tri September 16th.  I haven't seen the scale drop too much but I am two sizes down in pants and really the numbers I obsess about right now are my split times.  Swimming is my favorite thing and I have always used it in my fitness routine though I have never competed in swimming or been trained.  Before last year I never raced competitively in anything.  Softball and Volleyball were my sports of choice (notice not much running there).  I guilted my sister Mary (marymosc13) into completing the races with me last year and now she is a tri/running freak as well (she is much faster however).  The run is my nemesis but I will rise above that this year!

Family Status:  I am a 35 year old (in one week anyway)married mother of two.  My husband is a cop so his crazy schedule sometimes affects my training but we do o.k. considering.  I have two beautiful girls ages 4 1/2 and 20 months.  The big one is on a countdown now to her first tri.  Try explaining 10 years of waiting to a 4 year old, not easy!  I am a part time pediatric speech therapist and a part time stay at home mom, both jobs joyous and challenging!

Current Training:  I am loosely following the 13 week sprint plan here on BT.  I did it last year so I'm tweaking it this season.

Last Year's Races:  Sandyhookers Practice Tri, which actually turned out to be a duathalon because the water was too rough.  Danskin Tri, Sandy Hook.  Both were sprint distances and I'm sticking to that distance for a little while.  The run is my weakest link so I figure I can't move on until I conquer it. 

2007 Races: This year I have done 2 5k's and have one more on the calendar.  July will be a busy month for me with a practice tri and the NJ State Tri.  I will be doing Danskin again in September.  Still looking for something in August as of now.

Weightloss:  As far as the scale is concerned I'm only down about 10 pounds and could probably stand to loose about another 15-20.  I like to eat so there in lies the problem.  Maybe next year I'll conquer that one! 

2007-05-18 8:16 AM

User image

Newberry
Hi

NAME: Michael

STORY: I just started triathlons this year because my sister-in-law did one and I thought it would be fun. I swim average, bike pretty good (lots of mountain biking in my past), and run bad. I graduated from Clemson in 2004 at 35 years old and 265 lbs. I think I'm doing my last race as a Clydesdale this weekend. The weight is coming off.

FAMILY: Single

WORK: Forester, so I spent a lot of time outdoors.

TRAINING: I swim ,bike and run with no plan. I really don't know how much or how hard I should train.

RACES: I'm doing the SETUPEVENTS South Carolina series Sprint events.

I would like to join yalls group and maybe get some of yalls knowledge.
2007-05-18 11:44 AM
in reply to: #806082

User image

Champion
Hi, Michael & welcome!

My tri was actually run by Setup Events in VA - although it was my first tri and I don't know anything to compare it too, it seemed to be really well put on.

Congrats on falling out of the Clydesdale category!

How many races have you done this year, or are you still gearing up for the first one? If you've done one (or more), what did you find the most challenging? If you haven't done one yet, what makes you the most nervous?

Kristen

2007-05-18 11:56 AM

User image

Hello!

What a great idea this is.  My name is Marie, 34, and I am from Texas.  I tried a  TRI last year and was unsuccessful and ended up injured. It has been a year of complete inactivity and I still have this desire to complete my first triathlon.  Due to the inactivity this past year, I don't think that a TRI is in the near future... but I hope to start of slowly and build up. 

Family Status: Married with one six year old daughter

Current Training:  Just started walking 2 weeks ago.  Planning on using the couch-5K aggressive plan starting next week. I just wanted to get my muscles use to moving again before I satarted.

Weight GAIN: I have gained 20 pounds over the past two years.  My current weight is 140 and I would be happy to get back down to 125.  My downfall - Coca-Cola.  I have been drinking 6-8 cans of coke a day.  I have been trying to cut down to two a day - but it's proven to be very difficult.  I'm experiencing major headaches- but they are getting better. I know I really need to focus on my nutrition.

Biggest Challenge:  The SWIM... I spent two months in classes and frequented the Y - but I just can't seem to get the breathing down.  I never could get past 50 continuous meters - yet I was running 5 miles and biking like crazy.

Thanks in advance for your help!  I'll start logging my workouts TODAY!

Edited by marieq 2007-05-18 12:14 PM
2007-05-18 1:22 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Hey! Lemme in! I wanna play!

I think having mentors who are also mothers would be really great. I am a stay at home mom with a 17mo old daughter. Since getting pregnant and having her my weight has been a huge deal (always was an issue, but not quite like this.) I topped out at 275. I worked at losing, and lost 50 lbs but got stuck. Then my mother's group decided we might try a sprint triathlon. I started training in February doing the couch to tri program (22 wks) and lost another 15. Still working on it, and the race is at teh end of July.

I'm not a runner, a swimmer or a cyclist so this is all fairly new to me (although a few years ago I did a 10 mile race running...but that seemed to be a freaky blip in an otherwise sedenatry life.) My goal is to finish this sprint and to continue to exercise, hopefully doing tri's. I want my daughter to feel confident, strong, and powerful. I can't help instill that in her unless I feel the same.

I think I'm doing well, but I would like that little extra guidance. The women in my mother's group are dropping one by one, so a bit of support would be really welcome now.

2007-05-18 1:24 PM

New user
Portland, OR
oh yeah...I'm Jessica, 31 years old, and married in Portland, OR
2007-05-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #806675

User image

Champion
Hi, Marie & welcome!

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it sounds like you're coming back slow & smart! I think we have swimming in common - 50m is about all I can do continuously, although I'm hoping this is the week when I get up to 75 or even 100. We'll see how that goes. My tri in 2 weeks is a 300m pool swim, so I'm OK no matter what.

A hint that may not help nutrition-wise, but may help with those headaches... I'm a diet Pepsi fiend. Can't drink enough of it. (Shhh. My hubby thinks I only drink 3 cans a day - hah!) Anyway, after college I switched from regular coke to diet sodas with a diabetic friend of mine, but we found we didn't really like the diet colas - any of them Pepsi, Coke, whatever. So we started with the flavored diet pops - Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc. The diets in those don't taste nearly as weird as the diet colas, and then you can slowly make the change back into cola. Just a thought!

We're glad you're here!

Kristen
2007-05-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: #806918

User image

Champion
Hi, Jessica & welcome to the group!

What a cool thing for your mothers' group to do - and a big bummer they're dropping out on you. We'll stay with you, we promise!

Congrats on your weight loss so far - I'm still working on it too (and I think I've seen you over on the weightloss board...good stuff there!). I hate when I get stuck - I'm stuck right now and I can't seem to bounce out of it, but my training's going well and my "skinnier" clothes fit, so I'm not trying as hard as I should.

I love what you said about being a strong role model for your daughter - I feel that way for both of my girls...and a big part of why I train and race is to show them that.

What are the distances of your race in July?

Kristen
2007-05-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #806655

User image

Newberry
Kristen

Ive done 3 this year. Paris Island (my first triathlon), Langley Pond ( I placed 2nd in Clydesdale), and Clemson. I'm racing Lake Murray this Sunday. It should be my last in Clydesdale. I'm at 201 right now. After that I'm going to work the forest fires down at the Ga/Fla line. Hopefully I'll be able to get some running in but I'll be off the bike and no pool other than the hotel pool. Maybe there will be a YMCA near where I'll be staying.

I like competition and this seems to be a good choice for summer. I usually stay on my mtn bike during the summer, but I hate Mtn bike races. Its too hard to pass slower riders on the single track trails.

The swimming is what makes me the most nervous, but I seem to be a middle of the pack swimmer. Running is my biggest weakness. 3 knee surgeries limits the amount of time I can run, but as I loss weight, I'm finding I can run more.

How about you and your husband. What are yalls strengths and weaknesses?

Michael
2007-05-18 3:40 PM

New user

CA
I would love to join your group!

Name: Cindy

Story: I participated in 4 sprint tris last summer because my daughter thought it would be a fun thing for us to do. When I started training I didn't know how to swim, well I hadn't swam since I was a kid and almost drown. So I started with swim lessons. I still have trouble with the swim, but I am getting better and hope to improve this year.

Family Status: Married, 2 grown kids and work outside the home.

Current Training: I am trying to follow the Intermediate Sprint program on BT, but have to gear it back when I start getting too tired. My husband said I was grouchy. Well he actually used a different word, but he was right.

Last years races: I did 4 local tris.

2007 races: I would like to do the same 4 tris this year and run a 1/2 marathon in the fall. My goal is to do an oly tri in 2008

Weightloss: Always trying to lose weight. Been stuck until recently when I have finally lost a few pounds. I lost ~20 lbs a few years ago and went from growing out of a size 14 to a size 8. But I still have too high a % of body fat. So I am trying to lose my excess fat.

2007-05-18 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran

hello michael, cindy, marie and jessica!  welcome!

a little caveat here...i tend to log in late at night otherwise i have some little face next to me asking to play elmo or noggin on the computer so sorry i didn't say hey until now. 

sounds like this will be a great group.   i know the swim may seem daunting but take it one stroke at a time and make sure if you are racing in an open water swim tri you get a couple OWS in your training, big difference.  the other thing i would suggest is to practice more than just freestyle.  i used the side stroke when i got caught up in some others swimmers and was able to move and track and then got back into freestyle after the path cleared more.  you tube has some good instructional videos on strokes.

2007-05-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #807301

User image

Champion
Welcome from me too, Cindy!

That's so cool that you tri-ed with your daughter! My girls are little, but I'm hoping they'll grow up in sports and want to do stuff like that with me when they're older.

I find it's a tough line for me between too much and too little...if I don't work out enough I'm too grouchy and if I work out too much I'm too tired. I usually err on the side of happy but tired, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Happy to have you in the group!

Kristen
2007-05-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #807262

User image

Champion
tigerrocker1969 - 2007-05-18 4:26 PM

Kristen

Ive done 3 this year. Paris Island (my first triathlon), Langley Pond ( I placed 2nd in Clydesdale), and Clemson. I'm racing Lake Murray this Sunday. It should be my last in Clydesdale. I'm at 201 right now. After that I'm going to work the forest fires down at the Ga/Fla line. Hopefully I'll be able to get some running in but I'll be off the bike and no pool other than the hotel pool. Maybe there will be a YMCA near where I'll be staying.

Good luck with your race this weekend, Michael! I'll look forward to hearing how you do.

I've heard good things about finding Y's that will let you in as a visitor. Also, since you're down there helping out, you might be able to explain your situation to a local health club or pool and they may let you in for free/cheap.

The swimming is what makes me the most nervous, but I seem to be a middle of the pack swimmer. Running is my biggest weakness. 3 knee surgeries limits the amount of time I can run, but as I loss weight, I'm finding I can run more.

How about you and your husband. What are yalls strengths and weaknesses?

I guess that's one thing that's good about being back of the pack at swimming - at least I'm not in the mob of people! I'm glad running is getting easier as you lose weight - that definitely seems to help.

My strength is running. I love doing it and I'm getting slowly faster. (I guess that doesn't make any sense...) I'm still working on the technicalities of biking and swimming.

Kristen
2007-05-19 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
OK, everyone -

Can you share your dates of your planned races this summer, if you have any?

Michael is racing this weekend. (Go Michael!)

I'm racing in 2 weeks (June 3).

Kristen

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-05-19 10:04 AM
2007-05-19 10:11 AM

User image

Taking into account the current shape I am in, I do think it is very unrealistic to think I'll be race ready in three months. There is a Sprint race with the swim portion in a pool on October 7th that seems attainable to me. 

I have to remind myself and others that I am starting off the couch and that I'll ahve to take this slowly. The pool in my city doesn't open until after the holiday. 

2007-05-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: #807846

User image

Newberry
Marie,

You will be there. Just remember to listen to your body and your physical therapist. Your mind will tell you you can do things before you can. I have done the come back too fast thing and the take it at my physical therapist's speed when rehabbing from knee surgeries. You can guess which knee is stronger. When you get back it will be that much sweeter because of the work you will put in to it.

Michael
2007-05-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: #807846

User image

Champion
marieq - 2007-05-19 11:11 AM

Taking into account the current shape I am in, I do think it is very unrealistic to think I'll be race ready in three months. There is a Sprint race with the swim portion in a pool on October 7th that seems attainable to me. 

I have to remind myself and others that I am starting off the couch and that I'll ahve to take this slowly. The pool in my city doesn't open until after the holiday. 

Michael's right on - take it easy and work up to it. October seems like a good length of time, and pool swims make things much easier (at least they have for me). Some people train for over a year before they feel ready to race. (I only wanted to know so we could root for you - not to rush you.)

Don't worry - I'll be around until then... (mosc11 picked me up as a mentee in January and hasn't been able to get rid of me yet! )

Kristen
2007-05-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: #808012

User image

Veteran

enders_shadow - 2007-05-19 4:14 PM
marieq - 2007-05-19 11:11 AM Don't worry - I'll be around until then... (mosc11 picked me up as a mentee in January and hasn't been able to get rid of me yet! ) Kristen

wouldn't want to get rid of her!

2007-05-19 11:46 PM

New user
Portland, OR
My very first sprint tri is this July, on the 28th. It's a 1/4 or 1/2 mi swim, 12mi bike and 3.2 mi run. I haven't decided which swim distance to do yet... I'm swimming 1/2 mi a few times a week (save this week) so I think I could do the longer one, but it being my first tri, I'm leaning toward the 1/4mi. (OWS, kicking and splashing people, adrenaline could all weigh in differently.) I'm also looking to do another sprint later in the summer, but haven't decided which to do yet.

GOOD LUCK MICHAEL!

Jessica
2007-05-20 3:12 PM

User image

Expert

Can I join you folks?  I was in a mentor group last time, but we were disbanded

My name is Karen, and I'm a 39 year old wife, mother of 2 boys, and I'm 35 days away from being done with my pediatric residency (not that I'm counting...).  I did a couple of sprint triathlons before starting residency, but have been out of things in the past 3 years.  I'm trying to get back in the game, and do the mini-Mussel on Juy 14th, in Geneva NY.  My schedule and family obligations make it hard to be consistent, so I need prodding!  I can usually get out running 1-3 times a week, but fitting in swimming and biking is tougher. 

Current training:  I'm trying to swim, bike, and run.  Sometimes even in the same week. 

Last years races:  running down the hallway to deliveries and codes.

2007 Races:  Right now I'm planning on the mini mussel, and the Chase Corporate challenge (next week- I'll be post call- meaning I'll have spent the previous night in the hospital with very little to no sleep, and maybe have had a few hours sleep in the morning).  I'd love to do a few 5Ks, maybe a 10K, and hopefully a later season sprint tri.  While I know I should just be happy to finish the triathlon (and I will be!), I secretly hold out hopes of being in the middle of the pack!  I'd also love to do a sub 25 minute 5K (26:55 was my PR so far), but I really don't have any good plan for doing it!

Weight loss:  I have managed to lose almost 20 pounds in the past year by paying attention to portion sizes, and really trying to enjoy what I do eat.  I'm now around 125 (I am 5'5", and while I'm pretty happy here, I still have a predominance of cholesterol (and abdominal fat) that I'd be healthier without, and I'd love to get to 120 (high school weight).  I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and really tasty treats, and I am learning not to eat what I don't want (i.e.- I don't really love bagels, but we have bagels every wednesday at work.  I used to eat a bagel because it was there, but I finally realized it wasn't making my taste buds happy, and it certainly wasn't helping my waistline or my blood sugar, so I stopped).  I have noticed that my running speed has improved quite a bit since I lost the weight!

2007-05-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #808633

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL
Welcome, Karen! Congrats on finishing up your residency (in 35 days...)!!! We can certainly help with any prodding, poking, and cheering that you need!

I think that running down the hallway is further than I was running before 2006! I'm sure you'll be back in the game - sorry I don't know much about doctors - but does your schedule get a little less crazy post-residency, or do you still have some crazy years ahead of you?

And how old are your boys?

Thanks for joining our group. We won't be disbanding on you. (I'm a little persistent/obsessive.)

Kristen

2007-05-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: #808640

User image

Expert

Thanks!  Yes- my schedule becomes much more manageable when I'm finished- I'll be a pediatric hospitalist working as an inpatient attending pediatrician for 10 or so weeks a year, and doing research and administration the rest of the time.

My boys are 13 and 11 (oh, the joys ).  I also have 2 dogs- Sandy, an airhead yellow lab with a penchant for rolling in and/or eating things that are dead and rotting, and Tupper, an Australian Shepherd with an anxiety disorder who likes to eat UPS men.

Thanks for taking me in .!

2007-05-20 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
Hey, all -

Now that our group is full, here's a table that will let you link to everyone's logs if you're interested. You can copy it into your own log also - press "quote" and copy out the html code that makes the table & then paste it into your log in the goals section. (Hopefully it works...I'm going to check it out.) Edited to add - it does work from the log section...it doesn't work from here & I'm not cool enough to know why!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Kristen

mosc11/enders_shadow mentoring group

Carol -mosc11
Kristen - enders_shadow
Michael - tigerrocker1969
Marie - marieq
Jessica - gorjess
Cindy - cgardner
Karen - momandmd

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-05-20 6:43 PM
2007-05-20 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
darn! I was lurking on this group yesterday and went to join but you are already full!

I'm jenn (34) and the mother of six boys ages 9 to 5 months. I completed my first tri right before I got pg with #5 and didn't sqeeze in another one before #6 came along (they are only 19 months apart). But we are done having children now, so I'm back at it!

If you have any openings can you please email me? [email protected]

Edited by kylerboys 2007-05-20 9:37 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4