BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-06-11 11:44 PM
in reply to: #804237

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL
i second that...and don't forget to hydrate hydrate hydrate, don't just cram lots of water in the day before.  make it a priority all week and to get some good carbs in too.

2007-06-12 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Sorry, I've been MIA. We went to Utah to visit my sister and now that my kids are out of school, things have been crazy to say the least! When I was in UT my sister and I decided it would be fun to do a local tri with our husbands (relay). I did the bike and run and my dh did the swim. Guess what!?!? I got LOST!!! The course was poorly marked (it was a swim team fundraiser) and about 20 of us went off course. The group I was with left me in the dust and I had NO clue where I was! Then my chain fell off on a hill. I wasn't sure how to put it on but quickly figured it out. I decided to keep riding straight for a bit and then knock on someone's door to call my dh's cell. Thankfully I saw the course about 1/2 mile ahead. I ended up doing almost 2 miles extra! Crazy!! It wasn't a huge deal since we were doing it just for fun, but still! lol!

My sister has done several tris and she took me to her local multisport store. She helped me pick out a tri suit (I got a Zoot top too and it took me awhile to figure out how to get into the bra too! lol!), some body glide, a hydration pack, those shoe lace things, a race belt. Man it was fun! I can't wait to use it!

What piece of triathlon or training gear do you wish you had?

For me I wish I had a wetsuit. I think I"m going to get one next month (need to wait a bit after my little shopping spree last weekend!). I am NOT a good swimmer at all and I need all the help I can get. I'll probably go with an entry level one. I tried on a Zoot in UT and it was SO hard to get on!! My sister and I were laughing so hard in the dressing room! They probably thought I was crazy! If anyone comes across a good deal on a wet suit, let me know!! I hate how expensive they are!!

Does anyone have any experience with total immersion swimming lessons? I REALLY need to learn to swim better and I"m a little dissappointed in my adult swim lesson classes.

2007-06-15 5:27 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Wow, guys (or I guess guy & ladies)...

I have been a totally bad mentor this week. I'm sooooo sorry. I went to inspire everyone this morning and realized I have not been there all week.

I had one of those weeks where "stuff" got in the way, and I'm running a trail 10K this Saturday and I feel like I'm not tapering, but slacking, my way through the week. It's kind of a bummer...

But anyway, I'm still here, ready to mentor, cheer, inspire, whatever...

Have a great WEEKEND!

Kristen
2007-06-17 7:31 AM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much but hopefully I'm over the hump.  I need to start doing some serious training for my triathlon in 4 weeks!  I'd love to get ideas about how all of you fit training in around busy lives.  My schedule is going to change (for the better) and be more 8-5, but I'm still working around kid's schedules, etc.  And also I'm hoping to get my kids (and my husband) running a little.  Has anyone else done this!  How do you train with the speed and volume you need to improve, and still get your spouse/kids out there too?  Double workouts?

I noticed that our group had a lot of races yesterday (any more today??).  Go Team !.

2007-06-17 8:02 AM
in reply to: #847368

User image

Champion
momandmd - 2007-06-17 8:31 AM

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much but hopefully I'm over the hump.  I need to start doing some serious training for my triathlon in 4 weeks!  I'd love to get ideas about how all of you fit training in around busy lives.  My schedule is going to change (for the better) and be more 8-5, but I'm still working around kid's schedules, etc.  And also I'm hoping to get my kids (and my husband) running a little.  Has anyone else done this!  How do you train with the speed and volume you need to improve, and still get your spouse/kids out there too?  Double workouts?

I noticed that our group had a lot of races yesterday (any more today??).  Go Team !.

Wow - fitting training into a busy life...I guess my answer is not well and/or I'm incredibly lucky.

Hubby and I usually exercise separately - He gets early morning before work (while I'm getting the girls up and ready, making lunches, etc.). My schedule is more flexible, so during the week, I exercise during work hours... either at lunch or before I get to work or after I leave but before I pick up the girls. On weekends, we often all go to the Y together, the girls go to childwatch and my hubby & I either swim together or work out separately. I also try to get a long run or ride on the weekend, which I do while hubby's at home with the girls (so he can come save me if I get a flat or whatever).

As far as training with the kids, mine are still little, although I'm trying to get the 5 year old entered in a kids race soon. When we first started losing weight, hubby and I tried to run together, but now we have different goals, so it doesn't work to go together. (He sprints and lifts weights, I go for distance.) Now, though, when we swim together, I do usually go out and take a double workout - but I may do those on the weekend anyway.

Glad to hear your schedule is going to settle down. Sorry I can't be much help - I'm sure most people can't exercise during the work day.

Kristen
2007-06-18 6:43 PM

User image

Newberry
Hi I'm back.

The fire is out thanks to the tropical storm that dumped 6 inches of rain. I got to run a few days but didn't get much training in. I also took in enough smoke that it was like smoking for 2 weeks.

How is everyone doing?

2007-06-19 6:01 PM
in reply to: #849643

User image

Champion
tigerrocker1969 - 2007-06-18 7:43 PM

Hi I'm back.

The fire is out thanks to the tropical storm that dumped 6 inches of rain. I got to run a few days but didn't get much training in. I also took in enough smoke that it was like smoking for 2 weeks.

How is everyone doing?

Wow! Glad to have you back...I'm sure your training will come back to you pretty quickly - take it easy the first couple workouts. How long until you race again?

Kristen
2007-06-19 6:18 PM

User image

Newberry
I'm racing on July 14th. I dropped to 3rd in the rankings because of missed race while I was in Ga. I rode my mtn bike for 1.5 hrs and coughed up black stuff the whole time. I did feel pretty good though.

Who else is racing soon?
2007-06-19 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
i have a "practice" tri on july1, then a "real" one on the 22nd.  glad to have you back...not glad to hear about the "black stuff" you coughed up!
2007-06-20 5:53 AM

User image

Expert

Glad that you're back safely!  I hope the black stuff goes away soon.  I'm "racing" July 14th, but the training has been suboptimal so I'm not expecting much .

2007-06-20 9:45 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Welcome back. Glad you're home safe. Good riddance to the gunk you coughed up- I hope the rest of it goes away soon.

2007-06-22 10:42 PM

New user
Portland, OR
Someone recently asked about Total Immersion swimming, and I just saw a thread in the triathlon talk about it. You might want to check it out. I recently got the DVD but I'm thinking a coach is the only way for me.
2007-06-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #856768

User image

Champion
I couldn't follow the book as well as I would have liked, but I heard the DVD was better...I ended up taking 8 weeks of lessons from the Y, which helped alot, but they weren't TI based, just "intermediate" adult lessons.

Kristen
2007-07-09 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
hey guys, i just went to leave some inspires and noticed that karen (momandmd) wrote in her blog today that her father passed away.  please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
2007-07-20 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran

been pretty quite 'round here folks! 

who besides me and kristen is racing this weekend?

thankfully there is supposed to be NO humidity here this weekend so i've got that going for me. 

2007-07-21 8:03 AM

User image

Expert

Hey- thanks everyone for checking in and leaving inspires- even though I wasn't active I was logging on every once and awhile, and it meant alot.  I'm doing better now, and slowly getting back to a "normal" life (with moving in a week it's a little difficult!).  I missed my A race, so now I have to reevaluate and figure out what I want to do next.  I may aim for the Finger Lakes triathlon in September.  For now my goal is to get my running back to baseline (it was going so well!).

Good luck to all the racers this weekend!  Kick some tri butt!

2007-07-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #895286

User image

Newberry
Karen,

I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Michael
2007-07-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #895215

User image

Newberry
Good luck to Carol and Kristen. Sorry I have not posted in a while but my internet is down at my office and I don't have it at the house. I'm at my folks this weekend and thought I would log on. I have been keeping up with my training but just not logging it.

Well my race went well. I finished 2nd in the Clydesdale division just 5 seconds ahead of 3rd. Another 100 feet and he would have passed me. I should be back in 2nd overall just barely ahead of the guy I beat this past race.

I may miss the next race. Just got put on standby to go to forest fires in Utah. If I don't go I'll talk to yall as soon as my internet gets back up.

Michael
2007-09-07 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Hey- how's everyone doing? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mosc11/enders_shadow mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4