Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-17 10:38 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY

NAME: swbkrun/Steve

STORY: Hi I am swbkrun- STEVE I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 7 years. I remember when I was 23 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got sucker into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!! That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 7 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough!

What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married

CURRENT TRAINING: I do anything outdoors. Biking, Running, Hiking, Adventure Racing.. ANYTHING

LAST YEAR'S RACES: A few Olympics, 1 1/2 Ironman, and Ironman Canada

2007 RACES: Main Goal this year is Climbing Mt Rainer, but I am using triathlon to stay in tip-top shape.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am no expert on this.. Just eat smart, and WORK HARD!

2007-05-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: #804614

User image

New user

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY
Hi Steve

My name is Andy George and I would like to join your group. I am 35 and have been only trainning for Tri's this year, I have 1 Sprint under my belt. I need help in all area's. The goal for my 1st tri was to finish, the goals for my future tri's is to finish - faster. I have another sprint in a couple of weeks (june 3) and one planned in August.
2007-05-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: #806165

User image

Pro
Welcome Andy. It's nice to meet you. Where are you from? Congrats on knocking out your first TRIATHLON! Hopefully it went well and you had a "good time (by this I mean FUN!)?" Be sure to use your "LOG" section, so we can look at your workouts in a little more detail... If you need help with this let me know. Again, WELCOME!
2007-05-18 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

Hi Steve, I'd like to join your group.  I like you watched my wife do tris and eventully tried one myself and got hooked a few years ago.  Lately however, I have become more interested in Ultra's, but in Texas they are over for this part of the year (too hot) and I plan on doing at least one HIM this summer to stay in shape for winter running.  My goal is a 100 miler next February to qualify for the WS100.

I have been working a lot since my last race (50 mile ultra) in March.  I can't believe how I struggle now to run 4 miles   I haven't been on my bike outside this year and am a very poor swimmer.

I'll be 40 on Monday, I have 3 kids, a beautiful wife, 3 dogs and various other animals on a small plot of land outside of Waco, TX.

2007-05-18 6:55 PM
in reply to: #807500

User image

Pro
shornick - 2007-05-18 4:17 PM

Hi Steve, I'd like to join your group.  I like you watched my wife do tris and eventully tried one myself and got hooked a few years ago.  Lately however, I have become more interested in Ultra's, but in Texas they are over for this part of the year (too hot) and I plan on doing at least one HIM this summer to stay in shape for winter running.  My goal is a 100 miler next February to qualify for the WS100.

I have been working a lot since my last race (50 mile ultra) in March.  I can't believe how I struggle now to run 4 miles   I haven't been on my bike outside this year and am a very poor swimmer.

I'll be 40 on Monday, I have 3 kids, a beautiful wife, 3 dogs and various other animals on a small plot of land outside of Waco, TX.

1st of Welcome. Sounds like we can stand to LEARN ALOT FROM YOU AND YOUR RUNNING! What is your name? I don't know if I can tell from you login name? The stuggle w/ 4 miles may just be burn out! You probably worked your tale off to get to the 50 miler!!! Happy 40th!
2007-05-18 7:50 PM

Regular
Hi Steve,

If there is still space I would like to join your group. I'm Kelsey (AquaSwim02), 23, live in Seattle, with 1 four-legged, furry child. I'm currently training for my 1st triathlon, which will be the Seafair Tri. I decided to do a triathlon because I have recently gone through some tough times and I decided to do something for myself.

I'm coming into this after 3 years off from a competitive swimming background. I've been trying to keep a pretty consistent training program focusing mainly on running and cycling, as they are me weaker legs. My main goals are just to improve my running & cycling and finish my 1st tri in a decent time!!

~Kelsey

2007-05-19 1:20 PM
in reply to: #807560

User image

Pro
AquaSwim02 - 2007-05-18 5:50 PM

Hi Steve,

If there is still space I would like to join your group. I'm Kelsey (AquaSwim02), 23, live in Seattle, with 1 four-legged, furry child. I'm currently training for my 1st triathlon, which will be the Seafair Tri. I decided to do a triathlon because I have recently gone through some tough times and I decided to do something for myself.

I'm coming into this after 3 years off from a competitive swimming background. I've been trying to keep a pretty consistent training program focusing mainly on running and cycling, as they are me weaker legs. My main goals are just to improve my running & cycling and finish my 1st tri in a decent time!!

~Kelsey

WELCOME! Another Seattle ROCK STAR!! I think I am going to learn more from this group than anything!!

An Ultra Marathoner, A competitive swimmer. Now we just need Lance Armstrong to Join this group and we are set!!! I am going to learn more than you guys are! This is great. Kelsey what part of Seattle are you in? I am in Bellevue, so we can definitely get together for some local training...

Again WELCOME!
2007-05-19 3:47 PM

Regular
Local workouts would be great, except that you could probably kick my butt!!

I'm over in the City, Wallingford to be exact, so I do most of my workouts around here at Greenlake, Burke-Gilman or Leschi!!
2007-05-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: #807529

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

swbkrun - 2007-05-18 6:55 PM

1st of Welcome. Sounds like we can stand to LEARN ALOT FROM YOU AND YOUR RUNNING! What is your name? I don't know if I can tell from you login name? The stuggle w/ 4 miles may just be burn out! You probably worked your tale off to get to the 50 miler!!! Happy 40th!

Slade is my first name - thanks for the birthday wish.  It is going to be a perfect day here in Texas, mid 80's with very little wind.  A good day for a backyard cookout, going to the zoo or just kicking back with my wife and kids.

2007-05-20 11:20 AM
in reply to: #808042

User image

Pro
AquaSwim02 - 2007-05-19 1:47 PM

Local workouts would be great, except that you could probably kick my butt!!

I'm over in the City, Wallingford to be exact, so I do most of my workouts around here at Greenlake, Burke-Gilman or Leschi!!

Kicking butt?? I don't think so.. It is all about getting outdoors... AND IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT PUSHES YOU A LITTLE, IT'LL DO YOU SOME GOOD!

I have long since gotten over the competitive side of racing. I enjoy being in shape, training, and crossing the finish line... You'll be fine!
2007-05-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: #808375

User image

Pro
shornick - 2007-05-20 7:01 AM

swbkrun - 2007-05-18 6:55 PM

Slade is my first name - thanks for the birthday wish.  It is going to be a perfect day here in Texas, mid 80's with very little wind.  A good day for a backyard cookout, going to the zoo or just kicking back with my wife and kids.

WOW! SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE!! I HOPE YOU ENJOY!

Your kids emailed me this picture of you after they wished you HAPPY 40th!!!

(Image-507-Funny-face-Man.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Image-507-Funny-face-Man.jpg (27KB - 76 downloads)

2007-05-20 5:20 PM

User image

Hi Steve,
My name is Mike and I am a 26 year old chiropractic student from Chicago. I was wondering if your mentor group was still open. I began running over a year ago. when my wife told me I would never run. So I tried to prove her wrong and I completed my 1st 8k. Since then I have run multiple 5k, 8k's and even completed the chicago marathon this past october. One thing I always wanted to do even before i began to run was participate in a triathlon. Well yesterday, I actually completed the Galena tri sprint and now I am hooked. I had a blast, but realized i definetly needed some help especially with the swim. One day i would actually like to participate in an ironman.

Mike
2007-05-20 7:13 PM
in reply to: #808747

User image

Pro
outofshapeguy - 2007-05-20 3:20 PM

Hi Steve,
My name is Mike and I am a 26 year old chiropractic student from Chicago. I was wondering if your mentor group was still open. I began running over a year ago. when my wife told me I would never run. So I tried to prove her wrong and I completed my 1st 8k. Since then I have run multiple 5k, 8k's and even completed the chicago marathon this past october. One thing I always wanted to do even before i began to run was participate in a triathlon. Well yesterday, I actually completed the Galena tri sprint and now I am hooked. I had a blast, but realized i definetly needed some help especially with the swim. One day i would actually like to participate in an ironman.

Mike

Of course we have room. Welcome. You have got the right mindset, and good for you for completing your 1st TRIATHLON yesterday! You are a TRIATHLETE! Actions speak louder than words... Especially with our wives!
2007-05-21 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Ooh, can I join in the fun??

I suppose I'm not a true beginner, since I've done a couple tris, but I still feel I have a lot to learn. Currently I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying food science (emphasis on chocolate!). I've been running off and on for 5 years, but only running consistently for about a year. Last April, aggravated by recurring bouts of shin splints, I dusted off an old road bike. Then in July I started swimming again. Did an oly this year - and didn't walk! - and a half marathon a couple weeks ago. Now training for a late summer HIM and a fall marathon.

- Jessi
2007-05-21 4:32 PM
in reply to: #810260

User image

Pro
jesswah - 2007-05-21 12:47 PM

Ooh, can I join in the fun??

I suppose I'm not a true beginner, since I've done a couple tris, but I still feel I have a lot to learn. Currently I'm a grad student at UC Davis studying food science (emphasis on chocolate!). I've been running off and on for 5 years, but only running consistently for about a year. Last April, aggravated by recurring bouts of shin splints, I dusted off an old road bike. Then in July I started swimming again. Did an oly this year - and didn't walk! - and a half marathon a couple weeks ago. Now training for a late summer HIM and a fall marathon.

- Jessi

Welcome JESSI.... You are ready to rock!!!
2007-05-21 4:51 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Hi Steve, my name is Paul I would like to join your group if it's not full yet. I'm all signed up to do my first sprint in July and hoping to do a full in August. I've run 2 marathons, a handfull of halfs, and quite a few shorter distance road and trail runs. I'm very proud of what I've accomplished running and ready for a new challenge. I don't really have any friends who are into triathlons so I've found this website to be a very valuable training resource. Let me know if you have room for another. Thanks.

2007-05-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #810582

User image

Pro
badgerfan - 2007-05-21 2:51 PM

Hi Steve, my name is Paul I would like to join your group if it's not full yet. I'm all signed up to do my first sprint in July and hoping to do a full in August. I've run 2 marathons, a handfull of halfs, and quite a few shorter distance road and trail runs. I'm very proud of what I've accomplished running and ready for a new challenge. I don't really have any friends who are into triathlons so I've found this website to be a very valuable training resource. Let me know if you have room for another. Thanks.

Welcome Paul..

ANOTHER RUNNER IN THE GROUP! AWESOME. I am not sure about your comment. You are doing your first sprint in July, and hoping to do a "FULL" in August? Are you refering to a FULL Ironman or something else? Regardless. Welcome.
2007-05-21 8:56 PM
in reply to: #810605

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Steve, sorry, I meant an olympic distance. I would like to do a full iron man, but I realize I have quite a way to go. I would like to do a few olympic distance triathlons this fall and shoot for the Half Ironman next year, of course that could change depending on how these first couple go. Anyway, I look forward to being a part of the group.
2007-05-23 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Slade how is the new B-DAY PRESENT TREATING YOU? How was the BIG DAY!??
2007-05-23 4:17 PM
in reply to: #813728

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

swbkrun - 2007-05-23 12:52 PM Slade how is the new B-DAY PRESENT TREATING YOU? How was the BIG DAY!??

Good - I have only been on it once, I had to recover from the BDay activities for a day or so.  I should have ridden this morning, but rolled over in bed.

2007-05-23 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

Steve,

Didn't you say you have a computrainer?  If so, is there an easy way to dig out the summary data from the rides.  I exported the ride data, but is was too much detail.

2007-05-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: #814175

User image

Pro
shornick - 2007-05-23 2:18 PM

Steve,

Didn't you say you have a computrainer?  If so, is there an easy way to dig out the summary data from the rides.  I exported the ride data, but is was too much detail.

I do the laziest way and write down the stats afterward, or just add into my "log workouts" section here. Which program are you using? 3D, Group Ride, Time Trial?
2007-05-25 9:12 AM

User image

Orange County
Hi Steve, I would also like to join your group!

My name is Brandon and I am also new to triathlon. A little background on me: I am a 24 year old fulltime college student with a full time job. Just 2 years ago I was 50 pounds heavier and in the worst shape of my life. I was never active growing up, tried baseball, soccer, and basketball and was never good at any of them. I figured I was just not meant to be athletic, but I no clue how much endurance I had.

I recently did my first sprint tri and absolutely loved it! My goal was to simply finish and I did so in 1:21:13 (with knee pain). I have been cycling for almost a year now and have completed a handful of century rides. I also ran my first 1/2 marathon in January of this year.

I am currently recovering from a knee injury (runners knee, it band) because I did not train enough before my 1/2 marathon and now am starting a new program completely from scratch. I have compiled a 46 week base to marathon running schedule which I have been following religiously. I have been pain free for 2 weeks now and am enjoying the mileage build up.

Here's the biggie! I signed up for Ironman Arizona 2008. I know jumping from a sprint to Iron is huge, but I know I can do it! I am currently following the 20week iron plan found here on BT. I plan on signing up for some more sprint, Olympic and HIM before April of next year.

I think I choose Ironman to prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind to. Also, a part of me wants to prove to all those that called me fatty growing up that I am not the same person I used to be! I have committed myself to do it and I'm willing to make the sacrifices to complete it. I will be an Ironman.

Sorry this was so long! I look forward to getting to know you all!

Edited by bzzbenz 2007-05-25 11:26 AM
2007-05-25 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Brandon... Welcome on Board. Hopefully the knee if giving you little or no pain now! I believe that the only way to commit to doing a race like the Ironman is committing! You can always talk about doing it one day, but w/ Ironman signups being so far out you REALLY NEED TO COMMIT! If anyone is like me, whether it cost $10 for a short 5k run, and $500+ for Ironman distance-- IF I PREPAID... I AM COMMITTED! You will do just fine. Even in the brief few words you wrote I can sense the passion and desire. Kudo's to you. AND WELCOME!
2007-05-25 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
I HOPE THAT EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! I AM TAKING THE DAY OFF FROM EXERCISE! TODAY IS A TRAVEL DAY!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY Rss Feed  

of 3