BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-28 7:59 PM
in reply to: #804614

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY
Hi, this looks like a good group... is it still open?

I'm a first time blogger and just finished my first olympic on sunday. I was third in may age group and was pretty happy about that.... I'm looking for tips for a speedy T1. (I was about 2:50).

I'm also hoping that someone will paint a line down the middle of the river, so I can swim in a straight line... seems like a helper.

Regards,
Steve Ebben
[email protected]

2007-06-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: #865301

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
sebben - 2007-06-28 5:59 PM

Hi, this looks like a good group... is it still open?

I'm a first time blogger and just finished my first olympic on sunday. I was third in may age group and was pretty happy about that.... I'm looking for tips for a speedy T1. (I was about 2:50).

I'm also hoping that someone will paint a line down the middle of the river, so I can swim in a straight line... seems like a helper.

Regards,
Steve Ebben
[email protected]

Welcome Steve. We will ALWAY MAKE ROOM! Congrats on the race.. 2:50 is not TOO BAD! Am I safe to ASSUME that you were using a wetsuit?

While painting a line would definitely help out.. I think the only thing to help would be OPEN WATER PRACTICE! That and sitting on someone else's feet?!! BUT LIKE ANYTHING PRACTICE MAKES A DIFFERENCE! We spend a lot of time in the pool's following the black line down the middle.
2007-07-05 3:02 PM

User image

Orange County
Hey Everyone! Hope you all had a great 4th!

Here is a recap yesterdays training log:

3h 9m 11s 63.25 miles 20.06 miles/hr

"Quick group ride to the beach. Almost crashed the Kalibur...Hit a huge bump in the road causing both arms to fly up and threw my body onto the handle bars...saw my life flash before my eyes, but some how pulled it off. Pretty scarry.. made it worse hearing my riding buddies behind me saying "there he goes"... "thats going to hurt"... "ooohhhh" Thanks guys! Thank God I did not fall! I think it is all of the yoga i have been doing. I have pretty good balance now!"

Other than that.. It was nice to have a day off...Had way too much to eat!!!

2007-07-08 11:38 PM

User image

Hey Everyone,
Just checking in here. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Friday, I went for a 14.69 mile ride during the taste of chicago which was not so great of an idea. I'm surprised I didn't crash

Today, I cheered my wife (runningjayhawk.blogspot.com) on at her first triathlon (Danskin Womens Tri) in Wisc. She kicked some butt.

Oh yeah, I just recently signed up for my 1st 70.3 (Florida him in Orlando). I'm pretty excited about.

Well hope you all had a great weekend!

Mike

2007-07-13 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Another week goes by and another weekend of racing approaches! I hope that everyone is doing well, enjoying training, and enjoy the Whole TRIATHLON Experience... Have a great weekend!
2007-07-24 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Everyone doing good???

2007-07-24 11:48 AM

User image

Orange County
Everything is good here. Joined the local tri club last week. I am excited to start training and getting to know everyone.
2007-07-27 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
GUESS WHAT LADIES AND GENT'S IT'S FRIDAY! Time to go grab a glass of wine, play w/ the kids/dogs, race, workout, lounge around, sleep, and relax! I hope everyone has a great weekend. Next post you guys get from me, I will hopefully have been to the summit of Mt. Rainer and back. I am leaving on Wed, and will be pretty busy up until then! I will try to get on BT before I leave! Good luck if you are racing this weekend!
2007-07-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #904454

Hope you had a great hike and hope you made it to the top....and back (more importantly). Is this group full? My husband just introduced me to this site. This looked like the only group that wasn't full or do I need to wait until later?

My name is Amy. I live in Williamsburg, Virginia. I'm 38 and have been running since I was 15. I have never run a marathon. I ran my first half-marathon in Feb of this year...the Colonial Half. I run my own business from home here and I have three kids. I love to swim and my husband is really into biking, so we are looking at a road bike for me. Right now, I have a mountain bike with a baby seat on the back......not so cool for triathlon training.

My husband may do a Half-Iron in September and I may do the run portion or he may do it all himself. I am planning to do a sprint (shorter than sprint actually) tri for women the next day whether I do the run for him or not.

I know I can do the distances for the short race, but I don't know how all the transitions work.
I'd love to hear from other women how this works. I don't think I can run in a wet sports bra and none of the triathlon stuff I have seen looks like anything I could run in.

In any case, please let me know if I can join this group or if there is a different group that has openings.

I've been to Seattle several times, even lived in Burien. My in-laws are in Duvall and Bellingham. It is beautiful out there.

Thanks
Amy

2007-07-29 12:20 AM
in reply to: #905319

User image

Pro
AmyF-VA - 2007-07-28 5:51 PM

Hope you had a great hike and hope you made it to the top....and back (more importantly). Is this group full? My husband just introduced me to this site. This looked like the only group that wasn't full or do I need to wait until later?

My name is Amy. I live in Williamsburg, Virginia. I'm 38 and have been running since I was 15. I have never run a marathon. I ran my first half-marathon in Feb of this year...the Colonial Half. I run my own business from home here and I have three kids. I love to swim and my husband is really into biking, so we are looking at a road bike for me. Right now, I have a mountain bike with a baby seat on the back......not so cool for triathlon training.

My husband may do a Half-Iron in September and I may do the run portion or he may do it all himself. I am planning to do a sprint (shorter than sprint actually) tri for women the next day whether I do the run for him or not.

I know I can do the distances for the short race, but I don't know how all the transitions work.
I'd love to hear from other women how this works. I don't think I can run in a wet sports bra and none of the triathlon stuff I have seen looks like anything I could run in.

In any case, please let me know if I can join this group or if there is a different group that has openings.

I've been to Seattle several times, even lived in Burien. My in-laws are in Duvall and Bellingham. It is beautiful out there.

Thanks
Amy

NO WAY! WE ARE NEVER FULL! OPEN ARMS TO THIS GROUP!!! WELCOME ABOARD! Well although I am not a women I am married to one... And she's a damn good triathlete at that... Try on a couple Tri tops... Se what feels good... Or try a sports bra under a tri top? ??? That is not my department, but women can feel free to CHIME IN! PLEASE!

Today my friend sucker me into having ONE LAST TALK TO THE MOUNTAIN IN WHICH I CLIMB ON THURSDAY! He convinced me to bike from a town outside of National Park to the base of the mountain. 4+ hrs later, 5000 feet of climbing, and 70 miles we made it. I had a little talk w/ Miss MT. RAINER, and I AM READY!! WEATHER PLEASE BE GOOD! HERE ARE SOME OF THE VIEWS, and a copy of the ride...

(0607BER_0244-Sunrise.jpg)

(0607BER_0234-Rainier-Lupine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0607BER_0244-Sunrise.jpg (27KB - 53 downloads)
0607BER_0234-Rainier-Lupine.jpg (90KB - 48 downloads)
2007-07-29 12:22 AM

User image

Pro
and a GPS reading of the ride..

(My Activities 7-28-2007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
My Activities 7-28-2007.jpg (93KB - 85 downloads)

2007-08-20 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
I hope that everyone is doing great. FULL ON INTO YOUR TRI SEASON???? I am heading up to Canada on friday to bike the course (Ironman Canada), jockstrap a few friends, Volunteer @ the finish line, then sign up the next morning for 2008.
2007-09-10 9:29 PM

User image

Hey All, its been awhile since i have checked in, so here I go. Training for the Chicago and New York marathons haven't really been going so well. In the past month, I ran a half marathon, finally graduated from chiropractic school, went on a graduation/wedding anniversary cruise, and have studied and taken my national boards for licensing. So training has kind of been neglected with all the craziness going on.

But with all of that out of the way, I finally have time to get back on the ball. Tomorrow, I plan on doing my 16 miler, with the dreaded 20 right around the corner. My wife and I also signed up for an advanced swim class starting in September.

Lastly, yesterday I actually signed up for my first full IM(Louisville). I am pretty nervous/ excited about the adventure i am about to undertake.

Hope you are doing great.

Mike

Edited by outofshapeguy 2007-09-10 9:30 PM
2007-09-11 10:11 AM
in reply to: #959272

User image

Pro
outofshapeguy - 2007-09-10 7:29 PM

Hey All, its been awhile since i have checked in, so here I go. Training for the Chicago and New York marathons haven't really been going so well. In the past month, I ran a half marathon, finally graduated from chiropractic school, went on a graduation/wedding anniversary cruise, and have studied and taken my national boards for licensing. So training has kind of been neglected with all the craziness going on.

But with all of that out of the way, I finally have time to get back on the ball. Tomorrow, I plan on doing my 16 miler, with the dreaded 20 right around the corner. My wife and I also signed up for an advanced swim class starting in September.

Lastly, yesterday I actually signed up for my first full IM(Louisville). I am pretty nervous/ excited about the adventure i am about to undertake.

Hope you are doing great.

Mike

Holy crap.. I ran out of breath just reading this.. You have been a busy boy. ALL WITH GREAT EXCITING STUFF! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

AND LASTLY... AUGUST 31 2008 is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!

My VP of my company decided to sign up for that race as well. He has NEVER DONE A TRI BEFORE, but his 2 younger brothers "SUCKERED" him in to it... I don't get it, but I am excited for him! BIG KAHONA'S THAN I HAVE!!

HOPE ALL IS WELL! I am doing my very 1st tri (and last-- short season in Seattle) this sunday... I can't believe it has been so long... But given the summer I had (knee surgery, and climbing Mt. Rainer) I am ok with it.. I just need to TRY MY WETSUIT ON before Sunday and make sure it still fits!

Hope everyone is good!
2007-09-11 12:43 PM

User image

Orange County
Awesome Mike!!! I am sure you will do great! Good luck with your training.
2007-09-17 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
FINALLY ON THE BOARD W/ A RACE THIS YEAR!!! FELT GOOD TO BE OUT RACING AGAIN!!
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2007-09-17 9:29 PM

User image

Orange County
Awesome Steve!!! Good to see you back in action!!! Bet it felt great!
2007-10-05 11:57 PM

User image

Hey All, just wanted to check in. I will be running the Chicago Marathon this weekend, and hope it goes well. The weather is going to be kinda warm, but its not really bothering me yet.

Other than that, just saw the indy movie "Spirit of the Marathon" and it was awesome. If any of you have a chance to see it, definitely do.

Hope you all are kicking butt!
2007-10-08 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
WELLL????? HOW THE HECK DID IT GO!?!?!
2007-10-08 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Well last Thursday night a friend of mine, and I decided to sign up for THE NORTH FACE ENDURANCE CHALLENGE (they have a 50 miler, 50k, 1/2 marathon, and 10k). We decided to do the 1/2 marathon. HOLY CRAP! There was not but maybe 1 mile of flat ground through out the entire race. It was ALL TRAIL. Raining and windy! Dean Karnazes (sp?) was there racing as well! It was a GREAT EVENT set up nicely w/ CLASS A PEOPLE! Highly recommend people trying this event out when it comes to your city. http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/

Winner I believe came in @ 2:05 for the 1/2 marathon! I think it took us around 2:45, and that was BRUTAL! But it was a ton of fun! GOOD TIMES!
2007-10-11 6:53 PM

User image

Well the Chicago marathon was as bad as it sounded. I finished an hour after my goal, which really wasn't a big deal. I'm just glad i finished, because many didn't. Runners of all calibers were down everywhere. It was just really messed up. The hydration stations were pretty empty like they said on the news. Thank god for the spectators and the people of the city of chicago, because they really came through. I'm just glad its over.

For my full mile by mile recap, go to my blog at:
http://outofshapeguy.blogspot.com/2007/10/chicago-marathon-2007.htm...

Edited by outofshapeguy 2007-10-11 6:54 PM

2008-01-28 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Hope all is well w/ everyone!?!?!
2008-01-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1180208

User image

Orange County
Hey All,

Update!

I just got back from my weekend in Tempe... Went down to check out the course and explore Arizona a bit. I met up with some riders at Tribe Multisport and road 94 miles of the course. I walked a portion of the run loop with my girlfriend when I first got there and then peddle boated in Tempe Town Lake. ( wanted to get the perspective of being in the water.) I guess they do not allow swimming in the lake during the winter. Since I couldn't swim in the lake, I swam at the local 24 hour fitness in Tempe. It was a nice trip and i got a lot of training in. It was nice/scary to see where I am going to be doing the hardest thing i have ever done in my life.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Brandon
2008-02-14 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Hi Steve,

I am hoping you might have a few more spaces available in the team (if you are going to continue with it in 2008).

NAME: Ben

Story: While it's been a good ten years since I last competed, I decided this year was as good as any to return to the sport.

My motivation to train is a combination of desire to compete, along with a weight-loss / toning goal. I let too many years go by, with too many bottles of wine and good dinners accumulate Now it's the challenge to undo the damage and get back into shape.

My strength is in the run (or was... need to build that back up!), but I am committed to working my swim strokes and learn the mechanics of cycling.

GOAL: Drop my weight from the November 2007 high (227) down to the 170s. Currently with my modified (re: nutrition and serving appropriate) diet I am just about to pass 200 for the first time since 2003.

I am signed up for three sprints and two Olympic distance races this year (along with a trail HM and road HM), with my long term goal of doubling the number of my races for 2009, adding a full marathon. 2010 will hopefully see the introduction of one or two HIM races along with a fuller complement of Olys.

IM Kona is on my mind every time I get in the pool, sit on a bike, or lace up my shoes. I hope to make it there some day.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (3 and 1)

TRAINING: Slated to start Monday on the 20-week Olympic 3x Balanced (which should help me keep better track of my workouts online!)

I hope you have room, and I look forward to meeting all of the other team members!

Edited by MoquiVA 2008-02-14 3:33 PM
2008-02-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1212894

User image

Pro
MoquiVA - 2008-02-14 1:32 PM

Hi Steve,

I am hoping you might have a few more spaces available in the team (if you are going to continue with it in 2008).

NAME: Ben

Story: While it's been a good ten years since I last competed, I decided this year was as good as any to return to the sport.

My motivation to train is a combination of desire to compete, along with a weight-loss / toning goal. I let too many years go by, with too many bottles of wine and good dinners accumulate Now it's the challenge to undo the damage and get back into shape.

My strength is in the run (or was... need to build that back up!), but I am committed to working my swim strokes and learn the mechanics of cycling.

GOAL: Drop my weight from the November 2007 high (227) down to the 170s. Currently with my modified (re: nutrition and serving appropriate) diet I am just about to pass 200 for the first time since 2003.

I am signed up for three sprints and two Olympic distance races this year (along with a trail HM and road HM), with my long term goal of doubling the number of my races for 2009, adding a full marathon. 2010 will hopefully see the introduction of one or two HIM races along with a fuller complement of Olys.

IM Kona is on my mind every time I get in the pool, sit on a bike, or lace up my shoes. I hope to make it there some day.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (3 and 1)

TRAINING: Slated to start Monday on the 20-week Olympic 3x Balanced (which should help me keep better track of my workouts online!)

I hope you have room, and I look forward to meeting all of the other team members!

NOT A PROBLEM, However this thread isn't too active anymore... Jump over to this one... and I will cut and past your nice long story for everyone to read....

Thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP-MAY Rss Feed  

of 3