General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best winter cycling clothes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-13 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: Best winter cycling clothes?

As autumn is definitely here in the UK already, with strong winds and the amazing summer rain looking set to continue, my thoughts have turned to how to extend my cycling time as much as possible. While I have a turbo trainer, I really want to try and get as many miles on the real roads as possible so need some warm clothes.

What do you experienced winter cycles recommend as essential and nice to have's? I'm only talking about daylight cycling and not severe weather, but no doubt can expect to get caught in showers etc.

I currently have only thin synthetic leggings which are more run than cycle, a short sleeve summer jersey, a  fleecy zipped long sleeve jersey and a very loose MTB style Pertex wind/showerproof shell, but this really flaps a lot and is something of a parachute on the road, but can be folded very small and tucked in a rear pocket!

Edited by Bigpikle 2004-09-13 10:18 AM

2004-09-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: #60769

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Best winter cycling clothes?

I have a jacket by Gore that I got a few years ago. It has a windstopper front and sleves, but the back is lycra.

I also have a lightweight vest by NorthFace (I believe it's called the trail vest)

A pair of fleece (polartec) socks is in my kit too

these are tree of my favorite cool/cold weather pieces

I also reccommend some arm warmers. In conjunction with the light vest and a pair of tights, I can start in the morning when it's pretty chilly and shed layers as the day heats up.

2004-09-14 3:28 AM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks

Whats the deal with overshoes - are they just for the wet?

2004-09-14 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
I have some of the same questions regarding what's really practical when riding in the cooler weather. Someone mentioned tights. Do you use cycling specific tights or do you do something like wear running tights over or under your cycling shorts? Also, what sort of gloves are necessary when temps get down towards 50 degrees F?

Tommy
2004-09-14 7:43 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
what, i thought i was in minnesota! bad-dum-bum :-O

three words - wind stopper fleece

my favorite winter cycling items include my patagonia wind stopper fleece tights (i have 3 pair, since i used to commute year round). mine are older, but the 'wind shield tight' would be comparable. i also love my marmot wind stopper gloves for the cold, but not freezing, days. they are very light weight, but keep my hands plenty warm. for the days when its almost too cold to even bike -> pearl izumi lobster gloves. good wool socks (anything that works for xc skiing will work well for winter biking), fleece beanie to go under your helmet, or balaclava (two weights, one for cool days, one for cold days). eye wear (clear or amber, for low light). i would also recommend putting a couple hand warmers in with your spare tube and tire irons. changing a flat in the freezing cold is NOT fun. being able to warm up your hands enough to do the job can really save the day.

and don't forget reflectors! blinky lights! headlamp or handle bar light.
2004-09-14 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
England

I'm thinking winter tights/bib tights for the legs. I've used running tights and cycle shorts when it is a bit cold but I dont think they'd do it for me when its really cold & windy.

I looked at the Buffalo cycle shirt, made in Scotland and I think hard to get in the US, but it goes against the standard layer idea and is worn next to the skin as a single garment - see below for info. Gets rave reviews over here.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/dp6.htm

Otherwise will layer with a windproof shell on the outside. I think my hands and feet will be the worst affected. I used to do  lot of winter MTB'ing and really struggled with that, so need some good windproof gloves, overshoes and probably some sort of beanie as well!

Beginning to wonder if its all worth it!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best winter cycling clothes? Rss Feed