General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm crazy, but I'm gonna do it anyway Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-19 9:53 PM

Subject: I'm crazy, but I'm gonna do it anyway
So I've decided to do one of these! I might be completely crazy, but I'm sure that's what many people think at first. I just got a road bike (been riding a hybrid) and felt as though I needed to "accomplish" something. I've never really run and it's been a long time since I've swam, but I'm not in it to win it or worried about times, etc. I just want to finish it to say that I did. And if it's fun, then maybe I'll do it again I'm just doing a sprint- it's in mid August.

I used to be a dancer, and was never really into "sports" as a kid/teen (though I did ride my bike a lot), and so many people assume that I'm not strong, that I'm prissy, that I "can't hack it" when it comes to "real" sports. Which is not true at all. And though it will be fun to prove all the naysayers wrong (if only I still spoke to the ex who was a nationally ranked triathlete in his late teens/early 20s), I also want to prove it to myself. I went swimming for the first time in ages on Thursday, and I did pretty well, considering. I actually seemed to get better (be able to go longer without stopping) the longer I was in the pool.

So I plan to start a training program first thing on Monday and that will give me 12 weeks until the race. Since I don't care about times, etc, I think I should be all right. I'm sure there are the purists on here who laugh quietly at the silly newbies, but I'm not bothered by that at all It's not about winning for me. I just want to do it.

2007-05-20 12:30 AM
in reply to: #808251

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: RE: I'm crazy, but I'm gonna do it anyway

Hey wurkit girl,

You've found a great resource here at BT.  You can absolutely do it and everybody here will help you.  Good luck with your training.  If you follow any of the plans available here on the site, you will be well prepared for your first race.

Welcome!

2007-05-20 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

No, you're not crazy at all.  It sounds to me like you'll probably do great.  If you've been a dancer, then surely you are athletic and disciplined.

Have fun! 

Kim 

2007-05-20 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Ha, Ha , Ha you are crazy for doing this.  Oh heck,  I was thinking of myself.  Congrats for giving Tri a try and look out it can be addictive.  No one on here is addicted, but I have heard it can be.
2007-05-20 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Wurkit gurl!

All I can say is that you are in the best place possible if you are just getting started. I myself just found this site about 3 weeks ago and I started training two weeks ago for my first Tri also in Mid August. The support from this site is awesome! As for being crazy, well I don't know about that, but I can understand what you mean about the naysayers. I have had plenty of my friends laugh at me when I told them I was going to be doing a Tri in August. When I am having a particularly tough hill on a ride, or my legs just don't want to work well during a run...I think of them laughing at me and I know I am going to prove them wrong....and so will you!

Good luck in your training and don't stress if you miss a workout here and there....life happens, just as long as it doesn't happen to often. :D

-Eric
2007-05-21 5:41 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

Crazy??? Heck no!  You'll be 'normal'.  Welcome to immortality! Leave that mortal status behind you and come play with us!!

Welcome to BT!!Cool

2007-05-21 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Northern California
welcome to bt. stick to a training plan and have fun watching your body become something others look at in awe. i challenge you to find a nicer more helpfull group than the people here. good luck and happy training
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm crazy, but I'm gonna do it anyway Rss Feed