General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-13 3:32 PM

Regular
Subject: Hey Folks!
Hi Everyone!

This site is very impressive. I also like how supportive and motivating everyone is. Any time I need a little kick in the pants all I have to do is come to this section and read about all the other folks just like me trying to improve themselves!!!

Anyway, I’ve decided to set the goal of completing a sprint triathlon in the spring and following it up with an Olympic distance triathlon in the summer. Up until recently I was playing for the Canadian Women’s National Soccer Team so I have a fairly good base of strength and endurance. I have always been an avid mountain biker so the bike aspect shouldn’t take too much of an adjustment. As for the swimming…that’s a different story. I can swim quite well, but it will take some time to get my conditioning for this part of the triathlon up to par.

I’ve always been very interested in mutisport events and am very excited to start participating in them. Playing soccer at that level and going to university to complete my engineering degree didn’t really leave much time for anything else. Now that I have graduated and “retired” from soccer I have the time and the motivation to pursue some of my other goals!

Now for some advise if you all don’t mind:

My plan is to start with a 4 month training program for a sprint distance triathlon followed by a little break before I continue my training with an Olympic distance training program (4 months). At this point I am hoping to do a sprint distance triathlon so I am a little more comfortable with the logistic of a race before I throw myself into the Olympic distance. I know I will be able to finish the Olympic distance, but before I go at it I though it might be smart to do a dry run on a shorter distance.

Based on my background and the plan I have presented I was hoping a few of you could provide some suggestions?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing about everyones success!
Katie

Edited by kjlee8 2004-09-13 3:45 PM

2004-09-13 4:34 PM
in reply to: #60956

User image

Regular
Marble Falls, TX
Subject: RE: Hey Folks!
A soccer lady huh... lady after my own heart :-) ... I am a avid soccer player myself not quite your level... But grew up in England... that should explain that :-)

I dont have any personal experience on this only from what I have seen. There are many duathlons which are 2 events sometimes like a run bike/run/ bike or swim/Bike..etc I am wanting to do a couple of those before I tackle a tri, as soon as my Achelles is back... also I have seen some open water swim groups like training triathletes, looking for people to swim with them(in Texas)... I am not sure about Calgary... I am a newbie to this as well, these are things I have heard about, not experienced yet...
I wish you all the best on your Tri treck...

Scottus
2004-09-13 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome.  u have a good plan and u have s solid foundation to start.  just get in that pool and maybe get a few lessons at first.

good luck.

2004-09-13 8:04 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey Folks! Rss Feed