General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtrained? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-21 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: Overtrained?

I've been on a training program steadily since Nov. '06. Started with 20 weeks of a Half Ironman aggressive plan, and now i'm 6 weeks into a Ironman plan that has me doing 12 workouts a week- two a day for six days, one day rest.

The last few weeks have left me feeling very fatigued. By Friday I feel exhausted, Saturday long rides are very difficult and my Sunday long runs are even tougher. I think i'm overtrained at the moment, and my body is screaming for rest. Okay, no problem- how much rest? For how long? I race Alcatraz 6/1/07, so how do I approach resting, tapering and being ready for that race?

2007-05-22 7:32 AM
in reply to: #810036

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Overtrained?
Take this with a grain of salt, since I have no experience coaching for such long distances (though I did coach high school track and cross country, and did have several students with "overtraining" issues... actually more often "too much too soon" issues).

But I find that adding a second rest day REALLY makes a difference. I personally like to spread mine out (Sunday and Wednesday on my current plan)... but I have had some athletes respond well to two in a row. There's no getting around it - 12 workouts a week is A LOT for the body to take.

You don't have to be inactive... just go for a walk or a really gentle swim on the second rest day. But I would consider adding a second day with no running or cycling... since those seem to be the disciplines that cause you the greatest fatigue.

hth,
Josh
2007-05-22 11:45 AM
in reply to: #810036

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Overtrained?
Probably best to upgrade your membership and get in touch with the coaches to help you out. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtrained? Rss Feed