General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 22s
Overall Rank = 310/440
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 22/48
Pre-race routine:

Had a handful of cereal and a breakfast bar with coffee before leaving the house. Drank a little Gatorade on the way. Another pad fell off of my aerobars on the drive (I had to replace one after my Saturday ride). I found a washcloth to use as a pad and Jenna rounded up some duct tape for me. It wasn't pretty, but it was better than going with no padding at all. On my way into transition, I ran into Tom (triguyfitz), who was already set up. He had a marker so I did his body marking. I got my area set up - much more organized than last year. It love the new t-bag! It kept everything organized so I set up my area easily. I even had checklists of things that I would do for each transition.
Event warmup:

No warmup done. Talked to Tom a little and said hello to Tanya (StandsWithFist). I then waited in the swim corral until race time - Jenna joined me for a few minutes. Things seemed awfully confused at the swim start. No one could hear the announcements, and the sprint course had an unusual shape (diagonals instead of traditional rectangles). I was hanging out with the other Clydes and the Athenas, and they tend to be pretty laid back, so it was a nice way to calm the nerves before the swim. I was also one of the more experienced people around, which made me feel better.
Swim
  • 13m 48s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim, as always, was a problem, although slightly better than my last. I panicked at the beginning when I got hit in the face, and couldn't swim with my face in the water after that. It took me nearly 300 meters to calm down and it was nearly over by then. I swam a little side stroke trying to calm down and finally settled into me open water version of freestayle. I didn't need to stop when I rounded the corners which saved a little time, but it was a struggle. If there was an encouraging thing, it was that I had to pass a couple of people - I don't think that has happened before, and I didn't re-panic when other waves began.
What would you do differently?:

Practice, practice, practice in open water. Also, go under water a few more times at the beginning (simple bob drill) to get used to the water and feel comfortable at the start. I also could have benefitted by getting a little further away from the fray.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Overall, a good transition. I wasn't wobbly after the swim, so I was able to run to transition. The wetsuit came off without too much difficulty. I had a little trouble finding my bike. I went through my checklist (which was helpful). Got dressed for the bike fairly quickly and was off. Getting on the bike, I had some trouble clipping in. That will come with practice. It was really the first time I took a running start on the new bike and tried to clip in.

Force myself to drink more. Hydration became an issue later in the race, and it started here. I don't drink unless I feel like need to, but I need to break that habit. It was even on my checklist, but I only took a sip. I should also have paid more attention to the tranition area layout so I could find the bike without having to think about it. I could also have practiced running onto the bike, although I don't think I lost much time there.
Bike
  • 35m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

With the new bike under me, I really wanted to push. I really had a fast leg, but it killed me later on the run. I was pretty fast and I did a lot of passing. I really felt for the people on the mountain bikes, having been there and knowing how hard they were working. I mashed the entire way. even though I have been working on cadence over the last week or so, I just wanted to go my fastest. In this case, it meant going for less rpms at a higher gear. I'll continue to work on spinning so I can have the same speed with less effort and a higher cadence. When I saw my speed consistently between 20 and 21 mph, I knew I had a chance to average 20+ for the race, which I was able to do. There was one guy I kept passing and he kept passing me back. I felt like telling him not to worry, that he would pass me for good on the run. I knew at that point that the run would be a struggle.

DRINK MORE. I was starting to deplete myself at this point but didn't realize it until it was too late. I need to work on spinning a little more so I can save my legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I did pretty well in this transition with everything that was within my control. There was someone in front of me walking their bike into transition and I could not get around them. That slowed me down considerably. The change into running gear was quick, but I should have taken a little more time to collect myself. I wasn't quite ready for the run when I started.

DRINK MORE. There was only water at the aid stations on the run course, so this was my last chance at replacement drink. I should have really drank more Gatorade. Waking up my leg muscles somehow would have also helped!
Run
  • 34m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run hit me harder than I ever expected. My running has improved more in the past couple of months than any other discipline, but it didn't translate at all in this race. There were a few factors. I might have messed up Sunday's run as early as Saturday morning. I did a 20 mile ride and two mile run (trying to work on the bike/run transition). Bad idea. By the time I got to this point in the race, my legs were dead. I knew I was going much slower than my training pace, which frustrated me, but seeing my HR hover around the high 160s, I knew that I couldn't push harder. I just didn't have anything left. I was hot, dehydrated, and tired. I really didn't think that I would get passed much on the run and even felt like I had found a faster gear during training. However, when push came to shove, I was getting passed and I couldn't do anything about it. The new gear was not going to emerge in this race. There were two highlights on the run. I saw Tom on his way to the finish (he was awesome yesterday - send him an inspire if you get a chance) and that picked me up a little. I also got to talking to someone who later turned out to be Josh (Robot) from BT. It was unusual for me to meet someone during a race and it was even more unusual that we have friends in common. He has been added to my friends list and I am sure we'll be seeing each other at future races. He passed me and finished 11 seconds ahead of me. It was his first tri and he did great!

HYDRATE!!! I also need to brick more in hotter conditions. My legs were not ready for the run and I really want my training to be reflected on race day. If I ran half as well as I have been training lately, I would have been ecstatic with the race. Unfortunately, I ran out of gas.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank plenty of gatorade/vitamin water (they were giving it away). Had half a bagel and a half a banana. My stomach started feeling queasy and I was shaky. I have never been that woozy after a race before. I think I was dehydrated. I hung out with Jenna (my wife), Tom, Josh, Tanya, and Jen (SportyJ) until they allowed the sprinters to get our bikes out of transition (they wouldn't let anyone into the area until the Oly group all started the run). Being weak and not feeling well, I am sure I wasn't very good company.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I bonked during the run, so I needed to control my fluid/nutrition intake better. I also should have carried a gel with me - it may have upset my stomach, but it also may have helped. I might have pushed too hard on the bike and had no legs for the run, but in a sprint race, I should have been able to push all the way. I think I was properly trained, but this race was a great learning experience for me. I think I learned about race strategy more than I have ever needed to before. I'll know in the future how better to deal with my body when it is not having its best day. I'll also know better how to prevent my body from having one of those days.

Event comments:

I had fun at the event, and it had highs and lows. It seemed a little disorganized, but it didn't affect my enjoyment too much. I was disappointed with my run, thrilled with my bike, and frustrated with my swim. I met some great people, saw some great people I already know, and it was a beautiful day. I learned about race strategy/management and it will help me be better in the future. All races are special in one way or another, and I feel like I grew because of this one. As a matter of perspective, just last September, I was just enjoying the scenery. In some ways, it's a loss of innocence since it is not brand new anymore. I feel like I have progressed now to a point where I can critique my performance, see the good and the bad and the opportunity for improvement. I am no longer simply satisfied to drag myself across the finish line. However, I know now that even without the newness, I enjoy this sport and since I can constantly strive to get better, it will not get boring. It's progress, and I feel in some ways I have graduated to a different phase. I tri again in three weeks with the Zoot Sprint at Lake Pleasant. That will be a wild one, and I will really need to apply what I learned in Tempe on Sunday.

Last updated: 2007-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:48 | 437 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/48
Overall: 0/440
Performance: Below average
Heart went into the 160s at the beginning and didn't really come down
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Strange triangle - out to one point, across to another, under a bridge and directly in.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:16 | 12.43 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/48
Performance: Good
Averaged about 160 HR for the bike. I was pushing but not out of control
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat with a short incline that slowed me down to 12-14 mph. I had to do two laps for the sprint.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 65
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:02 | 03.11 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/48
Performance: Bad
Hreat rate high for the entire run. Could not get it to come down
Course: Gravel and dirt path - flat, but no shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: #810182

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon
Great RR and congrats on another race finish! That's what this thing is all about, experiment and learn from each race. Good luck on the remainder of your races this year.
2007-05-21 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I am so happy that I have monday's off- I get to read everyones RR's.

Great job out there Brian, you just keep improving every race. Your OWS is so much better, and not panicking is the key. I am so glad your new bike is working out for you- I know how long and hard you thought about it before buying You were so fast on the bike!

I hear ya on the run. I really struggled last week. You will do great at Zoot.

2007-05-21 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Great job and great RR. Don't be too hard on yourself - the run was very diificult due to the heat and the the course (loose gravel maintenance road). It's actually a benefit that you can critique yourself harder and it will help you improve. Oh yeah, the 20 mile ride/2mile run brick probably wasn't the smartest thing to do....
2007-05-21 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Good meeting you out on the course. Damn you were cranking on the bike. Don't you just love new bikes? Good race and definitely a good learning experience.
2007-05-21 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Great job Brian. I'm glad the new bike worked out so well. A lot of us blew up on the run with it being so hot yesterday. You also do a good job of maintain your HR I saw190 when I left the swim and averaged 177 for the whole race!

2007-05-21 5:37 PM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Great job out there! The heat is a killer as I learned last weekend in the Tri for the Cure. Had to sit this one out. Way to finish the swim!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed