General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice - Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-13 8:52 PM

Subject: Advice - Injury
Hi everyone,
would like to ask advice. I have been training all out for my first ever triathalon, a half iron man that is now 3 1/2 weeks ago.
About 3 weeks ago started having medial knee pain - seems to come from insertion of the medial quads, but now around the patella tendon area as well. Wasn't too bad and was training anyway. Then we did our tt's. Have improved greatly, but my knee is showing strain. Then last weekend (sat) we did a trial run of the course (just the swim and bike) - and I did pretty good (was not racing, just pacing myself) - but the knee wasn't happy. Then Sun we did a 20 km bike TT - again I did great, but the knee did not.
Am icing and resting and anti-inflamatories and focusing on swimming these few days. I do not want to miss this race that I have been training so hard for, nor do I want to end up doing the race but then being in rehab for months afterwards.

Our coach reckons it was the bike seat - it moved, but we have readjusted everything now. Haven't tried biking for two days, so don't know yet if that will help. The organiser (my friend and experienced triathlete) says work within limits of pain and take it easy - that I am fit enough to do the race, so just try to maintain what I have now rather than push.

Haven't seen a physio or sports med dr. I live in Philippines and don't know where to find one. But can ask around.

3 1/2 weeks and counting!

Any advice?

Sally

2004-09-13 11:51 PM
in reply to: #61144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Advice - Injury
Keep up the ice and anti-inflamatories! When you are finished for the season, you can do your own "rehab" by stabilizing the knee joint. Since you have now felt pain in 2 different places, that seems to mean that it's not an acute injury...more of a strain on the knee caused by imbalance. Hit the weight room, keep the quad (all sides) and the hamstring balanced! Also, STRETCH!

I hope that you are able to heal enough in time for your race...keep at it! You can do it!
2004-09-14 12:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
i went to the dr. for knee pain a few weeks ago and she suggested a neoprene brace in addition to the ice and anti-inflamatories. i tried it a couple times and it was good support. i haven't worn it lately and i've been fine, so i think i may have been doing too much for a while and a little rest has helped it.
2004-10-08 5:49 AM

New user

Hi Sally,
Sorry for the late posting but I am new to the sight and have some advice you may want to try. I am a physio and one thing you learn when you know about the knee is medial knee pain can be several very different things. Is the medial pain just medial to the patella tendon insertion? If so, it may actually be coming from your medial hamstring group and not the quads. I bring this up because straight leg raises or putting your knee over a basketball and straightening the knee will increase quad strength but do nothing for the hamstrings. Try adding hamstring strengthening to your program and try it with rotating the foot inward (it helps target the medial group). Work both the quads and the hamstrings and you should recover-if not then I'd see someone who can diagnose it. The hamstring problem is not as common as patella femoral pain syndrome but is easily misdiagnosed. Good luck.

Gare
2004-10-09 5:35 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Since your race is only 3 1/2 weeks away, I would definately keep your running to a minimum (just enough to tone and and maintain).  Hopefully, your biking does not also continue to cause you pain.

Do you have access to a gym that would have an elliptical trainer?  Something to keep you working your running and cardio, without as much pounding?

I have struggled through similar situations this year.  Unless you just cannot compete without doing serious damage to yourself, I say pace yourself, take it easy, and show up on race day and do your best.  You can always shut it down if it is not working out for you.  But if you do not show up and try, you will be miserable.

Good Luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Dan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice - Injury Rss Feed