General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting nervous about swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-22 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Getting nervous about swimming
I am sure I have nothing to worry about, but it is just in my personality to worry.... I have come along way, at least I think so, in the last couple of weeks with my swim. I started out not being able to swim with my head in the water and wasting a tun of energy just trying to swim 25yds. Now I am swimming with my head in the water, breathing is going better and I am upto swimming 100yds at a time with a minute or so break in between "sets".

My concern is just that though. I have to take a break or breather in between 100yds in order to get through my swims. I know my tri isn't until mid-August and I have plenty of time to work on endurance, but I am extremely worried that I will not be able to swim the 880yds for my swim.

For those that can remember, what was your progression like in swimming when you first got started? I do have a few open water swims schedules at a friends camp on a lake that is near by in July and early August, just so I can get a feel for what it is going to be like. I realize that it doesn't matter how I swim, just that I get it done, but I really don't want to be completely zapped of all energy before I even get out of the water. :D

Just me worried....
-Eric

2007-05-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #811527

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: Getting nervous about swimming

swimming is funny sometimes... once you can get past that 100yard mark it seems like all of a sudden you can do 200 or 300 in no time at all.  

Keep up the good work and you'll be there before you know... trust yourself and your body..

2007-05-22 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
It comes along eventually. Just keep going. Keep trying for longer distances. Try relaxing and swimming slower when you want to increase your distance. That worked for me.
2007-05-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #811536

Champion
South Jersey

Hey, yesterday I ate a Dove dark chocolate and the inside of the wrapper said this:

"If they can do it, you know you can."

I think that wisdom applies here .

You'll be fine, you have plenty of time to get ready for the swim and as John said, once you get over your first major hurdle all the other hurdles seem so much easier.

2007-05-22 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Are you a Virgo, too?

It looks like from your logs that you've just started logging your training.  I started swimming in ernest last December.  I was like you ... I'd flail myself from one end to another.  I think my time on  my swim for my first mock tri was 15 minutes for 400 meters, including hanging off the side and gasping. 

Since then, while I'm not a great swimmer, I did complete St. A's in April.  44 minutes for 1500 meters, but I did it consistently without having to hang onto a buoy or a kyak.

It sounds like you've got a good strategy - pool swims with some OWS opportunities.  Keep at it.  I wish that I had done some more mock OWS as I sort of lost it at this past weekends Sprint.  But, hey.  Is what it is.  What has helped me is to practice bilateral breathing every third stroke, but to also practice breathing with every stroke.  You might want to mix up your breathing while doing your OWS to make sure you know you can breath easily.  I still have to mentally prepare myself for the fact that anything can happen in the OWS.  Light chop, heavy waves ... .  But it sounds like you'll have the endurance you need doing what your doing.

Keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK!

2007-05-22 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
When I first started 2 years ago could barely do 50 Mtrs it took weeks of practice on form etc until I could do 4-5 lengthe then I got the feel for relaxing doing 15-16 stokes per length slowed my breathing down and then the laps just started to accumulate soon I was doing 30-40 length non-stop. It really comes down to relaxing, slowing down the stroke as slow as you can and stretching the glide maximize distance minimize effort, build the distance first then the speed will come with muscle development and form improvement. My first Mini tri I did the 375 mtr in 16.5 Min my last one I did it in 8 min. So it will come there is a magic turning point once you get it right where you find that you can just keep going.... Hang in there we have all been there and come through it. What style /philosophy of swim stroke are you following.

2007-05-22 12:14 PM

User image

Broomfield, CO
I just started swimming in April and my experiences sound much like yours. I didn't know how to swim with my face in the water, was really out of breath after just 25 yards, etc. Now, almost 2 months later, I am now capable of swimming over 300 yards without feeling all that winded. I spend a lot of time doing Total Immersion drills and swimming super slow. That has made all the difference for me. My frist tri is a pool swim - only 300 yards. My second tri in July is in open water and 1/2 mile. I definitely have my work cut out for me, but I know it's possible. If I can swim, anyone can - seriously! Good luck and just keep swimming.
2007-05-22 12:38 PM

User image

NY
Keep at it. Sometimes you'll surprise yourself, get in a groove and jump up a few hundred meters. Last night I set my mind to it that I'm going to try the full 800m that I'll have to do for my race in July. Previously the longest I had swam at one time was 200m, but I did it - all 800m. Slow and steady, focused on breathing and next thing you know, I did it. (My sister did lap me twice though.) You can do it!
2007-05-22 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
I know what you are going through. I started last year swimming thinking before my first lap that this would be my easiest segment based on my experiences as a child. Well after my first time swimming in a pool in a very long time I came home and was ready to quit. I described my first time in the pool more of a controlled drowning than an actual swim. After much trial and error and reading everything there was on swimming I took a Total Immersion swim clinic one weekend. It helped more than I thought possible. With the clinic as a base and time in the pool I steadily improved. Now I can swim 850yds without a problem. One tip I can give is to remain as calm and relaxed as possible. Take the race slow and steady and you will be fine.
2007-05-22 1:25 PM

User image

Brownsburg, IN
EABonney~

I am about exactly where you are, you can see in my logs the first time I swam just about 10 days ago. I'm currently only about to crawl for 75 meters before switching to side stroke and feeling like someone took all my air. So I would say compared to me you are doing excellent, and from what everyone is saying we will both be doing fine here soon.

Good luck with your training!!!

2007-05-22 8:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone for such positive responses. I figured it was all in my head, but I guess because the swim is my weakest of the three events...I am just so worried about it. I think that it is the competitive nature in me that just doesn't or won't accept that I can't do this. :D

I know it has only been 2 1/2 weeks, but I am going to get this thing down and figured out...I have set some goals for myself. By the end of May I would like to be at about 150yds without resting and 300yds by the end of June. From there we will take it as it comes, but right now those are my goals.

Thanks again...this is why I love this site..when you need a pick me up...there are so many folks that are here to help you out.

2007-05-22 8:54 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Trust the process. If you put in the work, the results will come.  Really, they will.

I got in the water for frequent, but brief, sessions at first.  Considering how awful I was at first, I was shocked by how quickly I was able to start putting more continuous distance in. After the first couple of weeks of struggling, it suddenly came together to the point that I'd get bored by doing laps long before I'd get tired.  At that point, I started changing to workouts focused on drills and intervals intended to improve speed and form. Now speed increases are another matter.  Speed hasn't come quickly for me at all.

2007-05-22 9:29 PM

User image

Twin Cities, MN
When I was teaching myself to swim freestyle last year, one of my friends gave me a tip. Do your 100 meters, but instead of taking a "rest" between sets, do alap of a different stroke between the sets (i.e. backstroke, modified backstroke), which gives your lungs a breather and keeps your face out of the water and then go right back into the freestyle stroke. I found that that rhythm helped me, until I could the breathing down, but I was continuously moving. Within a short time, I could do 10 laps without needing the backstroke in between.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting nervous about swimming Rss Feed