General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you train for a vertical marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-14 9:50 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: How do you train for a vertical marathon?
I am going to sign up for the Swissôtel The Stamford Vertical Marathon(http://www.rafflescityhotels.com/vm_2004/) on 7 Nov 2004 in Singapore.I would have to climb 73 floors and 1,336 steps!!! luckily there is no cutoff timing. What do one have to do to train for such an event so as to complete it???Never done a vertical marathon in my life.Can it be done??? Do I have to start climbing stairs for training? My flat is 15 storeys high so does that mean I have to climb the 15 storeys of stairs for 4 times(take lift to ground floor and start again) to prepare for this?????How do you train for a vertical marathon within less than 2 months? I run at least 3 times a week.

2004-09-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #61314

Champion
Subject: RE: How do you train for a vertical marathon?

Funny you mention this Steven.  I used to hike a lot with a guy that was doing a lot of these stair climbing events.  He had done the Empire State Building run-up in NY City several times, and had been as far away as Australia to compete.  He based most of his training on hard mountain climbing and running, that way he didn't get the break in the distance that you would get on a shorter flight of stairs like you have.  Any chance you can incorporate some steep uphill runs into your training?  That would certainly develop the leg and lung power needed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you train for a vertical marathon? Rss Feed