General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two questions from a "hopefully" new sprint-tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-23 8:44 AM

Subject: two questions from a "hopefully" new sprint-tri
I'm new to this whole thing and planning to do my first sprint tri this August in Philly. A few Delaware related questions.

1) Where is the best place to buy gear? I plan on hitting up Del. Running Co' to splurge on my first good pair of running shoes, I've always kept to the cheap is better/buy them at the discount store. Other then that I assume I'll need some water shoes?? and a pair of transition shorts. Do they sell these things at Modell's, etc, or do I have to go to a special "tri" store. I would prefer not doing the internet thing, I like to try things on first. I think I'm doing the swim in my speedo (no wetsuit in august). Any info would be great.

2) I read about the open water swims in Winonah, NJ. I'm a really really slow swimmer (even after being on the HS swim team). Are these open water swims geared towards full tri-swimmers, or sprint-tri's. Is there a coach telling you what to do, or is it a free-for-all, are there any sort of lanes setup? Do they separate the first time open water swimmers from the oldies? If there is a coach, what is the normal distance done?

Thanks a bunch!
Alison

2007-05-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: #813128

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Subject: RE: two questions from a "hopefully" new sprint-tri
how far from the philly area are you?
2007-05-24 7:15 AM

I'm in Wilmington.
2007-05-29 3:30 PM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware

I purchased my tri-shorts and tri-wetsuit online.  Received my tri-shirt as a present - but my brother also ordered it online.  My running shoes are from the New Balance outlet in N. Wilmington, and my road bike is from Dunbar's on Philly Pike.  The Bikeline on 202 now carries some tri-gear.  I saw a rack of Zoot tri-shorts for sale.  Most people go barefoot from the water to the transistion area.

What's the race in August?   

2007-05-30 9:56 AM

Thanks for the tips about bikeline and going barefoot. I get a little creeped out about the thought of my foot brushing something foreign in the water, but as long as its not a body, I'll deal with it.

The race is the SheROX. It's an all female sprint tri in Fairmont Park - we are swimming in the Schuylkill. If this one goes well, I plan on doing another one in early October down in Maryland, somewhere outside of OC.

My boyfriend's sister & her hubby own a bikeshop in Montclair, NJ - Diamond Cycle, so I'll be buying my bike there, hopefully next Friday. I had a hybrid, but it was stolen around Thanksgiving, so I'll be replacing it with a road bike. I just got on a road bike for the first time this past weekend down at the beach, and I loved it. I don't see the need for a tri-bike. They want me to buy the Giant OCR composite, but that one is out of my budget, so I'll probably get the OCR-2 or 3.

Which tri's have you done or are you planning to do? Any of them sprints?
2007-05-30 10:07 AM
in reply to: #822012

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
I'm new to the sport as well.  I've done a couple sprints, and am scheduled to do an Olympic in June and then a HIM in September.  My ultimate goal is to do IMLP next summer.  Mid-life crisis.  Need to accomplish certain goals before I turn 40!

2007-06-15 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hi Alison,

I live in Wilmington, too - and am signed up to do my first tri in September - the Danskin tri.  I think one of my friends from the Central Y is doing the She Rox tri - you get jewelry at the end!! That sounds like a good incentive for me!!   I am also doing the Philly Women's tri as a relay with one of my friends to prepare for Danskin.  I'm doing the swim/bike to get some open water swim experience as well as Transition1 experience.  Then my friend will be finisihing off with the run.

Anyway - regarding places to get gear, I definitely recommend DE running Co for shoes, and Dunbar's for the bike.  The owner of DE Running is really cool and has good input on fitting you with the right shoe.  Also they are awesome at Dunbars - they will make sure your bike fits, and will take good care of you. I recently bought clipless shoes and the guy there installed the cleats on the shoes, changed out my pedals, adjusted the cleats so they were nice and loose, and gave me a quick tutorial on how to use them.  That's 'the extra mile' that keeps me going back there. 

I am also in the market for a trisuit.  I'm planning on hitting up REI near my sister's house this weekend, up in Marlton NJ.  I am not aware of any good places around here to get a trisuit.  I'm hesitant to buy one online because it's SO important that it fits (chafing is not something I want to deal with on race day!)

Anyway, good luck with your training!!

Jen

2007-06-21 2:09 PM

Jen - the tri relay sounds like a good way to get some practice in. What's great about the SheRox (besides the free jewlery) - it's probably not too late for you to sign up, is that they give you a Mentor in the area. Mine has been great so far, and we've done a couple of group things, and a ton of info. It's great to talk other people that have done them and get different ideas about what works and what doesnt. The swim in the Schuylkill is downstream too, I'm not sure how the swim works in the Philly Tri is that you are doing, or the Danskin one.

I also did an OWS at Wenonah Lake in NJ (around 40 minutes away) which was great experience (other then the yuckiness of the water) and I plan to go up there a few more times before August. They course they have is 333 yards and then they do either run or bike afterwards. It didnt seem that organized, pretty much "go at your own pace," which is good for me, and everyone was really helpful and nice.

I got my bike at Diamond Cycle in Montclair, NJ (boyfriend's sister&hubby own it) so they helped me out a lot. I got a pair of tri shorts at Bikeline in Newark - it was their last pair in clearance. I dont like them so much, they are too long! But this sport is $$$ so they'll have to do. All I'm looking for now is a good tri-top. I'm also hesitant about getting stuff online. I would think about a trisuit if I hadn't already gotten the shorts. If I find another place around here, I will let you know. I plan to check out the bikeline on 202 and see what they have.

Good luck! Alison
2007-06-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #854534

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hey Alison,

Sounds like you're all set with the gear - minus the tri top....  but there are lots of bargains in the 'clearance' area of websites like REI.com, sierra trading post.....     Speaking of which , I found that it's not likely to find a trisuit in a store.  So, I ordered a Louis Garneau suit which seems to fit ok - the legs are a little short (opposite problem to you!!) but I think it'll be ok. 

That's cool that you went to Wenonah lake - I went up there last week and it was insane!!  Quite an experience that I need to repeat in order to continue getting used to swimming 'in the dark'. I am planning to be there on the 5th of July with a few friends.  It would be great if we could hook up! 

Oh, and the mentor thing for the She ROX sounds really cool- I am going to ask and see if my friend got one.  So far I have been relyign on this website...  having someone in person sounds really helpful. 

OK, well have a great week!  (It's almost friday....)

-Jen

2007-06-28 7:46 AM

Jen - I get the CGI racing updates through email...CGI is who puts on the OWS in Wenonah - and I don't think they are having the OWS on 7/5. When you went, was it biking or running after the swim? Here is the email with their OWS schedule:

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/168678/7d76738c4c/444016/b744155...
The swim stuff is all the way at the bottom.

I will probably be going up to Wenonah again on 7/12. I will check out those websites for the clothing. Delaware Running Company had some tri-gear, just the shorts and tops, but I went on Saturday and they were sold out! They said mid-July they are getting a new shipment.

You have a great weekend too! It should be cooler then this week has been. Ick.
2007-06-29 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

thanks....  yeah, I just got an email from CGI about next week's swim being cancelled.   I am planning to be there at least a few times before september, so I'll let you know when I plan to go next!

Take care!

Jen

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » two questions from a "hopefully" new sprint-tri Rss Feed