General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-24 10:12 AM

User image

Palm Harbor, FL
Subject: Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition
So I just completed Florida 70.3 this past weekend and my next big race is IMFL on 11/3/07. The 70.3 was my second 1/2 IM distance race, but really the first one I trained for somewhat consistently. I used the 20wk beginner 1/2 IM plan on this site as a guide in training and it worked pretty well I think.

So here's my question.... I need to start getting a plan together for IMFL now, but I'm not sure where to start. I feel like a have a pretty good base from the 70.3 training. Do I start on the 20wk beginner IM plan on this site and just treat it as if I was starting over, or do I stick with the distances I was training at for the 70.3 and just gradually up my mileage. I don't want to burn out by November, but I don't know if I'm helping myself by decreasing my mileage at this point to begin an all new plan.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2007-05-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #815101

User image

Subject: RE: Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition
I am in the same situation. Just finished 1/2 in Disney (also my second). But did not really train so found it tough. I am signed up for IMFlorida (my 1st FULL distance) too and am planning on doing the "Full Ironman - 20 Week" schedule (on Siver only).

It assumes you are at 1/2 Ironman shape and then increases workload. I am starting this Monday with the 1st three weeks and then that should take me to 20 weeks till race so I will start over with the training then. I need the base so I am doing 1st three weeks twice (or thats the plan).

Good luck to you in your training.

I am hoping I can stick to the plan as a full is kinda a daunting race and I know I can't just wing it.
2007-05-24 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Trying to hold fitness from this time of year over to November is a recipie for burn out. Take a few weeks off from the long stuff and race some local sprints or 5k's (or cycling races or whatever) and don't think about IMFL for another month at least. Coming off a 70.3 you have a great base to build from and you aren't going to lose it completely unless you become a couch potatoe. Take some time and hang out with friends and family since you aren't going to have much time for that after you start your build. You can start building for IMFL around the middle to end of July and be just fine.

Good Luck!

2007-05-24 7:08 PM

User image

Palm Harbor, FL
Thanks Rocket Man, that's exactly what I was wondering about. Guess I'll take some downtime and start at 20 weeks out with the new plan.

Good luck to you Jim. See you in PCB.
2007-05-25 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

As Rocket Man said...take some time off then start training again.  Last year I completed Buffalo Springs at the end of June.  Then I took the month of July off.  At the beginning of August I started my IMFL training.  You won't lose much fitness taking a few weeks off and you may actually come back feeling stronger and refreshed.

TJ

2007-05-27 8:16 AM

New user
Well....I sort of disagree a bit with the other responses. I don't think taking a month off is a good idea for most people. Especially if a "month off" means very little or no training. For most novice triathletes, building up to a long run takes quite a bit of time. Taking a month off from running will set you back too far and it will take too long to build back up to that long run again. You might cut your training in half for 2-3 weeks and then start to build again. Keep the long run though, but maybe cut back on the distance just a bit.

Depends on your goals really. If you want to finish but are not concerned with the time, then you are probably there already with half ironman fitness. If you have an aggressive time goal, one month off is probably not a great idea.

For IMFL, August and September should be your biggest volume months. Especially September. Do what you can to show up in September ready to crank out some big miles. Just my $.02.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-Iron to Full-Iron training transition Rss Feed