General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike lots = win, swim lots = ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-26 1:12 PM
in reply to: #815987

Timnath Colorado,
Subject: RE: bike lots = win, swim lots = ??
danCC - 2007-05-24 3:26 PM

I've read a lot on this website saying you need to ride a lot to get faster. I have personal experience with this and know it to be true. (the same thing is true for running imo). Does this philosophy apply to swimming? I'm a slow swimmer who gets lapped by fat guys and little kids. I swim 2-3 times a week regularly. If I swim tons will I get faster? And by tons i mean LSD. This is sans drills/etc. Getting a coach would be hard atm, reading some book/watching some video would only confuse me.
btw im a good runner/biker

I would say our situations are similar. I've been cycyling many years and used to run before I got into cycling. Swimming...not so much. My early efforts were humbling, to say the least. I considered myself to be in good shape, and an above average athlete for my age (46). But I could barely manage 25m without feeling exhausted. My intial swim sessions were 500m- 25m at a time. And I was embarrassingly slow. I don't mind saying I can ride a bike pretty well, but my inability to get this swimming was very defeating. Initially, I was honestly doubting I could complete a 500m pool swim in a sprint... ever. I had to get better or stick with biking (giveup). Not wanting to throw in the towel quite yet, and being fairly obsessive, I decided I needed to research and educate myself. I read books and articles, spend hours reading swimming threads on this forum, Slowtwitch & Trinewbies, got the TI book and DVD...and of course, continued to swim.

I don't have a coach, and I don't do many drills, per say. I started to use a pull bouy and paddles to take some of the variables out (specifically, my worthless kick and legs that sank like a rock). I focused on the feel of the water, on balance and breathing and stroke mechanics and over time I felt more comfortable. I would read, and re-read, watch other swimmers at the pool, watch clips of the great swimmers (Phelps, Thorp, and that Russian guy). And I continued to swim often, not lots of yards, but 3-5 times each week. I started to look forward to my swimming...I still sucked and was terrible slow, but was excited to work on improving. I would even lay awake at night analyzing the swim workout and make notes to myself. Gradually, I increased the distance I am able to swim with that amazing feeling of slipping through the water. When I loose that feeling, it's time for a rest and then start another set. If I've learned anything, it's fighting the water is not going to get me anywhere. I can't muscle my way though it and I can't just suffer through it like on the bike.

Fast forward. I have been swimming almost two months, and will complete a 500m swim in my first Sprint Tri in 2 weeks. I've done it in practice and know I can do it when it counts. I will complete the swim. The last 200 may be a bit rough, but I accept that. And then I will continue to swim as much as I can and will continue to improve. I am far, far from being fast in the water but have come a very long way-25m at a time.

For me, the path to better swimming is work on the stroke and swim alot. Alot will eventually be many 1000's meters, until then its as often as possible.

Rick

2007-05-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #817492

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
MikeTheBear - 2007-05-25 4:01 PM

How long did the 5K take you? That's a little on the insane side.

Agree conditionally -- I don't see too much point in a lot of 5K straight swims. However I've done a fair number of 4K workouts, which would have struck me as insane a couple of years ago -- now it's just a tough workout.
2007-05-28 2:44 PM
in reply to: #819402

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
the point of the 5k swim so you can do the 5k race in september.
2007-05-28 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
It's all good -- no disrespect intended -- I've done several 2100 yard swims this spring just because that's the 1/2 IM distance.
2007-05-28 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
In my experience being a new swimmer as of last year I was swimming around 4,000 yds/ week. Since January I got 2 one on one lessons and started swimming 9,000 yrds plus a week and my OLY swim time last September was 35 min and as of last week it was a 28 min in the same lake same conditions. Plus I have learned to swim straight. I agree with JeepFleeb that to be competitive you have to be a strong swimmer. Last race I finished fourth in th AG and I had a faster run and bike then all but one, but my swim was 4 min too long and costed me a place.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike lots = win, swim lots = ?? Rss Feed  

of 2