City of Santa Clarita
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 50s
Overall Rank = 271/652
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Santa Clarita the night prior to the race. Woke up at 5:30 am and had oatmeal and orange juice for breaksfast.
Event warmup:

Minimal streching and warm up. It was pretty cold, especially after leaving my sweatshirt in the car. Lots of people. There was music playing on loud speakers and contestants couldn't seem to help but jump and warm up to the music.
Run
  • 32m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I developed a headache after about 1 mile and the pounding of running made it difficult to push through wanting to walk for a minute here and there to catch my breath. There were also no mile markers so you had no way of knowing how far in the run you were to push the last 1/2 mile or so -- you turned a corner and the finish line was only about 50 yards away for the sprint.
What would you do differently?:

It's hard to know what I shouldv'e done differently due to the headache, but still shaved off almost a minute from the 5K just last weekend. I think I would have made my goal of under 32 minutes without the headache.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around (although difficult due to the headache and the smell of sausage not helping the headache.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headache

Event comments:

Only one drink station on the 5K course and no mile markers at all. The one drink station did not seem to be manned very well as there were no drinks ready when I passed while last weeks race had ample drinks available when the runners came by.

Last updated: 2005-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:50 | 03.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 271/652
Performance: Average
Course: The course was very nice, although there seemed to be a lot of uphill legs. It was a bike/walk path through nice tree lined areas and along a resevoir path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No