BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Mac's training group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-07-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: #890740

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Subject: RE: The Mac's training group - CLOSED!
bryank14 - 2007-07-18 7:46 AM

feeling good about everything except the swim...

Just be smart about it. Trust me on that. I went from zero swimming 3 weeks ago, to a great 30 minute at the pool yesterday that included 2 X 200M. Three weeks ago, I nearly died swimming 50 M!!

Just stay calm, fluid, long strokes, glide... and repeat "this is almost over! This is almost over! This is almost over!"

heh... nice.. I wanted to swim last night... but the dang pool was closed... we had some storms earlier in the afternoon/evening... but by 6:30 it was sunny... but the pool was closed... GAH...

2007-07-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: #817702

User image

Melon Presser

WOOHOO Bryan! 2x200m? That's huge! Seriously! Congratulations. Bet the lifeguards totally ignore you now.

Joshua, hang in there. Sorry 'bout the pool.

Both of you need to kick my butt to get in the open water ... I live 2 blocks from the ocean (very swimmable ... site of LA Tri's swim) and I am a CHICKEN about the cold water. Got to remember ... a lot of triathletes would kill to live where I do ... be grateful, and get my damn feet wet!

2007-07-18 1:25 PM

User image

Melon Presser
P.S. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BRYAN!!!
2007-07-18 3:29 PM

New user
hey all,

Been awhile since I posted on here, but I have been training again.

Last week was my first week "back" and it was pretty light. This week I am focusing on doing more things throughout the week. I always seem to take 2 days off when I really have no excuse.

Anyway, congrats on the before and after pics!

TriAya, I just went out with the LA Tri Club this morning for the OWS. I just wore a swimsuit and the water temp is in the mid 60s, so it really is not that bad. By the time you reach the buoy, your body is nicely warmed up and you are rolling. My swim times are pathetic, but I hope to get those down over the next month before the LA Tri in sept
2007-07-20 10:03 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
good morning all... question for ya... anyone wear compression shirts as an undershirt? I am wearing one today, just to see how it goes... it feels pretty dang good!... I'm mainly wearing it cause my wife said my "man boobs" looked like Pec's last night... I got some from kohls (10 bucks for an XXL Rebook) in the mail yesterday and wore them for the first time around the house last night to see how they felt... they help me keep things sucked in that is for sure

hope everyone has a good day today and a great weekend of training! I am hoping to get a significant ride in on saturday morning... and going to run and/or swim tonight if the weather breaks...

josh
2007-07-20 2:47 PM

User image

Nipomo, CA
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to wish Boneboy GOOD LUCK tomorrow and tell him to swim fast, bike faster, and run hard!! Love you Dad and I don't care if you finish first or last, you should be Damn proud of yourself for going out there and giving it your best.

Beau

2007-07-20 11:03 PM

Triaya, Bryan and you too Beau..... Thanks. The past 2 months have been a real thrill for me. I've come farther then I ever expected and thanks to the support of this Website and each of you I feel like I've not done it alone. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the notes of inspiration placed in my training logs by each of you and the genuine concern that I sense from you all. Although I haven't even raced yet I believe that the most enjoyable thing about this whole prcess is getting to the point that I'm at right now. I'm as nervous as a high school kid on a blind date, full of anticipation about what can and will happen and yet wise enough to know that (just like life) I have to focus on the now as these experiences are so fleeting. I really feel like I'm physically ready, the mental question remains to be answered on Sunday. It's going to be a great day. In closing I'd like to share with you a daily affirmation that was given to me 5 years ago by a professional coach I worked with. It has become my companion and is verbally repeated every morning after a short devotional time prior to starting my day with patients. It has in many ways changed my life because I believe every word of it and try to reflect these attitudes throughout my day. I hope that perhaps it may come to mean the same to each of you.

"Today is a GREAT day, and I have the opportunity to show up as the best me ever. I am an irresistible magnet with the absolute power to attract into my life anything I desire. My life is a huge success." "I am committed to constant and never ending personal improvement, and I take massive action steps to create the future as I want it. I will do whatever it takes to become the winner I know I can be." "My beliefs create my reality, I choose robust health, abdundant wealth, constant happiness and eternal love. I attract, heal and positively influence the lives of people in my community. I think big thoughts, relish small pleasures and handle all setbacks gracefully." "I give thanks for the opportunity to serve humanity and I willingly accept the rewards being sent to me by an abundant universe. I am deeply greatful for all I create and receive. My life is in total balance and I AM A MASTER!"

I'll follow-up with each of you after the event on Sunday.
2007-07-21 9:34 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Supercheers for Boneboy! You are definitely the cheerleader and affirmation guru of the group. Don't know if you'll read this before tomorrow, but I (we!) are throwing such joyful thoughts your way. No matter what happens, the important thing is that you have put yourself out there in training and in the race. For that, and for the constant inspiration for others to do the same, you are already a great triathlete to me.

As for me ... I've really enjoyed my recovery week. Phew. I sure needed a rest! And today ... LOOK MOMMY, NO HANDS! I actually and unintentionally rode the bike hands-free for a few seconds today ... my jersey had bunched up so I pulled it down ... and realized I did it with both hands! A couple of weeks ago I couldn't take ONE hand off the bike, which of course made gears and nutrition difficult. Not that I plan to do a lot of handless riding, ha ha, but I am developing "bikefeel." Yay!

In the vein of gratitude ... I will never know why some of us get to be here (in the world) and some of us leave early ... I don't know if this is a metaphysical or just a luck-of-the-draw thing ... I don't know why some of us have able bodies and minds and some of us don't ... all I know is that every day I'm above ground and sucking air, I feel like I have won the lottery.

Edit P.S.  Bryan--those before and after pics are incredible (he posted a link in the "one year later" thread). You don't look like the same person at all. Super congratulations on all your hard work and your generosity to our little training group. Anyway, this week being your anniversary and Boneboy's imminent triathlon de-virgination has been such tremendous inspiration.

Edited by TriAya 2007-07-21 9:37 PM
2007-07-22 5:17 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Go Boneboy!!! You are going to rock this tri, and kick form serious 50+ butt.

Can't wait for the race report....

TriAya - I just realized I had not posted my little "pictoral" here!!

So here is the link guys and gals: http://www.vwss.ca/fsgallery/albums/batchadd/bigbry/Various%20shots...

2007-07-24 7:40 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Any news from Boneboy yet? I am starting to get worried... Hope all went well.
2007-07-24 12:06 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Me too. I haven't been this nervous since waiting for live feeds on Scott Rigsby. Bill? Beau? Anyone?

2007-07-24 4:06 PM

User image

Nipomo, CA
Hey all,
thanks for the concern for the "old Man" Ha ha!!!! He did great! I'll tell him to write soon. He has been swamped with work this week. ( They had computer crisis) But he should be back on and give a synopsis!!! Hope everyone is having a great week!
Beau
2007-07-25 12:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS BONEBOY!!!!!

You are so my hero.

2007-07-25 7:29 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Okay... I am relieved now... Can't wait to see the race report. HE MUST FILE ONE!!
2007-07-25 1:28 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Happy Hump Day, all!

I've already had a momentous week ... first group ride, first master's swim workout, first ocean training swim (details in log). I love being a newbie to tri ... so many delicious firsts! Guaranteed PRs on everything until I repeat a race or a standard distance (and even then, a course PR)!

Hey Pete, I did the Triathletix ocean circuit this morning--were you there? You're right, the water temp was great!!! And nice ride on your log yesterday. Were you one of the tight tushies receding into the distance? I was on the Playa Ridazz ride ...

2007-07-31 6:33 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Anyone around?

Hope all is good with everyone. For my part, training is going very well, and I am looking forward more than ever to my first tri.

2007-07-31 4:13 PM

New user
heyas,

Yeah I was there last Tuesday, but missed the OWS due to work meetings early AM. I am the one that is clearly a clydesdale in the group and also the only one without bike shoes/clipless pedals (maybe this weekend I will finally take the plunge...).
The playa ride is great as you will get faster in a hurry. Week 1 I was dying and struggling to keep up and now I can stay with the middle sprint group (about 22-30 mph, depending on wind) on that sprint after the left turn.

Try to keep going if possible as it will help out your bike skills, the people are very nice and of course you get to ride near the beach

2007-07-31 5:05 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Congrats to Boneboy!  I'm still around all, just taking a short hiatus from training until school and work starts again mid August.  Hoping to get in a season ending tri in October.  Keep up the good work everyone and drop me a note with any questions or concerns!
2007-07-31 6:10 PM
in reply to: #908754

User image

Melon Presser

PJOinSM - 2007-07-31 2:13 PM heyas, Yeah I was there last Tuesday, but missed the OWS due to work meetings early AM. I am the one that is clearly a clydesdale in the group and also the only one without bike shoes/clipless pedals (maybe this weekend I will finally take the plunge...). The playa ride is great as you will get faster in a hurry. Week 1 I was dying and struggling to keep up and now I can stay with the middle sprint group (about 22-30 mph, depending on wind) on that sprint after the left turn. Try to keep going if possible as it will help out your bike skills, the people are very nice and of course you get to ride near the beach

Ha ha ha, Pete--I'M supposed to be the clearly-an-Athena (not so clear anymore, though, I'm joyfully told) without bike shoes/clipless! Set off to go there this morning with my training partner but she blew a flat before we got there. We still went in case any late stragglers but wound up doing the ride ourselves; it was very nice. Probably better I had an easier ride since still recovering from a 14-mile run over the weekend.

I just went clipless and I HIGHLY recommend it. I was also terribly afraid of cost but the shoes, pedals, a computer, water bottle cage, installation/labor of all and bike fit ran me $150 at Helen's Cyclery in Marina del Rey. Of course, you could do that all yourself, but those guys are the BEST. (Don't go to the one in Santa Monica. I have not heard good things about it). I also have the LA Tri Club discount, though. 

Bryan, super good luck on your tri!!! Thanks for checking in, it's always really encouraging when one of us posts on here.

2007-07-31 11:11 PM

Hi all, I'm back! What a week, just about everything after the Tri that could go wrong, did. computer crashes at work, mother in the hospital, trip to San Jose (that was a good thing though) and an unbelievable work schedule. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the encouragement, good thoughts and cheers regarding my first Tri on the 22nd. I can now proudly say that I'm no longer a virgin, yep my cherry is popped, I'm "soiled" for life..... and what a great feeling it is! A short recap: San Luis Obispo, California: Hot day, hydrated well and really nailed the nutrition. All the prep regarding that aspect of the race came together. My goal was to just finish and really experience the event without any rush or concern related to competition. (.5 mi swim) experienced some anxiety when I started the swim, don't know if it was because I stood around getting ready for so long or not but it took me about 400 yards to get into a groove. It was easy after that although my head was a little "woozy" for about 20 minutes after completing the leg. Unfortunately the event did not offer split times just the overall, I finished right at 2 hours. (T1) took my time and although I had my area organized someone came in next to me and moved a bunch of my stuff during my swim. Thankfully I found everything and was able to get out in about 5-6 minutes, (15.1 mi bike) my strength, it was hot, windy and hilly. The ride out was tough because my legs didn't really feel loose until about 2 miles in. Even with all the brick workouts I performed it wasn't the same as practice. HR stayed at about 155 (15 beats higher then I had anticipated) but once I found my legs and got into the aerobars I flew by people. The carbon bike really made a difference. I felt sorry for many of the others who were riding mtn bikes as they were really struggling on the hills. (T2), couldn't resist, had to jog over to my wife and my "cheering section" for hugs and high fives. It was sooooo cool. I must admit I felt special as none of them were competing and I was the only one standing there dripping wet, dog tired and super stoked. I couldn't help but think that deep down each of them was sorry that they hadn't got involved in the event too. Probably spent about 6-8 minutes in T2 then off to the run. (3.1 mi run) very hilly course, started with a fast walk until I could feel my legs again after the bike then started to jog (or should I say shuffle), my biggest concern was how my bum knee would hold up, it did well until the climbs started and I was forced to resume walking due to the pain. At the end of mi 2 on a steep decline my right quad grabbed so bad I couldn't even straighten my leg. It eased as the road flattened and increased as the next climb began. Finish...... the best part. What's funny is that although I remember the pain and discomfot experienced during most of the event, from about mile 2.5 of the run on I have no recollection of any pain. Euphoria just took over, the spectators lining the streets, the other participants and the crowd of family and friends waiting for their gladiators to finish lead to a very inspirational and moving finish for me. I realized as I crossed the finish line that I actually did it! Post thoughts.... I'm hooked. The event really tested me. Not in regard to the competition with others but against myself. The training schedule, the pain, the comittment to doing it and especially overcoming the doubts and fears, I feel like I conquered them all. I need to do something to get better at the run though, I'm going to try to increase my run training to 3x a week and really focus on mechanics so as not to destroy my knee. I've got to try to get 12 minute miles (I know Bryan that sounds easy to you). I need to really practice my transitions too, I had no desire to push them during this my first event but on Aug 11th (the Lompoc Tri) I want to complete them quicker and more efficiently. Finally I'll rest more prior to starting the event so that the swim goes a little easier. All in all the event was truly special and although I never mentioned my participation to my patient's the word "got out" and I must say that it felt good to see that most reacted with either admiration or admitted confirmation of my middle aged craziness. It feels great to be a triathlete, I know that my experiences will undoubtedly be different then yours but know that in some special way I carried each of you with me that day. Thanks for being a part of my team and sharing this special time with me. Bill
2007-07-31 11:54 PM

New user
congrats on the first tri Boneboy!

Some running suggestions from someone with half an MCL and little cartiliage in his right knee

1) Get new running shoes every 200 miles

2) Make sure you get PROPER shoes for you, maybe spend the extra $20 on insoles if it helps. A friend of mine that does marathons said "Brook's Beast" are great shoes for big guys, I have no experience with them as I am happy in my New Balances, but might be worth looking into

3) See if you could get someone that is a runner watch you run. There are many things that an experienced runner helped me with, they were small basic corrections, but I never would have known had no one pointed them out to me. For example - keep your fingers loose and not in fists, if you are clenching your fingers into fists/etc, it causes your lower back to tighten and that leads to all sorts of bad things.

I was so psyched after my first tri, but I made a mistake of not training for a few weeks after it and now I am trying to get focused for the LA Sprint Tri in Sept. Good luck on your next few weeks!

2007-08-01 12:40 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Boneboy, we are sooooooo proud of you. WOW! Congratulations!!! Now you're irreversibly one of "us," yep, the "Pod People," you are not the same man anymore and never will be.

Kudos especially for attacking all the gnarly hills. 

Lompoc Tri?! Came so close to doing that but signed up for Pendleton instead. Yeah, I know, a bit south for you! But Lompoc seems like a wonderful race, and hey, pool swim--can't beat that!

And a thought regarding running ... one that a Bone Doc might appreciate ... while the running purists thumb their noses at me, I can easily do a 12-min mile on a 1:1 run/walk ratio (although when land running, I train at a 3:1 13:00, which theoretically places me as an 11:00/mile marathoner. Theoretically.) But in any case, run-walk ratios save my joints and ultimately make me faster since I don't tire out or cramp up. Having had multiple stress fractures and a plethora of other impact/overuse injuries, and wanting to run for another 70 years or so, God willing, I am very interested in saving me ol' bones! 

2007-08-01 7:55 AM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Boneboy...

First off, you might not have know about it (or maybe you did) but you had several "virtual good vibes" during your first try. I am delighted to hear (finally!!) that it went well, and that you are hooked!

Now, for the running... I am yet just a running noob, learning and learning and learning...

But to put things in perspective, and to offer some hope, note that I started working out on August 16th last year. That's less than a year ago. And... I was speedwalking only. I started running only in October, and the 3 months were all doing run/walk. So bottom line: it takes time, patience, and dedication.

Forget about speed training and all that stuff. I am barely starting that myself at my end, with only one thing in mind: staying healthy. You need to build a solid and dedicated running base. And don't focus on the super long stuff. I presumes tri's are your priority, and your goal. So that means understanding that also when run training. But you want to have the right mechanics to do it. And also, you need months and months of boring (for some) EZ running to build that base, and for those running muscles to get toned up. Trust me, running in the dead of winter up hee (at -30 celcius) really makes you appreciate it!! I did a good six months of NOTHING BUT EZ running to begin. And it's still the main focus of my training.

Just be patient. Trust me on that!
2007-08-01 9:53 PM

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for the advice, I was fitted for orthotics and am utilizing a running shoe built to counter my tendenacy to supinate. They really help. I agree with you TriA in that ratio training seems to be a good way to go. I've read several articles on it and like the concept. I'm going to give it a try after my next event on the 11th. Additionally, I have a patient who just completed the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in LA a few weeks ago (we ride together) and he's "volunteered" to be my run coach..... It seems that the most important thing is what Bryan said, give it time and consistent effort at an EZ pace to build an endurance base. Enough about me...... let's hear about you guys. I know that Bryan you have an event on the 1st of Sept. How's the training going? I know that you'll be ready. TriAya I enjoyed reading about your OWS in the ocean..... I am so proud to be part of a group of such super people. I look forward to touching base each evening when I get home from work. Keep in touch. Bill
2007-08-07 6:07 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi everybody! Checkin' in and wanting a spot of advice.  I'm doing my third sprint this weekend--yay! exciting! it'll be my first ocean-swim tri, first clipless-pedal tri, and the bike leg is 18mi.

BTW super good luck to Boneboy who is doing his second tri this weekend!

The taper just feels weird after the big volumes I've been doing lately. The plan (mostly based on what was possible acc. to my work schedule):

Monday--nothing (I did this very well. Okay, a few miles of brisk walking)

Tuesday--30-40 min. on a stationary, with a few "hills" (up resistance) and some 30-60s "sprints" (actually about 80%) to keep my legs fresh, then an easy 3-4mi run

Wednesday--OWS, 1500-2000m

Thursday--morn: 45 min. on real bike, flats, with 30-60s sprints, then a super-easy 30min run. Eve: 2000-2500m long easy freestyle swim, probably some rests, probably some kicking, a teensy bit of I.M.

Friday--nothing.

Saturday--RACE DAY!!!

Does this seem reasonable? Any thoughts?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Mac's training group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 6