BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Mac's training group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-05-25 5:15 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: The Mac's training group - CLOSED!

Name:  Bill

Story:  I am 39 and race the super clydesdale division (225+).  This is my second full season of tri's.  When I started a year and a half ago I could not swim 50 yards nor run a full mile without keeling over.  I wanted to do tri's because big men are not supposed to and I wanted to show everyone that anyone can do triathlon as long as they believe in themselves.  I reached a huge personal goal in this sport by completing my first 1/2 ironman last week.  I continue to train regularly and have a full racing schedule this season.

Status:  Divorced 4 years, little boy (Billy aka Little Mac) who lives with me most of the time.

2006:  4 sprints and concluded the year with Miami Man Int'l in November; my first OLY!

2007:  I trained hard in the offseason and the results speak for themselves.  Wildman Olympic Triathlon 3/07 - 4th in Clydesdale division.  Ironman Florida 70.3 - FINISHED!  7:29.  Scheduled for all 3 Key Biscayne trilogy races, 2 additional Fort Lauderdale sprints, and finishing the year with the Miami Man HIM in November OR the Longhorn HIM in October.

Personal goals:  Ironman Florida 2008!  Sub 225 pounds!

Edited by The Mac 2007-07-10 4:26 PM

2007-06-10 5:58 PM
in reply to: #817702

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Subject: RE: The Mac's training group - open
Hey Bill,

Can I goin your group.

I am new to triathlon. My first is going to be a sprint in 2 weeks at Callaway Gardens, GA.
I guess you could label me as a Super super clydesdale (255 currently). I am very motivated and plan on completing the Ironman Florida 70.3 in May 08. I would like to get recon info on the event from you when I get closer to the event date.
2007-06-12 2:16 PM

Hi Mac, Tom from Henderson, Nevada here looking for a mentor. I am 6'2" 230 pounds down from 250 around the first of the year. I just got back into the gym about a month ago and have been working on getting my aerobic engine up to speed. Do you have room in your group to mentor me?? I am committed to competing and completing the Lake Las Vegas Triathalon on September 1st. Sure would appreciate your (and the groups) help, advice and encouragement). I will get my training logs up to par later today. Thanks for the time. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom

2007-06-12 11:07 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe

I'm a 318ish pound school administrator from the Houston area, married w/2 kiddos... I just signed up (literally) for the Triathlon One o One in The Woodlands, TX http://www.trioneoone.com/race.asp?content=woodlands

I started the 20 week beginner program this week... it will be my first triathlon, I was never in any kind of "racing" shape, always been a clyde... now just an uber Clyde... I started biking about a month ago and was looking for a goal... so I signed up for this race... swam for the first time today... 12 minutes is a pain in the butt

oh, and can I join the group please
2007-06-12 11:56 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
I am not sure what is up with Bill AKA "The Mac".
I have not seen a reply post from any of our request to join the Group.
I guess we will have to keep this thing going until he Appears.
Tom, good luck with your training for the Lake Las Vegas Triathalon. I am
sure you will do great. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to post.
I am sure We will be able to get the answer from someone, if we don't know it.
Keep up the hard work.
Luhitech, I also wanted to wish you good luck on your training as well. What distance did you sign up for in the One O One tri? The tri looks pretty cool. I really like the perks you get when you sign up and at the end ofthe race. Keep pushing forward and Don't get discouraged with any training. Remember, we all started some where. From the looks of it, we are all clydesdales or beyond in this group. So I am sure we either have been or we are in the same shoes with most of this new tri stuff. Just keep training hard and smart.
2007-06-13 9:56 AM

Hi Kevin, Hi Joshua,

Kevin..zeroing in on the big day...I bet you are excited...thanks for your words of encouragement also. I'll check out your race course later. From what I've read you are supposed to have fun and there is alot of camaraderie. I think that is cool

Hi Joshua, Welcome to the clydesdale stables, we are all in this together and I think with M.I.A. Bill's leadership and experience we will all get to the finish line.

I think Kevin is right if we all stick together and start communicating now, we will get farther ahead when our fearless mentor gets aboard.

How are your guys training logs? I need to complete mine more, (body measurements, etc..)
I have been following the TNO 10week beginner oly training program, Into week 3 now.

Talk to you guys soon. Tom

2007-06-13 10:08 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
I signed up for the 25 mile distance... .5 mile swim (gasp) 20 mile bike (I should be OK for this now) and 5 mile run (I might have the BIG one if I run the whole way)...

I am doing the 20 week training program and will ramp up the running as I get closer to the event...

I am trying to figure out what to do about swimming, I might take a "masters" class at my local Y to figure out what the heck I am doing... I swam last night for 12 minutes (as prescribed in "week 1") and I was pretty tired at the end... I only touched bottom when I made turns in the shallow end of the pool... I did about 150m total in the 12 minutes... alternating between "freestyle" and some sort of breaststroke/paddle and some time on my back to mix it up and allow myself to breathe a bit... the 20 minute swim I have scheduled for tomorrow is daunting at this point in time...

I'm not too concerned with the run, besides getting shin spints, but I'll just keep the tempo manageable...

I bike to work 7.5 miles each way 3 days a week and am attempting to do my first 40 mile ride this weekend... we'll see how that goes...

oh and I have done nothing with the log YET... that is tonights project... I also have to decide if I want to pay for a membership.. which will be unlikely...

Edited by luhitech 2007-06-13 10:10 AM
2007-06-13 10:23 AM

Hi Joshua,

Sounds like you are on the right track. I could barely swim 50 a month ago and am now up to 400-600m without stopping now. I change it up too. Breathing, continuous rhythmical breathing has been the challenge but it is getting better. I applaud your efforts, one pride swallowing thing I've learned thus far is not to be afraid to ask questions of other swimmers (the ones that swim like dolphins). It has really helped.

I havent upgraded my membership yet, but I think I will, looks like there are alot of good articles in there. I am working under the umbrella of "proper preparation will prevent poor performance" and the thirst for written knowledge can only help practical application.

Keep up the good work. We are all in this together in one way or another.

Tom
2007-06-13 1:46 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
reading through the general forum I found a swim workout for 0 to 1650 in 6 weeks... I am going to give that a try... the link is...

http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

looks pretty doable... just means more swim time is needed

Edited by luhitech 2007-06-13 1:47 PM
2007-06-13 3:25 PM

Nice find Joshua,

Lots of good insight on that link (other associated links). Going to the pool in a little while, will start to implement.

Just got my HR monitor in mail. It feels like Christmas.

Tom
2007-06-13 5:31 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
I just updated my training log yesterday. I am about to hit the road for a run and then the pool for a swim. Fun Times. .
I just realized that I have not given any background info. on myself as everyone else has. So here it goes. I am 34, single with no kids. I have completed 6-marathons, 5-1/2 marathons, and currently cycle for the Aarons cycling team in Atlanta, GA. . I have been swimming for most of my life but never competative.

Tom I see you are thinking about upgrading your membership. Have you thought about joining a tri club in your area. There are a few in Las Vegas that You might want to look into. They can help you with group training sessions, motivation and equipment. If you go to USA triathlon and click on their "Club" link you will be able to find the local clubs in your area. They usualy run about $40 for yearly membership dues.

Joshua, if you are doing most training alone, I would suggest the same to you. When I started cycling, I was flying solo. I got hooked up with the Aarons team and they have made a world of difference. From group rides to general tech. info on bikes they are always willing to help out. You also mentioned shin splints. I have been there along with planter fasciatus (sorry for the misspelling). I started using Dr. Schoals orthotic inserts $5.00 and have not had any problems since. They are heaven sent.

Keep trainging everyone.

2007-06-13 8:03 PM

Hi Kevin,

I joined USAT and local tri club..(just got my membership card in the mail) I think they are kinda reorganizing right now, but from what I've read and some people I talked to, it will be a big help.

did a light swim workout this afternoon, just waiting for the temp to get below 100 before I go for evening run to the gym and some circuit training and core work.

You have some competitions under your belt at least. About 10 years ago I ran some 10Ks and 1/2 marathon. I have just started to get back into it, and am diggin it.

Im 43, divorced, no kids. I have faith in God and am a christian man. I am committed to being a well rounded person (Mentally, Physically, and Spiritually) kinda a triathalon in itself.

Hope you had a good workout.

Tom

2007-06-13 9:10 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Thanks Tom
I had a Great workout today. 2100 meters at a slow relaxed pace after pushing 5 miles run. Running is my weak point right now, so this was a good day for me. The temp hasn't reached over low 90's here so far. It has been pretty pleasant. Perfect for being outside.

Keep training hard and stay focused.
2007-06-14 8:26 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
I have a group that I work with on biking... hopefully, if we dont get a biblical flood this weekend (severe storms ALL weekend) I will get in a 40+ mile ride on saturday... if not I will try and atleast get in a 20+ miler... I hear you on having someone to train with... I will look into local clubs and such... the place I would need the most help would be in the pool... having someone there prodding me along would be helpful... my running partner will be my iPod mini... but I can also run with people here at my school in the mornings... I have already convinced our cross country coach to do the tri with me, and am working on a couple of others... it's easy to coerce people who are skinnier and more in shape than you to do something like this because they see you and say... hey, if that tub-o can do it... so can I!

thanks for the good pointers! I'm glad to be chatting with some others doing the same stuff!

oh... and I plan to get out during my lunch hour and do my 20 minute swim... I am starting the 6 weeks to 1650 program next week... I just want to get "in the pool" and swim some laps before I get to "training"...

happy training all!

2007-06-14 10:00 PM

Hi Joshua, Hi Kevin

Just stopped in to say hello and to see if our fearless leader has appeared. He must be busy with kids and summer or something. Anyway happy training gonna swim and run tonite and have a sports conditioning and abs class in the a.m.

Here's to hummin the original Rocky soundtrack when you train.

Tom

2007-06-15 9:40 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Subject: RE: The Mac's training group - FULL
got out for the swim yesterday... today is bike (commute) and the short run this evening... tomorrow is long bike, and sunday is long run...

I also did weight training today... back and biceps... good stuff! hope all is well with you guys

TRAIN ON!

2007-06-15 5:58 PM

Hi Joshua, Bronze ribbon on the computer.....Gold on race day!!!!!!! keep on training fellas

What is this about MACs group being full .... Are we invited? anyone talk to him? Just curious Tom
2007-06-15 9:32 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
I've had zero communication... guess he's busy training...

40+ mile ride tomorrow... really lookin forward to it...
2007-06-16 8:38 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
You guys are awesome!  I will be going through each of your training logs today and dropping some inspires and some messages.  Keep up the good work!
2007-06-16 9:17 AM

Hi Bill, see you are online wanted to drop a hello. On my way to the job. Take care Tom
2007-06-16 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Hey guys!  Don't forget to log your workouts.  I was indeed MIA since Weds. when you guys started posting.  I'm a public school teacher and work as a waiter in the summer months to survive.  My waiting schedule is hectic and often "hit and miss" which makes for difficulty sticking to a good workout schedule.  This should be different next week.  In fact, I was going to relax this morning until I got the message from Ron about my group and then decided to take my lazy a$$ to the pool so THANKS for motivating me to do something today.

2007-06-16 8:03 PM

User image

Kennesaw, GA.
Subject: RE: The Mac's training group - OPEN for 2 more people!
Hey Everybody,
Josh, how was your ride today? Have fun on your run tomorrow.
Bill it is good to hear from you. I can understand about the hectic schedule. I have 2 jobs myself. Life would be hard without them. Also as you stated "In fact, I was going to relax until " I got on this message board and "then decided to take my lazy a$$" outside for a run, "so THANKS for motivating me to do something today". I am off to run.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2007-06-16 8:36 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
ride was great... ended up doing 35 miles... the group wanted to go faster at the end of the ride and that burned me out pretty good... so one of them took me home instead of me riding home from the ride (would have been an extra 12 miles)... I was wiped... took a good nap... got on the scale after the ride and was at 312... after dinner and eating today I probably bumped back up to 315... but still going down overall... 1st "run" tomorrow... we'll see how it goes... have a great evening all!
2007-06-17 5:40 PM
in reply to: #847202

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

luhitech - 2007-06-16 9:36 PM ride was great... ended up doing 35 miles... the group wanted to go faster at the end of the ride and that burned me out pretty good... so one of them took me home instead of me riding home from the ride (would have been an extra 12 miles)... I was wiped... took a good nap... got on the scale after the ride and was at 312... after dinner and eating today I probably bumped back up to 315... but still going down overall... 1st "run" tomorrow... we'll see how it goes... have a great evening all!

Careful with the knees...it's the one thing we big guys have to be wary of, especially the impact they take during running.  Don't over-do it.

2007-06-17 8:45 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
did my walk/run tonight... 1 minute walk:1 minute run... repeat 10 times... 20 minutes total plus a 4-5 minute cool down... feel good... harder than I thought... but I did it... using the Nike Beginners 5k run plan... I'll try and attach it here... today was day 1

Attachments
----------------
beginners-5k.pdf (56KB - 53 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Mac's training group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 6