Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone lived in Beijing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-25 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Anyone lived in Beijing?

Tell me about it.

I might have the oppurtunity to go over there as an expat.  I have already done one rotation in Melbourne Australia so I know the whole "make sure your spouse is on board" routine. 

2007-05-26 7:57 PM
in reply to: #817820

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Anyone lived in Beijing?
Maybe someone will respond that has personally worked there...

I have a friends that have gone over there to work for various tech companies and architectural firms. Everyone I've talked to has really liked it - but they were all either single or empty nesters. The one guy I know that was an expat american raised for part of his life turned out pretty weird, but that may have just been genetics

I've work with a lot of native chinese and they and all of the ones from beijing love it. Their happiness seems to be a little bit blind, though, as most of them below the age of 30 aren't willing to say *anything* bad about china. Granted I'm dipping out of a pretty small pool, though.

Humorous true china story - Middle aged man is driving down a one way road and runs into a construction road block. He waits for 5 minutes until it becomes clear that they have no intention of stopping to let him by, so he turns his car around and starts to drive back going the wrong direction. Suddenly he hears a siren and looks up to see a police car coming right at him, he stops the car but the police car rams into him anyway doing serious damage to his car and ejecting his air bags. By the time he gets out, the chinese cop is yelling at him in broken english: "This no America! You in china now! You no do that here, this china! You in china now!" Still dazed from the wreck and not a fluent chinese speaker, he tries to express the situation but the guy is locked in on him. It isn't until another car passes going the wrong way that the cop finally looks up and sees the construction blocking the road. Immediately he starts to apologize profusely, hops in his car, and drives off.

Besides all that, I don't know anyone (even that guy) that hasn't enjoyed their time there...the only complaints are about the food! Make sure your family likes dim sum
2007-05-27 12:08 AM
in reply to: #817820

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: Anyone lived in Beijing?
I've never lived there, but I've spent some time in China.  I loved it there!  People are so friendly!  Personally I don't think I could live there because I couldn't deal with the crowds.  There are people everywhere all the time!  Traffic/driving is insane!  I was so glad I didn't have to drive while there but I was holding on for dear life every time I got in a car!  Oh, and pedestrians don't have the right of way there....so ya really gotta watch out when crossing the street!  Really though, if you can handle huge crowds and lots and lots of activity, i'd say go for it.  People were generally very receptive to us as Americans and random people would approach us and ask to practice their english with us.  Oh, and the food is AWESOME!   
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone lived in Beijing? Rss Feed