of 13

2007-09-11 10:06 PM
in reply to: #960427

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Runnertridu Girl Group
Thx for your kind words Eric.

I'm not a 'feely' kinda guy, but the energy I got from fellow participants, spectators and volunteers is difficult to put into words.

I'd highly recommend you folks give IM a try - you won't regret it.

2007-09-12 7:28 AM
in reply to: #960997

User image

Expert
leapdog - 2007-09-11 10:06 PM

Thx for your kind words Eric.

I'm not a 'feely' kinda guy, but the energy I got from fellow participants, spectators and volunteers is difficult to put into words.

I'd highly recommend you folks give IM a try - you won't regret it.

IM is a long term goal for me. Next season a few more sprints and then Oly and we'll see where it goes. One of my training issues is integrating the training w/ bike road racing w/ Tri training.

As an example I have a TT this Sunday which requires a different type of training to peak. I love the full on intensity of TT's. If you ever want to feel drained to the max try a 12-15 mile TT. They're no joke exhausting. You need to maintain a pace that has you at the edge of your AT more than just under it. YOur legs hurt from your toes to your thighs and you can not allow yourself to let up for a nano second.

By the TT's end all you can do is lean over your bike and slump....

My wife still doesn't understand the allure of endurance sports...lol

Eric J
2007-09-12 7:55 PM
in reply to: #818033

User image

Richmond, VA

hey all, I haven't really dropped off the face of the earth, it just seems like it.

Cognrats to you amazing people!  Leap, was a huge accomplishment and such an awesome story to get ot share.  Michelle girl, you are larger than life!  I am very inspired to be one of your mentees!!

As for me, just running, trying to beat the heat.  I've got my first M coming up in Nov and then signed up for my second in January at Disney.  After that, I'll start my tri focus a little stronger.

You all rock!! 

2007-09-12 8:20 PM

User image

Richmond, VA
by the way Michelle, I look forward to seeing you race in Richmond!! 
2007-09-12 9:36 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hey Bat

Those marathons are nothing to snicker @ one thing I've learned you always, always respect the distance... Disney is one my to do list - the finisher medal is worth the trip!! I just need a job first!!! Still hunting

As we get closer would love to get your # and visit - think i will have some time... going to share room w/ one of the peeps - would like to get some good places to eat etc.

Had to mess w/ Leap - he's not even done any workouts yet!! LOL I'd be taking 6 months off!!

Eric: Have the same issues with biking - cycle world just does not always fit - running is an easier plug in for races... learning more about bike racing from other team members - we've not even talked century rides and the like... declined a lot of those this year

I decided i had to pick a focus for each new season - and go with it. LC Du & 1/2 IM fit nicely.
TT and crites - not in the picture - Coach also said no - tooo dangerous for me @ this point.
But the Oly Tri i did was just like a TT - flat and no rest - it was brutal - made the 56 1/2 IM look easy!!

I also feel i'm on borrowed time @ 44 - i'm sure the slowing will happen - want to have a few more seasons of FAST!!
2007-09-12 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
snip>>I also feel i'm on borrowed time @ 44 - i'm sure the slowing will happen - want to have a few more seasons of FAST!! <<

lol... Youngun! I'm 47, I race with a guy 52 and another 56. I know 60 year olds that will tear your legs off on a bike...

I may not win any overalls but I plan on ripping it up big time in my AG...

I am blessed w/ my Mom's great genes. She's 81 and still running strong!

Eric J

2007-09-13 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
All this cycling talk has me thinking about what I can do in the off season to increase my power next year. I have heard that cycling is where weight work can really help increase speed. Any suggestions from you cyclists as to any specific weight work or plyometrics I can do to increase my power on the bike next season?

I've got a charity metric century coming up in a next weekend (my longest ride to date!), then the Army Ten Miler on Oct. 7. I plan to cross train (hiking, rowing, fitness classes, yoga, pilates, etc.) for the rest of October and maybe the beginning of November to give myself a mental break before starting some focused off-season work on my cycling power and swim stroke starting in November.

Oh yeah, after Sunday's race I hired a swim coach - my first lesson is Tuesday. I hope it will payoff in a better swim leg next season! My stroke is so bad now that I honestly think I may be able to pick up close to 10 minutes in my Olympic Tri time by working on swimming. I want to see how that goes before spending the money on a Total Immersion weekend clinic.

2007-09-13 8:13 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Jessica:

For me i don't do anything really special for weight training - just do some squats w/ low weights, leg press, extension and ham string curls - pretty basic. No pylometrics - just core (lots of sit ups and push ups) I use a fit ball.

Last off season and because we had a crazy snowy winter rode the indoor trainer on the weekends - 3 hour rides Sat- and 2 hour rides Sunday then we started bricks in spring.

Eric: jump in - for me power has been about getting on the saddle and riding (i also started swimming last dec) sooo added a new sport - that did help me overall fitness.

Have fun w/ swimming lesson - I went to a 16 week tri specific swim clinic - once a week - huge difference for me - make sure you let them know you want to do tri's - sometimes the swim peeps don't get that and want to teach you all about other strokes - stuff you don't need for tris. (my 2 cents) Found there were a few stroke corrections - then it comes down to just like running and biking... time in the water. You'll always be better season2 w/ base and speed work (that's the hardest part)

Anybody have tips for keeping a fast pace swimming alone?? Still have a hard time - gotta find swim buddies!! Swmming is still least fav for me - still have it on my training schedule!

M

2007-09-13 4:53 PM

User image

Hey, guys!

You all are so amazing!! I am sooo inspired!!!!

My last tri was on Aug. 26 and I have one more on Oct. 6 this season. Most of my focus has been the swim and bike. Not much of a runner. I was on a run/walk program b/c I did't want to hurt myself but my HR stays like 130max. At my last tri I out swam & bike my friend but she smoked me on the run. So now I am determined to work on it! The run/walk thing is out the window and I am just going to run. I figure I have two more weeks to work on it. So far so good. I running 3miles x2 and a 4mil x1 per week. My next tri has a 4mile run in it.

Michelle - When I have swim workouts alone, I like to do fast sets. Then I am racing with the clock. Like Broken 100yd. Per 100yd take a 10sec rest @ 50yd then 5sec rest @75yd. subtract the 15sec and that is your fast 100yd. Then do a 50 easy. Repeat the set. What do you think?

Have to go baby is crying.
Kristina
2007-09-13 7:08 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Kristina:

Will try the swim workouts - i just get lazy and like to glide in the water lol - Hard to keep up the pain of swimming fast!

I kinda like the pain in running and biking - strange!!

With your running - i would throw in some pick-ups or surges one of my fav workouts are ladders - 2 mile warm up - then 5 min hard pace (race pace) then one min recovery - 4 min hard again 1 min recovery - 3 2 1 then cool down -mile it will help to increase your speed and legs will feel refreshed - about 5 miles total - soooo little longer for you - you could start w/ 4 or 3 min - just to test it out... Let me know how it works for u!! Teaches the body to run faster and still get hrt down on recovery!

M
2007-09-14 7:45 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
All this talk about running and swimming makes me want to get back on the road and into the pool! 'Bout time to get back at it.

Post IM recovery has gone pretty darn well. I was only on Advil for a couple days. Wednesday I got on my bike, TH in the pool and ran a few mi's today.

I'll be taking it pretty easy for a while and doing my 5th consecutive Twin Cities Marathon in early Oct. My season will then be done and I'll be back to base building thru the winter.

What have you all got planned for winter?

2007-09-15 12:00 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hybernating!!! LOL

FYI Leap - shared the video with our Tri swimming coach - he decided all newbies will have to have some hazing :-) for the upcoming swim sessions!!!

M

Hot Chocolate w/ whipped cream - and lots of it!!!
2007-09-15 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Tar- Michelle's weight work is great but as you progress you may want to add calf raises and some upper body work. Most imprtant of all is your core work. Your ab region is very integral to your stability, balance and power on the bike. I would go so far as to say core work is more important than weight work for your cycling power.

More important than all the above though is base mileage in the off season. I ride through the winter, outdoors as low as 28F as long as there's no ice. If you don't have a trainer get one, take spin classes if you can. If you can find a LBS that gives classes where you can use your own bike on a trainer do that. MUCH better workout.

Base mileage is about getting in lots and lots of miles while keeping the HR in those low to mod zones. It almost sounds counter productive and I have to hold myself back from hammering but the results will be there...

btw; Ended up not being able to train the last 3 days and have a tough time trial race tomorrow. Its a 14 mile very hilly course that I do as an individual then later that day as part of a 2 man team. WHen the rain clears up today I'll be going out with the team for a light spin and to talk tactics.

Then Sept 29th my season closes w/ a Sprint...

Eric J
2007-09-15 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the tips, Eric & Michelle. I do not have a trainer for my bike yet, but plan to get one once the weather turns in a few months. Also, our LBS does host indoor spin classes in the winter where we can use our bikes and hook them up to trainers and a cool big screen monitor. We watched the classes last winter when we were shopping for our bikes, and the classes looked pretty cool. It was also a way for folks who ride a different speeds to all ride together. Looked much more challenging than the spin classes we did at the gym last winter. That's also a good hint on core work - I have been neglecting it lately and need to work it back in. A stronger core should also help me on the swim. One of the Gale Bernhardt books I have shows some weight work specific to triathletes that I may start to work in to my weights routine.

Is it strange that I am sort of looking forward to the off season? After making it through my first season of triathlons, I have learned there is lots I can work on to improve. I guess that's one of the benefits of periodization!
2007-09-16 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Race report: Silvermine Time Trial-

The course is almost 15 miles with some climbs and rollers that just suck the life out of you but the reward is a thrashing mile+ long downhill...

First let me thank Westwood Velo for hosting a top notch event. The
atmosphere was very low-pressure despite the hefty competition at the
top of the cats. How can you not like a race at which Hendrix and
Zeppelin are playing at the registration tent!

Competing in Toga kit were myself (Eric J), Frank F, Dave H, Frank P,
& Jeff Wexler. Also there were Scott and Matt who have not
"officially" joined yet but I know they will soon...

There was something in the area of 250 racers ranging from Juniors as
young as 12 to Cat1's competing for the NJ Championship and everything
inbetween.

We parked and got out in the 46 degree mountain air... It was BRrrrr
cold and the first issue was what to wear. Bevin(our shop support) set the bikes up on
trainers and Hoech and I jumped on first to warm up as we were up
early since we were doing the Ind and Team TT.

Start time neared and I went out to hit the road a bit before the
start. On the way out I met RBC Thursday night regulars Amy and
Larry. They came up to watch the race and do some hollerin'.

(Rockland Bicycling Club is the club I started with before racing)

I hit the road and as I started rolling back towards the start a car
goes by whose occupants start a whoopin' and a-hollerin' as they pass.
It is of course those crazy RBC girls Sheryl and Maria coming up to
check out the race, racers and the badass machines.

Hoech's wife and 2 gorgeous kids were there as well as was Scott's sig
other(wife/girlfriend?). Looked like we were going to have a nice
cheering section.

Start time came! I had run the course the week prior in 46m30s and set
a goal of breaking 45m in the race. The start is on a gradual climb
that ends steep before the turn onto the rollers. My plan was to pace
up the climb and not expend too much energy...yeah, right.

I got the 3-2-1-go and took off. Hoech went off 30 secs after me and
30 secs after that he passed me...

I found out when I got back that the announcer gave me a shout out of
sorts when I started as the TOGA bullpen shouted and whooped to get me
going; "The first Gotham rider is off", he said, "And by the sound of
it he must be a fan favorite". That's worth the entire race!

Despite my mental planning I still hit the climb harder than I should
have and was a bit shagged at the top. Of course how would I know how
hard I was working? I forgot to set my HR monitor AND also forgot to
reset my computer. So I was completely in the dark about my time/HR etc...

I hit the rollers and felt just a bit off. I definitely took the hills
slower than I wanted but ran the rollers in decent fasion for the most
part. I am still coasting too much but my recovery time is getting
better. I made the turnaround and headed back to the searing pain of
the rollers and that damn final climb before the circle back to the
ripping downhill to the finish.

That climb is hell after going all out for 12 miles!

I made it over, did a slingshot round the circle and hit the downhill.
I pushed hard knowing here is where I can make up time. I came across
the line hard and fast to the TOGA pen cheering and immediately
slumped over my bike... I was B-E-A-T! And I had about 25 minutes to
go before the Team TT.

Hoech was already in so we hit the head, ate and waited w/ the gang
while we watched racers including Frank, my main training partner, come charging across the finish.

Soon our time came and off we went. It was tough as we had no practice
as a TT Team and Hoech's a lot faster than me. The initial climb
staggered me and Hoech dropped back to allow me to set the pace up the
climb.

Once on the rollers Hoech tried shouting instructions but hearing was
tough. We fell into sync for a few miles, each pulling for 10 pedal
strokes then dropping back. This ended when we hit the climbs to
Sebago though we kept at a good pace, for me anyway...

We hit the turnaround just after passing one other team, thank heaven
for small victories. The way back was tough as Hoech had to wait for
me for a good bit. He's simply much stronger than me and with him up
ahead I had no body pulling me along and the wind had smacked us hard.
We soon got together and Hoech really did the bulk of the work as we
came around the last circle to the downhill finish.

I shouted out for him to go as I know the downhills are my thing,
Hoech thought I said, "I'm Done" and shouted for me to "push we're
there!" or something to that effect.

I popped into the 53 and pushed to the 12 and ripped it! Hoech and I
went back and forth as we hit 41-42 at points until we finally came
screaming in to lots of cheering and shouting! I was cooking, slamming
my pedals hard as the bike weaved back and forth with the effort.

The times were put up quickly:
My first run came in at 45m:40s, not the 45 I was hoping to break but
still 50seconds faster than my preview run the week before.
Our Team TT came in at...EXACTLY THE SAME TIME! WIERD!

Its a great feeling coming into the finish with people cheering you on regardless of your finish time. We met some great people and shared war stories with the community of racers and quite simply had a blast!

Eric J
2007-09-17 3:17 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Wow, normal TT sounds intense. Two man TT is even MORE intense. Glad you're happy with your finish. Sounds like a tough course.

2007-09-17 3:21 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
WOW - sounds like a fun time - hitting 40's crazy fast!!!
GREAT RIDING!!

I wanna tri one now 2!!
2007-09-18 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Hey all... It looks like they published my second article, an essay really, here on BeginnerTri. Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Hope you enjoy....

Eric J
2007-09-18 6:07 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
One word Eric:

OUTSTANDING

Edited by michlmead 2007-09-18 6:08 PM
2007-09-19 6:20 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
One more word. Impressive.
2007-09-19 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Great essay, Eric! I really enjoyed reading it.

2007-09-19 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
I had my first session with the swim coach last night. It was fantastic. We worked for 30 minutes where she corrected my stroke and kick. (Who knew I had issues with my kick?!?) At the end of the session, my swim form was 10 times better (her words, not mine). Next week we will work on perfecting my form, then extending the number of strokes I take between breaths. Now I breathe every stroke, always on the right side. She says taking less breaths will make me faster and more efficient. She is also going to plan some workouts to increase my endurance. I am really looking forward to this and think it will be a huge help to my swim leg. On my last tri I wore myself out so much on the swim that I could not compete as well on the bike or run. If any of you have issues with your swim, I highly recommend a swim coach or private swim lessons!
2007-09-19 12:09 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I'll 2nd the swim coach and raise you a 'Masters Swim Class'. Once you get your form dialed in, consider working with one of these.

I really like my swim coaches. Glad you found value as well.
2007-09-20 7:21 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the hint about masters swim. I have considered it, but need to be a bit more confident with my stroke and feel as if I could "hang" before joining. After a few sessions with my coach, I may ask her if she suggests any particular masters group.

How has ironman recovery been going?
2007-09-20 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Tar- Nice work on the swim. I'll be working on that in about a month. Been a long tough first season for this 47 year old. I'll be riding and running to watch the leaves turn for a while. The coach and I will start setting up my off season next week.

So this season I did 5 Road races, 2 Time trials and ny first Tri. I had planned on another on the 29th but it was cancelled. I rode the other day with no purpose other than to ride and it felt GREAT!

Eric J
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  

of 13