Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-09-22 5:37 PM
in reply to: #818033

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Runnertridu Girl Group
IM recovery has gone as planned; very well. I've been fairly active the past couple weeks with light swim/bike/running but nothing out of zone 2 HR.

I got a wild hair to enter my club (pool swim) sprint tri tomorrow. I hate to see the 'outsiders' come in and take our local titles so I figure I'll give 'er a go. Weather is supposed to be perfect so it'll be an enjoyable end to the tri season.

2007-09-23 12:16 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Check this out folks. I won my first (albiet small) event! This is SO cool considering I'm still hanging a bit from IMWI.

It was such a gorgeous day it was just a joy to be out there. Fun stuff!
2007-09-23 1:54 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
WON!!!! YOU RULE !!!, we'll just call you MR. IRONMAN!!

Where's the report???
2007-09-23 5:39 PM
in reply to: #975702

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Believe me, I'd much rather finish 1170th in an IM than 1st in a local sprint. It was nice to put a whoopin' on the young guys.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Couple weeks till TCM then it's time to rest.

Way to get back into your schedule Michelle. Good to see you get back at it.

2007-09-27 3:39 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OK - i think i just became a bike geek (cheap one) but a bike geek just the same... got a job!! So went and got a new Mountain Bike for winter training!! (very low end sooo don't get too excited) I like the upright position - still tweaking seat and going to get shoes and pedals... here it is...

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp?deptid=14&itemid=221&childid=4...

PS: it does match the color of my car - and it's women's model - tried the men's small - just did not fit as well!

Edited by michlmead 2007-09-27 3:43 PM
2007-09-27 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
New bike...yummie! Enjoy. You don't want anything expensive for the winter. Between the salt, the crap that inevitably gets into every nook and cranny and the wet yuck left behind from snow you'll be cleaning w/ toothpicks constantly.

I use my Bianchi Pista fixie for winter training... LOVE that bike.

Enjoy your new ride....

Eric J

2007-09-27 7:02 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Ohhh you have a fixie - you R a geek!!!
2007-09-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #982169

User image

Expert
michlmead - 2007-09-27 7:02 PM

Ohhh you have a fixie - you R a geek!!!

Okay, okay, its a Bianchi Pista "Track" bike....

whew... that was close!

Eric J
2007-09-30 2:54 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Group:

Working on race report - don't have all the splits - Powerman Event 2007 Long Course Nationals
I'm still stunned... Won the 40-44 age group for women - got a custom jersey (says National Champion) and plaque. Crazy hard course - one word HILLS - 12-13% grades (they painted the roads - just sooo you would know!)

8k 4.8 miles think my first run 6:43 pace - 36 mile bike (not sure time) - 8k think last run was 7:35 pace - did not hit my watch - battery was going on the bike!! Will post with real race report!

Perfect weather 50's @ start - sunny got up to 70's no humidity!

M
2007-09-30 6:29 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Way to go Michelle! I'm soooo excited for you and am glad to know a national champ!

Get that RR up and fill us in on the gorey details.

Jeff
2007-10-03 9:18 AM

Hey there. I would love to be a part of your group. I am another Newbie. I have done two Sprints this past year. Both of them were in May, and they were back to back weekends. I survived them, but wished they were not so close together. I trained some for them in April and May, you can look at my training logs during that time. I did lose about 9 lbs since Jan this year up to that point. Have a biking background, because me and my husband run a bicycle shop here in town. I just need to get more time in saddle. I feel comfortable with distances, just need to gain speed and recovery on hills. Just started swimming at the Y this year, to get in shape. Decided I could do this and in Feb was when I decided to enter a Tri. I have only ran a few 5K's and my times really stink. This coming Feb I will be 40, but I don't think I look it. This has been a year to take care of myself. I am proud of what I did this year, but want to be more competitive and learn how to improve more. I have two girls, ages 10 & 13 and have been married for 16 yrs. My husband is a good coach on the bike. He really helps me when I get out there with him. --- You can read my race report of one of my races. I don't think I did the other one on here. I have just recently this past month started back with training and updating my training log. -- My goals for next year would be to improve my times from this past year. I would like to run the 5K in less than 30 mins. My times on it now are around 32-34 mins, which is about 12 mph. People keep telling me to do sprints and I will get faster. I feel like I don't have the form for running. I feel heavy on my feet, although some days I do feel good. Just this past month, I was able to run 6 miles nonstop. I had never done that before. OH WELL....... Sorry to be babbling on. I will go for now. I look forward to talking with everyone.

I have the biking knowledge if you need it. My husband fits people on bikes and I know that the proper fit on a road bike is the key. I would say to start with a good road bike and not go to a Tri bike for only Sprint races. CARBON is good, better feel for longer riding. Get the right seat height, stem length, and get clipless pedals. Good pedals are SPEEDPLAY. They are very easy to click in and out of. "Light Action" Speedplay is the newest model that came out last year and they are great. They make them in PINK for you ladies.

Well, hope to talk soon. Looking forward to tips on the following.......

Becoming a Better Runner...... Feel more comfortable and also to get faster.
Becoming a Better Swimmer ...... Lasting longer in the water, and not take breaks on the wall.
Becoming a Better Biker ........ Hill Climbing and Recovery

Overall becoming a Better Triathlete............ This is what I want to do. This is what excites me. I love the training, of how you can pick either sport and go with it. Not everybody understands it and thinks it is crazy.

Thanks........ Christine

2007-10-06 8:18 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Christine:

Welcome!! We are all coming to the end of our seasons - would love to have you join the group! After Virginia - i will go into a recovery phase then start winter ramp up for 2008 - already looking @ races for next season!! It sounds like you have a good start... I would set some goals for 2008 and build from there. Like to work back from the Selected "A" races! We have a great group here... We all learn from each other!

Sorry for the delay in posting! Been little behind lately :-)

WE ARE ALL CRAZY!!

Michelle

Edited by michlmead 2007-10-06 8:21 AM
2007-10-06 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome Christine...

Well I'm already registered for Timberman in Aug 08. A bunch of us will be going up for the entire weekend to do the Sprint on Sat then party that night and watch the Half on Sunday...

Eric J
2007-10-06 9:22 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Season officially ends for me tommorow after the Twin Cities Marathon. I too will take some time off for recovery, then start putting a plan together for winter maintenance.

Agenda for 08 now includes IMWI in Sept. I'll work with my coach to determine what races would best compliment the IM training plan.

I'm sure most/part of this group will band together again next year. It's fun to read about each others experiences and we're learning something new all the time.

2007-10-06 12:34 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Good Luck @ TWIN CITIES!!One of my Fav courses - looks like weather should be perfect... it's little warm here!! 50's @ the start - i will be hoping no rain 4 you!!! Remember the 1st 10k is your warm up - you are really racing 2 easy 10 mile races - the 2nd 10 miler is where you want you PR. Use your heart rate zones - and don't spike the LT in the first few miles :-)

The course as i remember it rolls - i like to work the uphills and relax on the down - fast cadence!! RUN FAST THROUGH THE WALL!!! :-)

m
2007-10-06 1:07 PM
in reply to: #994718

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Thx for all the nice mental notes Michelle. I'm planning to run with my fellow IM buddy and we're really only running for fun but should end up sub 4 depending upon if we roast.

Last 6 mi of the course is gradual incline. I've always struggled a bit on it and will take your 'run thru the wall' to heart.

Last race of the year so I'll do my best.

JR

2007-10-07 1:54 PM

User image

Hey everyone!

Just finished my Last sprint Tri this season Oct. 6th and Boy it was a challenging one! The swim felt great! The bike was hilly. I swear I thought my bike pedometer was wrong for the first 5 miles. There were a lot of climbs. I live in a FLAT area so I don't get to do hills that often. Also the run felt good. There was also a couple of long hills. Not use to them but I felt I finished strong!

Thanks Michelle for the running set. It helped! Whenever I run with my friend, I run faster. But when I am by myself, I run slower and so the running set helped me keep the faster pace.

I knew the tri had hills so I made my husband go with me on a 35 mil hilly ride on Canalow(a well known hill in the next town over). The poor guy hasn't been on a bike in two months. He did really well but I tried to push it at the end and I just about killed him.

I am also going to take it easy for the next few days. And figure out my next seasons tri's & off season workouts. Take it easy!

Kristina

2007-10-07 3:23 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
GREAT Job!! Let's see he time and splits too!! Going to check on Jeff @ Twin Cities.

Heard Chicago - they were dropping like flies due to heat!! Jus got back from a local race TowPath Marathon - My training partner Roger - won the overall - he's 45 and ran down a 30 year old from Michigan - I was SOOO Happy for him - he's been training hard glad to se him win the Overall title - 2:53 was his time!! it is tough when it's sooo hot and humid this late in the season!! Fun to watch!!

M
2007-10-08 10:26 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OK Troops...

We are all wrapping the 2007 season - Let's hear what worked best for you this season with the good - let's review what worked great and what was not soooo good. Here's some of my examples

The Good...
Best nutrition on bike and run for me is: GU - (triberry & straw banana)
Heart Rte monitor :Timex - ladies IM - best $99.00 i spent
Arriving @ races not over trained.
Mizuno Wave Rider Shoes for runs.
Q Roo full wet suit
Pink Visor for sun and rain & Trifosi Sunglasses (multi- lenses)
Indoor bike trainer for winter riding

Not sooo good... Cycling shorts for running (pads just to uncomfortable and bulky)
Learning to pee without getting off the bike in long races
Need better road bike!!
Learning to swim in openwater w/ waves and current (swimming better overall)

2007-10-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: #997837

User image

Master
, Minnesota
The Good...
Best nutrition on long bike is Perpetuem (Hammer)
Special tire for use on an indoor trainer (Continental)
Fluid trainer for indoor use (Fan is too loud)
HED race/training wheels (tri spoke and deep rim)
Xlab wing bottle/gear holder works pretty slick for behind the seat gear.
Tri shorts (Sugoi, Tyr and Pearl Izumi) all work best for biking and or/bricks
Masters swim class/TI instruction
Coach: Put together a plan that I followed and put me in a position for success on race day.

Not sooo good...
Open water navigation. Need to get good at it to quit lengthening my swim.
Vittoria race tires. Flatted many times and only lasted a couple hundred miles. Not good to train on 'em.
Running in the heat. I need to learn to hydrate/fuel better than I do

There's a start.
2007-10-09 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Hey, all! I am back again after getting over a really nasty cold last week (I highly recommend Emergen-C to shorten the length of colds). Ended up skipping the Army Ten Miler on Sunday so as not to risk a relapse - I was really just running for fun with some friends. Sort of bummed, but with the heat I think it turned out to be the right decision. We were out there cheering, though. It was fun to cheer and spectate for once! Did you hear a 25 year old man died 200 yards from the finish line? That was a reminder to take care in the heat and stay hydrated/fueled - need to remember that for next summer.

I will be back later to post the good and the not so good. I am hoping to get started working on my training plan for the off season and into next season today - I have never done one before, so I am hoping it will help keep me focused this off season.

Also, a big congrats to Michelle, Jeff and Kristina for your recent races. Michelle, I will be thinking of your racing in Richmond this weekend. We have plans here in DC this weekend so can't make it down to cheer you on, but I will be cheering from up I-95!

2007-10-09 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
The good:
Lots of hill training helped tremendously.
Used rollers all winter which improved my bike handling skills exponentially.
Hammergel for my on the fly nutrition has been great as well as Heed
Increased my bike speed by several miles per hour and got my sprint up to 33mph for a sustained 50 second burst on the the flats and 35 for a 20second interval.
Worked with a coach for my running and went from not being able to run because of the pain to a 3 mile run in 27m30s with no pain.
Got my swim rythm back after many years awy from the pool.
GOT A NEW GURU TRILITE TRI BIKE... That's pretty good, eh?
Joining BT and finding this group.

The Bad:
Using a wetsuit for the first time in my first Tri... Really, really bad idea.
Always going after the break rather than sitting in with the pack. Big energy waste.
Transition time... Bad is not adequate.
Choosing to race in one of the toughest road bike races of the season;Housatonic- I finished but it nearly broke me.
Not hitting or choosing my peaks very well.

The wrap- 5 road bike races, 2 Individual Time Trials, 1 Team Time trial and my first ever Triathlon...

Eric J

Edited by Courage 2007-10-09 7:52 PM
2007-10-11 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Here goes . . .

The Good:

Competed in three triathlons in first season (NYC was the highpoint!)
Nutrition on bike & run - Black Cherry Shot Blox & Gatorade
Best running shoes yet - Asics Gel Nimbus
Bought road bike and improved handling skills
Learned to clip in and ride aero
Overcame thyroid disease and did not let it get me down!
Listened to my body when training to avoid injury
Best tri shorts for races and bricks - Sugoi
Training for tris together has meant more quality time with my husband
Became a triathlete!

The Not-So-Good:

Swim training was deficient, so swim performance was too
Lack of motivation to train after NYC and before Reston, which led to poor performance
Thyroid issues did impede my training at times
Swim stroke needed more work
T1 was too long after being disoriented from the swim - need more swim/bike bricks
Thyroid-induced weight gain
Did I mention my swim is weak?

This is a helpful way for me to start thinking of goals for the off season and next year. We have started talking about our races, so I will be able to get my training plan together soon.

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2007-10-11 8:05 AM
2007-10-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #997837

User image

The Good:

Started swimming again while pregnant at 16 weeks.
Had Healthy baby girl!
Started swimming once I got the ok from Dr.
Dusted my bike & rode 2-3x/ wk since May
Carve Cannondale MTB shoes
Learned a lot and am very inspired by this group!!!
Complete 3 sprint tri this season (improved my time for each)

The Not so good:

Having to go back to work which cut into some of my training
Waking up EARLY for morning workouts most days of the week
Sportline HR monitor - Have to hold button for like 10s and sometimes it didn't work. I paid like $60. It is now my expensive work watch.
My running leg of the triathlon, It just stinks!!

Kristina

2007-10-18 7:54 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
GOOD LUCK to Michelle this weekend at Nationals! I will be rooting for you from down the road in Charlottesville!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  

of 13