Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-10-19 9:19 AM
in reply to: #818033

User image

Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: Runnertridu Girl Group

hey friends!! 

don't write me off jsut yet, I'm still out here plugging away.  I'm hoping to have time to volunteer for Michelle's Dua here in Richmond.  After I get 5 in that day my taper starts!  I have been a running machine getting ready for Richmond and have started swimming fairly regularly too!!  I do anywhere from 1000m-1500m but have a pusher friend who will get me further along.  Then it's just a matter of getting a decent bike. 

I'd love to start w/an OLY distance but there dont' seem to be too many around here so I think a sprint it will be.  My friend's are trying to get me psyched for HIM in White Lake? but not sure I'm in for that just yet.  I've got Richmond in Nov, a couple of HMs, Disney in Jan adn then we'll see.

Also maybe you can help me, lately I've been getting what can only be described at an electric shock feeling in my left knee when chargin up a hill.  It's not constant but seriously like someone has a voodoo doll of me and just sticks the pin in the knee.  No swelling, no pain any other time, a minor amount of clicking??  any thoughts? 

ok I'll try to be a good dooby and be more social :D

2007-10-19 11:34 AM

New user

Subject: Runnertridu Girl Group Mentee
Hi Michelle:

I have decided to make that leap and do my first tri and I was hoping that I can join the great online group you have created!

I'm live in Nebraska so training is going to be difficult with the windy conditions but I'm up for it. This past April, I walked a 1/2 marathon and realized that I have the capabilities to do anything now.

I hope I can join the group.

Shannon
2007-10-20 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Bat- Could be a couple things... I would check it out during this off-season. Could be Meniscus or your bands.... Both are degenerative in nature.

Catching it now when its just starting may save you a wasted season....

Eric J
2007-10-20 7:19 PM

User image

Richmond, VA

thanks Eric!

what bands?  IT?  well I've got Richmond M in 3 weeks and Disney in Jan so it's sadly not my off season.  I will keep a check on it though.

2007-10-24 7:11 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Peeps!! I'm Back....

What a great way to cap the season!!! Driving to Virginia this time of year was spectacular - full fall foliage was stunning. Arrived in Richmond on Thurs - got checked in - race transition area only 2 blocks away!! Perfect

Friday was opening cermonies and parade of nations then an athlete dinner. More relaxing waiting for Sunday! Bike and equipment check in scheduled for Sat.

Had the opportunity to pre ride the bike course - glad i did that - but it made me more nervous (more abou that later)

Weather perfect, for Sunday low in AM 49 - sunny and warming to 80's. Some wind but nothing major.

Got good R & R before race day! Sunday @ 5:00 came early womens race schedlued to go off on time 7:35 - pre race meal usual - yogurt, Gu, toast and a hot tea!

Race went off on time first 15k - 2 loop course not super fast over some cobble stones around walking path up several grades - level of athlete @ this event was fantastic - wow - and super supportive and nice!! Tried to stay in the mix and still run my race staying in the heart zones.
first run 9.3 miles (15k) in 1:04:16 at 6:54 / mile pace - felt great

The bike course was very technical with sharp turns - steep downhills w/ sharp turns at the bottom - or very bumpy with pot holes. (the course was designed by an extera guy) not road or aero friendly - the only thing Richmond did not do well - sweep the streets - lots of glass = lots of flats - I kissed my bike tires for staying inflated and finishing...
the bike 47.12 miles (76k) in 2:41:21 at average speed of 17.5 MPH
Did alot more breaking then normal - but live and learn - really helped riding on the bad Cleveland roads - and the sharp turns on the bike path!!

Started to get really warm sunny and in the 80's - 2nd run
felt slow - but gave it all i had!!
second run 4.65 miles (7.5k) 35:58 at 7:44 / mile pace

9th in age group 40-44 - 4:23 min

First Worlds in the books!! Had a great time met some wonderful people and have lasting memories - what i learned - got more work to do!! Back to base building - can't wait to see what 08' looks like!! Thanks for all the support and well wishes!!

PS: our own Dan Arnett aka Marvnett - is soooo smokin' Du World's was his "B" getting ready for 70.3 Worlds Clearwater 1/2 IM!! Always a pleasure to hang out with him!!!
Here's all the results from the event!!
http://www.duathlonworlds.com/duathlon_recap.htm

Michelle
2007-10-28 5:35 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Sounds like you had a great race, Michelle! That's too bad that Richmond did not sweep the roads like they should have.

I have moved into off season training and have actually been enjoying the transition period before more structured training starts up again.

I have signed up for a yoga class for fun and to work on my flexibility, have gone a few hikes to enjoy the fall weather (now that it is finally here!), am getting in some speed work and hill training for the Turkey Trot 5k my whole family plans to do on Thanksgiving Day and am continuing to work on my swimming. I actually felt like I had a break-through swim session (for me) today. I was able to get into a decent rhythm for the first time and left the pool feeling exhilarated feeling like I had I blast - that's never happened before. I think the sessions with the coach really are paying off! I have also looked into masters swim once I get more consistent with my stroke and think I found the group I would join.

Oh, I also joined one of the local tri clubs, so that should help my training.

What do the rest of you have planned for the off season?

Also, we plan to get a trainer for our bikes next weekend since the daylight hours are scarce. Do any of you have suggestions for a good one or suggestions for good workouts on the trainer?

2007-11-01 10:56 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Here's how I capped MY season:

http://www.smithfarmslabradors.com/pages/puppies.htm

What a bundle of energy!
2007-11-01 11:49 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
CONGRAT ON THE NEW BABY!!boy or girl?? One of each?? LOL :-)
2007-11-01 11:54 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
ONE 11 week old Female chocolate to replace what's missing since we put Syd down in June.

I can hardly wait to get home from work tonight!

2007-11-08 1:54 PM

User image

New user

Hi!
Is it too late to join this group? I'm looking to do my first Tri in the Spring and am just getting back into training. I starting training earlier this year in hopes of doing my first Tri in the summer. However my Outward Bound instructing schedule interfere. So here I am again at square one. Looking forward to sharing stories and reading lots of advice!
LOVE and PEACE!
Leanora
2007-11-08 2:13 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Based on how quiet this group has been as of late I'm thinking we'll disband for a few mo's. We'll start back up when the BT folks are looking to mentor folks for the spring season. Others thoughts?

2007-11-08 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
I'll obviously go with the majority rule on this but we could talk indoor training base mileage, off season programs, the new season of Heroes etc...

Like this morning I woke up to 24 degrees that got up to 28 by 8am. I am so not ready for that so I did a 45 minute interval session on the rollers followed by abs...

What about you all?

Eric J
2007-11-08 3:31 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Today I did an hr long session I call 'pain class'.

Bosu balance/lunge work
Interval treadmill (varying degrees (2-10), 10 mph, duration 60-35 secs)
Core work

A group of us that are doing IMWI next year are doing this with an instructor once a week to build some strength in the off season.

I'm slowly getting back into a rythm after taking some time off after Moo 07. Once I get my last weekend of deer hunting out of the way I'll be able to toss in a weekend long run and commence actually following a plan.

Take care folks!

2007-11-08 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Leap- You would love my property! Not quite an acre but you would think someone put down a salt lick with all the deer that camp out.

Eric J
2007-11-09 12:25 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Sorry man, I'm not into shooting the family pets!
2007-11-09 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1045745

User image

Expert
leapdog - 2007-11-09 12:25 PM

Sorry man, I'm not into shooting the family pets!

lol... Neither am I. In fact I'm a Fisherman not a Hunter. I was speaking from the perspective of enjoying their beauty and majesty.

I come home some nights and catch them at rest on all fours. Beautiful...

Eric J

2007-11-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1045772

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Nice! And they're tasty too!
2007-11-09 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
yes, with some fava beans and a nice Chianti...

Eric J
2007-11-09 1:40 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
U CATS CRACK ME UP!! I've been behind on posting - kinda enjoying the down time. Still working out but a normal 30-40 min a day!! The will b converting to another 6 month program soon. I will re up for the next round - not sure how they transfer info or if they start fresh!

I will include you all in the next round if you want!

Starting to plan 08' - will have a plan shortly.

Michelle
2007-11-09 2:09 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I too am starting to plan out 08. I've picked out a handful of races that I'd like to do and will work with my IM coach to make sure all of them make sense to fit into the plan. I doubt I'll do a spring marathon, but rather a sprint, oly or HIM instead.

My new toy gets installed on Monday. I'm moving into training with power and have a Computrainer on the way. I'm pretty stoked to give it a try and to see how it helps me improve my cycling skills.

Stay tuned!
2007-11-09 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Have several races scheduled already but the bike racing season schedules much later than the Tri season so I have to wait for a bit....

Meantime spending time on long steady rides, steady mid-zone runs and indoor rollers and treadmill runs. Will start swimming again later on...

Eric J

2007-11-11 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Hey, all. I've got several races planned for '08, including my first half-ironman in September. My thyroid levels are finally stable, so there is no excuse for not training. We got our trainer set up this week, which will help with the cycling training this winter. When I picked it up at the tri store I told the guy there that I was excited to be getting it, and he said by the end of the winter I would be hating that thing. He acknowledged that it is a "necessary evil". We plan to pick up a few training DVDs to make the time on the trainer pass more quickly. Do you have any favorites you can recommend?

Enjoy the off-season, everyone. I am having fun working on the swim form and endurance so the first leg does not slow me down so much next year.
2007-11-12 7:13 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Spin DVD's? I've only done a few, but anything with 'Spinerval' in the title will usually whoop you. Check with your LBS for new, or I'd bet you could find some used on ebay.

Computrainer gets installed tonight after work. That should take some of the boredom out of just plain spinning. This is my first foray into the world of power training so I'm pretty excited.

2007-11-13 8:12 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
So, how's the computrainer, Leap? Maybe some day we'll get one, but we are gearing up in stages and a plain vanilla trainer was the right choice for now.

Thanks for the Spinerval suggestions - folks here on BT seem split on those. I may just put a few on my Christmas list!
2007-11-13 9:34 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Computrainer is really cool. It's got so much functionality available that I'm sure I'll only scratch the surface. The part I like best is something that's called Spinscan that analyzes the efficiency of your pedal stroke and graphically shows me the gaps. This instant feedback will help me change my old habits into new, more efficient ones.

There are many other cool features like, tons of courses, ability to race other Computrainer users, etc that I'll have to pursue and fill you in as I delve into them. I'm especially excited to try the IMWI course.

Follow the BT split with respect to spinnervals. I'd suggest buying used or borrowing from someone rather than grabbing a new one - just so you can see if you like it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnertridu Girl Group Rss Feed  

of 13