General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-26 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Subject: Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness

Hello Ladies,

Are there any women out there whose menstural cycles have started spacing way out -- a few months apart due to lots of training? 

If you happen to have PMS or other hormonal moodiness in your history, would you please tell me how a lack of cycles has affected the moodiness?

Do you find that you have less hormonal moodiness with PMS and/or the cycle itself? 

Do you find that you are perpetually in a state of PMSy moodiness?   

Do you find that you are noticeably less moody for long stretches of a few months? 

I'm a pretty danged swell person when I'm not PMSy, and then my God in heaven, it's as though I'm another person.  It is AWFUL.  I have tried various treatments for this.  Absolutely nothing works.  Exercise does diminish it.

When I was training more heavily, it caused one missed cycle but I didn't bother to pay attention to the moodiness or lack of it. 

It would seem that if there is no cycle for a couple of months, there would be no PMS for a couple of months.  Do you find this to be the case?

Thank you!

2007-05-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: #818067

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #818084

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Subject: RE: Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness

Thanks.  And thanks for the chuckle.   

Yeah, I don't want low body fat.  I have boobs and I want to keep them.  Ha!  But one wonders if lots of training would do it naturally and if it would help with the hormones.  I'll do some research. 

Danielle

2007-05-26 12:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness
I don´t have that problem you mentioned but wanted to ask where you are from as I consider myself living in the "Land of snow and Ice" as well
2007-05-26 1:00 PM

Expert
VikingMom - 2007-05-26 8:07 AM

Hello Ladies,

Are there any women out there whose menstural cycles have started spacing way out -- a few months apart due to lots of training?

If you happen to have PMS or other hormonal moodiness in your history, would you please tell me how a lack of cycles has affected the moodiness?

Do you find that you have less hormonal moodiness with PMS and/or the cycle itself?

Do you find that you are perpetually in a state of PMSy moodiness?

Do you find that you are noticeably less moody for long stretches of a few months?

I'm a pretty danged swell person when I'm not PMSy, and then my God in heaven, it's as though I'm another person. It is AWFUL. I have tried various treatments for this. Absolutely nothing works. Exercise does diminish it.

When I was training more heavily, it caused one missed cycle but I didn't bother to pay attention to the moodiness or lack of it.

It would seem that if there is no cycle for a couple of months, there would be no PMS for a couple of months. Do you find this to be the case?

Thank you!

My wife had some experiences like this. After many years of Marathons, HIMs and two IMs her body was not doing many of the "female" things.

We even did IVF last summer to get her prego's. That was after her stopping marathon and IM distance training for months and months.

Edited by magic 2007-05-26 1:01 PM
2007-05-26 2:28 PM

Master
STL

I have had amenhorea for about 2 1/2 years ( i got it back one month when my training decreased due to injury. It used to be thought that it was caused by lack of body fat, but now i think it's also attributed to other things. my obgyn didn't see a problem with it as long as i am taking calcum supplements. he said that running produces testosterone or estrogen or somehting that causes you to not menstrate. my doctor also didn't see a big problem with it being that i am not overly thin (i weight about 128/17-19%bf).

BUT, i am not moody (any more than normal Laughing)

In all honesty--i love it! i know it's not hurting me, so i don't see a problem with it...unless we decide to have another kiddo, then i'll have to change somehting!

2007-05-26 3:36 PM

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota

Joblin, you truly are from the Land of Snow and Ice!  We're in North Dakota, but we had snow this morning, so while I must concede that you are from the Land of Greater Snowiness and Iciness, snow at the end of May qualifies us in my mind.    I absolutely love it here.  After 10 years of following my husband to the jungle and then the desert, it is so GOOD to feel cold, crisp air again. 

Goobergirl, love the handle, and thanks for the input.  Were you ever subject to hormonal mood swings? 

I guess that's the question:  Can amenorrhea be a partial cure for hormonal nuttiness? 

2007-05-26 3:38 PM

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota

Magic, the same question to you -- was your wife ever a PMS nut case? 

Not everyone has this problem, and I didn't until our middle Viking came along.  Now I wish for the sake of our family that I could go live in a cave for a week every month.  LOL

2007-05-26 6:22 PM
in reply to: #818216

Expert
VikingMom - 2007-05-26 1:38 PM

Magic, the same question to you -- was your wife ever a PMS nut case?

No, not really. But I've only known her as an endurance athlete.

2007-05-26 7:48 PM

Expert
I had irregular periods for years...I assumed it was the exercise, too, but it turns out it was an endocrine thing. Might want to go get checked out and bring up the mood swings to your doctor.

Edit: I'm not saying you have the same thing, just saying that if it's something that's not normal for you and it's causing you problems, go see a doctor.

Edited by GulfCoastSwimmer 2007-05-26 7:49 PM
2007-05-27 9:24 AM
in reply to: #818215

Master
STL
In all honesty, i don't think i every really did have mood swings before...

2007-05-28 7:37 PM

I'm not sure, but it's certainly not something I'd recommend doing. Amenorrhea is strongly linked to osteoporosis, which isn't worth risking over PMS! Also, it essentially means that your body is too stressed for your offspring to survive if you tried to reproduce (since your body assumes you are doing this out of necessity and couldn't stop training so much or start eating more just because you got pregnant), so the fatigue from this would probably cause as much moodiness as the lack of hormones would prevent. If pms is driving you nuts, see your doctor about taking a birth control pill or even an antidepressants (which are marketed for "pre menstrual dysfunction disorder" aka really bad pms).
2007-05-28 8:05 PM

Master
STL
You may want to try a protein supplement. I've read that lack of protein may have something to do with it as well...
2007-05-28 9:04 PM

Veteran
SC

I have problems with PMDD and have been trying to find a natural remedy to help with the moodiness and other symptoms.  I came across this web site that has a lot of good information.

HTH! 

http://www.womentowomen.com  

Mel 

2007-05-29 12:05 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA

From what I understand (which means just that, being that I have no formal knowledge of anything, except that I read Taking Charge of your Fertility):

1) Consistent amenorrhea due to exercise is pretty extreme. There might be something else contributing.

2) PMS is a little understood beast. For instance, since you don't truly menstruate on BCPs (you just have estrogen withdrawal bleeding), you would expect PMS to go away, but this is not the case.

3) In my experience these things vary greatly from woman to woman. I would expect that the experience some people might report here could be vastly different from what you experience. Or it could be exactly the same.

There's just so much going on that you never know what or how much you're affecting when you change one little piece of the puzzle. That said, I can't imagine that exercise could be bad for your PMS, so good luck trying to tame it!

And since this rambling was mostly useless, I'll add one recommendation. I (and my husband) find PMS easier to deal with when I know exactly when it's coming. I chart my cycles to avoid pregnancy and have found it super easy and insightful. Contrary to popular belief, charting is extremely useful for irregular cycles as it can demystify what's happening and let you know when/if Aunt Flo is finally visiting! Google Taking Charge of your Fertility for info. 

2007-05-29 2:23 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
I had no periods for several years, a true cause was never really determined (though not for lack of trying-my MD was very old school and he could not STAND the idea that I wasn't menstruating at age 28).  I had just been diagnosed as being hypothyroid, was eating VERY little and training hard using more of a bodybuilding regimen (no tris back then for me).  No supplements though.  When I quit the severe dieting my periods came back.  Make a long story short, no periods = no PMS for me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female Question -- Interrupted Cycles/Amenorrhea & Lack of Moodiness Rss Feed