General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-26 9:19 PM

New user

Subject: Hello from NC
Hello,

A couple of friends talked me into taking the tri-plunge -- so here I am! My first triathlon is July 8.

I've been relatively fit most of my life (31 years), and in order to maintain that I started riding a bike. Now it appears as though I'm branching out.

My goal is to have fun and finish whatever race I start -- no matter how long it takes (with the exception of time limits, of course). I like the social aspect of cycling and hope to find the same thing by competing in triathlons with my friends.

Here's my first newb question:

Must I swim freestyle? My favorite stroke is breaststroke. If I swim breaststroke, will I be at a significant disadvantage?

D-Rock

2007-05-26 9:43 PM
in reply to: #818419

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Hello from NC

Welcome to BT! This is a great place to learn all about tris - and lots of other stuff!

As for your question, no, you don't have to swim freestyle. For my first tri, I swam almost the whole way breast stroke and still wasn't BOP. If you stick with triathlons, freestyle will help you a lot. But for your first, it's all about finishing. You'll see people swimming freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke, side stroke, doggie paddle, etc. As long as you don't have to be pulled from the water and can finish the race, you'll be fine!

Have fun tri-ing.  

2007-05-29 2:45 AM

User image

Regular
yes. technique is greater than strength. seek help. I'm coming from a swimming background. I would say breast stroke is like skipping. You wouldn't really want to skip a 5k. It is fun but not efficient and you just can't go as fast as running. It's really worth the effort to learn how to do it right.
2007-05-29 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome - and congrats on taking the first step. You'll find a ton of info/advice on this site. Your question about breast stroke is one I think we all have/had in the beginning. But as others stated - it doesn't matter what stroke you use as long as you make the distance.

Where in NC are you? I am from WNC - back in the sticks - but have become a Floridian - love the warmer weather.

Good luck - be sure to learn and utilize the site to its fullest.
2007-05-30 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Jamestown, NC
D-Rock - 2007-05-26 9:19 PM

Hello,

A couple of friends talked me into taking the tri-plunge -- so here I am! My first triathlon is July 8.

Must I swim freestyle? My favorite stroke is breaststroke. If I swim breaststroke, will I be at a significant disadvantage?

D-Rock

Whats the water quality like at Lake Crabtree these days? Why would you rather breaststroke? Does freestyle hinder breathing or something like that?
2007-07-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: #821545

New user

tntexpres - 2007-05-29 11:08 PM

Welcome - and congrats on taking the first step. You'll find a ton of info/advice on this site. Your question about breast stroke is one I think we all have/had in the beginning. But as others stated - it doesn't matter what stroke you use as long as you make the distance.

Where in NC are you? I am from WNC - back in the sticks - but have become a Floridian - love the warmer weather.

Good luck - be sure to learn and utilize the site to its fullest.

I'm in Durham -- I did the Triangle Triathlon yesterday and had a blast.

I went to school in Boone though, so I spent some time in the sticks out there too :-)

D-Rock

2007-07-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #822086

New user

tripastor - 2007-05-30 11:14 AM

Whats the water quality like at Lake Crabtree these days? Why would you rather breaststroke? Does freestyle hinder breathing or something like that?

Hmm...the water quality is such that you would not want to eat a fish if you caught it there. I did the swim without goggles and can still see, so I guess it's not too bad for a sprint. My light blue tri-tank had brown streaks on it when I finished.

Against some of the advice of others, I went ahead and did breast stroke for the whole swim and was decent for my first tri (42 out of 60 novice on the swim). My main reasons for choosing breast were:

-easier to spot / get bearings
-easier to breathe
-works the upper body more and saves the legs for what's to come

Now that I've completed my first tri, my next major training goal is to start swimming freestyle.

D-Rock
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from NC Rss Feed